Loverboy

Loverboy, Triumph, Coney Hatch, Kim Mitchell, Tom Cochrane, Glass Tiger...the list goes on...

Moderator: Andrew

Postby MCM » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:25 am

Red13JoePa wrote:There's no arguing that Reno still sounds fantastic but I just don't get the album yet.

Gonna listen again over the weekend.

Give it another listen (if you havent already), oddly enough it usually takes me a couple trips into work and back listening in the car before I "get" and album and can make a decision, but I loved this one the first time through. It's like music from my younger days, but not quite.. I think they did a very good job with staying true to their genre and style, but still updating their sound.
MCM
45 RPM

Postby Slander » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:50 am

MCM wrote:
Red13JoePa wrote:There's no arguing that Reno still sounds fantastic but I just don't get the album yet.

Give it another listen (if you havent already), oddly enough it usually takes me a couple trips into work and back listening in the car before I "get" and album and can make a decision, but I loved this one the first time through. It's like music from my younger days, but not quite.. I think they did a very good job with staying true to their genre and style, but still updating their sound.

It's terrific. It also has a Def Leppard vibe I dig. Look for Phil Collen's backing vocals on stranded!
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby silvergirl66 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:30 am

Hey Slander, awesome interview!!! You didn't tell me about this one!! I love Loverboy! I have met them several times and even hung out chatting with Paul after a show. What a great friendly group of guys, love to hear them talk. I miss Scotty and it was hard seeing them after he died. I've listened to the clips of the songs, still haven't found the cd but I will. I love it just from the clips. Hope they make it my way this summer.
silvergirl66
LP

Postby silvergirl66 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:39 am

Slander you do a great job interviewing!! Donnie O looks great for his age! He's still a cutie! How about doing a interview with Dave B. sometime? I think everyone else has about his commercials. Did you interview any of the other band members of Loverboy?
silvergirl66
LP

Postby Slander » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:05 am

silvergirl66 wrote:Slander you do a great job interviewing!! Donnie O looks great for his age! He's still a cutie! How about doing a interview with Dave B. sometime? I think everyone else has about his commercials. Did you interview any of the other band members of Loverboy?

Thanks so much Silver. I wish I had more time. I had to drive up to Canada and battle border issues! Ugh. Anyway Mike was as nice as he could be. I was never a huge fan of Loverboy when I was in high school. It wasn't until Lovin Every Minute Of It that I became a fan. I didn't get a chance to talk to anyone else in the band because we could only grab Mike before the sound check. By the way I tried to get Mickey Thomas recently and his management turned me down. I have a request out for Eddie Money. He will be playing about 20 minutes from me in March. Once again, I appereciate the kind words.
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Slander » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:07 am

silvergirl66 wrote: I've listened to the clips of the songs, still haven't found the cd but I will. I love it just from the clips. Hope they make it my way this summer.

You've got to pick up "Just Getting Started." It's like 8 bucks at Wal-Mart. I've already worn out my copy. This is the best record I have heard this year.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby silvergirl66 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:19 am

ok! got the cd and listened to it twice. This is the best effort I've heard by an old band ever of putting out a new cd. It's great! Way to go Loverboy! There are several songs I could hear on radio today. I have a question though, how the heck do you download the bonus song? Where is the number at on the cd that you have to enter, I must be doing something wrong.
silvergirl66
LP

Postby Slander » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:40 am

silvergirl66 wrote: I have a question though, how the heck do you download the bonus song? Where is the number at on the cd that you have to enter, I must be doing something wrong.

I hear you Silver! I have wondered the same damn thing. Where is the number on the cd? Was it on the wrapper that I threw away? Good questions. Glad you like the CD. I was completely blown away. Let's hope Survivor has this kind of effort in them. I for one think they do.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby RedWingFan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:41 am

silvergirl66 wrote:ok! got the cd and listened to it twice. This is the best effort I've heard by an old band ever of putting out a new cd. It's great! Way to go Loverboy! There are several songs I could hear on radio today. I have a question though, how the heck do you download the bonus song? Where is the number at on the cd that you have to enter, I must be doing something wrong.

Email the record company and they'll send you a link to download it from. The track is called "Alive" and it's pretty good.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby silvergirl66 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:00 am

thanks Redwing! I e-mailed them and they sent it right to me! Slander, I forwarded it to you.
silvergirl66
LP

Postby RedWingFan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:20 am

silvergirl66 wrote:thanks Redwing! I e-mailed them and they sent it right to me! Slander, I forwarded it to you.

No problem. Glad to help. :D
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Re: Loverboy cd

Postby RockInDetroit » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:16 am

Slander wrote:
RockInDetroit wrote:
Slander wrote:
7 Wishes wrote:
Slander wrote:
RedWingFan wrote:Just Getting Started is great! He RedWingFan here is an interview I just conducted with Mike Reno last week if you are interested. What a great guy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VDZ3AzYQRBk

Man, you don't look anything like your brother, dude. :wink:

Seriously...great interview. You're a very talented reporter, Slander. Very professional, knowledgeable, and engaging.

7 thanks for the kind words. Mike was generous with his time. He also let's you get to know him. It makes doing the interview fun. He also told me he would like to record "Remember the Heroes" again. What a great song. Thanks again 7.

When I get some freetime at home I will definitely watch your Reno interview...sounds very interested.

So he is going to remake Remember the Heroes....yes great song but what differently would he do to it? Did he not like the original version? Would it be with Hagar again?

Mike said it would be a good time to do it because of Iraq. I agree. What a great song. We just talked about it briefly. I don't think there is a plan to re-cut it. I hope he does. Doe you like hagar?

I liked hagar's solo work prior to him joining VH. Afterwards in Van Halen his solo music took a more bluey sound. Those cds had a couple interesting songs but I did not like most of that stuff. I feel both Standing Hampton and 3 Lock Box are two of my favorite cds of all time.

As for the sound Remember the Heroes, I kinda thought about the Iraq thing as a reason but then thought about Mike being Canadian.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby RockInDetroit » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:00 am

silvergirl66 wrote:Slander you do a great job interviewing!! Donnie O looks great for his age! He's still a cutie! How about doing a interview with Dave B. sometime? I think everyone else has about his commercials. Did you interview any of the other band members of Loverboy?

I had the chance to meet ‘Loverboy’ once. It was a couple years before Scott Smith died. Late 90’s. Loverboy announced during the show that those sticking around would get the opportunity to meet the band after the show. I thought that was really cool of them. But anyways, Doug Johnson skipped the fan greeting. Paul Dean was not at the show as another guy replaced him for the evening. So I met Mike, Scott and Matt…and the sub. Mike and Scott seemed very close. Scott was very outgoing, in fact too outgoing…he was hitting on my future wife. Mike was very shy, but honestly I was disappointed in him…in addition to his shyness he seemed uncomfortable and annoyed. Just not the way I was hoping for. Growing up he was one of my music idols. Matt was great (very friendly) as was the sub. I could tell another story from a concert experience, but will refrain.

I have met Eddie Money twice. He was worse than Loverboy. To him meeting fans was a part of his job and he didn’t like doing it. The first time I met him (Right Here Tour) I had a friend who worked for Sony records and he got us back stage passes. Eddie was more friendly to my friend because my friend worked to promote his music. He totally blew me off. The other time I met Eddie he was doing a promotion tour at Best Buy’s promoting his latest cd. Again he was very much looking at it as something he had to do. I tried talking to him and he was like leave me alone. He even stole me sharpy. Eddie seemed like such a fake. Watch him on tv or listen to him on the radio…he is totally different.

One thing I notice is that a lot of musicians are often friendly if you do them a favor or you are a hot chick. Musicians will be nice to you if you give them something. Like in your case Slander you are doing an interview which in turn is promotion for the band. Although maybe after the popularity wains they begin to appreciate their fans more.

These are two examples, I have met other musicians and they are great. Tom Petty for example….I met him when he was shopping at a mall when in town. This was at the height of his popularity (Southern Accents Tour) and he was very approachable. He didn’t want anything from me. And in fact he waited around while I went to find a pen to get his autograph. There are many others. Eddie Money I have to say was the worst (tie with Stephen Pearcy from RATT). I was such a big fan of his. If he only knew. Now I like his music but not the man…what a phony. Sorry Eddie I am not a hot chick or a record company executive….just someone who owns everything you have every released….what a jerk he was. Good luck with him Slander…I am sure that you tell him how many will see the interview he will agree to do it.

But back to the point, I agree the new Loverboy cd is great. Highly recommended.
Last edited by RockInDetroit on Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby Slander » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:18 am

RockInDetroit wrote:

I had the chance to meet ‘Loverboy’ once. It was a couple years before Scott Smith died. Late 90’s. Loverboy announced during the show that those sticking around would get the opportunity to meet the band after the show. I thought that was really cool of them. But anyways, Doug Johnson skipped the fan greeting. Paul Dean was not at the show as another guy replaced him for the evening. So I met Mike, Scott and Matt…and the sub. Mike and Scott seemed very close. Scott was very outgoing, in fact too outgoing…he was hitting on my future wife. Mike was very shy, but honestly I was disappointed in him…in addition to his shyness he seemed uncomfortable and annoyed. Just not the way I was hoping for. Growing up he was one of my music idols. Matt was great (very friendly) as was the sub. I could tell another story from a concert experience, but will refrain.

I have met Eddie Money twice. He was worse than Loverboy. To him meeting fans was a part of his job and he didn’t like doing it. The first time I met him (Right Here Tour) I had a friend who worked for Sony records and he got us back stage passes. Eddie was more friendly to my friend because my friend worked to promote his music. He totally blew me off. The other time I met Eddie he was doing a promotion tour at Best Buy’s promoting his latest cd. Again he was very much looking at it as something he had to do. I tried talking to him and he was like leave me alone. He even stole me sharpy. Eddie seemed like such a fake. Watch him on tv or listen to him on the radio…he is totally different.

One thing I notice is that a lot of musicians are often friendly if you do them a favor or you are a hot chick. Musicians will be nice to you if you give them something. Like in your case Slander you are doing an interview which in turn is promotion for the band. Although maybe after the popularity wains they begin to appreciate their fans more.

These are two examples, I have met other musicians and they are great. Tom Petty for example….I met him when he was shopping at a mall when in town. This was at the height of his popularity (Southern Accents Tour) and he was very approachable. He didn’t want anything from me. And in fact he waited around while I went to find a pen to get his autograph. There are many others. Eddie Money I have to say was the worst. I was such a big fan of his. If he only knew. Now I like his music but not the man…what a phony. Sorry Eddie I am not a hot chick or a record company executive….just someone who owns everything you have every released….what a jerk he was. Good luck with him Slander…I am sure that you tell him how many will see the interview he will agree to do it.

But back to the point, I agree the new Loverboy cd is great. Highly recommended.

Hey Rock,

I completely understand where you are coming from. My background is sports. I can tell you that interviewing muscians is much easier than interviewing athletes on a nightly basis. Some are great but others are complete ******. High priced athletes don't want to be bothered. They feel like you owe them something. I have met Eddie Money only once before and he was very nice to me. I'm hoping he will agree to sit down with me but believe it or not after countless emails to management I can't even get a reply. I'm going to keep trying. As far as Reno he was very nice to me even before the interview. We both joked about our weight a bit. He seemed very real. I keep you posted on the Money interview. By the way I did a similar interview with FS in 2002. Frankie really opened up and is not the person as described by most on this board. He was very generous with his time on and off camera. I got the impression he was kind of shy. I have found that when people are shy it can often be interpreted as being "stuck up" etc. I know in my line of work when I get recognized I often feel uncomfortable. It depends on the situation. Anyway I will quit rambling. It's great getting feedback from you guys.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby silvergirl66 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:42 am

RID, I KNOW WHERE YOUR COMING FROM! I sort of work in the business, at least behind the scenes. I have met lots of musicians in my lifetime and personally, I find it best to just not meet them cause I'm afraid of the let down. I looked up to so many of these guy/gals growing up, they are like heros in a sence and if they are jerks in person I just hate to be disappointed. For the most part I've had good experiences but there have been a few that have ruined it for me. So much I won't even play their music anymore :cry: I had a friend that knew Loverboy pretty well and so I got to meet them several times. Scotty was a sweety and I really like Paul D. It was really hard to see them after Scott died, what a shock. One of my favorite musicians is Tommy Shaw and I've never been able to catch him backstage. I just don't think he comes out to greet fans so I don't know what he's like in person. But Styx hasn't been the same since Glen Burtnik left. That guy is sooooo nice and what a crazy man! :lol: I sure miss him, wish he'd come back.
silvergirl66
LP

Postby Slander » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:15 am

[quote="silvergirl66"] they are like heros in a sence and if they are jerks in person I just hate to be disappointed. quote]

I met my favorite NFL player and he was a jack ass. It does let you down.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby silvergirl66 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:50 am

I really like the new cd though. There is only two tracks I'm not wild about and skip through but I think the songs are well written and have catchy hooks and keep you interested. Best cd I've bought in a awhile.
silvergirl66
LP

Postby Slander » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:57 am

silvergirl66 wrote:I really like the new cd though. There is only two tracks I'm not wild about and skip through but I think the songs are well written and have catchy hooks and keep you interested. Best cd I've bought in a awhile.

I like the fact that Mike actually went into the studio with fans on his mind. He wanted to make sure there was no filler on the cd! More artists should strive for that kind of excellence. I would like to see Andrew do an in depth interview with Reno. I didn't get as much time with Mike as I would have liked.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Red13JoePa » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:25 am

MCM wrote:

Give it another listen

I did, that's 4 spins now and I'm TRYING to love it but it keeps falling flat (in comparisson to the raves I read about it).
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Slander » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:59 am

Red13JoePa wrote:
MCM wrote:

Give it another listen

I did, that's 4 spins now and I'm TRYING to love it but it keeps falling flat (in comparisson to the raves I read about it).

Really JoePA. I thought this album would really be right up your alley. There's only 1 track I don't like on the whole thing. Do you dig "Stranded." I love the Def Leppard vibe on it. Give it another listen. LOL
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Red13JoePa » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:03 am

Does it really have Phil Collen on it?
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Slander » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:05 am

Red13JoePa wrote:Does it really have Phil Collen on it?

Yes it does. When I sat down with Reno in late January he told me about his involvement. I think it's kind of cool. I also heard that Lovin' Every Minute of it was originally meant for Leppard.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Red13JoePa » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:15 am

I have to listen for Collen.
He can flat out deal.
Covers The Faces' Stay With Me on DL's Yeah! and sounds BETTER than a young Rod Stewart.

Did he play guitar on Stranded, too?
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Slander » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:21 am

Red13JoePa wrote:I have to listen for Collen.
He can flat out deal.
Covers The Faces' Stay With Me on DL's Yeah! and sounds BETTER than a young Rod Stewart.

Did he play guitar on Stranded, too?

I don't know if he played guitar on that. I will look into it. I don't think so. I like you thought Leppard's Yeah was a pretty good record for a cover record. Back to LB's "Just Getting Started", I know you aren't crazy about ballads but I think "The One That Got Away" is one of the best I have heard on "any" record, any "genre" in a long long time. You can tell Reno is going deep into his soul to belt this one out. It is about his divorce. An event that was extremely painful for him. There is a unique sincerity that comes across on that song. It really is magic.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby mikemarrs » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:21 pm

seems most musicians will disapoint in the meet and greet department.
mikemarrs
Stereo LP

Postby mikemarrs » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:22 pm

by the way loverboy and get lucky were two of the very first albums i ever owned besides journey escape.
mikemarrs
Stereo LP

Postby mrsromek » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:06 pm

Do any of you happen to know of any recent set lists? I will be seeing them in a few weeks and am curious. Thanks!
mrsromek
45 RPM

Postby Tito » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:01 am

I believe this is my debut post down here. From the Peterik World Stage show a week ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgIGG39bZ60
Tito
Stereo LP

Postby Triple S » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:44 pm

Watching Loverboy live from Vancouver (Olympics) right now - Mike Reno sounds fabulous! I'm DVR'ing the thing so hopefully I can put some clips on YT - if not I'm sure some will show up.
Triple S
Cassette Tape

Postby 7 Wishes » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:28 pm

I wish I had known!

Reno has kept his voice in fantastic shape...truly amazing. In the same vein as John Waite and Kelly Keagy in that respect.
But around town, it was well known...when they got home at night
Their fat and psychopathic wives
Would thrash them within inches of their lives!
7 Wishes
Stereo LP

PreviousNext

Return to Canadian Rock Bands