Final Show Update Online

All past and current talk for MelodicRockFest 1, 2 and 3?

Moderator: Andrew

Final Show Update Online

Postby Andrew » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:58 am

Final Running Times and news of the opening act.
Plus more huge prizes for the Mega-Raffle.

http://www.melodicrock.com/southbend/index.html

Best Regards,
Andrew.
Andrew
Administrator

Re: Final Show Update Online

Postby Deb » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:19 pm

Andrew wrote:Final Running Times and news of the opening act.
Plus more huge prizes for the Mega-Raffle.

http://www.melodicrock.com/southbend/index.html

Best Regards,
Andrew.

Running times and prizes look great Andrew! Can't wait! :D
Image Now Playing: If That's What It Takes (Live) ~ http://youtu.be/8g2TrEdi5ZQ
Deb
MP3

Go Ahead and Rip Me!

Postby MN Rocker » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:37 am

I know all the "we're doing this for Andrew and the site" arguments, but I'm really disappointed with what I'm getting for my $$$. I would never drive thirteen hours and spend hundreds of dollars to see THIS show. I might not even drive across the street to see it. I'm sure JSS rocks, and it will be a nice nostalgic trip seeing "Glorified Cover Band" Scrap Metal, but I just won't be walking into the event with much enthusiasm. I'm sure I'll have a whale of a time anyway, but I could have a great time watching college football for free on my couch. I don't feel like I'm getting close to enough for my time and money. Harem Scarem for me was the only reason I had interest in the show. If I saw this line-up, I'd have no interest in attending the show. I feel ripped-off that Andrew did not come up with a suitable replacement. Extending sets = More of Less! You can't just erase the headliner and say it's a risk the ticket buyer is expected to take. I didn't buy my ticket for the entire event, I bought it because it was my one chance to see my favorite band. A week ago I was so pumped for this show, now I feel like I've been kicked in the gut!
MN Rocker
Fresh Air

Re: Go Ahead and Rip Me!

Postby NealIsGod » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:41 am

MN Rocker wrote:I know all the "we're doing this for Andrew and the site" arguments, but I'm really disappointed with what I'm getting for my $$$. I would never drive thirteen hours and spend hundreds of dollars to see THIS show. I might not even drive across the street to see it. I'm sure JSS rocks, and it will be a nice nostalgic trip seeing "Glorified Cover Band" Scrap Metal, but I just won't be walking into the event with much enthusiasm. I'm sure I'll have a whale of a time anyway, but I could have a great time watching college football for free on my couch. I don't feel like I'm getting close to enough for my time and money. Harem Scarem for me was the only reason I had interest in the show. If I saw this line-up, I'd have no interest in attending the show. I feel ripped-off that Andrew did not come up with a suitable replacement. Extending sets = More of Less! You can't just erase the headliner and say it's a risk the ticket buyer is expected to take. I didn't buy my ticket for the entire event, I bought it because it was my one chance to see my favorite band. A week ago I was so pumped for this show, now I feel like I've been kicked in the gut!

Don't worry, Drew. You can't please everybody.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby Granny » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:58 am

Andrew, sounds great to me especially since I have not seen many of these muscians live...

Prizes look fantastic....
Fun time for all is expected!
Carol

Granny
Stereo LP

Postby StevePerryHair » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:08 am

MN Rocker wrote:I know all the "we're doing this for Andrew and the site" arguments, but I'm really disappointed with what I'm getting for my $$$. I would never drive thirteen hours and spend hundreds of dollars to see THIS show. I might not even drive across the street to see it. I'm sure JSS rocks, and it will be a nice nostalgic trip seeing "Glorified Cover Band" Scrap Metal, but I just won't be walking into the event with much enthusiasm. I'm sure I'll have a whale of a time anyway, but I could have a great time watching college football for free on my couch. I don't feel like I'm getting close to enough for my time and money. Harem Scarem for me was the only reason I had interest in the show. If I saw this line-up, I'd have no interest in attending the show. I feel ripped-off that Andrew did not come up with a suitable replacement. Extending sets = More of Less! You can't just erase the headliner and say it's a risk the ticket buyer is expected to take. I didn't buy my ticket for the entire event, I bought it because it was my one chance to see my favorite band. A week ago I was so pumped for this show, now I feel like I've been kicked in the gut!

How are you a covers band when the ORIGINAL singers are singing their own music??? I actually thought the ticket prices were pretty cheap and reasonable too for an all day thing. I think Andrew did his best here under tough circumstances just a couple of weeks before the show. Why try to make him feel worse?
StevePerryHair
Digital Audio Tape

You are right!

Postby MN Rocker » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:08 am

I am not pleased. You are. Great for you! Why should I be happy with the situation? I'm not getting what I paid for! The ol' "suck it up" argument is ridiculous. Who wants to "suck it up" for 26 hours of driving, $500+ of spending money, and a show that hardly excites you? The "it'll still be a great show" argument is another. Maybe it will be, but I really don't feel all that excited to find out. I'd sit through seven hours of a cymbal monkey to hear Harem Scarem though. You're going for different reasons than I was, I'm cool with that, I understand that, but you're not me. I am not a jerk because I'm not happy about it. You think Neal is a god, I think he is a talented mortal. See we're different!
MN Rocker
Fresh Air

Postby LtVanish » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:09 am

I'm really excited about this show, even more excited than seeing Genesis which I'll see 2 days before. I think it is going to be a great time, and I think what will make it great is being around all the great folks that read this site. It is going to be like one giant party. Now I don't have to drive 13 hours, I'm one of the lucky ones that live in NW Indiana and have a short hour trip.
Wig Wam is the greatest band since bread was sliced.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Re: You are right!

Postby Deb » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:28 am

MN Rocker wrote:I am not pleased. You are. Great for you! Why should I be happy with the situation? I'm not getting what I paid for! The ol' "suck it up" argument is ridiculous. Who wants to "suck it up" for 26 hours of driving, $500+ of spending money, and a show that hardly excites you? The "it'll still be a great show" argument is another. Maybe it will be, but I really don't feel all that excited to find out. I'd sit through seven hours of a cymbal monkey to hear Harem Scarem though. You're going for different reasons than I was, I'm cool with that, I understand that, but you're not me. I am not a jerk because I'm not happy about it. You think Neal is a god, I think he is a talented mortal. See we're different!

I can understand your not being happy with the circumstances. Andrew isn't either. Heck, I'd be pretty bummed too if JSS or Eric Martin cancelled. But to me it is more about supporting this site that we all visit. If you're that extremely bummed about it, (driving 26 hours/$500+) then why go? All you'll be out is $47. :?
Image Now Playing: If That's What It Takes (Live) ~ http://youtu.be/8g2TrEdi5ZQ
Deb
MP3

Postby NealIsGod » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:37 am

MN Rocker wrote:I am not pleased. You are. Great for you! Why should I be happy with the situation? I'm not getting what I paid for! The ol' "suck it up" argument is ridiculous. Who wants to "suck it up" for 26 hours of driving, $500+ of spending money, and a show that hardly excites you? The "it'll still be a great show" argument is another. Maybe it will be, but I really don't feel all that excited to find out. I'd sit through seven hours of a cymbal monkey to hear Harem Scarem though. You're going for different reasons than I was, I'm cool with that, I understand that, but you're not me. I am not a jerk because I'm not happy about it. You think Neal is a god, I think he is a talented mortal. See we're different!

Who called you a jerk? I think your reasons are valid. And I think Drew is doing his best to get through this. All I said was you can't please everybody. Why don't you direct your anger toward the members of Harem Scarem that screwed Drew over by not getting their shit together properly?
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby MN Rocker » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:37 am

I think Scrap Metal will be good, but the name itself tells you they aren't the real deal. I have no problem with the ticket price, just when you add up the weekend, it isn't worth the total, to me. And about the circumstances, Andrew brought those on himself when he promoted a show months ago that said Harem Scarem. It didn't say...hopefully, maybe, possibly, likely, more than likely....it said Harem Scarem WAS playing. What happened after may not necessarily be his fault, and I'm sure he's man enough to not take it personally.
MN Rocker
Fresh Air

Postby Moon Beam » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:51 am

Hey MN Rocker

The less sour lemons at the show the better.
If you go with the kind of attitude as you've shown above then
I find it hard to believe you would have a good time even if it were free.
Just can't please some folks I guess.
Why don't you take some of the frustration you have out on the ones
that caused their own cancellation.....it's not Andrew's fault they didn't get their visa's in time.
http://moonbeamsmindgrounds.blogspot.com/
Good, Bad Or Ugly, Live It, Love It Or Leave It.
Moon Beam
Digital Audio Tape

Postby WalrusOct9 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:12 am

I see where he's coming from though. It's only a 2 hour drive from Chicago, so it's not a big deal...I'm really, really bummed about HS, but JSS is worth a 2 hour drive for me.

But, having driven upwards of 10-12 hours for a show, and flown to the other side of the country (twice) to see Toto, I don't blame him one bit for feeling the way he does...huge expenses and 10+ hours travel each way is a bit much for a "suck it up and enjoy the rest of it" type concert.

If Harem had any balls they'd come play the show anyway and just not tell anyone about it. It's not like they ever have a reason to come back to the U.S. anyway. :roll:
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby Moon Beam » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:17 am

I can understand the loss of anyone being on the shit end of the stick
in this situation, however I think that Harem Scarem should either come and play for free
if that would eliminate the red tape of working visa's or reimburse their fans that feel cheated.
What I don't understand is why it's Andrew's problem and not Harem Scarem's.
http://moonbeamsmindgrounds.blogspot.com/
Good, Bad Or Ugly, Live It, Love It Or Leave It.
Moon Beam
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Andrew » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:39 am

MN Rocker wrote:I know all the "we're doing this for Andrew and the site" arguments, but I'm really disappointed with what I'm getting for my $$$.

Then contact me for a refund. I may not be getting any money back from Harem, but I'll pay the refund myself.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby NealIsGod » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:11 am

Andrew wrote:
MN Rocker wrote:I know all the "we're doing this for Andrew and the site" arguments, but I'm really disappointed with what I'm getting for my $$$.

Then contact me for a refund. I may not be getting any money back from Harem, but I'll pay the refund myself.

THAT'S a stand up guy.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby StevePerryHair » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:12 am

NealIsGod wrote:
Andrew wrote:

THAT'S a stand up guy.

I was thinking the same thing 8)
StevePerryHair
Digital Audio Tape

Postby gordon » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:33 pm

Choices and opinions guys,choices and opinions.So far ive shelled out £600 for this trip (which at todays rate is $1,213)this is before i spend a dollar once i get over there(coming over from England)so this trip will probably run upto and over $1,500.Now trust me i am by no way rich or well off (i cant even afford to subscribe to mr x ).This money im spending is what ive saved up for what we say in England "a rainy day".Im also aware that a good few more people will be travelling further and spending more than me.When me and my wife decide to go some where or do something we decide to have a good time,no matter where we are or what we do its in our MIND to enjoy ourselves no matter what.I feel sorry for those guys who were looking forward to seeing Harem Scarem,its a bummer.I feel sorry for Andrew,the has and is trying his damdest to give us a great day.So guys,voice your opinons(quickley)and make your choices but lets not beat each other up over this.(i know thats part of the fun over here)
gordon
Radio Waves

Postby Mark H » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:18 am

I know many must be pissed that HS aren't playing..me too.

Like Gordon, I'm flying over from the UK and HS were the clincher that made me decide to come. JSS will be fantastic - I'veseen him loads of times and will be again in November. All the other artists are of interest but would not have made me shell out best part of $1000 so far on their own, although I am looking forward to JLT and Chalfont.

However, I know it will be a fantastic gig anyway - I always go the Gods/Firefest gigs in the UK, often not knowing many of the acts beforehand - and am always blown away by the bands - the calibre here is even higher.

Bring it on - beer n loud music...it don't really get any better.

Oh and Y&T the night before.
' hey honey you look hot tonite.... can you feel the itch from a man in tights'
Wig Wam - Rock my ride

http://www.myspace.com/securitymark
Mark H
Ol' 78

Postby AR » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:34 am

Mark H wrote:I know many must be pissed that HS aren't playing..me too.

Like Gordon, I'm flying over from the UK and HS were the clincher that made me decide to come. JSS will be fantastic - I'veseen him loads of times and will be again in November. All the other artists are of interest but would not have made me shell out best part of $1000 so far on their own, although I am looking forward to JLT and Chalfont.

However, I know it will be a fantastic gig anyway - I always go the Gods/Firefest gigs in the UK, often not knowing many of the acts beforehand - and am always blown away by the bands - the calibre here is even higher.

I like Y&T a lot, but the party on Friday at the Residence Inn is going to be epic. Besides, Y&T almost never play "Don't Stop Running" which was their biggest song. WTF is up with that?????????
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Mark H » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:32 am

AR wrote:
Mark H wrote:I know many must be pissed that HS aren't playing..me too.

I like Y&T a lot, but the party on Friday at the Residence Inn is going to be epic. Besides, Y&T almost never play "Don't Stop Running" which was their biggest song. WTF is up with that?????????

AR - any chance the Residence party will continue on Saturday night after the gig, as I'm staying in South Bend that night, not too far from the Residence.
' hey honey you look hot tonite.... can you feel the itch from a man in tights'
Wig Wam - Rock my ride

http://www.myspace.com/securitymark
Mark H
Ol' 78

Postby nicoli.q » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:32 am

Like others have been saying, I'm confused as to why you think it's ANDREW'S fault...not Harem Scarem's. They didn't even go to their booking agent for advice about playing this show when, regardless of whether or not it's a part of their label's touring plan, they clearly shouldn't have been making those kinds of decisions without him. I'm sure Harem Scarem has a lot of smart music business-minded members, but they are still probably not experts on US immigration and travel laws when it comes to work or study vs. recreation. They could face serious shit if they were caught playing a show when they only have a travel visa--for example, if an immigration agent just HAPPENED to be at that show because they had a tip-off that there was a band from out of the country, and they found out said band didn't have the proper documentation, Harem Scarem could not only be deported, but each of the members would be forbidden from entering the country for the next five to ten years. That's pretty heavy shit for a one-time gig.

Yes, Andrew was trying to find replacements, and considering the people he tried to talk to about it, I'd say he busted his ass for fans like you. However, it's not his fault. With a time constraint like the one he was left with, who would be able to play on such short notice? If he'd known about Harem Scarem's withdrawal maybe two months ago, he'd have had more luck finding someone. Instead, he was a victim of circumstance...JUST LIKE YOU.

If this show is going to be such a downer for you, do as others have been saying--DON'T GO. You'll only be disappointed, and you'll be a wet blanket for everyone else who's trying to have fun. Plus, you'll only be down $50 as opposed to the $500 you'd spend by going. If you wanted so badly to see Harem Scarem that you were going to spend that much money, why didn't you go to their September show in Toronto, when it would have been just them playing? The plane tickets and accommodations would probably amount to about the same price. Or, you could even splurge and go to Firefest on October 29th, and then do some London sight-seeing. Seriously.
nicoli.q
Fresh Air

When did I blame Andrew?

Postby MN Rocker » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:43 am

I never once BLAMED Andrew for anything. I'm just disappointed that he and Harem Scarem couldn't get visas worked out over a 2+ month time period. Who's fault was it? Most assuredly though, it was not my fault, and it is the ticket-buying fan who's left holding the bag on this one. What disappoints me about Andrew though, is that he was unable to add a suitable replacement for his headline act. Maybe it was impossible, but the post about not adding another act and working in longer breaks to make the show BETTER is utterly ridiculous. I haven't appreciated his tone about refunds either. Continuously pointing out that "the refunds are coming from my pocket" makes asking for a refund, which seems perfectly acceptable under the conditions, seem like a personal attack on the guy. A person can be appreciative of all that Melodicrock.com is, supportive of Andrew, and still be unhappy about all of this. Nobody said he didn't try his best, nobody said he still didn't put together a decent show, I think the impassioned discourse on this matter only shows our love for Rock, the way it should be played. Live and Loud!
MN Rocker
Fresh Air

Postby mrsromek » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:35 am

I am not travelling as far as some of you, but I am still looking forward to this. A nice weekend away with the Mrs., some great tunes and $100 for two tickets. Genesis are costing me $150+ each, and VH are $160 each, so this is a deal. Being able to meet some of them and get a few CDs signed...that would be icing on the cake. Plus, I will buy some merch as well. I have visited this site daily, and will continue to do so. As far as bands not being able to make it, well, oh well. Shit happens and the show must go on. I am looking forward to meeting some fellow rock fans there as well!
mrsromek
45 RPM

Postby Blondie » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:39 am

No, you're a jerk for complaining about it and intentionally making people feel bad.
"I still cling to hope, and I believe in love and that's faith enough for me"-RUSH

"Life's too short to be a dumbass" - Me

www.myspace.com/blondiesc
Blondie
8 Track

Re: When did I blame Andrew?

Postby Andrew » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:25 pm

MN Rocker wrote:I never once BLAMED Andrew for anything. I'm just disappointed that he and Harem Scarem couldn't get visas worked out over a 2+ month time period. Who's fault was it? Most assuredly though, it was not my fault, and it is the ticket-buying fan who's left holding the bag on this one. What disappoints me about Andrew though, is that he was unable to add a suitable replacement for his headline act. Maybe it was impossible, but the post about not adding another act and working in longer breaks to make the show BETTER is utterly ridiculous. I haven't appreciated his tone about refunds either. Continuously pointing out that "the refunds are coming from my pocket" makes asking for a refund, which seems perfectly acceptable under the conditions, seem like a personal attack on the guy. A person can be appreciative of all that Melodicrock.com is, supportive of Andrew, and still be unhappy about all of this. Nobody said he didn't try his best, nobody said he still didn't put together a decent show, I think the impassioned discourse on this matter only shows our love for Rock, the way it should be played. Live and Loud!

Please contact me for your refund.

With best regards,
Andrew.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Andrew » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:26 pm

mrsromek wrote:I am not travelling as far as some of you, but I am still looking forward to this. A nice weekend away with the Mrs., some great tunes and $100 for two tickets. Genesis are costing me $150+ each, and VH are $160 each, so this is a deal. Being able to meet some of them and get a few CDs signed...that would be icing on the cake. Plus, I will buy some merch as well. I have visited this site daily, and will continue to do so. As far as bands not being able to make it, well, oh well. Shit happens and the show must go on. I am looking forward to meeting some fellow rock fans there as well!

Thanks!
The guys will definitely hang and sign stuff and I appreciate the comment about buying merch.
Andrew
Administrator

Re: When did I blame Andrew?

Postby Aaron » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:30 pm

Ok dude, you comments have been noted multiple times now. The bottom line is this scene is very small and some hick-ups can be expected. I expect Drew will be lucky break even on this deal. If you look at the seating price and the number of seats available, there isn't a lot of money in this for anyone. Drew is pulling this deal together for the melodic rock scene. Are there any of these artist that are my absolute favorites, no. I'm going because I want to support Drew and the scene as it's pretty small any more and I still love the music. Am I disappointed HS isn't playing, yes. Am I bitching about it and asking for a refund, no. If you'll quit dragging the whole scene down by stopping your bitching I'll refund your tickets myself. Deal?

MN Rocker wrote:I never once BLAMED Andrew for anything. I'm just disappointed that he and Harem Scarem couldn't get visas worked out over a 2+ month time period. Who's fault was it? Most assuredly though, it was not my fault, and it is the ticket-buying fan who's left holding the bag on this one. What disappoints me about Andrew though, is that he was unable to add a suitable replacement for his headline act. Maybe it was impossible, but the post about not adding another act and working in longer breaks to make the show BETTER is utterly ridiculous. I haven't appreciated his tone about refunds either. Continuously pointing out that "the refunds are coming from my pocket" makes asking for a refund, which seems perfectly acceptable under the conditions, seem like a personal attack on the guy. A person can be appreciative of all that Melodicrock.com is, supportive of Andrew, and still be unhappy about all of this. Nobody said he didn't try his best, nobody said he still didn't put together a decent show, I think the impassioned discourse on this matter only shows our love for Rock, the way it should be played. Live and Loud!
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby axecrew » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:09 pm

Excellant Post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
axecrew
LP

Postby Don Wishon » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:25 pm

Andrew wrote:
mrsromek wrote:I am not travelling as far as some of you, but I am still looking forward to this. A nice weekend away with the Mrs., some great tunes and $100 for two tickets. Genesis are costing me $150+ each, and VH are $160 each, so this is a deal. Being able to meet some of them and get a few CDs signed...that would be icing on the cake. Plus, I will buy some merch as well. I have visited this site daily, and will continue to do so. As far as bands not being able to make it, well, oh well. Shit happens and the show must go on. I am looking forward to meeting some fellow rock fans there as well!

Thanks!
The guys will definitely hang and sign stuff and I appreciate the comment about buying merch.

Merch and raffle tickets, Andrew...no problem. Maybe all of us combined can make up the difference. Hopefully, with some of the radio promotions (have you contacted Cara and the Loop?)...you can get a decent walk-up on Saturday. Jim Peterik is always good for a couple hundred in Chicago.
Don Wishon
Ol' 78

Next

Return to MelodicRockFest