Journey Force

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Journey Force

Postby donnaplease » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Someone posted some of the old interviews from back in the day. I was thinking this would be the perfect place to resurrect some of that for those of us that either didn't get it then, or just plain don't remember it. Is that a project someone would be willing to undertake?
Last edited by donnaplease on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
donnaplease
Stereo LP

Postby SP Fan in Oregon » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:58 pm

Many of the Journey Force Newsletters and all Steve Perry Interviews are posted
at www.fortheloveofsteveperry.com

although I agree with you that it would be nice to have everything under one roof...
SP Fan in Oregon

Postby Laydee » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:27 am

Ask and ye shall receive.....

Journey Force: Street Talk Interview

"Shoulder to shoulder, push and shove, I'm hangin' up my boxin' gloves. I'm ready for a long, long vacation..." When we spoke with Steve, he was catching up on some rest & relaxation... taking time to visit family & friends, doing some traveling and riding his new Harley...

Force: After the rigors of a tour, it must be nice to take some time off and just relax. What have you been doing on your vacation?

Steve: I've been riding my Harley, and working on it.

Force: What kind of bike is it?

Steve: It's a Softtail, and I've really been enjoying it. It's great to be able to take my mind off everything except just tinkering with my Harley. I've been polishing it, I've been tightening it down... anybody who has a Harley knows that if you ride them, you've got to tighten them down. (laughter) I've been riding around the San Joaquin Valley a lot, between the orange trees and the mountains. My dad has a Harley, also and we ride together. I find riding very relaxing.

Force: Do you get recognized much when you are out riding?

Steve: Yeah, but it's okay. It's fine. I don't mind being recognized. I enjoy people, I have a good time wherever I go, with whoever I'm with. There are times when I go away to hide, but I do that in different places.

Force: Is it hard having a private life when you are such a public figure?

Steve: I don't know how public I am, but I guess, to a degree, I am. I don't think about myself that way -- I try not to, so I can continue to live my life. Sometimes I do forget. I just think 'I'm Steve Perry, I'm just me.' But people remind me that, no, I'm Steve Perry, and I know that (laughter). When I go places, sometimes I do forget. I know that may sound silly, but I don't keep that in front of my face all the time.

Force: Now that the tour is over, and you're talking some time of, the Journey breakup rumors have already started. Does that bother you?

Steve: Yeah, but it seems to happen all the time. Every time Steve Perry or anyone else does a solo album or another project, the rumors go wild. Then Journey makes another album and goes on the road, and as soon as the tour is over, the rumors start again.

Force: Do you have a favorite album of all the ones you've done with Journey?

Steve: Hmmm. I don't really know. I think it would have to be songs, not albums. 'Something To Hide' off the Infinity album is still of of my favorites. I also like 'Happy To Give' off Raised On Radio.

Force: How do you feel "Raised On Radio" stacks up with the other Journey releases?

Steve: There were some pretty intense circumstances during the making of that album. The band, in the studio, had an explosive falling apart then. Jon, Neal and I ended up standing together, as anyone who reads the newsletters remembers. That really did happen. We didn't really have a band at the time to go in and play and rehearse a lot of the stuff. We went in to cut an album as opposed to going in to write, record and perform this stuff prior. I think it turned out exactly like that. it does have a different texture to it -- a different approach. I think that is good.

Force: You and the rest of the members of Journey went home with quite a few Bammies this year. How did you feel about receiving your awards?

Steve: It was so great to be chosen. I was really, really pleased. I just can't put it into words. Now I think I'm in the BAMMIE'S Hall of Fame... I'm not eligible for anymore awards in the Male Vocalist category.
Laydee
45 RPM

Postby Laydee » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:28 am

Journey Force: "A Chat With Steve"

We're getting ready to give Steve a call to see what's happening with his album. Interested? Well, pick up the phone and listen in...

Force: The fan club has been inundated with letters and calls about your album. Help! Can you give us an update?

Steve: I have completed and mixed twelve songs and I have one or two more that I want to record. I'll start doing that sometime in the near future, and then the whole thing will be done! After that, who knows?

Force: How about a tour?

Steve: I really can't say what's going to happen with touring aspect. I would love to perform. It's been a long tome and I remember enjoying it very much. It does seem like a long time ago. When I got up with Bon Jovi at Shoreline here in the Bay area, something automatic came over me. I didn't realize it was there because it had been so long. The automatic feeling kicked in and I felt very, very at homeout there on that stage. It was a great experience for me, so I would like to get out there, definitely.

Force: A lot of people miss you, that's for sure.

Steve: That's really nice to know.

Force: Do you have an estimate of when the album will be out?

Steve: Right now, in the wake of losing another family member, I'm just going to head down to the Valley and then I may jump on my motorcycle again and cruise up to the mountains. That always helps. Yesterday I drove down the coast and just checked out some of the beautiful sights. I just lost my grandmother... my father's mother. She was 89 years old and was doing great until about a year and a half ago. Then her quality of life turned on her. At least now she's not in any discomfort. Once I've taken some time for that, I don't know what I'll do. I'll probably go back to Los Angeles and start working again.

Force: A couple of people mentioned seeing you at the Hanford Fair recently.

Steve: Yeah, I was in Hanford for a whole week and I went to the fair about four times. I got to see the pigs and the cows; I hung out and ate all the junk food and checked out the rides. (laughs) The fair was fun. I never get the chance to go to the fair.

Force: Were you recognized?

Steve: It happened, but it was okay. I have no problem with that. That doesn't affect me in the same way it used to. Things are different in my life. If people recognize me and they are nice, it is a great experience. Occasionally I might get somebody who isn't pleasant and then it might not be a pleasant experience, but I'd say 99 percent of the time it's nice. It's always people who like Journey or who like my voice or there is something about a certain period in their life that they will never forget. The other day someone came up to me and said that they will never forget that their prom song was "Open Arms" Some kids will come up and say that "Oh, Sherrie" is their favorite song. When those things happen, it's great. It's incredible. It's amazing that you can have an opportunity to touch people in that way. We've been able to do that individually and collectively.

Force: Did you find it hard to have an intimacy with the fans when Journey was touring and playing such big arenas? It seems like you would be able to establish a closer rapport with the audience playing smaller places, like clubs

Steve: That's true to some extent, but when we were playing big arenas, most people walked out of there feeling an intimacy anyway - at least that's what I tried to put across. I was raised to believe that you are supposed to go out there and perform, interface, communicate and enjoy. The audience enjoys the performance and you enjoy them enjoying the performance and it goes back and forth. Everybody shares a great moment, all together. At some of the shows I've seen lately, I just don't get any of that. I see a big emotional isolation between the audience and the person up there performing. That isn't what I learned from the people I admired and I don't understand it. Things have really changed and to a degree it's sad because I think the audience notices those things. They are there with their minds and most hearts don't lie. If you're listening with that kind of emotionalism, it's easy to notice when something doesn't feel right.

Force: Well, we know you've got things to take care of, so we'll let you go. We're all very sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother and we appreciate you taking the time to talk. Take care of yourself.

Steve: Thanks, I really appreciate everybody's kindness, and I'll be talking to you again soon!
Laydee
45 RPM

Postby Laydee » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:29 am

Journey Force Interview: Honest Passion

With the beginning of a new year come plans for several new and exciting projects for the members of Journey. We recently spoke with Steve, who filled us in on what he's been up to and what lies ahead...

Force: What have you been doing to keep yourself busy lately?

Steve: Hum... what have I been doing? Well, I started off by riding my motorcycle a lot, but lately I've been spending most of my time with my grandfather, who lives on the coast of southern California. He's 88 years old and quite ill. It just seemed more important to me to spend time with him instead of going directly into the studio or writing music. It felt like the thing I wanted to do. He's even more ill right now than he was, so I'm still going down there an awful lot. You just happened to catch me at home for a few days before I'm heading back down there. I have written a lot of material, and I'm going to start writing again here pretty quick. I'm planning to do another solo record at some point in time.

This past summer, I had an opportunity to sing with the Everly Brothers. They were playing at Great America. Larry Londin, who did some work on the last Journey record and my solo project, was on tour for a short time with them. I went to see them; Don and Phil are really nice guys. They asked me to come onstage. I was really shocked because I've been told they have never asked anyone to come onstage. They asked me to come on and sing 'Let It Be Me'. It was the same song I did at Neal's wedding, but this time we did three part, and I sang the third part above.. It sounded like the Everly Brothers, the Sons of The Pioneers, and Journey combined. It sounded great and it was really, really a highlight and a lot of fun because I hadn't sung in front of people since the tour ended.

Force: Do you have a timetable set for your solo project yet?

Steve: I'll probably start working on it within the next month. I've been trying to find the honest passion to do it. I feel that no matter what type of music anyone decides to go after, or any project I want to be involved in, it has to have the passion to it. If there is no passion for the music, there's no need to make it. Right now, the passion is starting to come.

Force: Is that what you need before you start writing tunes... an inspiration?

Steve: I need the hunger and the passion to really do it. I don't just want to jump in there because it's time, or people want it. It's great that people are saying they'd really like to have me do another album, but it really has to come from the heart or it doesn't sound right, whether it's a solo project or something from Journey.

Force: So, right now you are basically just formulating your plans for what you will be doing in the next year.

Steve: Yeah, like I said, I'll probably start doing a record because I'm getting pretty passionate for music again.

Force: Do you think Journey would get together for special projects now and then, like for a benefit concert?

Steve: I really can't predict anything. It's just too difficult to know where everyone will be at any one given time. That's too much in the future, and I really have to live in the present second right now. I think Jon and Neal are doing the same thing. I spoke with Steve Smith and went out to his house, and he has a studio there now. I had no idea that he had built a full-fledged, functional recording studio in his house. I listened to his next solo record that's coming out, and I was really excited. He's playing incredibly! At the present time he's on the road with a group called the Jazz Explosion Super Band, with Stanley Clarke, Allen Holdsworth, Bernard Wright, Randy Brecker and Airto. They're touring with a super rock/jazz fusion experiment. It's really sounds incredible. It was so great talking to him and listening to his record.

Force: Are you still flying helicopters?

Steve: Yes, I've been flying helicopters all year. I've been flying over Yosemite, and this time of year it's truly an incredible sight. I've flown to the coast a few times, down to southern California. I'm riding my Harley, and that's been wonderful. Thanks to some friends of mine. I recently got to contact some great old musicians that I hadn't seen in years. It was such a big surprise to me; we all got together and jammed at one time. It was fantastic... on my 35th birthday. Speaking of my birthday, I'd like to send a personal message to everyone who send those wonderful Christmas and birthday gifts and cards. I have seen them all, and I really, really appreciate them. I don't get a chance to personally contact everyone as much as I'd like to, but I did recently call a Force member who sent me this beautifully embroidered Musician's Prayer. I called her on the phone one day to thank her. It just so happened that, for some odd reason, she had it framed in the same material that I had recently used to frame a photo of my grandfather and grandmother. It was a photo of them when they were 35 years old, and I found it in my mother's garage. I had it framed in the same material, so it was very coincidental that when she sent me this really nice prayer, the frames were alike. I also recently phoned the man who bought my red '63 T-Bird and he said it's running better than ever. He's really pleased to have it; it's been his toy and brought him a lot of joy. That's what I wanted and I was really glad to know it's in good hands. Even though I threw it to the mercy of the KQED (public television) auction, I'm glad it ended up in someone's hands that really, really appreciate it. They're taking care of it and I have visitation rights still! Maybe I'll use it in a video sometime.

Force: How would you describe a person who listens to Journey?

Steve: It seems like the fans that have been following all the musical endeavors that we individually and collectively have been through during the years are a special breed and quality of people who have an ear for music that is different than most. There seems to be a special kind of a passion for them to want something out of the ordinary, something different. They aren't necessarily all mainstream people, so they are individualists and I like that. I think it's a special breed of people that live their life the way they want, and choose their music to fit their life. It's nice to meet these people on the streets because you can tell right off the bat that they are selective in what they do. I'm really happy that some of the things they do choose to select and enjoy is the music that we have been involved in. It's such a pleasurable experience to meet them

Force: It must be very inspiring to know that will all of the changes and all the things that have happened to Journey over the years, you still have a great solid base of followers.

Steve: It IS very inspiring. In fact, that reminds me of something a friend of mind told me. She had been watching television and 'Foolish Heart' came on. After the video was over, the VJ started apologizing for something he had said in regards of Steve Perry and Journey earlier on in the week. My friend wasn't sure exactly what was said as she didn't hear the original remark. Apparently, he (the VJ) made some negative remarks and got flooded with letters and cards from angry viewers. After the video, he was saying, "... and that was Steve Perry and 'Foolish Heart'. I'd like to apologize for anything I said before that might have been taken wrong. I was just joking, but apparently it wasn't taken that way judging from all the cards and letters I received. I really do like Steve Perry and Journey, and I didn't mean to say anything to offend anyone..." That whole thing just proves to me how great our fans area and how much they do support us, no matter if it's and individual project or a collective one.

Force: What are the plans for Journey at this point?

Steve: The plan is that Journey is unplugged right now. At first Jon and Neal were thinking of going on with the name. Then we all talked about it and it was decided that we're just going to hold on and keep the legacy pure so to speak, to just let it be what it was and see what it will be someday. You never know. But right now there are no plans.

Force: You want to keep the possibility open so that the three of you can get back together for another album and tour and the opportunity is there?

Steve: That was the intention by not going on and letting someone carry on the name and change the singer. If you did that, I think the group would be a little bit difficult to return to. So, that's basically the positive end of it and we're just going to roll with it and see what happens. Life has no guarantees for anyone. You just keep all your doors open and see what happens when you get to that particular door. You just never know. There is so much health and well being that has to play in everything. People may not be healthy or well enough, or just may not want to... God forbid someone becoming tragically ill. You just never know what can happen in life, so the best thing is to keep options (pauses) and just live moment by moment, day by day.
Laydee
45 RPM

Postby Laydee » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:30 am

Journey Force Interview: "Reflections"

Force: We've received a tremendous amount of calls and letters in response to the Christmas card that you sent out and the donations you made to the Northern California Earthquake Relief Fund on behalf of the members.

Force. Were you here when the earthquake hit?

Steve: No, I was in Los Angeles. I was in the studio when my accountant called and told me that there was a serious earthquake in San Francisco. My first impression was that it was just another quake, because we have so many rumbles all the time. When I got back to the hotel, I turned on the television. The Bay Area couldn't get their systems up but they were feeding into the network so in L.A. we could get more information than San Francisco could. We saw footage down here that was just frightening. For the first time in my life, I can't even remember, when, I truly, truly felt emotionally homeless. It threw me back pretty hard and the next day I felt exactly what I thought I wouldn't feel. Everybody talks about the post-stress syndrome; I thought, 'oh sure, I won't go through that.' It hit even harder the next day, especially when I was trying to reach people I knew up there. It took two or three days before I could get through. Finally a friend got a message to me through my office... an early, early morning call. It was a pretty frightening experience, I'm sure, for everybody who was there but I think it was equally as frightening for people who weren't there.

Force: That's interesting because we've talked to so many people who were here but we haven't talked to many people who live in the Bay Area but weren't here, to see how they felt about it. You mentioned you were in L.A. working on your album. How's that coming?

Steve: (pauses, then laughs)

Force: See how we eased into that one? Set him up with the earthquake question, then...

Steve: (more laughter) There you are, you ask me about the earthquake which is a very, very sensitive issue with me because it opened up a lot of feelings and I confronted a lot of my fears personally about life and things. Then you say 'and speaking of the earthquake, how's the record coming.' (laughs) You should work for CBS News or something. (more laughter) Well, about the record... when you're writing songs recording them and singing them, there are certain jobs to be done and you do them when they present themselves. That's what I've been doing. I've been taking care of the singing part of it, and now I'm in the mixing stage on most of the songs. I'm not quite sure if I've even finished. I can only continue to work on the record like a painting. When it's done you pull back and say 'I'm dropping the brush. I don't want to put any more paint on this.' That's the balance, to know when to stop. I understand that, but at the same time I'm really enjoying the making of this record and when you do something you enjoy doing, it's kind of hard to stop. I guess if anybody else wants to enjoy it, I should get it done!!!!

Force: There are a lot of people who are anxious to hear it and see it out.

Steve: So am I! I'm anxious to hear it and see it out, too. (laughs) I'd like to hear it on the radio just once. I mean I've heard so many groups out right now that sound so much like Journey it's just amazing to me. I think we've had this conversation before, but I think the intensity and the clone-ability of groups copying the Journey essence is amazing. I've always heard that imitation is the highest form of flatter, but I don't know. (laughs) It's obviously making some people happy, whether someone else plays it and it sounds like Journey or Journey plays it, the music makes people happy so I guess that's not a bad thing.

Force: A few months back you went onstage here in the Bay Area and performed a few songs with Bon Jovi. How did it feel being back onstage again?

Steve: (pauses) Wow. I'd forgotten what it felt like to be onstage. I was really, really pleased that Jon (Bon Jovi) was so insistent on me going out there and doing that because I came to watch them do their show and he was the one who kept saying 'come on!' I was saying 'Jon, this is your crowd; they love you. This is your show. I just came to watch you guys play. I'm more than happy to enjoy your show just as I'm sure the audience has come to see you for the same reason.' He kept on going 'no, no, no, no. You've gotta come up, man. We'll do this Sam Cooke tune "Bring It On Home To Me." We also did "Reach Out" by The Four Tops. "Reach Out" was a song he'd seen Journey do at the Meadowlands in NJ just before Bon Jovi started their tour. He knew "Reach Out" and they were doing it, so I said 'well, I'd love to do it.' I hadn't been out there in a couple of years, so I grabbed the mic and said to myself, 'I'm just going to go out there and enjoy myself.' And I did; I enjoyed it very much. A friend of mine who works on the Bon Jovi crew gave me a microphone that he had for years. I used it on the Infinity tour and I couldn't believe that he had this same mic and I recognized it. It really was a fun thing and it was great to hear and see the crowd's response. It made me very happy!!!!

Force: The crowd response was pretty overwhelming. Since you enjoyed being onstage again and everyone obviously enjoyed watching you perform, is it something you want to do behind the solo record?

Steve: Well, that's out of my hands. I don't know what will happen. I'm just trying to do the best I can to live a good, quality life and make some quality music. If the record is successful and if it seems like people want to see me go out on tour, then I guess that's something I would love to do. But that's not in my hands, really.

Force: We wanted to wish you a happy belated birthday. Did you do anything special?

Steve: Not really, I spent a pretty quiet birthday. I was staying at a hotel and they were nice enough to give me a cake. I took it down to the office and shared it with the staff. We all sat around, had coffee and cake, talked and laughed... it was good. Also, I've gotten a lot of letters and cards from all the fan club members who wished me happy birthday, which is really uplifting and nice. Birthdays were always something very special that my mom took extremely joy with. Of course, I could never understand why. I mean, she had me that day. (laughs) She used to really enjoy doing the birthday thing. Now, when birthdays do come, I have to stay focused on the importance of that day. It was really a day of celebration from my mother's standpoint that she had a son. I can look back and say that was the day my mom had a son and I became... me! It has a lot to do with parents and gratefulness for what you have and what you've been given.

Force: We've entered a new decade.... the 1990's. Did you make any resolutions?

Steve: (pauses) I did make some, but they are just like the things you say to yourself when you blow out the candles on your birthday cake. They are best not to be said because they are personal, maybe even emotional desires that you want to give yourself as a gift so you can feel better about your life. Those are the kind of things I've given myself or tried to allow myself to have, but as far as any outside goals, I really don't have any. Most of the goals for 1990 are internal for me. I feel if I can meet those internal accomplishments then everything else will just be better.

Force: You have written a lot of great lyrics over the years. Do you have a personal favorite?

Steve: (pauses) There's so many of them that I don't know. If you look at the entire time that I was in Journey and then the solo material, too, there are so many lyrics. The lyrics that bring hope are the ones I like the most. Songs like 'Don't Stop Believin'' and 'Be Good To Yourself.' 'Be Good To Yourself' is a really powerful song about putting too much importance on the outside of what people do or don't give you. You know when nobody else will, you'd better be good to yourself because nobody out there is going to give you what you really need. You have to give that to yourself. That lyric is pretty prominent in my mind right now, but there are a lot of them that are my favorites for so many different reasons. That's a hard question.

Force: Is there anything that you would change in your life if you could go back in time?

Steve: Regrets are tough. I don't really know how to answer that. To go back and say 'if I had it to do over again, maybe I wouldn't have been this way in that certain circumstances,' or 'I wished I would have been more like I am now' is unfair because I had to work my way through so many things. Unfortunately, some of the residue of me being a certain way in my past got me to where I can look at it objectively now and think 'I feel better now', or 'I wish I would have done something differently.' It's hard to go back and have regret for something I've done only because those things have played an important part in the big picture. I hope that's clear. After saying all that I'd say if, in a perfect world, *if* I could be thinking the way I am now, then I probably wouldn't have done some of the things I've done.

If there was a wish I could have, it would be to have seen people that have touched my life and people who's life I have touched, place a better priority on the real importance that each of us played in each other's lives instead of taking it for granted so much. That's something that would be great. In the case of Journey, I think we took it a lot for granted how many people we were touching. I think we *knew* and were grateful but we were so wrapped up in going so fast; it was moving so quickly on us. Only after you get out of it can you look back and really realize the kind of music you were involved in. It's just like any relationship, whether it's a past marriage or whatever. Anything that has the word relationship is a day to day thing.

In relationships, there's always going to be those thoughts that maybe we shouldn't have been so tough on each other. But some of that is necessary and some is important. Time is a precious thing and it would be nice for people to get along better. This is just a wish for the world, really. It's not just a relationships or bands. It's a feeling that I look back on a lot now. It's a general feeling that fits everywhere. (pauses) You ask me a question, you're not going to get a simple answer, I'm telling you right now, (laughs) you sit me down and ask me a question and you've got me! (laughs)

Force: Well, that's about it. Anything else you'd like to add?

Steve: In closing, I would like to thank everyone for sending in the responses to the Christmas card I sent out explaining the donation I made to the Northern California Earthquake Relief Fund on behalf of the Journey Force. The reason I did that was this year, instead of going out and sending a Christmas card with a picture on it or giving friends new Veg-o-matics or something like shower radios, instead of doing a worthless thing like that, I felt it wasn't in the spirit that was intended. I decided to give friends and all the fans out there, who are also friends, close and far away, a gift that actually would do some good. Something they could actually feel. That's why I decided to donate in everybody's name a given sum of money and when it was all done, I had a big check because that fan club list is big (laughs). It was really fun; it was really worth it because I committed myself to it and I went all the way with it. It really felt good to turn that check over to the Relief Fund. Anyone else out there who is a Journey fan who just wants to send something, even just one little dollar to the Earthquake Relief Fund, it would be incredibly appreciated and I would really appreciate it on their behalf. They'll let me know about it and it would mean so much. See you all real soon. Thanks a lot. Take care of yourself. Bye.
Laydee
45 RPM

Postby Laydee » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:32 am

Journey Force: Steve Perry - Back In The Groove

Journey Force Final Newsletter, 1993

Lora Beard and Cyndy Poon

Setting The Scene

Steve was in New York mixing his album. We were in San Francisco doing the fan club gig. Our mission, and we decided to accept it, was to rendezvous with him in Los Angeles for the final newsletter interview. Sounds easy, right? After a few days of bicoastal phone tag, we set a date. Steve had to cancel because of a last minute change on the album. Reset the date. Lora had to cancel because she got sick. Reset the date. Steve got the flu. Reset the date. Cyndy's got serious allergy problems and is barely conscious. Give her a pill and put her on the plane, we're going anyway.

It was Wednesday afternoon and warm in L.A. Steve picked us up and we headed out in search of lunch. Mexican? Nah. Hunan? Nah. Chinese? Nah. Italian? Yeah! We ended up in a little, Italian restaurant where we did the angel hair pasta thing, relaxed awhile, and then attempted to do the interview. There was too much street noise, so we went over to Steve's condo and all crashed on the couch.

Steve had barely recovered from his bout with the flu and Cyndy was under the influence of antihistamines, so it was a very laid back interview. As we were sitting there talking, we noticed an advance copy of Steve's CD lying on the coffee table. After he noticed us eyeing it longingly for several minutes, Steve agreed to play it. What an overwhelming 45 minutes of pure listening pleasure! There aren't any adjectives that really do it justice, so we'll just say it is brilliant. Steve never sounded better. The lyrics and vocals are inspired; the band is hot. In other words, we liked it very much.

After the most awesome listening experience of the past few years, we finished the interview, said our goodbyes, tried to swipe the CD (we got busted at the door) and flew back to San Francisco where we typed this up and here it is.....

Steve Perry - Back In The Groove

Steve: What's this? Two recorders?

Lora: We're getting totally efficient. We brought a back-up.

Steve: Okay, we'll put on ever here (points to right side of couch) and one over there (points to left side of couch) and start them at the same time. One will go faster than the other one, then it will slow down and you'll hear two mess talking.

Cyndy: Maybe you could take both tapes and mix them.

Steve: (pauses) I could mix them, but that would take too long. That would take forever. (laughs)

Lora: So how have you been?

Steve: I'm fighting a cold right mow. I came back from New York and got the latest flu. It was cold back there and I got sick. I can't figure that out. It really hit me hard. I was down for days with it. I did the fever bit, headache and praying to the porcelain god, which I haven't done for a long time. (laughs)

Lora: So, let’s talk about the new record. Do you have a title yet?

Steve: It's going to be called For The Love Of Strange Medicine.

Lora: How about a release date?

Steve: Soon.

Lora: Come on, let's get more specific. Pick a year.

Steve: (major laughter) Pick a year. I love it. (laughs) okay, it will be the first quarter of the year. This year coming up, 1994. Probably in late March. (laughs)

Cyndy: Any plans to tour?

Steve: We hope to tour this summer.

Lora: How about introducing the guys who played on your record?

Steve: Okay. We'll start with Paul Taylor, who is the keyboardist. I met him through you guys.

Cyndy: Yeah, if I recall, it was because of an annoying, early morning phone call. (laughs)

Steve: Is that what it was? Oh yeah, you guys were staying at the Riot Hyatt (nickname of the Hyatt on Sunset in Hollywood). (laughs)

Cyndy: I had just gotten my cellular phone, and I gave you the number the day before.

You called my cellular early that morning just to hassle us. You were bugging me about 'the question' and I said, "Don't you have anything better to do, like write a song? Call Paul Taylor. He wants to write with you."

Steve: You said he was a friend of yours and he had just left Winger. I called him and we got together not too long after that. He's a very creative guy. He comes up with some of the most beautiful chord changes I've heard in a long time. We call him 'bridges while you wait' because he can come up with a bridge just like that. I'll go, "We need something right here. Don't think, just play it" and he'll do something great. It's been fantastic writing with him. We've got a lot of songs that didn't even get on the record because we never really finished them.

I found Lincoln Brewster, the guitar player, through Randy Jackson. Randy is now the main West Coast cheese for Sony Music. He knew I had been looking for a guitar player for a long time. There were so many people in this town that could play a lot of chops but they really had no feel. The more I looked, the more disappointing it felt. There wasn't a whole lot of heart in their playing. Randy called and said he was given this tape a kid had made in his home studio. The songs were unfinished, but they stood on their own; they were so pretty. I was standing here in this room listening to the tape and I could feel that there was something behind his playing. There was soul there. I called him and we talked for a long time. He was living at home with his mom at the time.

Lora: He must have had a major freak out when you called him out of the blue.

Steve: (laughs) Yeah, I guess. I don't think about things like that sometimes. Anyway, he came to Los Angeles and that was the beginning of me, Paul and Lincoln hanging out and jamming. The next guy we got was Moyes Lucas Jr, the drummer. Paul, Link and I were at a rehearsal place her in Los Angeles and we were just jamming and having a lot of fun. We were thinking we might put something together, but nothing was for sure. We were going through some drummers trying to find someone who would click with us. We went through quite a few drummers, but no one was right. One day we were jamming and trying people out when this guy, Moyes, knocks on the door and says he would like to audition. I looked over at the drummer that was playing at the moment and I realized that if I cut him a little short and then pushed the next guy back a little bit, we could work Moyes in. He came in and set up and we could tell from watching him tune up his kit that he was different. We knew right away. We started jamming and writing a song.

The bass player situation was interesting because we couldn't settle on anyone that fit in with the whole thing. It's not just the music, it's people. You have to get the people right and then there is good music. We used two great bass players on the record, one named Mike Porcaro, who's excellent and the other one is a gentleman named Larry Kimpel who is an equally excellent bassist. At this point I don't know what I'm going to do with the live thing, but I'm thinking about that right now.

Lora: You were in New York mixing the album when they had the celebrity roast up here for Herbie (Herbert). It's too bad you weren't able to be there.

Steve: Yeah, I was right in the middle of doing the mixes on the record when I heard about the roast. I couldn't make it, so I sent Herbie a telegram that said something like "hoping your roast is..well done" (laughs) I hope he got the joke. I heard everyone had a great time.

Lora: Did you like being in New York?

Steve: I love New York. I was there for two months and I had a great time. I was working long hours, but when I'd go out, there were so many places to choose from.

Lora: Who was the producer on the album?

Steve: Jimbo Barton. He helped us sound like we do, and in some cases a little different than we do. There were some songs that were brought into the situation that the band didn't write.

Lora: You wrote them?

Steve: Yes, with somebody else, so we had to organize them in a different way.

Lora: Have you ever thought about recording a cover tune?

Steve: Actually, I'd love to do a cover tune. It's sad that people get such negative press when they do cover tunes. Maybe it's because they destroy them. (major laughter) Sorry! (laughs)

Lora: I want to see the Steve Perry Does Sam Cooke record.

Steve: I would love to do a tribute to someone, but if you can't make it heartfelt, from the same place it came from...

Lora: But you could.

Steve: It can't be done with the same inspiration that the singer was drawing from at the moment, if you can't capture some of that then you shouldn't do it. It becomes an ugly free ride or something. I would never do that. Live would be a great place to have some fun with cover tunes, just like Journey did. We would cover a couple every night..."Stand By Me," "Jailhouse Rock," and "Reach Out" come to mind.

(tape recorder beeps)

Steve: Are we out of tape?

Lora: No, that's the end of the first side.

Steve: Did you bring extra tapes?

Lora: I think I've got one in here (digs through duffel bag.)

Steve: What!? You only brought one extra tape? You suck. (laughs) Everyone out there, do you believe she didn't bring more than two, little, cassette tapes. Geez. (laughs) So do I have to edit myself now so we don't run out of tape?

Cyndy: No, just talk fast.

Steve: Actually, I can talk fast. So, what were we talking about?

Lora: Your lyrics seem very personal.

Steve: The lyrics on this record are all about truthful experiences-things that are going on in my life. Each song is different. Paul, Link, Moyes and I did most of the writing. Sometimes Paul and I will start with a lyric and Link would come in and add something. Sometimes Lincoln and Paul would do the chord changes and the melody and then I will come in and start singing over it. I wrote some of the lyrics by myself, and one with Stephen Bishop.

Lora: Stephen Bishop? I really like his work. What's he doing now?

Steve: Making a record. He's a very talented guy. He's amazingly unique.

Lora: The rumor of the month is that you are engaged.

Steve: Really? Is that the newest groove? Engaged? To whom?

Lora: That's the mysterious part.

Steve: When you find out, let me know. (laughs) Is she nice? Am I happy? Is she sexy?

Lora: I'm sure she is.

Steve: No, not engaged. Not the last time I checked, anyway. (laughs) I don't know when I would have time to do any of that. I've become such a workaholic lately. So, are either of you ladies married?

Lora: Nope, but Cyndy's in love.

Steve: Really? You have a love groove thing going?

Cyndy: Yeah, with a drummer.

Steve: Awww ..you love a drummer. (laughs) Is he good to you?

Cyndy: Sometimes I can't deal with how good he is to me.

Steve: You don't feel worthy. (laughs)

Lora: I've only been around him a few times, but he's great- one of those conscientious, considerate, responsible guys. And a musician. What an unusual combination. (laughs)

Steve: What a find! (laughs)

Lora: So how come someone hasn't snagged you yet?

Steve: (pauses) That's a great question. When it gets close, I think I have an internal circuit breaker that snaps. Red flags go up and say run away. It's pretty frustrating. I was with someone for a long time but ... I can't see how anyone in the music business can have a real, domestic, committed relationship. My hat is off to them. The music side of it is so time consuming and demanding. It's hard to orchestrate both. I have tried and something always suffers. Maybe when I'm ready to let the music side suffer I can concentrate on my personal life. Some people can do both. Perhaps I just haven't run across the person who can tolerate or deal with that ... meaning my insane passion for my work.

Lora: You need someone who is pretty independent and happy with themselves.

Steve: I think you're right. Someone with a life of her own. Actually, I'd like that for about ten minutes. (laughs) Then it would be, "Wait a minute, I'm off work now. Where are you?" (laughs) I can be selfish at times, but I'm learning. Life's a good teacher if you listen.

Lora: Do you have a problem meeting people?

Steve: No, but I have a problem trusting people. I meet new people and things are going great and then there will be some point where I feel like I'm being worked, like they are using me. As soon as I feel that, trust starts to diminish. A lot of people know who I am and they'll come up to me and start talking like we're best friends. I love the fact that people feel comfortable with me, but sometimes I get confused and think I should know them. (laughs) Someone will come up and say, "Hi remember me? I met you six years ago. You were standing in front of a deli and I was there with my dog and you said 'Nice dog' and I said 'thanks.' Do you remember that?" (laughs)

Lora: People have an image of you.

Steve: That's interesting because sometimes I don't really know who I am. Nobody really knows who they are because it's a daily thing. I'm not the same person I was yesterday.

Lora: You think you know your limitations but when there is a crisis and it is there in front of you, you can do things you never thought possible.

Steve: That's true. You sell yourself short of what you think you are capable of all the time. I do it daily. I set these limitations on myself. Like you said, when something comes along that was unexpected, somehow you get the ability to rise to the occasion and deal with it. Had you thought about it before, you would have talked yourself out of it.

Lora: You seem like you analyze things a lot.

Steve: To damn much! (laughs) I think way too much. When I simplify my mind, I'm a happier guy.

Lora: When you called me the other day, the first thing you said was, "I've been thinking.." and I thought, "uh-oh!" (laughs)

Steve: (laughs) That's really true. I do think too much.

Lora: Do you have a hard time relaxing?

Steve: I haven't relaxed in a while and I'm about due. I'm going to take a couple of weeks to unplug and regroup.

Lora: Where are you going on your time off?

Steve: I'm going to Hawaii to spend six or seven days. For me, six or seven days in Hawaii is a long time. I like it there very much. I walk around, I veg, I hike, I go on the charted boats from the hotel. The hotel offers an introductory scuba diving course where you can check out an hour in advance, and then you can do a 45-minute dive. The water in the area where you dive is 40 to 50 feet deep. It's fun and relaxing and so peaceful down there. I go to a secret spot that is pretty quiet. I don't go to many populated places on the island. Some of them remind me too much of just another city with beautiful water.

Lora: Like Fisherman's Wharf. (laughs)

Steve: Exactly. I like places where the water is really blue and the temperature is moderate as opposed to chilly waters which you wouldn't want to dive into unless you belong to the Polar Bear Club. (laughs)

Lora: Do you still ride your bike?

Steve: I haven't lately. My Harley is sitting in the middle of California, in the valley there. The helmet law has affected my riding. I'm not saying you shouldn't wear helmets; I know they are a great idea. I don't think that law had much to do with people's safety, though. It had to do with lobbying, insurance interests and more lobbying. Insurance companies are just trying to decrease their responsibility. I rode a couple of times with the helmet on and it's okay, but it's really uncomfortable. The wind catches it and I get a stiff neck. Every time I turn my head to the left, the wind catches the helmet and blows my head to the left. With a nose like this, I've got to look straight-on anyway. (laughs) Now the weather has changed and it's cold there. The weather's nice here, but the traffic is not bike-friendly. There are too many people driving cars and the drivers don't see bikes. I haven't brought my bike down here for that reason. I don't want to get crunched.

Lora: Did you see Beavis & Butthead's bagging on "Separate Ways?"

Steve: (laughs) They said we were the Partridge Family and then they looked at me and said I was Barry Manilow or something.

Lora: They showed a close-up of Neal and called him a geek or something really rude. (laughs)

Steve: They are funny, but a lot of people don't dig them because of some of the violent stuff they do.

Lora: They moved them to a later hour so they wouldn't influence young minds.

Steve: Young minds are already influenced. They are already on course. I hope that eventually some of the fashionable aggression won't be so profitable. I'm not sure what residue it will leave for the future. It would be nice if some of the people would take some sort of responsibility for the things they say. I'm not saying you have to be super righteous, but it would be nice to have some positive messages of hope out there.

People work hard for a living and save their money and they want to go to a concert and have a good time and not worry about something crazy happening. Then there is a whole other segment that likes the aggression. I hope it will balance out.

Lora: I don't know if we'll ever see arena rock bands like we used to, though. You guys used to sell out five and six nights at places like the Forum. Bands now are lucky if they can sell out one show. I don't know if it's a money thing or because people are used to switching on MTV. Unless you've experienced a band live, you can't compare it.

Steve: If you have never gone to a concert and you've been raised on video, you don't know what you are missing. There seems to be an attitude now that everything has to suck so it's not cool. I'm not capping on Beavis & Butt-Head, but I don't understand how disliking something is cool. Liking something is not cool. It's the rebel without a cause no matter what syndrome.

Cyndy: Maybe when your record comes out you'll be totally uncool. (laughs)

Steve: I'm already uncool! (laughs)

Lora: Are there any artists you're into?

Steve: I've lost touch lately. There are so many music video channels and so much material coming at you that you have to pick a segment of music and zero in on it, just so you can like something. Otherwise, you are overwhelmed. There are so many new artists, record labels and videos. It's tough to write good songs and I think good songs are the key. I really struggle with it. Every now and then someone will write a beautiful song. Sting had one. I love "Fields of Gold." He had such heart and talent. I've never had the pleasure of meeting him so I don't know what kind of person he is, but I'm a fan of his. I would love to write a song with him. The other night someone suggested to me that I should do a duet with Sade. I hadn't thought of that before, but that would be great. There are a lot of people that I would like to write with, but now I just want to get this record out.

Lora: I don't mean to bring up sad news, but I heard you lost a friend recently.

Steve: Yes I did. His name was Carlo. Sometime around the writing and rehearsing of the Journey Raised on Radio record, I remember Neal's girlfriend at the time was working in an Italian restaurant in the Bay Area. Neal had told me that this place had the most incredible food and that we should all go down there, so I decided to check it out. I walked in, sat down and asked the lady who came up to take my order if I could have a bowl of marinara sauce to dip my bread in. Her name was Marie. She was Carlo's wife and we later became close friends. Anyway, she says, (in a heavy Italian accent), "We don't got no marinara. What you like? You like chicken? I bring chicken. You no like, you no have to pay. No worry." Then she left the table. (laughs) I was thinking, "What's going on here? Is it something I said?" Back in those days I had much more of (pauses) an attitude than I do now. (laughs) She brought me back this chicken with this incredible house pasta that was on the menu and it truly was the finest meal I've had in my life.

Needless to say, we started going there to eat all the time and we got to know Marie and her husband, Carlo, very well. We all became such good friends. I spent many, many nights there with them. It was the kind of restaurant where you could go late at night when they were closing and we would share their meals with them and just sit and talk. It had a very European feeling. They're such wonderful people and I can't say enough about them.

The bad news I got is that, out of the blue, Carlo had a major stroke, similar to what happened to my mom. He went into the hospital and they did surgery to try to release the pressure that the stroke caused, but he never came out of it. This morning I heard he had died. It was such a shock for everybody. So many people loved him. he is going to be missed. God bless him, I miss him already. (pauses) So, Cyndy, let's get back to the ultimate question you were supposed to be thinking of. (pauses) I'm waiting. (laughs) (pauses) Oh Cyndy, I'm so disappointed. It's only been two years since you were supposed to come up with a question.

Cyndy: I know everything I want to know about you. (laughs)

Steve: That's probably true! (laughs)

Lora: So, this is the last issue of the Force Newsletter. Any closing comments?

Steve: I didn't realize that the Journey Fan Club was closing until you called me. I guess it was a decision made up north. You must have an amazing archive of the stories accumulated over the past ten years.

Lora: Yeah, when we go back and read some of the old newsletters, it's amazing. We all went through so much together.

Steve: I guess it's just the turning of another page. It's not to say it's gone forever. Things happen and situations change. You guys aren't going anywhere; I know Fan Asylum will still be there. I'm sure you are busy working with your other clients. I'm sure all they guys in the Journey situation will be keeping in touch with you. I know I'll be there and I'll have my fan club through you guys. Your address will be listed on my record.

Lora: Our relationship with you guys has always felt more than a client/business relationship anyway. I think the bond between you and the fan club members is pretty unusual and special.

Steve: You guys did a hell of a job and you are still doing it. You'll never find a group of people like Journey fans. The support has always been there, whether it's a Journey project or any of our solo projects. There is such devotion there. I remember when we were touring, at the end of each show I would say, "You are the faithful ones." Then we would play "Faithfully." These people voted us into the position we were in. If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't have been able to do any of the things we did. We had the desire, but they gave us the privilege. You can't thank people enough for that. I just hope our music gave them what they expected over the years and made their lives as happy as they made ours. Hopefully, we'll see each other again soon.

Lora: Is there any message you'd like to leave us with?

Steve: (pauses) The message that I would like to leave you with is .... don't stop believin'!

© Journey Force Final Newsletter, 1993 - Lora Beard and Cyndy Poon
Laydee
45 RPM

Postby Laydee » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:33 am

This should be enough to get you started. I've got more but I have to get dinner going now. I'll post more later on. 8)
Laydee
45 RPM

Postby SP Fan in Oregon » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:48 am

We should have a sticky note for all the Journey Force Newsletters so we don't lose them! 8)

Andrew?
SP Fan in Oregon

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:50 am

SP Fan in Oregon wrote:We should have a sticky note for all the Journey Force Newsletters so we don't lose them! 8)

Andrew?

You can sticky your own in this forum. All Donna has to do is edit the original post and change it to a Sticky.
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby SP Fan in Oregon » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:54 am

Rick wrote:
SP Fan in Oregon wrote:We should have a sticky note for all the Journey Force Newsletters so we don't lose them! 8)

Andrew?

You can sticky your own in this forum. All Donna has to do is edit the original post and change it to a Sticky.

Learn something everyday. Only it should be just the Journey Force Newsletters first, so newcomers don't have to wade through the posts to find them.
Maybe Laydee can repost all of them into another Journey Force Newsletter thread and then STICKY it......................
SP Fan in Oregon

Postby Don » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:56 am

Don
Super Audio CD

Postby whirlwind » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:35 am

Laydee wrote:This should be enough to get you started. I've got more but I have to get dinner going now. I'll post more later on. 8)

Thank you so much. Is it just me or did some of you find his answers to many of the questions to be timeless. You might expect his spoken word to be as lyrical as his song writing. What I mean is, he talks like he sings.

Sorry to get carried away............. :oops:
PEACE!

Quote of the Day
A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.
Saul Bellow
whirlwind
8 Track

Postby donnaplease » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:03 am

Rick wrote:

Andrew?

Thanks for the suggestion, Rick. Consider it done. :D
donnaplease
Stereo LP

Postby Arianddu » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:52 am

Thanks for posting the articles, but are you able to provide a date for all of them? I always get frustrated when I don't know when something was published... (sad, I know. Blame the archivist training.)
Why treat life as a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in an attractive & well-preserved body? Get there by skidding in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand, chocolate in the other, body totally worn out, screaming WOOHOO! What a ride!
Arianddu
Stereo LP

Postby donnaplease » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:32 pm

whirlwind wrote:
Laydee wrote:This should be enough to get you started. I've got more but I have to get dinner going now. I'll post more later on. 8)

Thank you so much. Is it just me or did some of you find his answers to many of the questions to be timeless. You might expect his spoken word to be as lyrical as his song writing. What I mean is, he talks like he sings.

Sorry to get carried away............. :oops:

I think I agree. There was a lot of talk about things not pertinent to the music or the band, yet I felt almost like it was an interview that could've been held a week ago instead of oh so many years ago. It seems to me that there has been a consistency in his interviews that I haven't seen from some of the other band members, which I appreciate and respect. There were little glimpses into Steve Perry, the person, and it made it a great read, IMO. The playfulness between he & the interviewers was great, too!!! 8)
donnaplease
Stereo LP

Postby Lora » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:02 pm

So many great memories in those newsletters. I have received a few emails from various people asking if it's okay to post Journey Force and Journey Task Force stuff. Absolutely! We had a blast running that fan club for all those years. It's nice that people are sharing with others who didn't have the opportunity to enjoy the newsletters back in the day.

Those newsletters were put together back in the days before computers. I typed everything up on my typewriter and CP would do the physical layout of the newsletter on boards. Sometimes we would send text out to be type-set if we wanted fancy headlines or whatever. It was quite a process. Seems like a very long time ago but it also seems like just yesterday.
Lora
8 Track

Postby cyndy! » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:15 pm

i pasted a ufo in the background of one of the newsletter photos. i don't think anyone ever noticed. let's see who can find it now!
cyndy!
Cassette Tape

Postby Deb » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:19 pm

Very cool to read all these in one place. Thanks for posting them Laydee. And of course L & C for doing them. :D
Image Now Playing: If That's What It Takes (Live) ~ http://youtu.be/8g2TrEdi5ZQ
Deb
MP3

Postby Michigan Girl » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:20 pm

cyndy! wrote:i pasted a ufo in the background of one of the newsletter photos. i don't think anyone ever noticed. let's see who can find it now!

Do you have to be on the mushrooms to see it?!?! :wink:

I never had a JF letter... :cry:
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby bluejeangirl76 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:21 pm

cyndy! wrote:i pasted a ufo in the background of one of the newsletter photos.

LMAO!! I love it. That is something I'd do. Now that I'm going to have a better photo program at work... some of our marketing is going to have some... er... hidden creativity. :twisted:
bluejeangirl76
MP3

Postby Shadowsong » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:26 pm

Interesting read...Thanks!
~Shadow~

There is a seed within called hope
Waiting for the chance to grow
There's forever flowing from your soul
Waiting for the spirit to be flown
Shadowsong
Cassette Tape

Postby Laydee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:22 am

Journey Force Newsletter: Nuno and the Love Lounge

1992 Lora Beard and Cyndy Poon

Cyndy: Do you want to talk about your album?

Steve: Sure.

Lora: Let's see. We need a deep meaningful question here. (pauses) So tell us, Steve. How's your album coming?

Steve: (laughs) Wow!! What a unique question! (laughs) Well, I've got a lot of songs written which I'm really pleased with. Now I'm looking for a producer because I don't want to wear all the hats this time.

Lora: Did you scrap the material you had been working on before?

Steve: Well...no. Nothing has been really scrapped. It's more of an addition. I needed some more vital elements that were missing before and I think I've got those elements now. What I'm trying to do now is put together a band. I'm looking for people to record and also players to transition through that to tour. There are some great musicians out there who don't want to tour because they make a hell of a living just having the freedom to do a few albums, stay at home, and they don't have to get on a tour bus and tour. I should make something pretty clear here. I haven't been sitting in a studio all this time. I haven't turned into a cavernous, in-the-dark mole that sits there and agonizes over things. The opposite is true. I haven't been in the studio that much. I occasionally write with some people and then I live my life. I'm pretty open about writing with different people. It isn't like I have selected certain people who I'll write with and that's it. It's like people who paint. You have to paint across four, five and sometimes ten different things before you get something you really like. You and Cyndy know when it comes to shooting pictures, you can do a whole photo session and you might only get one shot that really stands out. That's the way it is with anything. I'd love to sit here and tell you that (in LA Valley dude accent) "Gosh, I'm so prolific that everything I write is fabulous!" but I'd be lying and you'd know that anyway. (laughs)

Cyndy: You must get a lot of feedback writing with different people.

Steve: Oh yeah, that's exactly why I like it. They come up with great idea. I'm a band guy. That's why Journey worked so well. I need people to get a good start on something or give me a chord or two and then together we are on our way. I think two heads are definitely better than one when it comes to that.

Lora: I know you're writing and doing your album right now, but have you ever thought about entering into another side of the music industry? Maybe management?

Steve: I wouldn't mind doing that except I think that it would take a lot of time. As a manager, I wouldn't have the patience for kids who aren't focused and who aren't serious. I think that a lot of people want it but aren't willing to pay the price and go the distance. I got very fortunate because I was motivated, but a lot of great breaks happened for me, too. When luck comes, you better have your best suit on. You have to find people who are serious but also have talent.

Lora: You seem to really enjoy writing.

Steve: There is something really special about meeting someone you've never written with before and music becomes the common denominator. You may never want to spend Christmas Eve dinner with this person or even meet them for coffee, but there is a certain musical camaraderie you both have and you come up with something where there was nothing. It's really a wonderful feeling.

Lora: Did you get a chance to see Nuno's (Bettencourt, from the band Extreme) little brother and his band?

Steve: No, I didn't get a chance, but I do know that he's got a band called Flesh. I want to do that sometime. I had a great time working with Nuno.

Lora: How did you two get together?

Steve: Randy Jackson told me that Nuno Bettencourt was a great guitar player and I had heard about him too. I asked Randy if Nuno's name really was Bettencourt and he said, "Yeah it is" and I said, "You know that's a Portuguese name" and he said, "Yeah, he's Portuguese." I finally got a number on him and called his mom. I left a message for him because he was on tour with Extreme. He speaks Portuguese and so do I, so we started talking and became friends on the phone. He came to town and we got together and started a song and the next thing you know we were planning when we could continue that. Finally he had about a week off and I flew to Massachusetts and we hung out. We went to a little studio and got some musician friends of his, some really good players, too, and just started coming up with some ideas. We recorded two songs. It was fun because we worked all hours. It was one of those cram kind of things. We started in the morning, worked until six the next morning. Nuno is a wonderful player. He's fresh, very creative and a very knowledgeable songwriter and producer. I'm really amazed that he knows as much as he does considering how long he's been in the business. He acts like he's been in the business ten years longer than he has. I like the band a lot. It was Nuno, Gary (Cherone, Extreme's vocalist) and myself that got together. Gary did the lyrics by phone. (laughs) Nuno and I were on the West Coast and we got Gary on the phone on a talk box and did the lyrics to this song. We recorded the song and it's a great tune. There is another rock song that we did which is not quite finished, but the track is done and all I have to do is put in a few words. He does this amazing solo on it. I might end up keeping this, I don't know yet. It's too early to tell. I just know that he's an amazing guy and I see a lot of promise for the band Extreme because they are so diverse. They remind me of the diversity Journey had when we first started. They are the only band I can think of right now that have the ability not just to perform but to write and sing diverse musical styles. I remember when Journey first got going, that was one of the things that everybody thought we were cursed with. In the end it was the thing that became the most important.

Lora: Is Nuno a Journey fan?

Steve: (laughs) Yes. He knew the songs that even I had forgotten about and exactly how I sang them. He has wonderful things to say about Neal. He really appreciates everything that Neal did in the band. He calls him the note bender. Neal has the ability to soar certain notes and bend them to the point where they are really, really exciting. I think Nuno and Neal have met before in a night club situation and exchanged mutual admiration for each other.

Lora: Do you get people telling you that you and Nuno look alike?

Steve: When I look at him I think he looks like me when I was younger. He's got that same kind of exuberance. I've said it before, but he's a wonderful guy. He's doing some really nice things for his family. He's that kind of person. I think he's the most musical player I've met in a long time and I'm sure that everyone will be seeing more of him and Extreme in the future.

Lora: We've gotten a lot of mail lately asking if you're married.

Steve: No, I'm not married.

Lora: There are a lot of people who think you are secretly married.

Steve: Really? No, I'm not. I'm still single and enjoying the aspects of single life. These days it's much more limited, of course, which is an intelligent limitation, I think.

Lora: Believe it or not we still get calls and mail asking about your health and your supposed fight with throat cancer.

Steve: You're kidding? I thought that rumour was dispelled years ago. I can tell you how it got started though. My mother was very ill and I was taking her to all kinds of clinics. She had a lot of neurological problems because of strokes and things like that so we would always be in x-ray wards, CAT scan wards and places like that. People wouldn't see her, they'd see me and they'd but one and one together and get one hundred and ten. One time I'll never forget, my grandfather called me crying on the phone because he had gotten a phone call from a friend of his who had seen me at a medical centre. The rumor got started that I had throat cancer and that I was in the x-ray ward. He was crying and so upset saying, "Why didn't you tell me?" and I said, "Grandpa, I don't know what you are talking about." I explained to him I was there with Mom and even then he didn't believe me. So, to dispel the rumor again, to my knowledge, God willing I know what I'm saying now, I don't have anything wrong like that. I'm sure people wonder what happened to me. They think I fell off the face of earth because they used to listen to me sing and all of a sudden I'm not around anymore. A lot of things have happened in my life and I think I had to let the music business go and step away from it for my own sanity. After losing my Mom, things in my life changed and then Journey sort of went it's separate ways. My personal relationship at that time fell apart. All at once it sort of happened. I realized some big changes were coming, so I had to go my own way. That meant turning my back for a while on a lot of things...not just singing, songwriting, touring, and making records, but a lot of things.

Lora: Do you think you could ever stop singing?

Steve: (pauses) I doubt it.

Lora: It's that time of year again when we ask you if you have a New Year's resolution.

Steve: (pauses) Time just flies. One of my biggest fears is going back to work at the pace I used to keep because time would go by too quickly. But man it goes too quickly anyway! It does go quicker when you are traveling daily and touring, but it doesn't go much slower when you're not doing that either. (laughs) We talk all the time but here it is a year since we talked about New Years resolutions. Wow. (laughs)

Lora: You seem very happy.

Steve: Thanks That's very kind of you. I do get blue especially around the holidays. I don't want to dwell on it but my family is all past, the ones that raised me, so the holidays are a reminder of what things aren't anymore. Now I'm really getting into another place with that and I'm really grateful for what I have now. It helps me move forward. I do feel happier now. As we talked over breakfast, I'm trying not to repeat too much of my old behavior in my life. I want to try to move on and try some new things. I think we all deserve to grow in spite of ourselves.

Lora: What would you like to see happen in 1992 for Steve Perry?

Steve: (pauses) You know, that is out of my hands. I believe there is a certain rate that things happen in people's lives and they can no more excel them than they can slow them down. I know from past experiences that when I try to hurry something up I inevitably make some bad decisions. When I try to stop something because I don't want to deal with it, that too, is a bad decision because it eventually haunts me. There is a certain rate of my personal growth and my career growth that I'm going to have to adhere to and go with. I hope that doesn't sound to vague. It's meant to be specifically...general. (laughs)

Lora: When you go out to a club, do you get recognized?

Steve: Yes. Sometimes I forget. I know you think this is not true. I'm unaffected by it now and I live a life like everybody else does. I walk into a place and people remind me.

Lora: Like today?

Steve: Like today. You saw it happen. When Little Richard was leaving the hotel and one of the guys in his band came up to talk to me. He knew my tune; he liked "Foolish Heart". That was so great. I went to a benefit for Randy Rhoads at a place called Sharks which used to be the old Vertigo in downtown L.A. I went down there and I was reminded again. Because of the way I pull my hair back now, I think most people don't recognize me. They expect me to look like I used to but it still happens. I'm really pleased that it does, I really am. Sometimes I'm shocked by it because it catches me off guard, I'm not expecting it. (laughs)

Lora: When you go out, do you get asked to jam?

Steve: I try not to do that but I'll tell you who really helped me want the power of a band behind me again was Nikki Sixx (of Motley Crue). Nikki asked me to come to rehearsal one time. It was Nikki, Tommy and Mick. They were writing some new songs for Mick Mars' wife Emi. I went down there just to sort of hang and we started jamming. I hadn't done that for a while. Those cats play loud!! (laughs) I mean Journey was loud, but these cats really get in it. The room was a little small, too, and it was filled with sound. Tommy drums are so incredibly large, they sound so pronounced, it's wonderful. Then there was Nikki's bass and Mick's guitar was screaming. We jammed on an idea and then we did a cover tune. I think we did "Stand By Me".

Lora: Oh, no! Are you serious? (laughs)

Steve: (laughs) Yeah, Motley Crue and Steve Perry doing "Stand By Me." (starts singing the intro to the song) It was like "bo-bo-bo, pow. bo-bo-bo,pow! It was just exploding. (laughs) It was big. We had a great time.

Lora: That's such a beautiful song. You guys did it on the Raised On Radio tour.

Steve: It was pretty to hear Jon's keyboard and Neil's guitar on that one. Jon had a string patch in his keys with Neal's guitar and they learned the melody exactly the as it is on the original song. It is a beautiful string melody and with a guitar playing it with power, it was really wonderful.

Lora: I remember at the last show in Alaska you did a big jam and played "Reach Out".

Steve: We played all kinds of tunes. That was the last show and it was my birthday, as I remember. We had never been to Alaska so we went ahead and booked Anchorage. We went from Hawaii to Alaska, from t-shirts and shorts to twenty below. We didn't use our own stage for those shows. We just flew our basic equipment in. We didn't bring lights or stage because that's the way they work it there. It was so much fun because the garage vibe kicked in and it was so loose.

Lora: I remember you went running down the stairs on the side of the stage and out into the crowd.

Steve: Did I? Oh yeah. It was near the end of the set. It was fun.

Lora: When you're on stage, did you ever focus in on just one person?

Steve: I usually blanket the whole crowd in my mind. I see everybody at once. I don't usually target on person. Occasionally I really enjoy picking certain people and singing to them. That's fun. O the last tour there would be women showing up who were in their late twenties to mid-thirties and they already had kids. These kids were eight, ten, twelve years old. Some of them were crying during songs like "Open Arms" and I would be watching them cry and thinking, "What's going on?". It was so amazing to me.

Lora: Parents always felt comfortable bringing their kids to a Journey show.

Steve: Yeah, I don't think I was going to eat any chickens or kill a small puppy on stage. That really wasn't my groove. (laughs)

Steve: So Cyndy. You've been awfully quiet. What is the one burning question that you've always wanted to ask me? We've known each other for eight years now. There must be something you want to ask?

Cyndy: (pauses)

Steve: Come on. You're telling me that for eight years there's not one question that you kind of want to know? (laughs)

Cyndy: (pauses)

Steve: Gosh, I'd better turn this recorder off and save the tape. (laughs)

A few minutes later, turns tape back on.

Steve: Okay...(points the recorder at Cyndy) GO!

Cyndy: (laughs) I can't deal with the pressure.

Steve: Oh, wow! I'll have to remember that and use it. I can't deal with the pressure. (laughs) It's rolling.

Lora: There's going to be a big blank spot in the newsletter. (laughs)

Cyndy: (laughs)

Lora: To avoid white space, we'll change the subject. You have a rather strange relationship with some local personalities. How did you first get involved with Mark & Brian (KLOS morning guys).

Steve: It was a couple of years back and somebody told me that they had been listening to KLOS. Mark & Brian were talking about the last Journey tour and said they went out to Atlanta to meet Steve Perry but I didn't show up. I left right after the show. They saw me backstage but my hair was so long and my nose was so big that when I turned around really quickly, my nose almost hit them in the face and my hair almost whacked then as I flew around. (laughs) They said I was some kind of d*** or something. So (pauses) I thought, "What are these guys doing to me?" Actually I can see how they would get that opinion because before a show I've got my clothes on and I'm getting psyched up and I have things to think about. I don't want to prance around and go, "Oh, how are? Nice to meet you." I didn't know Mark & Brian were going out there anyway and I didn't know who they were at the time. Anyway, after the show I left. So a friend heard their show and called and told me what they said on the air. I got their number form CBS records and called and surprised them. I said, "So I'm a d***, huh?" And they started laughing and they started telling me the whole story as I've just told it. We started talking and the next thing you know we were having a great time. They were busy busting my chops and I was busting theirs and it started a relationship that to this day we still have. They have pulled some stunts on me, but that's their character. They do that to everybody. I've seen them do some outrageous stuff. I remember when Wayne Gretzky first was here in L.A., they somehow got his number and called him. Woke him up. "Hey Wayne, babe. How's it going, Mark & Brian, KLOS. So Wayne, what do you think about California?" And it was Wayne Gretzky. (laughs) So I don't put anything past these guys.

Lora: You did a song for Brian's birthday.

Steve: I was working at the time with Randy Goodrum and we decided to do a little tune. It was done to the melody of "Happy, Happy Birthday Baby," and old fifties song. In the middle I did this rap where I said, Brian, you should have never been named Brian. You should have been named Dick because Brian....you are one." (laughs) Then it goes back into "Happy, Happy Birthday Brian." They went nuts. They loved it. And they kept jacking me up. One day a friend called to tell me they said something like, "Stephen Perry must be recording everything including John Phillips Sousa by now." (laughs) They think I've been in the studio all this time, which I haven't . They are really great guys and they've been in their own loving, caring, mischievous way, really supportive of me.

Lora: Did you ever work at a radio station?

Steve: When I was seventeen I thought a radio station was good place to come in contact with the record business. Back then you had to have a third class license to be a d.j. and then you could work certain hours. I wanted to get into that so I went to San Francisco to try to take my test with the F.C.C. You had to study for the test and learn all kinds of equations, and you had to have a slide rule and the whole deal. At the time I was about as bright as a pink plastic soap dish on a slide rule so I flunked the test, I did want to be a d.j., though.

Lora: You do have a nice voice though.

Steve: It's funny you'd say that because I used to pretend at home on the tape recorder, and I'd lower my voice. Actually I still play around like that. You've heard my phone machine stuff. I do those characters on my phone machine.

Lora: Yeah, they're great. Sometimes it gets me laughing so much I have a hard time leaving a message.

Steve: It's fun creating voices. I might be using my voice for a cartoon character. I have a friend who did Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and he might do a full length cartoon feature, almost like a Disney thing. His name is Gary Proper and he's the gentleman who owned the comic book, originally. He also manages Gallagher. He's a nice guy. He wants me to consider doing a voice for a character. I'm excited about that. I think that it would be a fun thing to do. It would be hard work but it would be fun to come up with a voice for a character like that.

Lora: Would the character sing?

Steve: That's interesting. (laughs) More than likely he would pull that one on me, wouldn't he? He'd say, "By the way do you think that the flying schmoogie could sing a song right about now?"

Lora: A lot of people confuse Steve Perry, the movie producer, with you.

Steve: Yeah, I know. People say, "I know what Steve Perry has been doing. He's been executive producing movies. He did Lethal Weapon 1 & II and the Last Boy Scout." Sometimes it really helps getting a table. (laughs) I got a hold of his number through a friend and called him. We talked for about a half an hour.

Lora: So he knew you were Steve Perry, the singer for Journey?

Steve: Yeah. He told me sometimes it helps HIM to get a table. (laughs) He's been involved in some great things and I think he's making Lethal Weapon III now.

Lora: For several years now you've been sending out Christmas cards to all the Force members explaining that you have donated to charities on their behalf. This has blossomed into Force members wanting to make donations as well. Is that something that you had hoped would happen?

Steve: I had no intention of people donating to the certain causes that I donate to. It was a real shock, and a very pleasant one, when you called and told me that you were getting mail with checks to these different foundations. I thought that it was incredible and I remember asking you to keep a list of these people and to make sure that the checks got to the foundations. You were just telling me this morning that you are already getting phone calls from people want to donate this year. I just want to thank all the Force members who have taken it upon themselves to do that. It was never my intent, but you have done a wonderful thing. In my search to be involved in charities, I make sure that I'm not wasting my efforts and money on things that people never actually get to benefit from. I really want something to be done. These organizations are very reputable and do get the job done. This year if there is anybody out there who did it last year and wants to do it again, or maybe didn't do it last year but wants to now, there are details on how to do that in this newsletter.

(He goes on to tell how to donate to certain organizations and where to send them. They list people that donated that previous year)

Once again your donation was very much appreciated. I hope you had a great holiday season and you have my best wishes for a great new year!

Epilogue: (several weeks after we did the interview with Steve in L.A., we got a call from a Force Member with a pretty strange observation, so we had to call Steve for confirmation.)

Lora: What's this I hear about you being on the corner of Sunset and Highland, standing at a safe distance, in front of your burning car?

Steve: (laughing) Well, I was driving around Los Angeles in a car that was a gift from my grandfather when he passed away, It was a classic '74 Coupe Deville...a huge Cadillac. It was affectionately named the Love Lounge because it was so big. It was one of the last land whales.

Lora: Cyndy and I can attest to that!

Steve: Yeah! You remember very well. When we did the interview, we drove around L.A. in it. Anyway, I was driving up Highland on December 30th and I was stopped at a red light at Sunset waiting for it to change. Somebody yelled, "Hey, you-re on fire!" I saw smoke but there were three lanes there so I looked around and figured it was somebody else. Then I see this smoke coming out of my hood. I had some simple little problems with the leaking of the power steering fluid and things like that, but I had no idea it was more serious. I assumed I had a little fluid on the exhaust manifold. I parked on the right hand side of Sunset Boulevard facing east. By then the flames were coming up the hood and it was turning from white smoke to black smoke, so I jumped out of the car and ran. I really thought it was going to blow up. I ran about a block down the street and just had to stand there and watch it burn. There was nothing I could do. I wanted to put it out. I had an extinguisher in the trunk but I had just filled the tank with twenty-five gallons of gas and I just didn't want to stand there next to an exploding car. It was a powerless feeling. I just couldn't do anything. So I sat there and watched it burn. It's totalled.

Lora: That's so sad!

Steve: I know. We all had fun in that car, didn't we? I really, truly enjoyed that car. I drove it around L.A. for a long time and I loved it because it was so huge and comfortable on the freeways.

Lora: There's no chance of getting it fixed?

Steve: It's hopeless. If you could see it. (laughs) It literally burnt down.

Lora: You're lucky you didn't get hurt!

Steve: Really! While it was burning, I was walking around in circles in front of a social services building and this little short Hispanic lady comes up to me- she couldn't have been taller than my hip - and she says, "Don't worry, God take care of you." I looked at her and said, "Pardon me?" because she caught me off guard. I was just standing there watching my car burn and the fire department hadn't gotten there yet. By the time they got there it was really full blown flames and black smoke for miles. She looked at me and said, "Don't worry. You're okay. That's what's important. You can get another car, but you .. you're okay." I looked at her and said, "You're right." And I hadn't thought about it. It hadn't crossed my mind because I was just thinking about saving my Love Lounge.

Lora: You had a lot of memories in that car.

Steve: A lot of memories because it was given to me by my grandfather.

Lora: Not exactly a great way to close out the year!

Steve: That was definitely a big closer on 1991! (laughs) Well, at least you guys got to cruise in the Lounge before it was gone.

Lora: We feel honored now.

Steve: (laughs) Yeah, because there will be no more cruisin' in the Love Lounge again. Long live the Love Lounge!

© Journey Force Newsletter, 1992 - Lora Beard and Cyndy Poon
Laydee
45 RPM

Postby Laydee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:23 am

Journey Force Newsletter March 1, 1983

At last the FRONTIERS WORLD TOUR has started. It kicked off to the warmest of receptions in Japan. Every show has been a sellout so far and the Japanese fans have been more than enthusiastic. The Band and Tour crew will miss the fans, but not the cold Japanese winter.

The US tour will start in Seattle March 26th and then move through the Northwest and Midwest in April. Stopping primarily in Wisconsin, Indian, Illinois, Missouri, and Ohio.

After that, the tour will head south for the rest of April. With stops most likely in Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, and Washington D.C.

When the concert in your area is announced, go to the facility box office and show your FORCE identification card. You will be able to purchase two special Force tickets for the best seating available. You must purchase your tickets at least a week before the show.

"Frontiers" has been getting great reviews. The Journeymen appreciate all of your letters showing support for the album. It is rising rapidly on the charts.

Ross, Herbie, Jonathan, and Neal all say thanks for the cards and letters wishing them Happy Birthday. What a month for birthdays at Nightmare!
Laydee
45 RPM

Postby Laydee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:24 am

Journey Force Newsletter May 1, 1983

"Journey's music is romantic enough to ensnare soft hearted rock fans, yet tough enough to appeal to a broad spectrum of hardcore rockers. And the group's collective talents and skills as musicians are beyond reproach." Gene Stout, Seattle Post-Intellegencer, Tuesday, March 29, 1983.

This is typical of the reviews being given to the Frontiers Tour so far. The Seattle show was a festive event, with Herbie Herbert christening the new stage with a huge paper mache' bottle of champagne. Also making a debut at the Seattle show were Journey's new indoor video projection screen and computerized lighting system.

In Herbie's words "Journey's live show on this tour is State of the Art in every department." According to Pat Morrow, Journey' live production director, "With the new stage - which has nothing on it but the band, a set of drums, and a piano and the video projection, there are NO BAD SEATS in the house. This is the most technically advanced live music event in the history of live music."

So, with all of this buildup, here are the cities where the Journey Frontiers Tour will be stopping in June and July:

June:

Rochester, New York

Chicago, Illinois

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Detroit, Michigan

Legend Valley, Ohio

July:

New Orleans, Louisiana

Houston, Texas

San Antonio, Texas

Dallas, Texas

Austin, Texas

Wichita, Kansas

Memphis, Tennessee

Kansas City, Missouri

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Phoenix, Arizona

Oakland, California

Listen to your local radio stations and read the newspapers for announcements of the exact dates of shows in these cities. Go to the concert facility box office to buy your fan club tickets as SOON as you can. They will ask you to show your membership card.

There will be FIVE grand prize winners chosen in the MEET JOURNEY CONTEST! We will fly each of the five winners and a friend to see the Day On The Green where they will go backstage to meet Journey! If a winner is under 18 years of age they will have to bring a parent or guardian instead of a friend.

Personally autographed Frontiers albums will be awarded to 50 second place winners, and 500 full-color action photos will go to third place winners.

We had the pleasure of having Akio Morishita, the president of the Japanese Journey Fan Club, come by the office for a visit. He brought us a beautiful handmade Japanese hanging lantern. We will be trading our calendars, posters, and other items for the Japanese versions that are not available here in the U.S. These items will then be made available to you.
Laydee
45 RPM

Postby Laydee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:27 am

Journey Force Newsletter Excerpt June 1, 1983

Neal Schon and Sammy "The Red Rocker" Hagar have been jamming together while on tour this year. The music has been so exciting that they have decided to record an album and do a tour together. The album will be recorded in the San Francisco are this fall, after the Frontiers tour, and the tour will follow during the winter. Neal and Sammy both promise a HARD rock and roll sound.

We hope you had a chance to see Neal and Jonathan as guest video jocks on MTV. They spend an hour in the MTV studios show their favorite rock videos and debuting the new Journey video "Chain Reaction". "After The Fall" is the next video that will be released on MTV later this year.

Speaking of videos, NFL Films traveled with the band on the fist half of the tour. They filmed live interviews with band and road crew as well as live concert footage and candid backstage scenes. All of this will be put together as a documentary on the Journey family. We will let you know when it is finished and how you will be able to see it.

Here are the remaining cities where the Journey "Frontiers" Tour will be stopping:

July

Houston, Texas

Austin, Texas

San Antonio, Texas

Dallas, Texas

Wichita, Kansas

Tulsa, Oklahoma

New Orleans, Louisiana

Memphis, Tennessee

Kansas City, Kansas

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Phoenix, Arizona

Oakland, California

August

Los Angeles, California

Las Vegas, Nevada

Tacoma, Washington

Eugene, Oregon

Honolulu, Hawaii

Listen to your local radio stations and read the newspaper for announcements of the exact dates of shows in these cities. Go to the concert facility to buy your fan club tickets as SOON as you can. They will ask you to show your membership card.

Steve Smith has released a new album with Tom Coster. It is titled "Ivory Expedition" and is on Fantasy Records. His solo album "Vital Information" is finished and sounds fantastic. It will be released soon by CBS Records

Journey Force Newsletter

June 1, 1983
Laydee
45 RPM

Postby Laydee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:28 am

Journey Force Newsletter Excerpt July 1, 1983

Albuquerque, New Mexico has been added to the concert schedule for July. Those of you in the Albuquerque area should listen to your local radio stations for exact dates. Journey will be playing two charity softball games this year, one in Detroit against the staff of WRIF and one in San Jose against the KOME personnel. Listen to those stations for dates and times and then come out and cheer the Journey squad to victory.

Journey has been nominated for a "star" on Hollywood Boulevard. We think it would be great for Journey to be the first rock band to receive this honor. If you would like to help, please write to the Walk of Fame Committee. Let them know why you think Journey is the BEST rock band ever.

The "Faithfully" video that is on MTV and that was put together by NFL Films I being proclaimed as the best rock video ever. If you like it too, write a quick note to MTV and tell them to play it more often.
Laydee
45 RPM

Postby Laydee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:29 am

Journey Force Newsletter Excerpt August 1, 1983

The Journey "Rockdogs" softball team was victorious in the first game of the summer! They beat the Detroit radio station WRIF team, 11 to 6. Neal played second, Jonathan left field, and Ross was in right. Everyone had a great time and, of course, the proceeds went to charity.

Other "Rockdog" events coming up include two bowling tournament in Texas, a go-cart race in Los Angeles, and a softball game in Hawaii. Force members in these areas should listen to their local radio stations for dates and times. We hope to get some pictures of the band at these events to put in the upcoming issues of the newsletter.

Neal Schon and Sammy Hagar plan on having several live cuts on their album. The live cuts will be taken from concerts this November and December in Texas. They will then head back to the studio to finish the album before continuing their tour around the country. We are working on arranging Force seating for this tour and will keep you informed.

Here are a few cities that have been added to the Frontiers Tour for August. Remember when the concerts are announced in your area and tickets go on sale, just go to the box office where the concert is going to be held and present your Force card. You will be able to buy two tickets. Here is the August lineup:

Los Angeles, California

Las Vegas, Nevada

Pocatella, Idaho

Tacoma, Washington

Eugene, Oregon

Honolulu, Hawaii

The Walk of Fame committee is now trying to put off Journey's nomination for a star on Hollywood Boulevard until 1984. Let's really let them know we want it THIS YEAR!
Laydee
45 RPM

Postby Laydee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:31 am

Journey Force Newsletter September 1, 1983

Steve Perry's hometown, Fresno, California was the site of another sold-out Journey concert on July 31st. To make the event even more momentous, it was a benefit concert with all the proceeds going to Valley Children's Hospital. The band members presented a check to the hospital for $50,000!

This year's "Day On The Green" was a super concert. Night Ranger, Bryan Adams, Eddie Money, and Triumph opened the show, and all received a warm response from the 57,000 fans attending. But when Journey hit the stage things really lit up! The band was SUPERCHARGED for their hometown crowd and they played for over 2 ½ hours. Among the celebrants were our five contest winners and their guests.

The Journey Rockdogs were defeated for the first time in two years by the KOME Maddogs 15 to 14. We were playing without Jonathan, who was home tending to Tane's broken leg, and Neal who was home sick. Ross played brilliantly and Herbie had a pinchit triple to keep us in the game. All we have to say is wait until next year.

NFL Films has just finished filming a full-length movie documentary on Journey. It will be released to cable channels all over the United States sometime in the fall. If the "Faithfully" video, also done by NFL Films, is any indication, we can hardly wait to see the 90-minute special!

Journey has just released "After the Fall" and is about to release "Send Her My Love" as singles.
Laydee
45 RPM

Postby Laydee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:32 am

Journey Force Newsletter Excerpt November 1, 1983

Somewhere in the Los Angeles area, Steve Perry is in a recording studio working on his first solo album. Bruce Botnik, who produced Steve and Kenny Loggins single "Don't Fight It" has been selected to produce Steve's solo project. Although he didn't mention any names, Steve told us that he was getting together with some of his favorite musicians and songwriters for this album. The record is scheduled for a January release.

Neal Schon and Sammy Hagar are keeping busy here in the Bay Area working on their album. They have scheduled six dates here in the Bay Area. They are as follows:

November 10th and 11th in San Francisco

November 14th and 15th at the San Jose Civic

November 20th and 21st at the Marin Civic

Unfortunately we are not going to be able to provide special Force seating at these shows. We will keep you posted on any future dates that might be added.

Playing with Neal and Sammy in the band are Michael Shrieve, the original drummer for Santana, and Kenny Aronson, the bassist for Billy Squire and Rick Derringer.

Jonathan and Tane' Cain are hard at work with Tane's group "Tryanglz". Tane' and the group are recording their second album, the first being "Tane' Cain" on RCA. Tane's group included Jonathan's brother Tommy on drums, Ricky Philips from the Baby's on bass, Dave Amato from the Boston area, and Bruce Gowdy on guitar from Los Angeles. Kevin Elson, Journey's producer, is producing the album.

As reported last month, Ross Valory got married in Detroit, Michigan on September 24th. He is currently honeymooning in the Lake Tahoe area. We asked Ross how long he was going to be gone on his honeymoon and he said, "Until I feel like coming home". It might be a while before we see him again.

Steve Smith is started on his fast paced tour of the United States supporting his CBS album "Vital Information"
Laydee
45 RPM

Next

Return to Steve Perry