Journey Force

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby Laydee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:33 am

Journey Force Newsletter Excerpt December 1, 1983

Leaving the distractions of L.A. behind, Steve Perry has gone to Detroit, MI to finish recording his solo album. The album is coming along right on schedule and is still expected to be at retail counter across the country in January. Perry hasn't decided on a title yet, but we hope he'll have come up with one for the next newsletter.

If you listened to the nationally broadcast Radio Stone radio interview with Steve Perry you were treated to the debut of "Ask The Lonely". "Ask The Lonely" is an unreleased Journey single that will appear on the upcoming soundtrack to the movie "Two of A Kind". The movie stars Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta.

The group Heart has recorded Jonathan's song "Allies". It appears on Heart's latest album "Passionworks". It is a very powerful and moving song that is out as a single. You can also find Journey's single "After The Fall" on the soon-to-be-released import soundtrack album to the movie "Risky Business".

"Send Her My Love" has just become the eighth consecutive Journey single to make it to the top 25! If you would like to help it climb to the tope 10, phone your local radio stations and request them to play it. Be sure to tell all of your friends to add it to their collections.

Gregg Rolie, Journey's original keyboard player, is finally in the studio recording his first album since leaving Journey in 1980. Kevin Beamish is producing the project and Steve Smith will be drumming on the album. It is scheduled to be released in March or April.

Steve Smith is in the last month of his solo tour for his new album "Vital Information" on CBS Records and Tapes. Here are the cities that the tour will be stopping. We do not have set dates or locations for the show, so you will have to check with the local jazz clubs and watch for ads in your local papers. Starting in the last week of November, they will stop in Phoenix, AZ; Las Vegas, NV; Seattle, WA; Portland, OR; San Francisco, CA; Santa Cruz, CA; and Los Angeles, CA.

We hope you all saw Jonathan and Neal on Friday Night Videos on November 18th. Also look for the new Journey video of "Send Her My Love" on MTV and Friday Night Videos.
Laydee
45 RPM

Postby Laydee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:34 am

Journey Force Newsletter Excerpt May 1, 1984

Steve Perry's first solo album "Street Talk" has jumped to the top of all the charts. The album debuted in the top 25 and has been climbing steadily every day. "Oh Sherrie", the first single to be released from the album, is the most requested son on the radio and it debuted all the way up at number 10 on Billboard's charts. Everyone will want to add a copy of this single to their collection as it has a picture sleeve and contains a song not included on the album called "Don't Tell Me Why You're Leaving".

Steve is also just finishing work on the video to "Oh Sherrie" and you should be seeing it on MTV very soon. Steve wants to thank everyone in the Force for giving him so much support on his first solo effort. With his first album completed, his is looking forward to starting work on his next one. For those of you writing to the address listed on the "Street Talk" album for information the Steve Perry Fan Club, please note that this is the same as the Journey Force. The is no separate package or difference between the Steve Perry Fan Club and what we offer through the Journey Force.

Neal's live album with Sammy Hagar, "Through the Fire" has been climbing to the top of the charts as well. The album debuted in the top 50 and has been moving up steadily ever since. "Whiter Shade of Pale" will be the first single from the HSAS project, and if your local rock stations haven't been playing it, give them a call to tell them to! We hope that everyone got to see the live concert video of HSAS that was aired on MTV last month.

Steve Smith will have his second album with Vital Information released this month. "Orion" is the title of the album and it is a powerful follow-up to their first release. Steve isn't the only talented member of the Smith family. His two-year-old son, Ian, is now the star of print ads for Remo drum heads. Remo had a miniature drum set made for Ian, and we hope he follows in his dad's footsteps!

The long-awaited solo album by Gregg Rolie will be released the first week of June. Guest musicians include Neal Schon, Carlos Santana, Crag Chaquico of Jefferson Starship, and Mark Ross from the Eric Martin Band. Gregg has tentatively titled the album "Sojourn" and the artwork for the cover seems to be a blend of the styles associated with Santana and Journey.

"Frontiers and Beyond", the ninety-minute documentary on Journey, will be in the stores in June. It will be available on all formats including VHS, Beta, and video disc. The cover of the package will feature a unique and innovative holographic design. This is the first time that such an elaborate cover concept for a video has been undertaken. We think that you will find "Frontiers and Beyond" an unusual video as it not only shows the inside workings of the band, their management and road crew, but also gives personal insights into their lives. It will also feature never-before-seen concert footage from the Frontiers tour.
Laydee
45 RPM

Postby Laydee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:35 am

Journey Force Newsletter Excerpt July 1, 1984

Thanks to all the support everyone has given Steve's solo album "Street Talk", and his single "Oh Sherrie", they have climbed to the number twelve and number three positions, respectively, on Billboard's charts. We are sure that the album will break the top ten by the time you receive this. The video was the first video ever to debut at the number one position on MTV's Top Twenty Video Countdown. Steve is currently at work on a concept for the video for his next single "She's Mine", which will also have a picture sleeve when it is released.

Steve Smith and Vital Information have released their second album, "Orion". They have also been playing selected clubs around the country, ending their brief tour here in the San Francisco area at the end of June. We will have full coverage and photos of the concerts in the September issue of the newsletter. Steve has also been conducted drum clinics and when asked about his views on being a drummer he replied, "I try to convey the idea of being a musician, transcending just being a drummer. The technical aspect has its place, but don't be totally consumed with that."

Neal has teamed up with Smitty and Eric Martin to write a song called "Eyes of the World" for the upcoming soundtrack album "Vision Quest" on Warner Brothers Records. Never one to be inactive, Neal has also been seen jamming with Gary Moore, who opened for Rush at their recent Bay Area concert. Neal and Gary jammed together on the encore song, "Rockin' Every Night". Neal also dropped in on the Scorpions' concert.

The NFL Firms documentary, "Frontiers and Beyond", has been released on all video formats VHS, Beta, and video disc and should be in your local stores by the time you read this. The hologram design for the cover wasn't possible as originally planned. However, the video was expanded from the initial 90-minute format to a new 100-minute program. This video is the first of its kind, and is an in-depth look at Journey, their road crew, and management. If you would like some real insight on what it's like to be on the road with Journey, this is the video for you!!

Journey and Nightmare have entered the 1984 Bay Area Music Industry League, playing weekly softball games in the area against local teams representing various facets of the music industry. Our opponents include teams from radio stations such as KMEL, KRQR, and KQAK, record stores, local clubs, recording studios, BAM Magazine, and Bill Graham Presents. Led by team captain and Force president Tim McQuaid, the "Rockdogs" have one the first three games of the season. In addition to the regular league games, the Rockdogs played Billy Joel's team, the New York Crabs,, who were in town for a concert. We are happy to report an overwhelming victory for the Rock Dogs, who defended the Crabs 22-3.

On Saturday, June 2nd, the "MTV Starship Cruise" was held here out on San Francisco Bay. Winners of the MTV-sponsored contest were treated to an evening on the Bay with the Jefferson Starship as well as many other prominent Bay Area musicians. On hand for the trip were Huey Lewis and the News, Eddie Money, the Eric Martin Band, Night Ranger, members of the Tubes, and our very own Jonathan Cain and Neal Schon. The lucky contest winner and 25 of her friends were treated to a private concert by the Starship and a jam session by several of the attending musicians.
Laydee
45 RPM

Postby Laydee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:36 am

Journey Force Newsletter Excerpt September 1, 1984

Steve Smith has teamed up with producer Kevin Elson to begin work on his third album with Vital Information. In addition to the regular band members, this album will also feature former Santana keyboardist Tom Coster. Steve collaborated with Tom on the "T.C." and "Ivory Expedition" albums a few years ago. The new album promises to contain more of the great material we've come to expect from this talented group of musicians.

Steve Perry would like to convey his thanks to all the Force members for helping to make his first solo album "Street Talk" such a success. The album has just gone platinum and is doing well on the charts. Due to his hectic schedule, Steve was unable to film the video for his second single ("She's Mine"), but will be doing a video for the third single "Strung Out". This single will also have a picture sleeve, and will make a nice addition to everyone's collection.

Neal is currently in England for a one-month period, working with the former bassist for The Who, John Entwistle. Although there are no set plans for an album to come from this collaboration, Neal and John will be jamming on material. We'll all be waiting to see what develops from these sessions!!

Plans for the upcoming Journey tour and album remain unchanged. The guys are planning on returning to the studio to begin work on the next album this fall, with a release date scheduled for early 1985. The tour will begin shortly after the release of the album. It is too soon for us to have any exact information on the tour, but we will be printing detailed lists of concert dates and venues in plenty of time for everyone to get tickets. Stay tuned to your Force newsletters for updated information!!

The 1984 Bay Area Music Industry Softball League has come to a close, with the Nightmare/Journey Rockdogs finishing with a record 8-8. Despite injuries to key team members, the Rockdogs put up a valiant battle during the last weeks of the season, defeating radio station KQAK 15-6, and giving first place team KMEL a real dog fight!
Laydee
45 RPM

Postby Laydee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:39 am

That cleans me out of Journey Force Newsletters. There are some that have the date and some that say they are excerpts, for those I don't have the whole interview. I do have several other interviews on my site though. Hope y'all enjoy them.
Laydee
45 RPM

Postby SP Fan in Oregon » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:34 am

LAYDEE:

A big Thank you to you for posting these newsletters. Many are new to this forum and have not read these before.
Only a few months ago, I was able to read a few of them. What a great addition to the new Perry Forum!

Lora and Cyndy did such a great job of interviewing, these newsletters are packed full of fun information. Steve's
personality comes out through his answers. Thank you Lora and Cyndy for creating these newsletters
and to Laydee for preserving them and posting them here. 8) 8) :D
Last edited by SP Fan in Oregon on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SP Fan in Oregon

Postby Ftloperry » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:56 am

Thanks for sharing these Laydee. I have tons of the force letters. I should get them uploaded to share them. Not in the greatest condition but I have them. Thanks to Lora and Cyndy for getting those great interviews. :D
Ftloperry
8 Track

Postby CatEyes » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:02 am

Thanks Laydee!!!

Cat
The daughters of lions are lions, too.
CatEyes
Cassette Tape

Postby Laydee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:49 am

Your welcome. I have quite a few more interviews posted on the site, just in case your interested.

http://fortheloveofsteveperry.com/page009.aspx
Laydee
45 RPM

Postby LyricalLady » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:30 am

there was an off shoot of sorts to the Journey Force....The Journey TASK Force...of which I was a member. We sorta got tasks to to for Jouney...like calling radio stations in advace of a single to get them to play that song ...ALOT. And petitions...even back then, for Journey to get a star on the WOF. I completed a task to perfection...I guess and for my efforts I got a T-shirt that says Journey Task Force. I also have numerious letters and other correspondence signed by Lora and Cyndy and Corby in regards to the tasks that were need to be done. It was a hootin' great fun to participate in these 'tasks'. I participated in everyone of them and I have to say was thrilled to do so.

I have all this stuff in a my Journey/Steve Perry Trunk of goodies. I can post some of this stuff...and a pic of that Tshirt if anyone is interested. I did ask for permission to post some of the letters and it was ok'd by the parties involved...so it anyone would be interested, just say so...I'll post the STUFF I have if you would like.

Like Ladyee I also have ALL of my force newsletters,....in dated order (can't help it, I'ma organizational freek) and enjoy reading them from time to time and looking at the pictures contianed therein.

I posted my force membership cards on another site once...it was a hoot. I can't believe I kept all this stuff all these years and still get a thrill looking at them to this day.

Anyway..thanks for the Force interview posts Laydee...It made me nostolgic, and I got out all mine to read again and enjoy.

Thanks to Lora and Cyndy and Corby for all their work on the fan club....I, for one, was THRILLED to be a member.

Damn...but time slips away before you even know it.....SIGH
LyricalLady
Ol' 78

Postby journeygirl » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:18 am

Thanks for posting these. 8) 8)
journeygirl
Ol' 78

Postby tammy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:30 am

Heck, yeah, post what you have LyricalLady. It's so great that fans saved these things all these years. :)
tammy
Cassette Tape

Postby Ftloperry » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:10 pm

Do share what you have. It would be great to see these again. Gotta dig out my Journey Force newsletters. :D
Ftloperry
8 Track

Postby BudACAD » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:46 pm

I have been lurking on the Melodic forums for a while now and I would just like to say thanks for posting the Journey Force Newsletters ;-)... They are GREAT!

Thanks

Bud
BudACAD
Radio Waves

Postby 4everkop » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:23 am

Sorry if I am late, but What happened to the Journey forum? is it no more?
4everkop
45 RPM

Re: Journey Force

Postby The Other Mrs. Perry! » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:13 am

donnaplease wrote:Someone posted some of the old interviews from back in the day. I was thinking this would be the perfect place to resurrect some of that for those of us that either didn't get it then, or just plain don't remember it. Is that a project someone would be willing to undertake?

Hello Donnaplease!

We have a website that has all Steve Perry's Articles & Interviews---Go to:
http://theothermrsperry.com/default.aspx
We are 2 ladies that really love Steve Perry---read in "About Us Perry Wives" section so you can get to know us better!

Thanks! :lol:
Marcy & Valery
The Other Mrs. Perry!
The Other Mrs. Perry!
Fresh Air

Postby The Other Mrs. Perry! » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:19 am

SP Fan in Oregon wrote:LAYDEE:

A big Thank you to you for posting these newsletters. Many are new to this forum and have not read these before.
Only a few months ago, I was able to read a few of them. What a great addition to the new Perry Forum!

Lora and Cyndy did such a great job of interviewing, these newsletters are packed full of fun information. Steve's
personality comes out through his answers. Thank you Lora and Cyndy for creating these newsletters

Hi Laydee!!
We have a website that is for love of Steve Perry and we acquired 18 newsletters and are featuring one every month!
--Go to:
We are 2 ladies that really love Steve Perry---read in "About Us Perry Wives" section so you can get to know us better and sign in "Our Guest Book" section!!

Last edited by The Other Mrs. Perry! on Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marcy & Valery
The Other Mrs. Perry!
The Other Mrs. Perry!
Fresh Air

Postby Michigan Girl » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:26 am

The Other Mrs. Perry! wrote:

Hi Laydee!!
We have a website that is for love of Steve Perry and we acquired 18 newsletters and are featuring one every month!
--Go to:
We are 2 ladies that really love Steve Perry---read in "About Us Perry Wives" section so you can get to know us better and sign in "Our Guest Book" section!!

Is this a joke?....because Mrs. Perry isn't going to be pleased!!! :evil: :P :wink:
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby bluejeangirl76 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:27 am

Um. :shock: Wow.
bluejeangirl76
MP3

Postby SP Fan in Oregon » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:40 am

Welcome to MR, The Other Mrs Perry's!

Although you have many reprinted Articles and Magazines on your site, you only have ONE Journey Force Newsletter posted.

I see you have acquired them all, but are only posting one per month. Where do I lodge a complaint? :lol: :lol: :lol: Can't you post them all now?
I might get hit by a bus. I'd like to read them all before an untimely demise.

You might want to mention that you are both married to husbands with the last name Perry in real life, or you might get verbally lynched at MR before
people realize what is going on with you. Just sayin. :lol: :lol:
SP Fan in Oregon

Postby The Other Mrs. Perry! » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:49 am

Michigan Girl wrote:
The Other Mrs. Perry! wrote:

Hi Laydee!!
--Go to:

Is this a joke?....because Mrs. Perry isn't going to be pleased!!! :evil: :P :wink:

Our website isn't a joke---please visit! If you read "About Us Perry Wives" section you will get to know us better! :wink:
Last edited by The Other Mrs. Perry! on Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marcy & Valery
The Other Mrs. Perry!
The Other Mrs. Perry!
Fresh Air

Postby Playitloudforme » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:07 am

bluejeangirl76 wrote:Um. :shock: Wow.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

completely freaked out.
Playitloudforme
Cassette Tape

Postby bluejeangirl76 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:24 am

Playitloudforme wrote:

completely freaked out.

Phew! I was afriad I was going to be the lone voice of sanity here. Well, me and RedJoePa, anyway. :lol:
bluejeangirl76
MP3

Postby Playitloudforme » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:33 am

bluejeangirl76 wrote:
Playitloudforme wrote:

completely freaked out.

Phew! I was afriad I was going to be the lone voice of sanity here. Well, me and RedJoePa, anyway. :lol:

Oh hell no. This is the kinda stuff that makes my skin crawl. There's appreciating the man's music, and then there's this. Gaaaah. New level of "loon".
Playitloudforme
Cassette Tape

Postby Michigan Girl » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:38 am

Hey, MRS PERRY....the other one...You are WAAAAYYYY TOOO BIG!!! :wink:
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby SP Fan in Oregon » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:42 am

Michigan Girl wrote:Hey, MRS PERRY....the other one...You are WAAAAYYYY TOOO BIG!!! :wink:

Poor Andrew. :roll:
SP Fan in Oregon

Postby LLL » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:42 am

Michigan Girl wrote:Hey, MRS PERRY....the other one...You are WAAAAYYYY TOOO BIG!!! :wink:

Maybe the gigantic oversized avatar is part of their blatant self promotion. :twisted: This is beyond creepy. Also, there are TWO loons sharing the same MR login and ID. :roll:
LLL
Cassette Tape

Postby bluejeangirl76 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:45 am

bluejeangirl76
MP3

Postby SP Fan in Oregon » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:46 am

bluejeangirl76 wrote:Image

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: