So where is Steve Perry this year?

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby tater1977 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:48 am

http://www.thecalifornian.com/article/2 ... act-follow

George Watkins

The former lead singer of Journey was the 25th player of the San Francisco Giants in 2010, when he would belt out and lead the crowd in “Don’t Stop Believing” in the top of the eighth inning of every home playoff game.

It was a sight and sound anyone who was there will never forget. Not only would the crowd be whipped into a frenzy — 42,000 fans standing and screaming the lyrics while waving rally towels to a song that had become the Giants anthem — but at the same time the yachts in McCovey Cove (and I do mean yachts) would be blaring their horns to the beat of the music.

Throw in a full moon (moon beams were literally dancing off the bay during the 2010 playoff run), a ferry boat all lit up crawling slowly across the water on a balmy evening while the ballpark was in a rock-n-roll Hall of Fame atmosphere, and you had what I still strongly believe was the greatest mix of sight and sound of any stadium in the history of Major League Baseball.

Ashkon also got into the act — “I’m Just a loyal fan / Tryin’ to do the best I can / But these last three or four years have made it hard / But I had faith and I had hope / And thankfully the Padres choked” — and the rest his history.

I’ve had the lyrics to Ashkon’s version of “Don’t Stop Believing” in my wallet for two years and every time I’m stuck in a long line I pull it out and start to read it again. Some things never get old.

I was at a Giants game a couple of weeks ago and Ashkon was there to lead the crowd in “Take Me Out to the Ballgame.” He was pretty passionate about that song, too (and he didn’t change the lyrics like my daughter once did by switching “If they don’t win it’s a shame,” to “If they don’t win it’s the same”), but I was really hoping he’d burst out into “Don’t Stop Believing.”

By the way, the best recording of “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” I’ve ever heard is by Carly Simon.

The Giants still play Perry’s recording of “Don’t Stop Believing” in the top of the eighth inning of every home game if they’re behind, but of course it’s not the same.

Perry’s timing was perfect. When the top of the eighth arrived, the Giants were always in the lead and the crowd was roaring for more.

It sure as heck beat the Baha Men, who made an appearance at a Giants game in late 2002, to sing “Who Let the Dogs Out’’ on the night the Giants beat the Diamondbacks to clinch the division title.

This year’s Giants team is begging for more. The dugout celebrations have gotten so celebratory, you half expect the team to break out into a Conga Line at any moment.

So if not Steve Perry, who would be a good fit to grab the mike during a playoff game this year to serenade the crowd?

Here’s my short list of prospects.

1. Bruce Springsteen — Glory Days.

2. Beach Boys — Dance, Dance, Dance

3. Starship — We Built This City on Rock-n-Roll

4. Starship — Nothing’s Going to Stop Us Now (a big hit on the Giants 1982 highlight film)

5. Bon Jovi — Livin on a Prayer.

6. Wang Chung — Everybody Have Fun Tonight.

7. John Fogerty — Centerfield.

8. Village People — Y.M.C.A. (what the heck, crowds still love it)

9. Macarena — if only because it was such a big hit with Salinas minor league baseball crowds in the 1990s.

10. Home Run Willie — Local angle here. Salinas High graduate Larry Hosford sings this song about Willie Mays’ first return to Candlestick Park since being traded to the Mets.

Both singer and player hit a home run with this one.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Return to Steve Perry