Perry influenced by Stewart?

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Perry influenced by Stewart?

Postby STORY_TELLER » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:50 am

Found myself inexplicably mumbling the lyrics to Rod Stewart's love touch while listening to Perry's when you're in love for the first time. Very different songs for sure. Perry's has his Sam Cooke influences front and center on this one. The instrumentals feel like more of a throwback to the Cooke era. Stewart's is straight forward and I give his song the edge for being more modern (at the time) and a bit more catchy.

Having said that, I got this sudden flash in my head that maybe Perry or someone he was working with pointed out Stewart's song and it had some influence on Perry's. Really noticed it in the chorus section. Something going on in the vocal melody that's sorta of the same but different enough to not be a knock off. Influence, like I said...

Anyone else hearing the similarities? (yes, I'm bored, :lol: ):

Love Touch:
https://youtu.be/b0m5JoZCkzc

When You're In Love For The First time:
https://youtu.be/LY1EpY9LuXo
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Re: Perry influenced by Stewart?

Postby Memorex » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:02 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:Found myself inexplicably mumbling the lyrics to Rod Stewart's love touch while listening to Perry's when you're in love for the first time. Very different songs for sure. Perry's has his Sam Cooke influences front and center on this one. The instrumentals feel like more of a throwback to the Cooke era. Stewart's is straight forward and I give his song the edge for being more modern (at the time) and a bit more catchy.

Having said that, I got this sudden flash in my head that maybe Perry or someone he was working with pointed out Stewart's song and it had some influence on Perry's. Really noticed it in the chorus section. Something going on in the vocal melody that's sorta of the same but different enough to not be a knock off. Influence, like I said...

Anyone else hearing the similarities? (yes, I'm bored, :lol: ):

Love Touch:
https://youtu.be/b0m5JoZCkzc

When You're In Love For The First time:
https://youtu.be/LY1EpY9LuXo

Not sure, but good comparison. Stewart hates Love Touch. Never wanted to do it, then it becomes a hit from a movie. Go figure.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:43 am

Didn't know Stewart hates love touch. Guess I shouldn't be surprised. It's very much a pop song, but has great hooks and is very catchy.

I think Perry's song is strong but lacks the same hook quality. The vocal melodies and instrumentals lean too much toward the throwback feel of the Cooke era IMO. Still a very good song, just lacks a certain somethin' somethin', ya know?
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:36 am

Let's not overlook the obvious: both Perry and Rod are huge fans of Sam Cooke. They both wear that influence proudly.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby STORY_TELLER » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:53 am

jrnyman28 wrote:Let's not overlook the obvious: both Perry and Rod are huge fans of Sam Cooke. They both wear that influence proudly.

Truth. Perry on this tune, however, really let it stand out front and center. I think he was intentionally trying to make a Sam Cooke styled song out of it, whereas Stewart made an 80's contemporary pop song.

What I was referring to by way of influence was tone and instrumental melodies of Love Touch. There's a similar Caribbean vibe going on in both songs. Both songs have a similar tempo and the chord progressions are pretty close as well.

It's not uncommon for artists to study other works they admire for inspiration. I just get the feeling Perry, or someone in his camp, pointed at Love Touch and said: Lets do something like this.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Return to Steve Perry