Street Talk

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Street Talk

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:28 am

It has been a long time since I have listened to this album. And the copies I own are the original Vinyl and CD releases that do not include any bonus tracks. Since I haven't kept up in years, I just noticed on Spotify that they list FIVE bonus tracks. Unfortunately. they only include TWO of those tracks. I could do without "Harmony", just doesn't do much for me. But I really dig "Don't Tell Me Why Your Leaving". It was certainly a nice surprise after being "away" for so long. But now I wonder what the other three tracks sound like? "My, My, My" "Makes No Difference" "If Only For The Moment" (Although I am pretty sure I have heard that one)

On an aside, Back In The Day I considered myself quite the completionist with practically every demo, alternate and unreleased track out there and yet these tunes escape me. Maybe it is just my memory....I am getting old. Maybe they are buried in my collection somewhere......
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Re: Street Talk

Postby perryfan61 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:22 am

They are not on my original vinyl either, but when I downloaded the album from Google, there they were!
As you say, a very pleasant surprise. At this point, I'll take anything new that is offered!!
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:38 am

Had you heard the tunes before?

I wonder why three are not "available" on Spotify.
What do you think of them?
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby STORY_TELLER » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:51 am

Pretty sure you can find all the tunes you mentioned on YouTube.

My My My and Makes No Difference were demos from Perry's band Alien Project (pre Journey). I think those are the tunes that were on the tape the record company sent to Herbie Herbert. Some elements of those songs found their way into Journey tunes during the Rollie era (my my my in particular evolved into When You're Alone It Ain't Easy on the Evolution album - very similar chord progression too).

If only for the moment was a song included on the USA for Africa album.

Don't tell me why you're leaving was the b-side to the Oh Sherrie single release. Don't know why it wasn't on the original full album.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:46 am

Thank you for the info.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby scarab » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:12 am

Another Alien Project Demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfWcftR ... e=youtu.be

Two songs appear on Journey's Infinity album: "La Do Da", which started out originally as "Something About You Baby" (check out Deniel Edwards Music page,) and the song "Patiently", which Deniel wrote the music for the late Tommy Burns in 1973. A third song "Makes No Difference" appears on Steve Perry's album "Street Talk".

Patiently started out an Alien Project Demo? :shock:

Checked his music history and on that page it says Perry wrote it in 1977?
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby STORY_TELLER » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:51 am

scarab wrote:Another Alien Project Demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfWcftR ... e=youtu.be

Two songs appear on Journey's Infinity album: "La Do Da", which started out originally as "Something About You Baby" (check out Deniel Edwards Music page,) and the song "Patiently", which Deniel wrote the music for the late Tommy Burns in 1973. A third song "Makes No Difference" appears on Steve Perry's album "Street Talk".

Patiently started out an Alien Project Demo? :shock:

Checked his music history and on that page it says Perry wrote it in 1977?

That doesn't surprise me. Based on how it reads, Perry probably wrote the lyrics and vocal melodies to Deniel's guitar parts at the time. Doubtful they finished the song past a demo stage. No refinements. Perry messes with it in Alien Project, then he joins Journey.

My guess is, that night in the hotel room, Neal and Perry are kicking around music ideas. Neal had the guitar intro to Patiently, Perry heard it and started singing the lyrics he had, found it fit, adjusted the melody to suit where Neal was going with guitar -- and the rest is history.

Doesn't mean Deniel has some claim to the song. I have no doubt his guitar parts are nothing like Neal's and I'm sure the vocal melody and lyrics changed when Perry adjusted it to Neal's chord progressions.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Return to Steve Perry