It's all about perspective.

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

It's all about perspective.

Postby perryfan61 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:57 am

http://brucemctague.com/what-you-do-not ... -a-concert

Great behind the scenes look at a sound check...would love to have been there.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Re: It's all about perspective.

Postby STORY_TELLER » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:07 am

Great tale from someone who was there. That guy "experienced" first hand a piece of the history I've been talking about in another thread.

Perry was one of the greatest vocalists in the history of music and the pairing of Perry and Schon was absolutely mystical. Perfect chemistry like that can't be replicated with different ingredients.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:53 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:Great tale from someone who was there. That guy "experienced" first hand a piece of the history I've been talking about in another thread.

Perry was one of the greatest vocalists in the history of music and the pairing of Perry and Schon was absolutely mystical. Perfect chemistry like that can't be replicated with different ingredients.

I mentioned on here, I'm sure more than once, that I was able to sit and watch the Steve Perry sound check on his first warm up show in 94. A small room. Single greatest thing I've ever witnessed first hand in music. And the sound guy I watched it with was a decades-long veteran (and looked it) and he commented how it too was the greatest thing he'd ever seen. It was insane what he was doing with is voice, how he was working through it and giving direction to the other guys in the band. I'll never forget it.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Marabelle » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:30 am

What ever happened to Steve Perry? Stalkers? A little this and that? The voice was always there with the music but the man seems to have just disappeared somewhere along the way during the ride; and now I hope he's had the time to find himself again. Hyperbolic and an understatement at the same time. There had to be a time when the voice was more important than he was and if there were other things demanding his attention they probably were not given the proper time to be dealt with. So now, while the voice probably is not getting the attention it requires and losing a bit of its magical agility I hope he can celebrate all that he has experienced and learned and loved without a moment's fear of losing himself on the stage with other members of the band. i will be honored to see him with Journey if and when it happens.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby STORY_TELLER » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:41 pm

Memorex wrote:I mentioned on here, I'm sure more than once, that I was able to sit and watch the Steve Perry sound check on his first warm up show in 94. A small room. Single greatest thing I've ever witnessed first hand in music. And the sound guy I watched it with was a decades-long veteran (and looked it) and he commented how it too was the greatest thing he'd ever seen. It was insane what he was doing with is voice, how he was working through it and giving direction to the other guys in the band. I'll never forget it.

If you posted that story before I don't recall it. You're really lucky to have experienced that.

I saw Perry on the FTLOSM tour at the Beacon in NYC. Same venue as the camcorder recording you can find on youtube (no I didn't record it -- I was on the main floor not the balcony).

When I saw Perry at the Beacon, I was floored by his power. His voice does something live that I've never experienced from any other singer I've seen. There are so many layers to it and it doesn't come across the same way in the recordings as it does live. As good as he sounds on recordings, it's a fraction of the real experience.

I've seen Journey with Arnel twice since he's been with the band. First time on his first tour with the band, second was this year. Both times I was left with the same feeling: He's just okay. He hits the notes and does what the songs require. No goosebumps. No hairs standing on the back of my neck.

When Perry sings, he changes the molecules in the room. That's the best way I can describe it. It can't be measured with math or science. It's got an energy that can't be defined or explained. It is simply unique.

Other singers may hit the notes and trace his footsteps but they're never as good. There is only one Steve Perry. Only one.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:55 pm

STORY_TELLER wrote:
Memorex wrote:I mentioned on here, I'm sure more than once, that I was able to sit and watch the Steve Perry sound check on his first warm up show in 94. A small room. Single greatest thing I've ever witnessed first hand in music. And the sound guy I watched it with was a decades-long veteran (and looked it) and he commented how it too was the greatest thing he'd ever seen. It was insane what he was doing with is voice, how he was working through it and giving direction to the other guys in the band. I'll never forget it.

If you posted that story before I don't recall it. You're really lucky to have experienced that.

I saw Perry on the FTLOSM tour at the Beacon in NYC. Same venue as the camcorder recording you can find on youtube (no I didn't record it -- I was on the main floor not the balcony).

When I saw Perry at the Beacon, I was floored by his power. His voice does something live that I've never experienced from any other singer I've seen. There are so many layers to it and it doesn't come across the same way in the recordings as it does live. As good as he sounds on recordings, it's a fraction of the real experience.

I've seen Journey with Arnel twice since he's been with the band. First time on his first tour with the band, second was this year. Both times I was left with the same feeling: He's just okay. He hits the notes and does what the songs require. No goosebumps. No hairs standing on the back of my neck.

When Perry sings, he changes the molecules in the room. That's the best way I can describe it. It can't be measured with math or science. It's got an energy that can't be defined or explained. It is simply unique.

Other singers may hit the notes and trace his footsteps but they're never as good. There is only one Steve Perry. Only one.

Because it was the first show, I think they were going over things that may later become second-hand. For example, he was having the other guys focus on breathing when certain parts came up and they were holding these long notes together as practice. Of course his voice was above all theirs and was crazy insane. He did a good portion of Missing You, which if I didn't see him sing it I would have sworn it was pre-recorded. It was that good. Plus there was the whole vulnerable side. Here's this guy with the voice of all voices and he was as nervous as could be. He also understood EVERYTHING. Hearing Jon talk about him as a band leader the other day made total sense. Adjusting sound, knowing how to come in with the guitar or how hard the drummer should be playing.

As to what you are saying about the difference in him VS others, I do think there is something that speaks to us through an appealing sound. Perry, and others, calm me. It's easy to listen to. Others, like Joe Elliot for me, make me more tense - even if I like it. I can only take so much. Perry I can listen to anytime, anywhere.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:56 am

Was lucky to be at the first two shows FTLOSM tour, in MPLS was in the front row.
His voice was spot on, this just 3 years after a not so great voice in SF.
Never cared for Somewheres theres hope on the CD but he blew me away singing this live.

Sass blew me away as well, she can sing. Too bad she never made it outside Canada.

Hard to believe this was 22 years ago. :shock:
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:13 am

Memorex wrote:
STORY_TELLER wrote:

Because it was the first show, I think they were going over things that may later become second-hand. For example, he was having the other guys focus on breathing when certain parts came up and they were holding these long notes together as practice. Of course his voice was above all theirs and was crazy insane. He did a good portion of Missing You, which if I didn't see him sing it I would have sworn it was pre-recorded. It was that good. Plus there was the whole vulnerable side. Here's this guy with the voice of all voices and he was as nervous as could be. He also understood EVERYTHING. Hearing Jon talk about him as a band leader the other day made total sense. Adjusting sound, knowing how to come in with the guitar or how hard the drummer should be playing.

As to what you are saying about the difference in him VS others, I do think there is something that speaks to us through an appealing sound. Perry, and others, calm me. It's easy to listen to. Others, like Joe Elliot for me, make me more tense - even if I like it. I can only take so much. Perry I can listen to anytime, anywhere.

Whoa.

That sounds deep. I saw what you are talking about on YouTube and I was floored (although I LOVED ROR tour better). Wow...is all I can say.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby chad » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:41 am

The first Journey concert I attended was when they opened for ELO at Anaheim Stadium during their Infinity album. I knew of a couple songs, Wheel In The Sky and La Do Da, which caught my attention hearing them on the radio, but they weren’t on my radar just yet.

When Journey came out to perform, it was something truly special from the first few notes. Neal played a few power chords getting the audience ramped up---then Perry came in belting out and holding these high notes in harmony with Neal’s playing. I realized at that moment, these guys were on fire. The energy and raw emotion of this into got my attention. It was insane! Although to many this seemed like an improve opening intro, musicians knew this was a combination of uber talent and rigorous rehearsals. I vividly recall the audience response like it was yesterday….as I looked around at the 40k crowd, everyone was captivated. The people around where I was sitting were in awe….all I heard was “who the hell is this singer?” “Are you hearing this voice?”

Cut to about 10 years ago, I met Perry at a Dodger/Giant game. Long story made short, he asked me what my first Journey concert was. When I told him this story, he remembered it to a ‘T’. The guy was a genuine class act!

So many emotions when I met him, I just tried to keep it together and maintain my composure to some degree.
chad
45 RPM

Postby Marabelle » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:16 am

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, so happy for you. I missed it all. Every second. Every note. Never to be repeated. Videos. CDs. Pffft.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:01 am

What I would give to have heard that voice live! One of my life's major disappointments.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby slucero » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:43 pm

HQ version of the 1994 show... amazing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BstKVODXMwY

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby swataz » Tue May 02, 2017 2:19 am

Thanks for posting that. I happened to have been there, second row, for that NYC show and will never forget it.
swataz
LP

Return to Steve Perry