Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

John 5 at the Token Lounge, 5 Things To Know

Postby tater1977 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:28 am

John 5 at the Token Lounge, 5 Things To Know

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/arts-and ... gs-to-know

By Gary Graff, The Oakland Press
Posted: 04/14/17

Since picking up guitar while growing up in Grosse Pointe, John “5” Lowery has made a career as a player’s player.

He’s currently part of Rob Zombie’s band and was previously with Marilyn Manson. He’s also toured, recorded and written wtih the likes of Lynyrd Skynyrd, David Lee Roth, Rod Stewart, Ozzy Osbourne, Meat Loaf, Alice Cooper Avril Lavigne, Rob Halford, Slash and many more.

5 has released nine instrumental albums of his own as well, including this year’s “Season Of The Witch,” which came out March 3. He’s on the road to support it, but even then the guitarist has plenty of other work in the pipeline that we’ll surely be hearing soon...

• For “Season Of The Witch,” 5, who’s 45, had a goal “to kind of be who I am and for it to come from the heart and do what I really enjoy and play. I really just enjoy the guitar, and I love instrumental music. I wanted to just make the craziest guitar record I would enjoy and hoepfully fans will, too. People are very smart; They can recognize when something is real and when something is from the heart.”

• 5 adds that as “crazy” as his music is, he always wants it to be something he can recreate live with the Creatures. “I really keep it in mind when I’m recording it,” he says by phone. “I’m always keeping in mind, ‘Alright, I’m going to play this in a performance setting,’ so I keep that definitely in mind and will keep on practicing it. These songs are incredibly complicated to play live, but I’m comfortable with that. It’s a challenge.”

• On the Rob Zombie tip, 5 says that “we’re getting ready to do South America and Europe, and we’re going to do some shows in the States. Things couldn’t be better. We’re always creating and writing and stuff. I really don’t know when we’ll record next or release our next record, but it should be soon, I think. We’re already writing and putting things together.”

• 5 has maintained a relationship with Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth since being part of the DLR Band during the late 90s, and it continues to this day. “I waas just at his house before this tour, hanging out,” 5 says. “He’s doing great. He looks great, sounds great. He has a brilliant, brilliant mind, that’s for sure; It never ceases to amaze me what comes out of his mouth. We have a collection of songs that maybe in his own time will see the light of day. He’ll release it when he’s ready.”

• Among 5’s other interesting collaborations is working with Steve Perry, the reclusive former Journey singer, on material for Perry’s first solo album since 1994. “Y’know, Steve is one of the greatest voices ever, and his voice sounds amazing. And he’s an incredible person,” 5 says. “We’ve written a handful of tunes. I never really talk to him about (Journey) or anything else unless he brings it up. We write music, we talk about cars and this and that. I never ask him uncomfortable questions. That’s the way I am with a lot of my musician friends.”
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: John 5 at the Token Lounge, 5 Things To Know

Postby FezzyChic » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:11 pm

Hate Rob Zombie's music and films!
They bare semblance to bad "B" movies!

Not to say that John 5 isn't an accomplished musician!

Hopefully, Steve and John 5 can create something strong and beautiful with John 5's unique blend and leave out the tacky Zombie gore!
To me Rob Zombie ruins metal!
Hahaha
Lol,
Interesting!
:mrgreen:
FezzyChic
Ol' 78

Re: John 5 at the Token Lounge, 5 Things To Know

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:43 am

Didn't John 5 also do an unreleased album with David Lee Roth? Interesting...
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Return to Steve Perry