Redbeards July 1994 Interview Rewind with Steve Perry

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Redbeards July 1994 Interview Rewind with Steve Perry

Postby tater1977 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:07 am

Steve Perry Answers Your Questions on Journey’s Induction to Rock Hall

http://www.inthestudio.net/online-only- ... rock-hall/

with REDBEARD

Thanks for the inspiration to Memphis radio legend Rick”The Microwave” Earwood ( put him in for two minutes and it’s done ). Predictably, the induction of Journey into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame rekindled several obvious questions once again with loyal fans, among them: would Steve Perry show up for the induction ceremony? (He did ) Would he perform at the ceremony with Journey? ( He didn’t ) Why did the much-beloved and enormously successful Eighties line-up of the Bay Area band, fronted by Perry, disband? After having a major debut solo album Street Talk in 1984, why did Steve Perry wait a full ten years before releasing another one? With all of the other Journey alumni very visibly active in recording and touring projects after the late ’80s Journey break up, why did Steve Perry disappear? And most importantly, who is the mysterious late-night radio deejay “The Love Monkey“, and what connection could he have to the answers to all of these issues?

Journey’s enormous popularity from 1978 to 1988 required a Super Bowl mentality and a professional pace be maintained in order to meet the insatiable appetite then of fans, record company, and concert promoters alike, leaving precious little time for the individual Journey members to address real-world responsibilities ( that notorious pace had already cost them one key member, co-founder Gregg Rolie ). As you will hear in this July 1994 interview rewind, the end of the protracted Raised on Radio tour in the conspicuously un-California setting of Anchorage Alaska seemed symbolic on many levels to Steve Perry. –Redbeard
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: Redbeards July 1994 Interview Rewind with Steve Perry

Postby perryfan61 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:11 pm

I don't remember hearing this one before.....thanks Tater. I wonder if he ever DJ'd from 12 to 2 as the Love Monkey? That would be great to hear!
Last edited by perryfan61 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:05 pm

perryfan61 wrote:I don't remember hearing this one before.....thanks Tater. I wonder if he ever DJ'd from 12 to 2 as the Love Monkey? That would be great hear!

Think there's an interview floating around from TBF era, that Steve talks about a radio
station, that was supposed to be getting his license for him, so he could DJ there.
Don't think it ever came to fruition though.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby JustMyStyle » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:03 am

tater1977 wrote:
perryfan61 wrote:I don't remember hearing this one before.....thanks Tater. I wonder if he ever DJ'd from 12 to 2 as the Love Monkey? That would be great hear!

Think there's an interview floating around from TBF era, that Steve talks about a radio
station, that was supposed to be getting his license for him, so he could DJ there.
Don't think it ever came to fruition though.

A few years back didn't SP DJ at a station and he played his top 10 songs he enjoyed???
Captured by the Moment ...
JustMyStyle
Ol' 78

Postby tater1977 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:28 am

JustMyStyle wrote:A few years back didn't SP DJ at a station and he played his top 10 songs he enjoyed???

Yea, think he hosted a program called 'My Turn' , out in CA. 100.3 THE SOUND.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC3AJELxaE4

The TBF interview is different than the one on the 'My Turn' DJ.
It's on one of those satellite interviews from '96 I think.
The station was in either Atlanta, Florida or Texas, can't remember.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Return to Steve Perry