Randy Goodrum booked a last-minute flight to write songs wit

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Randy Goodrum booked a last-minute flight to write songs wit

Postby tater1977 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:42 am

Randy Goodrum booked a last-minute flight to write songs with Steve Perry. It was worth it.

Dave Paulson, USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Published Dec. 29, 2017

Watch Video Interview -

http://www.tennessean.com/story/enterta ... 982998001/

They're now lifelong friends, but when Journey frontman Steve Perry called up songwriter Randy Goodrum to ask him to write songs with him, the two had never met. Goodrum, in fact, was perplexed as to why the rock singer sought him out, joking that he may have mistaken him for Randy Bachman.

Whatever reason Perry had, it was the right call to make. The two ended up writing together on the majority of Perry's hit 1984 solo album, "Street Talk." The first to come out of their meeting was "Foolish Heart."

Goodrum recalled their first collaboration in an interview with Bart Herbison of Nashville Songwriters Association International.

Randy Goodrum: I got a phone call from Steve when I was living in Connecticut and I wasn’t living in LA yet. A mutual friend of (ours) had said, "Steve, you really need to write with this guy Randy Goodrum."

Bart Herbison: You didn’t know each other then? Because now, you're lifelong friends.

RG: Absolutely. His friend told him a couple of my songs I had written and Steve said, “Oh yeah, I like those.” So, he calls me up and he says, “When can you be in LA?” And I said, “Tomorrow.” And so, he said, “11 o'clock,” and I said, “I'll be right there.”

So, of course, my subsequent phone call was to the airlines.

I thought, “I don't know Steve. I don't know why he called me. I haven't really written anything to date that sounds Journey-like.” And I thought, "Maybe he thought I was Randy Bachman." No, I'm only kidding. I didn't want to go in and (start with) something that sounds like him, (something) he and John (Cain) and Neal (Schon) would write. I said, “I'm just going to give him a piece of what I do. That way when I meet with him and we honestly get together and start writing, it'll either work or we can both dust our hands off and (I can) say, 'Hey, I met Steve Perry,' have a cup of coffee, wow, you know."

But what I did was I went to the piano and I started this little vamp, which ended up being the intro to “Foolish Heart.” And so I drive up to his house — he rented a little house in Studio City, California — the next morning at 11 o'clock. I drive up in my little Geo Metro or whatever I rented and I’ve got my corduroy pants on and English riding cap, and Steve comes to the door in a red jumpsuit with hair down to his knees.

Anyway, we hit it off right away and I went in and he had a little setup in a room. He had a Fender Rhodes (piano) and a little four-track cassette player, and so after we exchanged pleasantries and kind of kicked things around, I said, “Well, I’ve got a little something I want to play you, Steve,” because I thought, “Let's just cut to the chase here, see if this is going to work or not.” So, I start playing the little vamp and then he starts singing a little bit, you know. And hey!

BH: Were these the actual lyrics?

RG: Well, he just started doing "la la," you know, and so then we start messing with it and after about an hour, we had the bones of “Foolish Heart.” And so, we worked on it a little bit longer, we put a couple of rests down, and everything’s really good and I'm sitting over there and he said, “What are you doing?” and I said, “Well, I'm writing some lyrics down,” and he goes, “Oh, we can do that later.” And I said, “No, no, no, no.” I said, “Let's keep going.”

BH: Because as you said in earlier interviews to me, you capture an emotion and the spirit. And you like to, when you can, stay in that emotional zone, lyrics and melody together.

RG: Yeah, that's my mode. I like to capture what I’m feeling at that particular moment because I believe no person on planet Earth ever feels exactly the same any two days in their life. Not two days in a row, but ever. And so that particular day — that was just the chemistry that was going on that particular day. And also, from living and writing in Nashville before I moved to Connecticut, I knew that the writing ethic of Nashville, the part that rubs off is the discipline of getting the job done while you're there to do it. ... So, we kept writing on it and writing on it and at 11 p.m. that night, we had it done.

BH: He had to have felt the vibe because rock stars — in and out.

RG: Oh no. He worked. He is a hardworking, dedicated artist. Let me tell you. He worked tirelessly.

BH: But he also knew you all were on to something. He had to.

RG: Because every time we did anything to it, it just got better,.

BH: I hope you still got the work tape of you two and him singing that early version of it.

RG: I think I do.

BH: Oh man.

( Randy also explains that holiday ending, added onto Foolish Heart's ending ) .
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: Randy Goodrum booked a last-minute flight to write songs

Postby jrny84 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:39 am

Very interesting, thanks for posting!
jrny84
8 Track

Re: Randy Goodrum booked a last-minute flight to write songs

Postby Arkansas » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:50 am

Other threads about their writing in this forum.
Here's a video where he talks about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EixEbNwPdg

later~
Arkansas
Cassette Tape

Return to Steve Perry