Traces

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Traces

Postby Greg » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:56 am

jrny84 wrote:
Greg wrote:
scarab wrote:Heard No Erasin' a couple times on the Current in MPLS, but dont listen to that station almost never. They play new music but way too Indie for me. WE have no terrestrial radio stations in the the Twin Cities that play adult contemporary anymore, been 15 + years. Remember when they did play When your in love by PErry in 1988 a number of times.

For some reason we do have about 1/2 dozen bro country stations. I guess Perry needs to pull a Hootie, JBJ, or Tyler and go bro. :roll: :lol:

I have never heard When You're In Love on the radio. The stations where I live, they usually played the very, very top singles from albums - and that's still pretty much true today. You'll hear Oh Sherrie and Foolish Heart, but I don't ever remember hearing Strung Out on the radio or any other cuts from Street Talk. Same with FTLOSM. I heard You Better Wait quite a bit, but never heard Missing You or anything else on the radio from that album. Never heard anything from the Against The Wall sessions.

When Journey's Trial By Fire came out, I did hear When You Love A Woman a few times, and heard If He Should Break Your Heart on a "make it or break it" things our local radio station used to do in the evenings. A bunch of people with poor hearing called in and said, "Break it" so they never played it again. I was so disappointed, it was a very good song from that album.

I heard it the day it was released on a locally owned terrestrial radio station here in Michigan. The DJ sounded pretty excited about hearing Steve Perry and genuinely sounded like a fan. After that, never heard it again. I hear other radio stations bring up how he has a new album coming out in October, but they never play the full single. Its really sad.

The only singles I ever hear from SP are "Foolish Heart" and "Oh Sherrie". Never hear "You Better Wait" or "Strung Out". Radio is simply dead.

Has anyone heard "No More Cryin'"?

Same here. If radio stations went back to actually having disc jockeys who played each individual single (not a hard drive with pre-loaded playlists), you'd come closer to getting that stuff played on the radio. Radio doesn't work that way anymore, unfortunately, unless it's a "mom and pop" type of station.
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby Sighlence » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:46 am

Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby Memorex » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:52 am

Sighlence wrote:https://twitter.com/i/status/1042801801056137216

Teaser for We're Still Here

iTunes Japan has a longer snippet. Very cool. Reminds me of Strange Medicine and TBF.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Sighlence » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:57 am

Memorex wrote:

iTunes Japan has a longer snippet. Very cool. Reminds me of Strange Medicine and TBF.

Linky?
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby Memorex » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:11 am

Sighlence wrote:
Memorex wrote:

Linky?

https://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/no-mo ... 79863&l=en
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Sighlence » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:33 am

And we have hit a mellow one. Gonna need to hear the full song but atleast his voice sounds good.
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby scarab » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:54 am

mellow and smooth, reminiscent of "Its just the rain".
dont think it will win over much in the MR world but his voice sounds great. Cant wait for the whole song and the whole album +5.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:30 am

His voice sounds great! For someone who doesn't like the "E"vocals, according to Jon, he really pulls it off on this song.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby jrny84 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:29 am

Wow, I really like the sound and feel of this song! I think this is going to be my favorite of the three. Cant wait to hear it.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:52 am

jrny84 wrote:Wow, I really like the sound and feel of this song! I think this is going to be my favorite of the three. Cant wait to hear it.

Same for me I believe.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby slucero » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:56 am

With all the stupid, nasty shit going on in the world... Really enjoying this.

Soo glad the man has found his way back to making music again.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Sighlence » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:39 pm

@ 3:00 we find out he can still hit the high notes. Awww yeah....SmfP
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby Scarab Pilot » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:02 am

Right now my favorites are:

1. No More Cryin'.
2. We're Still Here.
3. No Erasin'.

It does sound like his voice is getting progressively stronger with each song. I don't know if that's just me or if that is due to when each song was recorded. I am just enjoying hearing him sing and seeing him doing some of the SP stage moves.

Looking forward to more Steve!
Happy Friday!
"Well let me tell you what problems Steve Perry has. The only problem Steve Perry has is that he's alive just like you are and he has to wake up in the morning like you do and he has to face the world exactly like you do. " ~ Steve Perry
Scarab Pilot
LP

Postby jrny84 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:53 am

Scarab Pilot wrote:Right now my favorites are:

1. No More Cryin'.
2. We're Still Here.
3. No Erasin'.

It does sound like his voice is getting progressively stronger with each song. I don't know if that's just me or if that is due to when each song was recorded. I am just enjoying hearing him sing and seeing him doing some of the SP stage moves.

Happy Friday!

Mine would have to be:

1. We're still Here
2. No Erasin'
3. No More Cryin'

Cant wait to hear the rest!!
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby slucero » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:41 am

1. No More Cryin'.
2. We're Still Here.
3. No Erasin'.

Happy Friday!

Some of these vocal takes are at least a couple years old... Perry said he's been working on these tunes since 2015

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby perryfan61 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:50 am

This song just blew me away. His voice sounds so much stronger, so much more like Trial by Fire days.

Very emotional for me to hear such a great song from such a great vocalist. And the guitar solo was short, but perfect for this song.

This is the best one so far, IMHO. I can't imagine it could get any better than this. :P
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby annie89509 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:36 pm

Just heard the full song... love it instantly ... sounds a lot like the TBF song.
This is my ranking:

1: We're Still Here
2: No Erasin'
3: No More Crying
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:39 pm

annie89509 wrote:Just heard the full song... love it instantly ... sounds a lot like the TBF song.
This is my ranking:

1: We're Still Here
2: No Erasin'
3: No More Crying

Mine too.
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Sighlence » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:32 am

1. No More Cryin'.
2. We're Still Here.
3. No Erasin'.

This is where i'm at as well. Could be persuaded to swap 2 and 3 and have changed my mind about three times while typing this post. WSH has great vocals and guitar no doubt, but it doesn't really blossom until it's about over. I liked NMC instantly. I must say, i am really diggin' the Gretsch.
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby Greg » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:43 am

So, watching the 9 minute video on the making of Traces, we get to hear a little bit of a couple other songs from Traces that Perry hasn't released yet. One of those is Most of All, and I believe we also hear a very short snippet of Sun Shines Gray. At least, the song in the background sounds like a rocker, and the bit of Perry's vocals on that track sound like it came right out of the very early 90's. Not enough to really get a good take on it, but it was exciting to hear a bit more of what to expect. While I wondered if Andrew's review was a bit of a giddy fanboi thing (no offense Andrew, I'm right with you my friend), I have to say, the more I listen to stuff from the album, I think a review score of 92 is going to wind up being quite accurate. Truly, there is something so unique about each track, I don't think there will be any fillers on this album. I will admit, when No More Cryin' first came out, I felt that was song was much, much better than No Erasin', but since then, I would say that We're Still Here is my favorite, followed by No Erasin', and then No More Cryin'. That being said, I haven't gotten tired of any of those three songs yet. I listen to them at least once a day, and I keep shaking my head in disbelief that we're actually hearing new stuff from Perry.
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby Sighlence » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:09 am

Greg wrote:and I believe we also hear a very short snippet of Sun Shines Gray. At least, the song in the background sounds like a rocker, and the bit of Perry's vocals on that track sound like it came right out of the very early 90's. Not enough to really get a good take on it, but it was exciting to hear a bit more of what to expect. While I wondered if Andrew's review was a bit of a giddy fanboi thing (no offense Andrew, I'm right with you my friend), I have to say, the more I listen to stuff from the album, I think a review score of 92 is going to wind up being quite accurate.

Yeah, it really caught me ear when i was watching the video. I was like "OH, what was that!?!" and have listened to the snippet about 20 times now. Can't wait to hear it. Also, what is this 92 score you speak of?
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby Lora » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:31 am

Greg wrote:So, watching the 9 minute video on the making of Traces, we get to hear a little bit of a couple other songs from Traces that Perry hasn't released yet. One of those is Most of All, and I believe we also hear a very short snippet of Sun Shines Gray.

Yes, that is Sun Shines Gray you are hearing.
Lora
8 Track

Postby scarab » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:53 am

the more i listen to were still here, especially on good headphones, (the youtube video is really good but the song itself is so much better, easy to melt into the song).
I have not been so ready to buy an actual CD and listen each song in ages.

And the Target exclusive is just icing on the cake. wish back in the day I would have known about the 2 FTLOSM 5+ singles.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby jrny84 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:59 am

scarab wrote:the more i listen to were still here, especially on good headphones, (the youtube video is really good but the song itself is so much better, easy to melt into the song).
I have not been so ready to buy an actual CD and listen each song in ages.

And the Target exclusive is just icing on the cake. wish back in the day I would have known about the 2 FTLOSM 5+ singles.

I agree. I haven't been this excited about buying new music in a LONG time. I honestly cant wait! I sure hope many others feel the same way and help this album to be a great success.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby Lora » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:06 am

They are doing a countdown to the album release date and putting short clips of a different song up each day. Here is the clip of George Harrison's "I Need You": https://twitter.com/StevePerryMusic/status/1045080772472958976

And the clip of "We Fly": https://twitter.com/StevePerryMusic/status/1044634429321367552
Lora
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:02 am

HEY STEVE,
Momma always said, it's not nice to tease.
If he doesn't release this soon, I'm gonna have a small nervous breakdown.
:lol: :roll: :lol: :P :lol:
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:52 am

thanks for the link, yeah 11-14 sec is just too little! heh
but you can tell by each clip every song is unique and his voice is stellar .

Now bring on a clip for Sun Shines Grey. :lol:

That minuscule clip in the making of traces was the ultimate tease!

Anyone know if Target is going to have actual CD's in the store on release date?
Tried the pre-order option and it said would be delivered like a week after release date.. Ugh

Told this story a couple times, but still remember my epic bike ride 50+ miles at 15yo to buy ROR on release date from Target (The actual original one in Roseville MN) in 86 only to find they didnt have it. Then had to cross a Freeway a few more miles away to get to an actual music store. (Musicland that I think was absorbed by BEst Buy)
Sad cause the next day my Mom went to the same mall and I tagged along. Never told her about biking so far to get a Journey CD.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Lora » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:51 am

scarab wrote:Told this story a couple times, but still remember my epic bike ride 50+ miles at 15yo to buy ROR on release date from Target (The actual original one in Roseville MN) in 86 only to find they didnt have it. Then had to cross a Freeway a few more miles away to get to an actual music store. (Musicland that I think was absorbed by BEst Buy)
Sad cause the next day my Mom went to the same mall and I tagged along. Never told her about biking so far to get a Journey CD.

That's true dedication! I remember going to Tower Records on the day Departure was released and they had the album title misspelled on their marquee. I also remember that most of the employees at that store looked at people buying Journey music like we were subhuman. :roll:
Lora
8 Track

Postby MotherCitay » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:06 pm

Here's the clip of "Easy To Love"

https://twitter.com/i/status/1045402978847526913
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby scarab » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:52 am

his voice is so smooth here, love the sam cooke isms.
has he ever talked about the pin up girl on the cover? Seems to be a prominent feature among the many many ones.
Hope he gets a new batch of that poster of front/back, if so itll be the first I bought since 1983 Frontiers! :lol:
scarab
Cassette Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Steve Perry