Traces Artwork

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Traces Artwork

Postby slucero » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:41 pm

ok.. the symbolism in this artwork is pretty amazing...

I see a reference to Fantasy Studios.

I see the Hanford Fox Theater, and what appears to be a small house (Perry's childhood home?)... makes sense with him look towards it.

I see a burning Neuman M49 mic (perry's mic of choice).

I see a group of people standing just below what appears to be Pac Bell Park?

This appears to also be a time line.. reading left to right... Hanford, the Sullies (the drumkit), the Journey symbolism prominently in the middle (GG Bridge, Schons Strat, infinity symbol around the globe, burning mic.), ending with Perry facing home.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Re: Traces Artwork

Postby cinkidd » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:43 am

Maybe Andrew could take the posts from the other thread about the artwork and move it here?

Rich the Other Guy
Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
cinkidd
45 RPM

Postby Arkansas » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:51 am

Maybe FanAsylum should do a contest.
Ask for fan interpretations, let SP decide whose is best.
Give away a signed copy & extended CD.
Just a thot...

later~
Arkansas
Cassette Tape

Postby Gina3008 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:40 am

slucero wrote:ok.. the symbolism in this artwork is pretty amazing...

It truly is so full of symbolism. Spot on, Slucero.
Gina3008
Ol' 78

Postby tedpruitt » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:03 am

Interesting that Schon pointed out the peace dove with an olive branch perched on what is presumably his strat. New music or not, it would be great if those brothers could make a real peace with one another, regardless of any future creative endeavors.
tedpruitt
Ol' 78

Postby Marabelle » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Spiritual realism. Amazing work.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:48 am

THAT'S why I ordered the album package...I want a closer look at that cover. Can you even imagine how much time went into making that.

No wonder we had to wait so long for its release :D :D
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby annie89509 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:33 pm

Yes, everybody, please use this thread for posting thoughts on the cover.
It's so so intriguing ... like others mentioned, chock full of nuggets.

Up top left Kellie and SP's Mom looking down from heaven...who is the man in the middle? Is that a young Steve?

And a snake wrapped around a bottle of champagne ... what does that represent?

White dove perched on guitar with olive branch in its peak obviously a homage to Neal. Perfect.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby MotherCitay » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:52 pm

tater1977 wrote:
Has anyone heard or seen the name of the artist who did the album cover :?:

Not sure if anyone has replied to you yet Tater ... but I think it is Jeff Wack.
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby Pacfanweb » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:31 pm

tedpruitt wrote:Interesting that Schon pointed out the peace dove with an olive branch perched on what is presumably his strat. New music or not, it would be great if those brothers could make a real peace with one another, regardless of any future creative endeavors.

The fact that Perry has specifically said in at least one interview that he really misses Neal and his playing, plus Neal's comments prior to the album on Sammy Hagar's show make me think there might be a bit of contact behind the scenes.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby tedpruitt » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:01 am

Pacfanweb wrote:The fact that Perry has specifically said in at least one interview that he really misses Neal and his playing, plus Neal's comments prior to the album on Sammy Hagar's show make me think there might be a bit of contact behind the scenes.

Hard to tell - Neal's response to the album release has been sort of a "pleading" - can we have that coffee NOW? kind of thing.

As I said, I'm not one of the "let's get the band back together" folks, but Steve and Neal definitely have a brotherhood that would be nice to find out had been resolved.
tedpruitt
Ol' 78

Postby tedpruitt » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:02 am

annie89509 wrote:Yes, everybody, please use this thread for posting thoughts on the cover.
It's so so intriguing ... like others mentioned, chock full of nuggets.

Up top left Kellie and SP's Mom looking down from heaven...who is the man in the middle? Is that a young Steve?

And a snake wrapped around a bottle of champagne ... what does that represent?

White dove perched on guitar with olive branch in its peak obviously a homage to Neal. Perfect.

He has addressed those in interviews: firstly, it's Kellie, his mom and his father looking down on him (funny that so many folks have thought it was a young Steve - definitely shows that the genes don't fall too far from the tree.) :)

"Snake around an empty wine bottle" - according to Steve - represents his days of substance abuse - in the same interview he points out the "white powder on the road" - amazing he was able to keep his demons out of the public eye. And so happy to hear he's beat them!
tedpruitt
Ol' 78

Postby tedpruitt » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:55 am

MotherCitay wrote:
tater1977 wrote:
Has anyone heard or seen the name of the artist who did the album cover :?:

Not sure if anyone has replied to you yet Tater ... but I think it is Jeff Wack.

Yes, Jeff Wack: http://www.jeffwack.com
tedpruitt
Ol' 78

Postby tammy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:31 am

Lots going on in the art work, like a Bosch painting. my interpretation is the '50s pin up girl is symbolic for music (the note tattoo on her thigh)..beautiful, seductive, but SP in tails having to turn his back to her at one point to survive (difficult, right?).
tammy
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:32 am

tammy wrote:Lots going on in the art work, like a Bosch painting. my interpretation is the '50s pin up girl is symbolic for music (the note tattoo on her thigh)..beautiful, seductive, but SP in tails having to turn his back to her at one point to survive (difficult, right?).

I like that interpretation.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby annie89509 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:28 am

[quote="tammy"]Lots going on in the art work, like a Bosch painting. my interpretation is the '50s pin up girl is symbolic for music (the note tattoo on her thigh)..beautiful, seductive, but SP in tails having to turn his back to her at one point to survive (difficult, right?).[/quote
haha ... excellent! I was wondering about significance of that girl ... yes, I noticed the note tattoo on her thigh, close to her butt. Bravo, Tammy :lol:
annie89509
Stereo LP

Re: Traces Ar

Postby Marabelle » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:52 am

Wow. I was just reading Alexandre Dumas where he says the soul remembers forever; so even if he’s turning away from that smiling happy woman in black; he might be leaving but it doesn’t say that he won’t be back. I would guess if her face was turned away, then I would say he was walking away from her forever but she doesn’t look like things are finished between them. In fact with that musical note on her hip, happy smiling alluring face; she’s someone he still is drawn to just like the music (record) and as in real life; he can’t get enough. And she’s not a corpse or close to the snake; her facial features are clear and she’s looking like she hopes you will join them and have a good time.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby annie89509 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:08 pm

wow ... I just opened the other thread ... TedP blew up the whole canvass. And here I've been studying only half the artwork. There's a whole left half I didn't see.
The 3 faces looking down from heaven is in the middle (not top left corner).

Baby (Steve) playing the drums.
Turkeys and grandpa's farm.
Can't find Kellie's white dog.
What are the mystical people and lighting bolt about?

So many questions??? :P
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby MotherCitay » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:57 pm

Sighlence wrote:Q104.3 interview on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSlDsjSVRLI

19:28 - Steve discusses the artwork and teasingly suggests that maybe he should write a book about his life.

As for the Steve Ferrone English accent - impressive.
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby tedpruitt » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:53 am

annie89509 wrote:wow ... I just opened the other thread ... TedP blew up the whole canvass. And here I've been studying only half the artwork. There's a whole left half I didn't see.

Can't find Kellie's white dog.

Lower right-hand corner of the album (lower-right of the "pin up" girl) - just the face of the dog. Woven into the plants.

-T
tedpruitt
Ol' 78

Postby tammy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:56 am

MotherCitay wrote:
Sighlence wrote:Q104.3 interview on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSlDsjSVRLI

19:28 - Steve discusses the artwork and teasingly suggests that maybe he should write a book about his life.

He's got a great British accent! And, a book? Please,Yes, please! I will hope. :)
tammy
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am

Steve Perry Knows: 'It's Been a Long Time Comin'
98.7 THE BAY

http://nh1.com/about-byy/wbyy-latest-ne ... time-comin
- read full article

Former Journey frontman Steve Perry gained incredible success with the band from 1977-87 and again from 1995-98. His last solo album was "For the Love of Strange Medicine" in 1994. And then ... radio silence.

What happened to Perry? We've all heard rumors of a huge falling out with Journey, but truthfully, no one fan could speculate what exactly went down in the end....

Is this new album a completely different sound than we know from his Journey and solo days? Perry assures us that his iconic voice hasn't changed much. Sure, maybe he doesn't have the range he used to but he still has a high falcetto and has evolved in his music composition and lyrics.

"My song writing has sort of evolved with me in it. It's still me, but the candy wrapper around it is a different wrapper," Perry explains.

The title track "No Erasin'," is a song about reconnecting with someone at a school reunion, but if you really want to dig deep, it is a metaphor about missing his fans and performing for an audience.

"The whole record, 'Traces,' has got very many different kind of like, moods and emotions to it. There's some happy stuff, some rock-and-roll stuff, some fun stuff, but there are two songs on there that one leans towards the loss of someone dear to you called "Most of All" and the biggest one, that is absolutely the most painful is a song called "In The Rain."

It's about the loneliness of grieving for someone. The rest of the record is an amazing experience to listen to for me because it brings me back to emotions of writing music," Perry explains.

Perry has been writing music for decades. So, what is his favorite song? "They're all like chidren. Which one is your favorite? I can relate. Will Steve Perry go on tour next? He is not sure he's ready.

"Traces" contains nine original songs and a cover of the Beatles’ “I Need You.”
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby perryfan61 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:30 am

tammy wrote:
MotherCitay wrote:

He's got a great British accent! And, a book? Please,Yes, please! I will hope. :)

A book would be awesome...with the same cover as the album, of course. Wouldn't I love to the the version of the cover SP has in his house. Amazing detail :) :)
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Gina3008 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:29 pm

perryfan61 wrote:
A book would be awesome...with the same cover as the album, of course. Wouldn't I love to see the version of the cover SP has in his house. Amazing detail :) :)

Oh my. That would be so fantastic. :D
Gina3008
Ol' 78

Postby MotherCitay » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:53 am

This twitter account has many references to the artwork.

https://twitter.com/
Last edited by MotherCitay on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby Marabelle » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:20 am

Amazing art with such imaginary that tells his story through the years! Guess he’s becoming the man he’s supposed to be after facing all those brushes with heartbreaks and heartaches and personal detours on his journey through life. Either it will destroy you or as they say or make you stronger and it’s left him hopefully stronger and more resolved. Love it because he’s now seemingly comfortable enough to share his music and his presence. The artwork tells us more of things we might have guessed or surmised while he sang on all those stages around the world in such a panoramic view of his life. Astonishing and so revealing of a man who for years protected his life with absolute privacy. Welcome, Mr Perry, we have all missed you. I think it hasn’t been easy and I am glad you’re here to share a bit more. Hopefully, I have not said too much or maybe it’s just enough that Laura won’t tell me to be quiet. I know Lora, not Laura, but I just had to.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:27 am

MotherCitay wrote:This twitter account has many references to the artwork. Just keep scrolling down, some lovely stuff.

https://twitter.com/Lady_J50?lang=en

I know that woman and that woman IS A THIEF!!! She has stolen ideas from a WAY more ambitious thread on Twitter with people who have more original thoughts in their little toe nail then she has hair on her head. Believe me...if you see it there KNOW that she stole it elsewhere.

Besides many of her "insights" are down right WRONG.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby indigo » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:02 am

bellairepark73 wrote:
MotherCitay wrote:This twitter account has many references to the artwork. Just keep scrolling down, some lovely stuff.

I know that woman and that woman IS A THIEF!!! She has stolen ideas from a WAY more ambitious thread on Twitter with people who have more original thoughts in their little toe nail then she has hair on her head. Believe me...if you see it there KNOW that she stole it elsewhere.

Is she the one who said SP was scheduled to be on the flight that crashed in PA on 911?
indigo
45 RPM

Postby MotherCitay » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:44 pm

bellairepark73 wrote:

Thanks for letting me know. I'm a Twatter and Fakebook newbie .... resisted it for years but Steve has dragged me there. :roll:
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby bellairepark73 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:27 pm

indigo wrote:
bellairepark73 wrote:

Is she the one who said SP was scheduled to be on the flight that crashed in PA on 911?

No!!! The one who said SP was scheduled to be on that flight had prayed over him. Her account was verified by Steve's GOOD friend, Robert Garren. LJ50 is the one who said that SP was involved with some so-called famous socialite, burlesque dancer and that was the person on the cover with her legs in the air. WRONG!!! I am telling you LJ50 steals and lies. I know that from experience.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Next

Return to Steve Perry