Who thinks...?

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Who thinks...?

Postby LazzMan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:13 pm

After listening to the new single and considering that Steve's passion for music has returned (for now) I wanted to pose the question.

Who thinks that someone (I don't care who) gets Steve together with Neal and Steve Smith in the studio to do some collaborating? Not Journey. Totally new material. Imagine all of that musical talent in the same studio...what they could create. That would be magic IMO. AND it would be a total inspiration to all three of them.

Thoughts...?
LazzMan
45 RPM

Re: Who thinks...?

Postby annie89509 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:11 pm

Come on, Neal ... go have coffee ... leave your LadyM home, though ... :roll:
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:19 am

annie89509 wrote:Come on, Neal ... go have coffee ... leave your LadyM home, though ... :roll:

I agree :D :D
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby brandonx76 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:01 am

I love that we're suggesting Neal, Smith and Perry get together...its an interesting combo...but I think there's really something of great potential related to the Journey Through Time concept...imagine having Dean and Arnel 'backup' Perry? Shoot I'd even go for double drums. And Rolie and Cain too...a limited run of shows...I'd pay to see that!!
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby S2M » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:56 am

brandonx76 wrote:I love that we're suggesting Neal, Smith and Perry get together...its an interesting combo...but I think there's really something of great potential related to the Journey Through Time concept...imagine having Dean and Arnel 'backup' Perry? Shoot I'd even go for double drums. And Rolie and Cain too...a limited run of shows...I'd pay to see that!!

Dean has 10x the voice Arnel has...Arnel STILL has diction issues.

Neal could have had Chalfant...passed on him

HAD Soto....whatever happened there

Never even thought about Kelty...who, incidently, sounds the most like SP.

Arnel's diction issues aside....Journey doesn't seem to have the songwriting chops anymore. The songs are bland as fuck. I'm not holding out hope for 'Traces' either. 'No Escapin' is a DECENT song, no great shakes though. But I'm glad SP has decided to unearth music he's been sitting on for aeons.
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby jrny84 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:15 am

I really hope Neal and Steve at least have coffee, but it always seems like Steve keeps his distance. Before this album I would have said no to them getting together, but I think Steve has really opened himself back up, and at this point I believe anything is possible. In time, I can see Neal and Steve possibly doing something together.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby brandonx76 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:27 am

S2M wrote:Journey doesn't seem to have the songwriting chops anymore

So, yeah I have to call out the STRONG material from TBF....I would also say that 'The SUM is greater than the parts'....as far as what WE as fans enjoy about the band, I think there's a magic combination happening when those stars aline...and from watching some of the recent Perry interviews, he's way respectful of the bands past and present.

Also, between Soul Circkus, Generations, Arrival, Revelation....there's a PERFECT non-Perrry Journey album within.
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby LazzMan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:04 pm

brandonx76 wrote:
S2M wrote:Journey doesn't seem to have the songwriting chops anymore

So, yeah I have to call out the STRONG material from TBF....I would also say that 'The SUM is greater than the parts'....as far as what WE as fans enjoy about the band, I think there's a magic combination happening when those stars aline...and from watching some of the recent Perry interviews, he's way respectful of the bands past and present.

Also, between Soul Circkus, Generations, Arrival, Revelation....there's a PERFECT non-Perrry Journey album within.

That's the issue. HUGE miss in songwriting. OK, let's all admit that Perry can't sing like he did back in '81. He's 69 years old. No one would expect him to. BUT his songwriting is, as much (maybe more) as his vocals, what put them over the top. It doesn't need to be Journey. Most folks wouldn't want it to be Journey. Forget about the typical (yet classic) Journey songs. Get them collaborating and you would have one hell of a cool (blues?) album.
LazzMan
45 RPM

Return to Steve Perry