Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New CD

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New CD

Postby tater1977 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:16 pm

Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New CD, Trax by Trax

Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock
https://twitter.com/MelodicRock

In roughly a half hour from now, I’m going to live tweet my very first playback of @StevePerryMusic upcoming “Traces” album.
Right here...track by track as it plays (no audio previews), just my thoughts in text.
Can’t wait to play it!


Ok, so I've got a secure audio stream of the new @StevePerryMusic from Universal and I'm taking in the lead track and first single 'No Erasin'. I'm still digging on this song big time.... simple but not...immediately memorable and how good is it to hear this voice again?

So we've all heard the song.....what's next is THE question! 'We're Still Here' is the second track, written with Brian West. It's a ballad as expected... #tracesfirstlisten


'We're Still Here' is a very smooth, moody ballad with a more direct and unfiltered lead vocal. The chorus isn't big, but it's cool. Laid back and textured with modern production effects. Steve sounds great. Soul harmonies pop up here and there. #tracesfirstlisten

'Most Of All' is another very sparse, soft and smooth ballad, this time lead primarily by Steve's voice and a grand piano. The chorus lifts tempo slightly as does Steve's voice. I'm guessing this is going to take some time to get to know.

Most Of All' is a very smooth track and not unlike Strange Medicine's slower moments, a nice guitar solo and plenty of soul. #tracesfirstlisten

'No More Cryin' is another ballad, but at least all 3 so far have had a different style. This one is more bluesy with a touch of Mowtown to it. The chorus lifts & has some modern styled guitar riffing. Co-written with Dan Wilson, this is going to be a highlight #tracesfirstlisten

Track 5 'In The Rain' is written by Steve & David Spreng. It has started off as another slow piano ballad, with a warm, soulful vocal and here comes some orchestration. It is very sparse....almost no percussion, just piano and vocal. Some great vocals here... #tracesfirstlisten

'Sun Shines Grey' is co-written with John 5 and producer Thom Flowers. We've hit an uptempo one folks! Here we go.... #tracesfirstlisten

'Sun Shines Grey' reminds me a little of Journey's Trial By Fire sound: almost a Can't Tame The Lion vibe. But modernized and I could imagine @NealSchonMusic playing on this. John 5 is delivering a cool solo right now and can be heard throughout, understated. #tracesfirstlisten

'You Belong To Me' is another slow, soft piano ballad with some more string orchestration in place and of course, an ultra smooth and soulful vocal. There's some rasp in that voice and yes, it's aged, but still classic Perry nuances.

'Easy To Love' is yes, another ballad....a little different this time. Percussion and some organ accompanies another slow, steady vocal. The chorus jumps in tempo with some classic Perry soul harmonies. This is definitely another familiar vibe ballad. #tracesfirstlisten

'I Need You' is a cover of the Beatles tune, a mere 2.59 in length, this ballad features the most familiar Perry vocal sound yet! Soft, slow, soulful....its the theme of the record. #tracesfirstlisten

Closing out the standard edition of this album 'We Fly' is...wait for it...wait...a ballad! The first minute features only Steve's vocal. Talk about putting yourself out there! An intense song that builds as it goes with atmospheric keyboards in the background. #tracesfirstlisten

Well folks, that's that! Obviously one cannot ever pass judgment on a record after just one listen, so stay tuned for my full, detailed review in a week or so. Much more listening to do. #tracesfirstlisten

Upfront I'll say that it sounds great, but very very slow...all but 2 are ballads...and overall the tempo and the soulfulness of the songs clearly makes this a mood album. Perfect for when the situation calls for it, but not for all situations. Hope you enjoyed #tracesfirstlisten


Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock

Thank You @StevePerryMusic for coming back to share your voice with us fans #steveperry #traces
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5231
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 am
Location: USA

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby tater1977 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:31 pm

Wonder if someone's observation video today/tomorrow will be based on
Andrew's review... hmmm :P
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5231
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 am
Location: USA

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby MotherCitay » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:51 pm

tater1977 wrote:Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock
https://twitter.com/MelodicRock

Upfront I'll say that it sounds great, but very very slow...all but 2 are ballads...and overall the tempo and the soulfulness of the songs clearly makes this a mood album. Perfect for when the situation calls for it, but not for all situations
.

Thank you Andrew, wow wish I was you to have heard it all.

When you say "mood album" I think Adele and as much as I love her soulfulness, I really can only listen to her for a few days a year before I start feeling too down.

With Perry though, when I have felt down just hearing his voice has picked me up. Ballad .... rock ... the same effect.

This is just the start of Steve's return to music. He clearly wanted to work through the traces of his life that have touched him deeply. The next album will have a "happier" tempo.
MotherCitay
45 RPM
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:20 am

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby Greg » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:54 pm

I'm not surprised that it would be a ballad heavy album. I'm not putting it down, I just figured ballads probably convey his message a little better than heavy rockers. I hope the five additional songs will be at least mid-tempo.
User avatar
Greg
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2315
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:16 am
Location: Stealth Mode

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby Sighlence » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:20 am

We knew it wasn't going to be a "rocker". I'll reserve judgement for my own ears of course. After a 22 year hiatus, 15 new songs from Steve Perry is more than welcome. Thank you for the review.
Sighlence
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:47 am

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:45 am

Reminder - the Target version has several extra tracks (already pre-ordered mine). Some of those could be uptempo!
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14189
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby Greg » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:01 am

Sighlence wrote:We knew it wasn't going to be a "rocker". I'll reserve judgement for my own ears of course. After a 22 year hiatus, 15 new songs from Steve Perry is more than welcome. Thank you for the review.


Oh, I'm not complaining. Perry could've made an album singing the TV Guide and I'd buy it. I'll take an album of ballads over no album any day of the week. I am curious about the additional songs.
User avatar
Greg
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2315
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:16 am
Location: Stealth Mode

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby Sighlence » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:40 am

Greg wrote:
Sighlence wrote:We knew it wasn't going to be a "rocker". I'll reserve judgement for my own ears of course. After a 22 year hiatus, 15 new songs from Steve Perry is more than welcome. Thank you for the review.


Oh, I'm not complaining. Perry could've made an album singing the TV Guide and I'd buy it. I'll take an album of ballads over no album any day of the week. I am curious about the additional songs.


Yeah, nothing i said was directed at you or anyone else. His comments about it being "Cathartic" pretty much sealed the deal on what kind of Album we were gonna get. It's Steve m************ Perry though, and he's still got it. Good times!
Sighlence
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:47 am

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby Greg » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:06 am

Sighlence wrote:
Greg wrote:
Sighlence wrote:We knew it wasn't going to be a "rocker". I'll reserve judgement for my own ears of course. After a 22 year hiatus, 15 new songs from Steve Perry is more than welcome. Thank you for the review.


Oh, I'm not complaining. Perry could've made an album singing the TV Guide and I'd buy it. I'll take an album of ballads over no album any day of the week. I am curious about the additional songs.


Yeah, nothing i said was directed at you or anyone else. His comments about it being "Cathartic" pretty much sealed the deal on what kind of Album we were gonna get. It's Steve m************ Perry though, and he's still got it. Good times!



Yep! It's still hard to believe that we're all talking about an actual new album by the man! Pretty much all of us had written any hope off. As weird as it sounds, it's actually gotten me to listen to Street Talk more for some reason.
User avatar
Greg
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2315
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:16 am
Location: Stealth Mode

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby Sighlence » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:58 am

Greg wrote:Yep! It's still hard to believe that we're all talking about an actual new album by the man! Pretty much all of us had written any hope off. As weird as it sounds, it's actually gotten me to listen to Street Talk more for some reason.


Yeah, whenever i am running No Erasin' thru my head You Should Be Happy seems to creep into the loop for whatever reason. I have been listening to the WHOLE gamut in my garage while working on my truck.
Sighlence
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:47 am

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby Greg » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:25 am

Sighlence wrote:
Greg wrote:Yep! It's still hard to believe that we're all talking about an actual new album by the man! Pretty much all of us had written any hope off. As weird as it sounds, it's actually gotten me to listen to Street Talk more for some reason.


Yeah, whenever i am running No Erasin' thru my head You Should Be Happy seems to creep into the loop for whatever reason. I have been listening to the WHOLE gamut in my garage while working on my truck.


It's a great album. I'll admit that it used to be just for me to listen to Oh Sherrie and Foolish Heart, but the more I made myself listen to the whole album, I realized that I have at least five favorite songs on that album. Sherrie, Foolish, Captured, Strung Out, and Running Alone. Back in the 80's, if an album had five songs I considered "hits", then that album is simple amazing. Why? Because albums back then usually just had about 10 songs on them. So, if half the album had singles released, then you know that album was simply amazing.
User avatar
Greg
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2315
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:16 am
Location: Stealth Mode

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby jrny84 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:52 am

Greg wrote:
Sighlence wrote:
Greg wrote:Yep! It's still hard to believe that we're all talking about an actual new album by the man! Pretty much all of us had written any hope off. As weird as it sounds, it's actually gotten me to listen to Street Talk more for some reason.


Yeah, whenever i am running No Erasin' thru my head You Should Be Happy seems to creep into the loop for whatever reason. I have been listening to the WHOLE gamut in my garage while working on my truck.


It's a great album. I'll admit that it used to be just for me to listen to Oh Sherrie and Foolish Heart, but the more I made myself listen to the whole album, I realized that I have at least five favorite songs on that album. Sherrie, Foolish, Captured, Strung Out, and Running Alone. Back in the 80's, if an album had five songs I considered "hits", then that album is simple amazing. Why? Because albums back then usually just had about 10 songs on them. So, if half the album had singles released, then you know that album was simply amazing.


I actually went back and listened to "You Better Wait" from For the Love of Strange Medicine. Really digging this song! Forgot about it.

Gotta say the title track off Trial By Fire is a great one too. "If He Should Break Your Heart" should have been a bigger hit.
User avatar
jrny84
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:43 am
Location: Michigan/Florida

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby scarab » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:45 am

YEah I get that You should be Happy vibe from No Erasin, YSBH is very underrated.
Its too bad Captured by the moment was never released, what a great song and great tribute.
Perry at his deepest register. I still dont get how "Shes mine" was a top 20 hit. Its a good song but I never hears this on the radio.

You better wait is awesome. The most Journey esque tune by him. A few let downs though, I am, Tuesday Heartache, Donna Please were constant skips, and a couple of the bonus tracks were unlistenable. One More time was nice though, should had made it on the CD.

How Lost Angels, Let go and Home at last never got released still shocks me.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
User avatar
scarab
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Pigs Eye, MN

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby Sighlence » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:11 am

jrny84 wrote:I actually went back and listened to "You Better Wait" from For the Love of Strange Medicine. Really digging this song! Forgot about it.

Gotta say the title track off Trial By Fire is a great one too. "If He Should Break Your Heart" should have been a bigger hit.


YBW has been in my rotation for years. I never really gave TBF a fair shake. It was such a depature (no pun intended) from their previous material, and with the way things went down i kind of walked away from the band for awhile. Loved MOL though, and WYLAW was pure Perry.
Sighlence
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:47 am

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby scarab » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:47 am

TBF was too ballad heavy, but some of them were awesome,
this should have been released,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfeZ8wSvuj0
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
User avatar
scarab
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Pigs Eye, MN

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:37 pm

tater1977 wrote:Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New CD, Trax by Trax

Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock
https://twitter.com/MelodicRock

In roughly a half hour from now, I’m going to live tweet my very first playback of @StevePerryMusic upcoming “Traces” album.
Right here...track by track as it plays (no audio previews), just my thoughts in text.
Can’t wait to play it!


Ok, so I've got a secure audio stream of the new @StevePerryMusic from Universal and I'm taking in the lead track and first single 'No Erasin'. I'm still digging on this song big time.... simple but not...immediately memorable and how good is it to hear this voice again?

So we've all heard the song.....what's next is THE question! 'We're Still Here' is the second track, written with Brian West. It's a ballad as expected... #tracesfirstlisten


'We're Still Here' is a very smooth, moody ballad with a more direct and unfiltered lead vocal. The chorus isn't big, but it's cool. Laid back and textured with modern production effects. Steve sounds great. Soul harmonies pop up here and there. #tracesfirstlisten

'Most Of All' is another very sparse, soft and smooth ballad, this time lead primarily by Steve's voice and a grand piano. The chorus lifts tempo slightly as does Steve's voice. I'm guessing this is going to take some time to get to know.

Most Of All' is a very smooth track and not unlike Strange Medicine's slower moments, a nice guitar solo and plenty of soul. #tracesfirstlisten

'No More Cryin' is another ballad, but at least all 3 so far have had a different style. This one is more bluesy with a touch of Mowtown to it. The chorus lifts & has some modern styled guitar riffing. Co-written with Dan Wilson, this is going to be a highlight #tracesfirstlisten

Track 5 'In The Rain' is written by Steve & David Spreng. It has started off as another slow piano ballad, with a warm, soulful vocal and here comes some orchestration. It is very sparse....almost no percussion, just piano and vocal. Some great vocals here... #tracesfirstlisten

'Sun Shines Grey' is co-written with John 5 and producer Thom Flowers. We've hit an uptempo one folks! Here we go.... #tracesfirstlisten

'Sun Shines Grey' reminds me a little of Journey's Trial By Fire sound: almost a Can't Tame The Lion vibe. But modernized and I could imagine @NealSchonMusic playing on this. John 5 is delivering a cool solo right now and can be heard throughout, understated. #tracesfirstlisten

'You Belong To Me' is another slow, soft piano ballad with some more string orchestration in place and of course, an ultra smooth and soulful vocal. There's some rasp in that voice and yes, it's aged, but still classic Perry nuances.

'Easy To Love' is yes, another ballad....a little different this time. Percussion and some organ accompanies another slow, steady vocal. The chorus jumps in tempo with some classic Perry soul harmonies. This is definitely another familiar vibe ballad. #tracesfirstlisten

'I Need You' is a cover of the Beatles tune, a mere 2.59 in length, this ballad features the most familiar Perry vocal sound yet! Soft, slow, soulful....its the theme of the record. #tracesfirstlisten

Closing out the standard edition of this album 'We Fly' is...wait for it...wait...a ballad! The first minute features only Steve's vocal. Talk about putting yourself out there! An intense song that builds as it goes with atmospheric keyboards in the background. #tracesfirstlisten

Well folks, that's that! Obviously one cannot ever pass judgment on a record after just one listen, so stay tuned for my full, detailed review in a week or so. Much more listening to do. #tracesfirstlisten

Upfront I'll say that it sounds great, but very very slow...all but 2 are ballads...and overall the tempo and the soulfulness of the songs clearly makes this a mood album. Perfect for when the situation calls for it, but not for all situations. Hope you enjoyed #tracesfirstlisten


Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock

Thank You @StevePerryMusic for coming back to share your voice with us fans #steveperry #traces


Thanks for the review, Andrew. I hope all is well with you. It has been a while.
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
User avatar
Rick
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 16716
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:29 am
Location: Texas

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby Andrew » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:11 pm

All good Rick!

The ballads are all really good!
User avatar
Andrew
Administrator
 
Posts: 10018
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:12 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby carleysdad » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:01 am

Hopefully the rest of the album is better than the first single. In my opinion (and many of my Journey/SP lovin' friends) "No Erasin'" is absolutely dreadful.
carleysdad
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:41 am

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby scarab » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:39 am

Andrew,
In your initial review you said No More Cryin' would be a highlight.
I believe that is next drop in Sept.
Wasnt part of you favs on your last review.
Song not as good on repeated listens?
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
User avatar
scarab
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Pigs Eye, MN

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby Andrew » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:47 am

It’s differing day to day. All about the mood :)
User avatar
Andrew
Administrator
 
Posts: 10018
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:12 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:56 am

carleysdad wrote:H In my opinion (and many of my Journey/SP lovin' friends) "No Erasin'" is absolutely dreadful.


Can't think of a bigger sample pool of Journey/SP fans than right here on MR and most seem to really enjoy it. In my offline social circle, some despise No Erasin- but these people don't own Street Talk, Strange Medicine etc.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14189
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby tater1977 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:08 am

Andrew wrote:It’s differing day to day. All about the mood :)


Soooo, what mood are you in today :?: :D
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5231
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 am
Location: USA

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby yulog » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:40 pm

carleysdad wrote:Hopefully the rest of the album is better than the first single. In my opinion (and many of my Journey/SP lovin' friends) "No Erasin'" is absolutely dreadful.



I couldn't honestly say dreadful, for me its lackluster /forgettable. I've tried re-listening to it hoping it would start to catch on but it just doesn't have any real staying power(the worst part for me is the chorus just sounds hokey).On the other hand at the end of the song some of the harmonizing sounds reminiscent of Perry of old.
User avatar
yulog
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Sun May 25, 2003 1:33 pm

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby Gideon » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:37 pm

I’m going to preface the following with the fact that my Mom is a long term Journey fan.
She’s a Loon; she thinks Neal’s an ass, Perry’s a saint, and I had to twist her arm for her to see Journey in 2012 with Arnel.

Her favorite Journey song is LTS.

I played this one for her for the first time yesterday and she shut it off after the chorus. Says he still sounds nice, “but I don’t like the song - it sucks.”
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
User avatar
Gideon
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:12 am
Location: Kentucky.

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby ADALBL » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:11 am

Love No Erasin'. Have not been able to get it out of my head since it first came out. The energy and the vibe and the emotional response I was looking for from Perry's first song back is 110% of what I was hoping for. I also happen to be a songwriter and do know something about the craft of constructing songs. No Erasin' uses somewhat standard chord changes for sure, BUT... like almost every Steve Perry song, he finds a way to add a few clever surprises that give this song more depth and layers than I think a lot of people understand. The song structure itself is a little different in that he comes back to the bridge (half of it actually) for the outro. He also shifts bass notes across the same chords across the song which gives the song a more satisfying feel. The harmonies during the bridge and the outro are ridiculously good and fresh sounding - no autotune and no quantizing. Very few singers today - even the really good young ones can execute the harmonies in No Erasin without the engineer using autotune and fixing timing mistakes. Lyrically, it may seem cliched but because it also represents his relationship with fans I find myself still finding new meanings in specific lines and words. In short, whether you want to analyze this song based on the craft of songwriting, the quality of execution, the quality of vocals, the musicianship, the sonic quality (engineering) or simply the emotional reaction the song evokes, its pretty much a home run on all fronts for me. It just makes me feel good and I like it more now than I did the first few times I heard it. Oh, and I have played it for a bunch of non-Perry fans who all have said smiled when they heard it and all said "this is good" and many of them are under 20 years old (I have children in that age range so I play for their friends). Let's just enjoy it...
ADALBL
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:54 am
Location: Norristown, PA - USA

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby Gideon » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:29 am

That was a good read, it’s cool to see what other people have to say.

But as far as your last sentence is concerned, if I don’t like something or parts of something, i’m not just gonna magically change my stance on it because it’s SP. That makes absolutely no sense.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
User avatar
Gideon
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:12 am
Location: Kentucky.

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby scarab » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:52 am

When i first heard the 1 min clip I thought well he can sing at a TBF level still but was indifferent on the song.

I still feel the first verse is a little forced with the CAAAAAAR.... but from there its just a fun feel good song with great harmonies. I would give it 7.5/10 for a PErry solo song.
Hoping the next single No More Cryin will be better.

Wonder what happened to the guy 2/3 years ago swore he did a song with Melissa Etheridge.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
User avatar
scarab
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Pigs Eye, MN

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby shaneslatts » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:36 pm

scarab wrote:When i first heard the 1 min clip I thought well he can sing at a TBF level still but was indifferent on the song.

I still feel the first verse is a little forced with the CAAAAAAR.... but from there its just a fun feel good song with great harmonies. I would give it 7.5/10 for a PErry solo song.
Hoping the next single No More Cryin will be better.

Wonder what happened to the guy 2/3 years ago swore he did a song with Melissa Etheridge.


Played it for people at work on my antique Galaxy S3... who last heard Perry on TBF.
As soon he started singing,their eyebrow arched and they said 'Wow".. he still has it.
Plain as day, not singing in a falseto, but in a full voice.
Amazing for a near 70 year old singer who has done nada for 25 years.
Just amazing.
shaneslatts
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:02 am

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby hgwy407 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:22 am

"I still feel the first verse is a little forced with the CAAAAAAR.... but from there its just a fun feel good song with great harmonies. I would give it 7.5/10 for a PErry solo song.
Hoping the next single No More Cryin will be better."

I strongly agree. I'm still having problems getting beyond that line. I too am hoping the rest of the album is better, although I am happy he is back and that so many others are happy with this song, it's long overdue.
hgwy407
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:28 am

Re: Andrew McNeice @MelodicRock Review of Steve Perry's New

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:45 am

hgwy407 wrote:"I still feel the first verse is a little forced with the CAAAAAAR.... but from there its just a fun feel good song with great harmonies. I would give it 7.5/10 for a PErry solo song.
Hoping the next single No More Cryin will be better."

I strongly agree. I'm still having problems getting beyond that line. I too am hoping the rest of the album is better, although I am happy he is back and that so many others are happy with this song, it's long overdue.


I've heard complaints from several people about the "caaaar" line. To me, it's classic Perry doing his thing. I love it. Nobody enunciates like SP.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14189
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Next

Return to Steve Perry

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests