Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

World Cafe Interview

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:36 am

"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Re: World Cafe Interview

Postby brywool » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:10 am

While there's a lot of ground that's recently been covered here, this is a great interview. The host asks some superb questions.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:27 am

Best interview yet. She asked some great questions, which got Steve off his script into some great, honest answers. She deserves a medal :) :)

I was surprised to hear he thought his all time best vocal moment was the Houston version of Open Arms. I was hoping he would say Mother Father, as that's my choice for his best moment. But then again, I'm not the one doing the singing!!
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:58 am

perryfan61 wrote:Best interview yet. She asked some great questions, which got Steve off his script into some great, honest answers. She deserves a medal :) :)

I was surprised to hear he thought his all time best vocal moment was the Houston version of Open Arms. I was hoping he would say Mother Father, as that's my choice for his best moment. But then again, I'm not the one doing the singing!!

If you go back to the remaster, STeve said after hrs of watching and hearing the tracks, he hadn't realized he had hit that one note on that one word that he always wanted to hit while singing open arms that nite.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tammy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:55 am

Oh, that is a beautiful interview..he's making me emotional..hugs.
tammy
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:05 am

tater1977 wrote:
perryfan61 wrote:Best interview yet. She asked some great questions, which got Steve off his script into some great, honest answers. She deserves a medal :) :)

If you go back to the remaster, STeve said after hrs of watching and hearing the tracks, he hadn't realized he had hit that one note on that one word that he always wanted to hit while singing open arms that nite.

Do you remember what note, what word? I'd like to listen to it again, to hear that.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:25 am

perryfan61 wrote:
tater1977 wrote:

Do you remember what note, what word? I'd like to listen to it again, to hear that.

Believe it's in the chorus. One of those last words on a line. Have to go listen now and see lol.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby annie89509 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:58 pm

perryfan61 wrote:
tater1977 wrote:

It's the line ... "wanting you nearrrrrr" -- I remember that recollection by Tater above. Steve says he always wanted to hit that high note (which he could not get in the studio album) but he was really "reaching for it" that night in Houston. When he heard it "for the 1st time" played back to him in the studio years later, he got emotional and teared up. I believe Lora and Cyndy had also talked about sitting with Steve in those remastering sessions getting the Houston Live DVD released, and they also teared up in the moment.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby annie89509 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:03 pm

The Journey Live in Houston 1981 DVD was released in 2006, I think. It was a 2-pack ... dvd to watch at home and cd for listening in your car (Steve said).
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby annie89509 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:21 pm

This was a great interview by NPR ... I like that it's not the standard promo Q&A stuff -- canned lines that we hear dozens of times. This was different, gave us some insights. I'm an unabashed perryloon but don't get all queasy over SP. Listening to him talk there, and hearing the songs (both new and old) being played, vocals coming through so clear and sharp over my computer speakers, man I had goose-bumps.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby MotherCitay » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:22 pm

Damn ... no NPR Tiny Desk Concert by Steve? Maybe another day?
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Return to Steve Perry