UCR - 2018's Best Rock Songs

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby tater1977 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:23 am

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/best-rock-songs-2018/
- read full article

This past year was marked by comebacks, as Steve Perry, Smashing Pumpkins and Dave Matthews returned. But 2018 also featured plenty of highlight moments from old-reliable types like Paul McCartney, Judas Priest and David Crosby, all of whom have stayed remarkably busy. Paul Simon and Billy Gibbons took long looks back, while Matt Pike released not one but two well-received records. There were also new sounds from new bands, including Greta Van Fleet and Magpie Salute, a Black Crowes offshoot. Here's a look back at 2018's Best Rock Songs …

Steve Perry, 'Sun Shines Gray'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bg-7jT5PFU

Steve Perry's first solo album in nearly 25 years was born out of deep sorrow over a lost love, so it's no surprise that Traces is populated with so many ballads. "Sun Shines Gray," though just as marked by grief, is the exception. Collaborating with guitarist John 5, Perry recaptures every element of his Journey-era arena-pop glory. – Nick DeRiso
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Re: UCR - 2018's Best Rock Songs

Postby tater1977 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:57 am

30 Burning Classic Rock Questions for 2019

- FULL article

Will Steve Perry Take His Comeback to the Stage?

Steve Perry’s comeback album 'Traces' arrived without the speculation overload that derailed Guns N’ Roses over 'Chinese Democracy' 10 years ago. He knew he’d have to contend with constant questions about a Journey reunion – “I left the band 31 fucking years ago!” – and that was quite enough to overshadow a set of songs focusing on the challenging life events he’d dealt with during his absence. Having learned lessons about counting chickens, he hasn’t confirmed if he’ll tour, though he has stated that Journey songs will be in the set list if he does, “because it’s a part of my life, a part of my history.” He’s been keen to ensure he looks after his voice, cautiously rebuilding its strength over time. As a performer returning to the limelight in which he thrived, though, it’s difficult to imagine he won’t hit the road. With mixed reviews for 'Traces,' though, it’ll be interesting to see the scale of the tour and the size of the venues – while Perry defined an era of arena rock, he’s likely to want to play to rooms that are sold out, regardless of their size.

What Becomes of Journey?

Neal Schon put the band on hiatus for at least a year, then confirmed he was planning a “Journey Through Time” tour to feature material from “every album,” exploring “the whole catalog with many surprises.” It looks like former Journey members Gregg Rolie and Deen Castronovo will take part, while the other members are yet to be announced. Recent years have seen an almost entire breakdown in relations between Schon and keyboardist Jonathan Cain, with public arguments and political disagreements making it seem as if the pair is close to cutting ties from one another. So if the “Journey Through Time tour is a success – and there’s no reason to think it won’t be – it’s at least a possibility that the current band lineup will be retired. We’ll know more about how fragile the situation is when Schon publishes his tell-all memoir, which is expected in 2019.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:12 am

UCR 2018's Biggest Classic Rock Stories

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/biggest- ... ries-2018/
- FULL ARTICLE

Journey's Steve Perry Returns After Nearly 25 Years Away

Steve Perry had been gone for more than two decades when he released Traces in October. Tragedy both informed the project and necessitated its release. Perry's girlfriend Kellie Nash was battling cancer when they met, and she made him promise not to return to isolation if anything happened. Nash died of cancer 18 months after their relationship began, and the former Journey star kept his promise. Traces became his first-ever Top 10 solo debut, entering the Billboard chart at No. 6. Speculation about a possible reunion with Journey quickly followed, but Perry emphatically nixed it.
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby Aaron » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:13 pm

The song is great and Perry is my savior on the mic, there has been no better, he's been the best on the mic, ever. However, I can't get past the non rock, throw a slag, wank off approach to the music. I'm disappointed and it kills me, he's the best vocalist ever.

However, here's the new rockin voice moving forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hurQgJXtpKI

tater1977 wrote:UCR - 2018's Best Rock Songs

- read full article

This past year was marked by comebacks, as Steve Perry, Smashing Pumpkins and Dave Matthews returned. But 2018 also featured plenty of highlight moments from old-reliable types like Paul McCartney, Judas Priest and David Crosby, all of whom have stayed remarkably busy. Paul Simon and Billy Gibbons took long looks back, while Matt Pike released not one but two well-received records. There were also new sounds from new bands, including Greta Van Fleet and Magpie Salute, a Black Crowes offshoot. Here's a look back at 2018's Best Rock Songs …

Steve Perry, 'Sun Shines Gray'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bg-7jT5PFU

Steve Perry's first solo album in nearly 25 years was born out of deep sorrow over a lost love, so it's no surprise that Traces is populated with so many ballads. "Sun Shines Gray," though just as marked by grief, is the exception. Collaborating with guitarist John 5, Perry recaptures every element of his Journey-era arena-pop glory. – Nick DeRiso
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Sighlence » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:01 am

Aaron wrote:The song is great and Perry is my savior on the mic, there has been no better, he's been the best on the mic, ever. However, I can't get past the non rock, throw a slag, wank off approach to the music. I'm disappointed and it kills me, he's the best vocalist ever.

Probably 95% of us wish it was harder, and not so dark. Still some good songs on there though, and we know he's still got it. Hopefully his next venture will produce some good upbeat 'rockers'. Definately not the same person he was when he left the scene.
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby scarab » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:08 am

While I did not expect even 2-3 "rockers" from him as thats all we got from ST, ROR, FTLOSM, and even his his unreleased ATW.
On Traces we got maybe 2 If you count No Erasin'

I am mainly like you he can still sing at least at a TBF level at least with or w/o studio help.

And he had probably more "positive" songs then his previous works, No Erasin, Were Still Here, Angel Eyes, Call on Me, and the the Do ya wanna YA-Ya song. :lol:
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:31 pm

Agreed and good post. Man, the whole cd is dark and SLOW. I got into Journey for a few reasons, the best singer ever, the best guitarist ever, and positive songs the rock. Traces has one of the three. :(
Sighlence wrote:
Aaron wrote:The song is great and Perry is my savior on the mic, there has been no better, he's been the best on the mic, ever. However, I can't get past the non rock, throw a slag, wank off approach to the music. I'm disappointed and it kills me, he's the best vocalist ever.

Probably 95% of us wish it was harder, and not so dark. Still some good songs on there though, and we know he's still got it. Hopefully his next venture will produce some good upbeat 'rockers'. Definately not the same person he was when he left the scene.
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:32 pm

You're right. The only song to hit me a bit was Sun Shines Gray, but it faded pretty quickly. :(

scarab wrote:While I did not expect even 2-3 "rockers" from him as thats all we got from ST, ROR, FTLOSM, and even his his unreleased ATW.
On Traces we got maybe 2 If you count No Erasin'

I am mainly like you he can still sing at least at a TBF level at least with or w/o studio help.

And he had probably more "positive" songs then his previous works, No Erasin, Were Still Here, Angel Eyes, Call on Me, and the the Do ya wanna YA-Ya song. :lol:
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:34 am

scarab wrote:And he had probably more "positive" songs then his previous works, No Erasin, Were Still Here, Angel Eyes, Call on Me, and the the Do ya wanna YA-Ya song. :lol:

3 of those you listed are bonus tracks not included on the regular release. So this is simply not true. Traces is mostly a downer.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby ADALBL » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:41 am

Traces is an emotionally honest and very moving, beautifully crafted collection of amazing songs. I enjoy it immensely for what it is. I rarely hear the combination of emotionally honestly, amazing performance and craftsmanship (great musicians and writers at the the top of their craft) these days. I'll say it again, this album gets better and reveals itself more each time I listen to it. If I had to guess, Steve's next release (and I do expect one) will move on to other topics that will also reflect the true emotional honest state that he is in at that time. I understand that if you were looking for or hoping for a different kind of album (say one that was half big rockers) this album does not hit that target. I was looking and hoping for an album full songs that genuinely moved me and contained great vocal performances and musical artistry. I feel that was delivered in spades and as well as anybody is doing that today. I love the organic feel and sonic quality of the record. It just FEELS so much better than most of the stale, autotuned, over quantized stuff that fills much of the airways these days. I was open to accepting the album for whatever it wanted to be and as long as the craft and performances were great. I think this has allowed me to enjoy it as much as I have - which is A LOT! For the sake of enjoyment, I hope others are able to do the same.
ADALBL
Ol' 78

Return to Steve Perry