Former JOURNEY Singer STEVE PERRY Calls Off Trial Over Relea

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Former JOURNEY Singer STEVE PERRY Calls Off Trial Over Relea

Postby tater1977 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:02 am

Former JOURNEY Singer STEVE PERRY Calls Off Trial Over Release Of 1991 Demo Recordings
June 18, 2019

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former ... ecordings/

According to The Blast, former JOURNEY singer Steve Perry has called off a trial over the release of demos he recorded with musician Phil Brown in 1991. Perry claims that the songs were recorded on an 8-track tape recorder in Brown's garage and were never meant for to be heard by the public.

Perry has told the court to take off the court trial, which was scheduled to begin on June 25 in Los Angeles, saying that he is trying to work out a deal with Brown and personally attend mediation with the musician later this month.

Perry sued for an injunction prohibiting Brown from releasing the music and for unspecified damages.

The judge granted a temporary restraining order in Perry's favor in November 2018, which prohibited Brown from releasing the unheard tracks until a further court hearing.

Brown said he did not need Perry's permission to release the music and was demanding the lawsuit be thrown out and the injunction vacated.

Brown is credited as a production assistant and the bassist on the track "Tuesday Heartache" on Perry's 1994 solo album "For The Love Of Strange Medicine". He also worked on the string arrangement for "I Am".

Perry said that he never intended the vocal performances he recorded at Brown's home to be released publicly, and he ultimately decided that the songs he recorded — titled "Somebody Somewhere" and "Don't Push The River" — were not appropriate for his 1994 solo album. None of the musical compositions he created with Brown, and none of the vocal performances he laid down in Brown's home in 1991 appeared on "For The Love Of Strange Medicine" or on any other recording by Perry. Perry said he did no additional work with Brown.

According to Perry, Brown claimed for the first time in 2002 that he had a copyright interest in Perry's 1991 recorded vocal performances, and threatened to release them. Perry, through his attorney, expressly repudiated Brown's claim to a copyright interest in Perry's recorded vocal performances and reasserted Perry's sole ownership of those recorded vocal performances. Brown subsequently never took legal action to dispute Perry's sole copyright ownership of his recorded vocal performances, and never purported to dispute Perry's copyright ownership of those recorded vocal performances in any way for 14 years.

After Perry released his latest solo album, "Traces", in October, Brown, through his representatives, again began claiming an ownership interest in Perry's 1991 recorded vocal performances, and again threatened to release those performances to the public, the singer said. Furthermore,

Brown's manager allegedly began circulating Twitter messages promoting the imminent release of Brown's new CD in a way that misleadingly made it appear that Perry is in Brown's band, APACHES FROM PARIS By intentionally using Perry's image and misleadingly implying that Perry has authorized or approved Brown's conduct, and that Perry is a member of Brown's band just as Perry's solo 'Traces' album is in wide release and garnering significant publicity,

Brown is seeking to confuse and mislead Perry's fans and the consuming public into believing that Brown is associated with Perry when he is not, to induce them to purchase Brown's music rather than Perry's," the singer's complaint read.

"Brown also seeks to mislead fans into believing that Perry's 1991 recorded vocal performances, of which Perry is the sole copyright owner, and which Perry decided not to release because they do not meet his standards, are somehow associated with 'Traces' and are being released with Perry's permission, when they are not."
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Re: Former JOURNEY Singer STEVE PERRY Calls Off Trial Over R

Postby Marabelle » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:49 pm

It's awful when the little guy is fighting the man with the money, name recognition, talent, expensive lawyers and can just call it all in and not have to worry about paying by the minute for legal advice....I have to hand it to Mr Brown who has stuck to his guns ..maybe a bit maliciously, but he knows he has a gold mine on his hands. On the flip side I have read the arguments from Mr Perry and it's his voice and talent and he owns it but...the music...ahh, there must be some kind of attachment and memories associated with the music; more than they do not meet his standards I think there's probably something else attached to this for him to go to such lengths to stop the poor man dead in his tracks. We might never hear the music; that's alright, I have heard more music from this man than any other singer in my lifetime..but it would have been nice to hear him when he was singing for pleasure and enjoying every bit of the process. When he has fun singing, when he is smiling and flowing with the words and feeling the emotion of the music and is just there with the words; you know the sound is special. But; oh well, put it in the vaults. Lock it away. Your voice. Your songs. Your talent. Mr Brown, I don't think you have a chance.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Re: Former JOURNEY Singer STEVE PERRY Calls Off Trial Over R

Postby tater1977 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:49 pm

All roads lead to ...

Andrew W. Griffin / Editor & Owner
https://www.reddirtreport.com/dust-devi ... roads-lead

… She was stunned by this. She then said, “Well, as it happens, my birthday is September 11th.” And she proceeded to tell me that she was getting ready for breakfast (“breakfast in America,” anyone?) when the news came of the Twin Towers being hit. It made for an awkward birthday, she said.

She then said she liked classic rock (she was nearly 20 when the song came out) like Supertramp and loved Steve Perry. That was strange, as I have a good friend who had been involved in a legal battle with Mr. Perry, which was just dropped last month.

She nodded. And then the next song was “Any Way You Want It” by Journey – Steve Perry’s old band – comes hot on the heels of “Goodbye Stranger.” We looked at each other in disbelief.

Anyway, it was just interesting, as the conversation swirled around 9/11. She added, with emphasis, "After that day, everything changed. Everything." ...
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Return to Steve Perry