President Barack Obama - Term 1 and 2 Thread

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:36 am

K.C.Journey Fan wrote: Unlike you, I don't put much stock into what people think that can't even keep a simple family together without it self destructing or turning into a freak show for a buck.


You're projecting. I never said I put much stock into what Meryl Streep thinks or says. Because I'm an American, I'll defend her right to say it whenever and wherever she chooses. I wasn't aware she had turned her family into a freak show for a buck.

And since the national divorce rate is somewhere between 40 and 50%, you evidently don't much stock into what approximately half your neighbors and friends think, which is entirely your prerogative. Those folks might argue there's nothing "simple" about keeping a "simple family together," regardless of your chosen profession.
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:57 am

UncleKG wrote:
K.C.Journey Fan wrote: Unlike you, I don't put much stock into what people think that can't even keep a simple family together without it self destructing or turning into a freak show for a buck.


You're projecting. I never said I put much stock into what Meryl Streep thinks or says. Because I'm an American, I'll defend her right to say it whenever and wherever she chooses. I wasn't aware she had turned her family into a freak show for a buck.

And since the national divorce rate is somewhere between 40 and 50%, you evidently don't much stock into what approximately half your neighbors and friends think, which is entirely your prerogative. Those folks might argue there's nothing "simple" about keeping a "simple family together," regardless of your chosen profession.


So, by your own admission, you have the right to yell fire in a crowded theater. What Streep did, in the time and place she did it was wrong. YOU don't think so. Oh well.
K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3419
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:19 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:58 am

UncleKG wrote:
K.C.Journey Fan wrote:"Absolutely he has the right to say it, and he did say it. No one jailed him or prevented him from doing so. He just then suffered the repercussions for being caught doing so. Free speech rights doesn't include freedom from repercussions. "

Yet you whine at us for excersising ours. By the way, he was fired the next day by WWE after signing a ten year contract. THEY didn't want to suffer for HIS words.


You're whining about Streep exercising hers. I'm pointing out she has a right to share her opinions. So, if I'm "whining," which are you in this discussion: pot or kettle?


No, I'm talking about where and when she did it. Hogan was on his own time and caught on an open mike. As for the Dixie Chicks,

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/destr ... ars-after/

Opinions are expressed, I'm done with this waste of time.
K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3419
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:19 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby JBlake » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:38 am

Fact Finder wrote:Your first Mellencamp article was from 5 or 6 years before his Iraq stance, and your second is full of his bullshit about not wanting to play bigger arenas because he isn't 25 anymore, I call bull shit on John. As for the Chicks, they played to tons of empty seats on this last tour..

Tinley Park holds 28,059, tickets sold 21,516 = 6,543 empty seat
Holmdel holds 15,883, tickets sold 8,210 = 7,673 empty seats
Burgettstown holds 21,731, tickets sold 11,262 = 10,469 empty seats
Saratoga Springs holds 24,599, tickets sold 15,943 = 8,656 empty seats
NYC Madison Sq, Garden holds 14,521, tickets sold 10,366 = 4,155 empty seats
Mansfield holds 19,422, tickets sold 10,503 = 8,919 empty seats
Hartford holds 23,089, tickets sold 10,291 = 12,798 empty seats = over half empty
Camden holds 23,429, tickets sold = 9,573 = 13,856 empty seats = over half empty

I could go on, but yes some markets they did good, even had a few sell outs, but over all, and without going through 60 or so shows I see a lot of empty seats..probably averaged between 60% to 75% of tickets sold in most markets.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DCX_MMXVI_World_Tour


Wow.....Melloncamp. That's an act I've not said the name of for decades now. Wow, hard to really tell which I'd rather listen to, one of Mellocamp songs or one of those old Mentos song commercials. Yeah, neither.
God better be wearing his titanium cup when I arrive to be judged, cause the very first thing I'm going to do is break my foot off in his balls. Liberals and Dems are proof that Satan has, to some extent, a sense of humor.
JBlake
8 Track
 
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:04 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:18 am

K.C.Journey Fan wrote: So, by your own admission, you have the right to yell fire in a crowded theater. What Streep did, in the time and place she did it was wrong. YOU don't think so. Oh well.


False equivalency. Nice try, though. Yelling fire in a crowded theater is considered "dangerous speech." What she said is not (except maybe to those who don't like a free press, or who feel it's OK to belittle people). Huge (oh, wait, let me put it in a language that makes more sense. YUGE) difference.
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:21 am

K.C.Journey Fan wrote:
No, I'm talking about where and when she did it. Hogan was on his own time and caught on an open mike. As for the Dixie Chicks,

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/destr ... ars-after/

Opinions are expressed, I'm done with this waste of time.


Great article. Factually inaccurate, since the band is not "dead," but the last couple of paragraphs are well-said.

"Reflecting back on the Dixie Chicks and the public fallout, it is hard to not see that the country music community’s reaction was unmeasured, unfair, and overall, unhealthy for its future...But most unfortunately, the event leaves country music with a black eye as a genre who can’t respect artists regardless of their beliefs. This typecasting of the country music fan as a closed-minded, politically-intolerant animal is a legacy it will take country music a long time to shake."
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:35 am

"a genre who can’t respect artists regardless of their beliefs" Any reason why I should? Maybe they should worry about pissing off their paying customers, though honestly, I was never one.
K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3419
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:19 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:44 am

K.C.Journey Fan wrote:"a genre who can’t respect artists regardless of their beliefs" Any reason why I should? Maybe they should worry about pissing off their paying customers, though honestly, I was never one.


Any reason why you should? I don't know...maybe to try and aspire to be the "bigger person?"
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:42 am

Anybody see Trump take a piss on CNN?

It was wonderful and other press clapped when he did.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BgwWuoxljMY

"Dont be rude, no I'm not going to give you a question, You are fake news."

Boom!
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12199
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:48 am

K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3419
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:19 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:55 am

Fact Finder wrote:Anybody see Trump take a piss on CNN?

It was wonderful and other press clapped when he did.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BgwWuoxljMY

"Dont be rude, no I'm not going to give you a question, You are fake news."

Boom!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8uxA1fuUNA

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3419
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:19 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:13 am

UncleKG wrote:
K.C.Journey Fan wrote:"a genre who can’t respect artists regardless of their beliefs" Any reason why I should? Maybe they should worry about pissing off their paying customers, though honestly, I was never one.


Any reason why you should? I don't know...maybe to try and aspire to be the "bigger person?"


In the context of an artist and their audience, "the audience" doesn't owe the artist anything. The audience is the paying customer, in other words the artist's client. If an artist feels the audience is not receptive to your work or opinions, then perhaps you need to seek out an audience that does. This is why it's called entertainment. If your not doing something that your audience likes then it ceases to be entertainment.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5703
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:25 am

Boomchild wrote:
UncleKG wrote:
K.C.Journey Fan wrote:"a genre who can’t respect artists regardless of their beliefs" Any reason why I should? Maybe they should worry about pissing off their paying customers, though honestly, I was never one.


Any reason why you should? I don't know...maybe to try and aspire to be the "bigger person?"


In the context of an artist and their audience, "the audience" doesn't owe the artist anything. The audience is the paying customer, in other words the artist's client. If an artist feels the audience is not receptive to your work or opinions, then perhaps you need to seek out an audience that does. This is why it's called entertainment. If your not doing something that your audience likes then it ceases to be entertainment.


The customer is always right, right?
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12199
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:27 am

K.C.Journey Fan wrote:
Fact Finder wrote:Anybody see Trump take a piss on CNN?

It was wonderful and other press clapped when he did.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BgwWuoxljMY

"Dont be rude, no I'm not going to give you a question, You are fake news."

Boom!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8uxA1fuUNA

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


I could watch that all day, poor CNN, they are in for a rough 4 years, I hope Trump pulls their press credentials and burns that playhouse down.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12199
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:08 am

Fact Finder wrote:The customer is always right, right?


The customer is entitled to a reasonable expectation that they are going to get what they paid for. Not something that they didn't expect to see or hear. As far as the incident with Streep is concerned, the audience showed up to celebrate the arts and the people associated with it. They didn't come there to hear a lecture on one persons political views. It called having respect and tact for the event and those who organized it. Streep chose to just shit all over them. That is the real issue here and not what her opinions and positions are when it comes to politics. Even Trump with his response to it missed the boat on the matter.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5703
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:38 pm

http://conservativevideos.com/msnbc-wan ... ing-video/

Wow! MSNBC wants CNN to cut out the bullshit.
K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3419
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:19 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:38 am

Fact Finder wrote:I could watch that all day, poor CNN, they are in for a rough 4 years, I hope Trump pulls their press credentials and burns that playhouse down.


Let's review. There was a memo that was shared with Trump and Obama in their security briefings (according to intelligence officials). That's what CNN reported. Assuming the memo was shared with both men, CNN's story was true.

CNN's biased, no doubt (as are all news outlets), but to suggest they're "fake news" is asinine, especially coming from a guy who posts half-truths and blatant falsehoods to Twitter on an almost daily basis.

Then for him to turn around and take a question from Breitbart, a notoriously biased site that could much more quickly be called "fake news" than CNN, is laughable.

The clapping came from Trump staffers, not the press. This has been confirmed by multiple news outlets (so take your pick which one or ones you choose to believe) http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/donald-trump-staffers-cheered-during-explosive-press-conference/news-story/a81d7567c270903a0d1fc3e9277202a5 The press doesn't applaud during press events.

You hope he pulls their press credentials? So that whole "freedom of the press" thing doesn't trip your trigger because they report unflattering things about the president? Got it.

Care to address his B.S. plan to detach from his business dealings by...letting his SONS run his businesses? Yeah, that certainly doesn't leave any possibility of collusion or corruption!! You know, the plan that the Government Ethics Chief calls "wholly inadequate?" http://www.marketwatch.com/story/government-ethics-chief-blasts-trumps-business-plan-as-meaningless-2017-01-11 What a joke. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Boomchild » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:13 am

UncleKG wrote:Care to address his B.S. plan to detach from his business dealings by...letting his SONS run his businesses? Yeah, that certainly doesn't leave any possibility of collusion or corruption!! You know, the plan that the Government Ethics Chief calls "wholly inadequate?" http://www.marketwatch.com/story/government-ethics-chief-blasts-trumps-business-plan-as-meaningless-2017-01-11 What a joke. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:


According to the law, any POTUS is EXEMPT from having to divest themselves from their business interests that could be considered a possible "conflict of interest" while holding office. So he is not obligated to do what he has done. When Nelson Rockefeller was V.P. of the U.S. he did not "divest" himself from his business interests that could have been considered a "conflict of interest". Back then you didn't have people complaining about it. The only reason this is an issue now is because it's Donald Trump.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5703
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Memorex » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:19 am

Boomchild wrote:
UncleKG wrote:Care to address his B.S. plan to detach from his business dealings by...letting his SONS run his businesses? Yeah, that certainly doesn't leave any possibility of collusion or corruption!! You know, the plan that the Government Ethics Chief calls "wholly inadequate?" http://www.marketwatch.com/story/government-ethics-chief-blasts-trumps-business-plan-as-meaningless-2017-01-11 What a joke. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:


According to the law, any POTUS is EXEMPT from having to divest themselves from their business interests that could be considered a possible "conflict of interest" while holding office. So he is not obligated to do what he has done. When Nelson Rockefeller was V.P. of the U.S. he did not "divest" himself from his business interests that could have been considered a "conflict of interest". Back then you didn't have people complaining about it. The only reason this is an issue now is because it's Donald Trump.


The American people know exactly who Trump is. He is nothing if not a man tied deeply to his businesses. Americans do not see Trump without seeing his business. They elected him. Which means they were not concerned.

Look at congress. These people make tons based on insider info and are exempt from laws preventing it. So I think we'll be ok. Stop worrying about the boogy man. We have bigger things to concern ourselves with.
User avatar
Memorex
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3034
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:30 pm

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:24 am

Memorex wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
According to the law, any POTUS is EXEMPT from having to divest themselves from their business interests that could be considered a possible "conflict of interest" while holding office. So he is not obligated to do what he has done. When Nelson Rockefeller was V.P. of the U.S. he did not "divest" himself from his business interests that could have been considered a "conflict of interest". Back then you didn't have people complaining about it. The only reason this is an issue now is because it's Donald Trump.


The American people know exactly who Trump is. He is nothing if not a man tied deeply to his businesses. Americans do not see Trump without seeing his business. They elected him. Which means they were not concerned.

Look at congress. These people make tons based on insider info and are exempt from laws preventing it. So I think we'll be ok. Stop worrying about the boogy man. We have bigger things to concern ourselves with.


"Hey, we know he's going to use his position to be influenced by his business relationships, make policies that could positively affect his businesses regardless of whether they're a positive for America as a whole and potentially take corruption to levels unseen in our lifetimes, but it's cool."

For 40 years, presidents have put their business interests in blind trusts. The only reason you're OK with this about face is because it's Donald Trump.

Sorry, but I feel the ethics of the leader of the free world is one of the "bigger things to concern ourselves with."
Last edited by UncleKG on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Boomchild » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:27 am

UncleKG wrote:You hope he pulls their press credentials? So that whole "freedom of the press" thing doesn't trip your trigger because they report unflattering things about the president? Got it.


This is such a hypocritical stance. Everyone one knows that if Hillary Clinton won the election she would be looking to target those she deemed as "fake news". She publicly spoke about how "fake news" about her was one of the reasons on her "laundry list" of reasons she lost the election. She even went as far as stating the Congress "needed to act" on the issue of "fake news". Where was the public outcry of "freedom of the press" when she was talking about the very same thing?
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5703
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:31 am

Boomchild wrote:
UncleKG wrote:You hope he pulls their press credentials? So that whole "freedom of the press" thing doesn't trip your trigger because they report unflattering things about the president? Got it.


This is such a hypocritical stance. Everyone one knows that if Hillary Clinton won the election she would be looking to target those she deemed as "fake news". She publicly spoke about how "fake news" about her was one of the reasons on her "laundry list" of reasons she lost the election. She even went as far as stating the Congress "needed to act" on the issue of "fake news". Where was the public outcry of "freedom of the press" when she was talking about the very same thing?


CNN's report wasn't "fake news." It was a fact. Intelligence officials report they presented him with the memo, which is what CNN said. You realize that facts cannot, by definition, be "fake," right? You legitimately suggest one of the largest news organizations in the WORLD is "fake news?" As I said, call them biased all you want, but "fake?" You think their attorneys, of which they certainly have dozens, are going to allow them to open themselves up to Libel and Slander charges of that magnitude? Come on.
Last edited by UncleKG on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Boomchild » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:40 am

UncleKG wrote:
"Hey, we know he's going to use his position to be influenced by his business relationships, make policies that could positively affect his businesses regardless of whether they're a positive for America as a whole and potentially take corruption to levels unseen in our lifetimes, but it's cool."

For 40 years, presidents have put their business interests in blind trusts. The only reason you're OK with this about face is because it's Donald Trump.

Sorry, but I feel the ethics of the leader of the free world is one of the "bigger things to concern ourselves with."


No, it's not "we know" he is going to do it. It is you, suggesting he is going to do it. You want to indict and convict without proof. I gave you an example of someone that didn't do what we are talking about here. Granted it was the V.P. on not the POTUS but, he could have easily used his power and influence in the second most powerful position in the free world to his own advantage when it came to his personal business interests.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5703
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Fact Finder » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:41 am

UncleKG wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
UncleKG wrote:You hope he pulls their press credentials? So that whole "freedom of the press" thing doesn't trip your trigger because they report unflattering things about the president? Got it.


This is such a hypocritical stance. Everyone one knows that if Hillary Clinton won the election she would be looking to target those she deemed as "fake news". She publicly spoke about how "fake news" about her was one of the reasons on her "laundry list" of reasons she lost the election. She even went as far as stating the Congress "needed to act" on the issue of "fake news". Where was the public outcry of "freedom of the press" when she was talking about the very same thing?


CNN's report wasn't "fake news." It was a fact.Intelligence officials report they presented him with the memo, which is what CNN said. You realize that facts cannot, by definition, be "fake," right?



Bzzzzzt...WRONG! Wanna try again? CNN did not vet that report at all and now have egg all over their faces and deservedly so.

This evening, I had the opportunity to speak with President-elect Donald Trump to discuss recent media reports about our briefing last Friday. I expressed my profound dismay at the leaks that have been appearing in the press, and we both agreed that they are extremely corrosive and damaging to our national security.

We also discussed the private security company document, which was widely circulated in recent months among the media, members of Congress and Congressional staff even before the IC became aware of it. I emphasized that this document is not a U.S. Intelligence Community product and that I do not believe the leaks came from within the IC. The IC has not made any judgment that the information in this document is reliable, and we did not rely upon it in any way for our conclusions. However, part of our obligation is to ensure that policymakers are provided with the fullest possible picture of any matters that might affect national security.

President-elect Trump again affirmed his appreciation for all the men and women serving in the Intelligence Community, and I assured him that the IC stands ready to serve his Administration and the American people.

James R. Clapper, Director of National Intelligence
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12199
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Boomchild » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:53 am

UncleKG wrote:CNN's report wasn't "fake news." It was a fact. Intelligence officials report they presented him with the memo, which is what CNN said. You realize that facts cannot, by definition, be "fake," right? You legitimately suggest one of the largest news organizations in the WORLD is "fake news?" As I said, call them biased all you want, but "fake?" You think their attorneys, of which they certainly have dozens, are going to allow them to open themselves up to Libel and Slander charges of that magnitude? Come on.


I'm addressing your point of "freedom of the press", Trump calling CNN "fake news" at his press conference and your assertion of having their press credentials yanked. Not the specifics of the intelligence report. When Hillary publicly spoke about "fake news" she didn't even refer to any specific story or report. Which is even worse because it's such a ambiguous statement. Again, the question still remains, where was the public outcry about "freedom of the press" then?
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5703
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Boomchild » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:58 am

UncleKG wrote: You think their attorneys, of which they certainly have dozens, are going to allow them to open themselves up to Libel and Slander charges of that magnitude? Come on.


Apparently so, since just days prior to this incident CNN did a story on Assange of Wikileaks in which they had to do a redaction in order to avoid charges brought by him.

Day by day CNN is losing any credibility they may have had at some point.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5703
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:06 am

Fact Finder wrote:
Bzzzzzt...WRONG! Wanna try again? CNN did not vet that report at all and now have egg all over their faces and deservedly so.


Bzzzzz...WRONG! Wanna try again? They didn't publish the report itself because they said it hadn't been substantiated, but Buzzfeed did.

The CNN story said that intelligence officials had presented the report to Trump (which they HAD!). That's a FACT. That's what Trump is using (and all he has to use in this case) for calling CNN "fake news."

"Last week, the explosive details — unsubstantiated accounts of frolics with prostitutes, real estate deals that were intended as bribes and coordination with Russian intelligence of the hacking of Democrats — were summarized for Mr. Trump in an appendix to a top-secret intelligence report. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/11/us/politics/donald-trump-russia-intelligence.html?_r=0
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:08 am

Boomchild wrote:
UncleKG wrote: You think their attorneys, of which they certainly have dozens, are going to allow them to open themselves up to Libel and Slander charges of that magnitude? Come on.


Apparently so, since just days prior to this incident CNN did a story on Assange of Wikileaks in which they had to do a redaction in order to avoid charges brought by him.

Day by day CNN is losing any credibility they may have had at some point.


Networks sometimes do have to offer retractions. Ask FOX News. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/fox-news-apologizes-for-falsely-reporting-that-clinton-faces-indictment/2016/11/04/8fd56f20-a2b7-11e6-8d63-3e0a660f1f04_story.html?utm_term=.c4cef071f114.
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Fact Finder » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:27 am

UncleKG wrote:
Fact Finder wrote:
Bzzzzzt...WRONG! Wanna try again? CNN did not vet that report at all and now have egg all over their faces and deservedly so.


Bzzzzz...WRONG! Wanna try again? They didn't publish the report itself because they said it hadn't been substantiated, but Buzzfeed did.

The CNN story said that intelligence officials had presented the report to Trump (which they HAD!). That's a FACT. That's what Trump is using (and all he has to use in this case) for calling CNN "fake news."

"Last week, the explosive details — unsubstantiated accounts of frolics with prostitutes, real estate deals that were intended as bribes and coordination with Russian intelligence of the hacking of Democrats — were summarized for Mr. Trump in an appendix to a top-secret intelligence report. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/11/us/politics/donald-trump-russia-intelligence.html?_r=0


You need to keep up...

More details emerged on Thursday of how it was presented to the Trump team in a briefing from a senior intelligence official to NBC News, which was reported on MSNBC's Morning Joe.

The official said that the two-page document summarizing the claims was given to the Trump transition team - but in a secure room in Washington D.C., and not in Trump Tower.

It was not referred to in the oral briefing in any form, the official told the broadcaster. The report backs up Trump's denial of any knowledge of the dossier until it emerged on Tuesday evening.

Placing it in a secure room would mean that it could not be copied or moved by the Trump team to take it to the president-elect and any discussion of it would have been on secure telephone lines or secure email.

However it also raises the question of who briefed the initial leaked story to CNN that the material had been presented to the president-elect - which was followed by Buzzfeed's publication.


Clapper himself said that he telephoned Trump and told him that he was 'dismayed' by leaks of a now discredited intelligence document.

During their phone call Clapper also told Trump that he did not believe the leaks of the claims, which have not been substantiated, came from within the US intelligence community.

The statement did not address whether the disclosure of the presence of the summary document in briefing materials came from the intelligence community - which is now the central point.


CNN didn't vet that story and neither did buzzfeed, apparently you didn't watch CNN yesterday or the night before. Lemon, Tapper and none other than Carl Bernstein all declaring the USA is now in a Constitutional Crisis not seen since Watergate. CNN was breathlessly reporting with just enough tidbits sprinkled in that the average viewer would go to Buzzfeed and read the dirty details. CNN was pissing all over Trump and all but had impeachment papers ready to be drawn up, even a Dem Senator who's name I didn't catch was in on the act. It was fake news reporting of the highest order with not one shred of proof the report was real. Clapper shut them down today with his statement, but I'll note that NPR was still running this fake news this morning like good little Commie shills. Defund NPR while your at it Mr. Trump, I'll be cheering from the cheap seats.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12199
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:29 am

Boomchild wrote:
I'm addressing your point of "freedom of the press", Trump calling CNN "fake news" at his press conference and your assertion of having their press credentials yanked. Not the specifics of the intelligence report. When Hillary publicly spoke about "fake news" she didn't even refer to any specific story or report. Which is even worse because it's such a ambiguous statement. Again, the question still remains, where was the public outcry about "freedom of the press" then?


Stories that are truly "fake news" are typically libel and slander, which are criminal and should not be seen as having the same freedoms as stories that are factually accurate (albeit biased or slanted).

What's your point on all this? Because you don't feel like there was enough public outcry when a presidential candidate said it, there shouldn't be an outcry when the PRESIDENT ELECT throws the word around, especially at outlets that don't fit the definition?
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

PreviousNext

Return to Death By Stereo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests