Albums that need remastering...BAD.

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Albums that need remastering...BAD.

Postby TageRyche » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:16 am

kgdjpubs wrote:the Bob Catley "Spirit of Man" album should be pretty near the top of the list. One of the worst sounding albums I've ever heard from a well-known singer of a relatively popular band (Magnum--who had some decent success in the UK/Europe, but never broke the US).

Really? I just listened to that a few weeks back and I didn't think it sounded so bad.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby AR » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:39 am

Been a Magnum fan since the 80's/ Rare in the U.S. Haven't heard Catley's solo stuff though.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby kgdjpubs » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:21 am

TageRyche wrote:
kgdjpubs wrote:the Bob Catley "Spirit of Man" album should be pretty near the top of the list. One of the worst sounding albums I've ever heard from a well-known singer of a relatively popular band (Magnum--who had some decent success in the UK/Europe, but never broke the US).

Really? I just listened to that a few weeks back and I didn't think it sounded so bad.

I tend to agree dead on with Andrew on this review for the album. It could have been so much more.
http://www.melodic-rock.com/reviews/bob ... itofman.p3

Yes, this is a nice big rock record, but some of that impact is lost with a sound that is thinner than it should be.
What is hardest for me to understand is why this album is hard to listen to at high volume. Let's face it – we all want to crank the volume, but when doing so here, the frequency hurts my ears. Sonically this album has a tinny edge to it that makes it near impossible to crank loud with comfort.
Strangely enough, I found myself stating this very same fact in regards to the last Vince O'Regan produced album – Pulse's World's Apart – an album that was virtually ruined by poor production and mastering.
On Spirit Of Man I find the rhythm section is sometimes too low in the mix and even Bob's lead vocals sometimes don't seem as powerful as I know they are in real life and play second fiddle to the music.
kgdjpubs
Cassette Tape

Postby TageRyche » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:28 am

Okay, thanks for your take on the album. The next time I listen, I'll have to listen more intently to see if I hear what you say.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:35 am

The first 4 Iron Maiden albums. I like the songs, but I don't like how they sound on their original albums. Actually I guess I just don't like the production of most older bands' early albums. When it comes to Iron Maiden, Styx, Journey, etc, I tend to prefer newer live versions of the songs.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby kgdjpubs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:44 pm

AR wrote:Been a Magnum fan since the 80's/ Rare in the U.S. Haven't heard Catley's solo stuff though.

I'd put The Tower up against the best of the Magnum albums. When Empires Burn is quite good as well. The style varies a bit across them all, so they all kinda have their own sound. Hard to wrong with Catley--such a good singer.
kgdjpubs
Cassette Tape

Previous

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara