President Barack Obama - Term 1 and 2 Thread

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Postby Luvsaugeri » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:57 am

And then not only do they not pay taxes, but then they get to just pay what they owe.

I'm pretty sure if it was you or me there would be a boatload of interest tacked on as well.

(Dean I am impressed!!)
Image
Luvsaugeri
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1187
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:21 pm
Location: Buckeye Nation

Postby RossValoryRocks » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:57 am

Fact Finder wrote:
Onestepper wrote:
Fact Finder wrote:Hey Dean, help me out, who in W's admin had these kinds of tax problems except for Bernard Kerik. This is looking like a record of promoting tax cheats, and I'm still galled that the Pubs didn't kill Geithner as TreasSec. Dem or Pub, this is not a comfort to the public who actually pay attention. It pisses alot of people off bigtime, O needs a better vetting machine or something.


Sorry but you can't put Franken on Obama. Or Rangel. The three nominees are fully the responsibility of the administration, because they not only did not vet them properly, but have gone out of their way to 'support' them, even though they claimed things would be different. Those tax issues have been dogging Franken for quite a while and piece of dog crap still got elected..well, sort of.


No, I'm not putting Franken and Rangel on Obama. You are correct. They are on that side (D) though, and thus fair game. I'm seeing a lot of Dem tax cheats the last few days. Plus Blago. Just sayin'.


The reason is the Democrats are in the spotlight...if McCain had won Blago would still be Govenor of Illinois...when the harsh light and the camera eye are on you things like this will be found...and today you cannot keep ANYTHING hidden be you a Republican, Democrat or Independent. It's just the way the world works...and I think is has both good and bad consequences.
User avatar
RossValoryRocks
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3858
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:47 pm

Postby Fact Finder » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:01 am

Luvsaugeri wrote:And then not only do they not pay taxes, but then they get to just pay what they owe.

I'm pretty sure if it was you or me there would be a boatload of interest tacked on as well.

(Dean I am impressed!!)


Intrest, lawyers, loss of home, possibly jail.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12253
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:06 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
conversationpc wrote:This is the worst kind reasoning and the typical twisting of the facts that happens when someone votes against a bill. They voted against the bill as a whole, not because it allocated funds to rebuild infrastructure. Heck, I suppose if it had a provision for giving money to the elderly, you'd be saying the Republicans want old folks to die. :roll:


One of Reagan's express goals coming into office was to wedge a stake into federal infrastructure spending.
He succeeded.
The Cons of today would prolly have voted against Ike's Interstate Highway System.
Lula is dead on.

conversationpc wrote:I don't care what "The Cons of today" would do. This is MY opinion.


Ok, but you're subject was the GOP as a whole....

conversationpc wrote:Anyway, your argument is crap. Conservatives have no problem with spending on infrastructure. Lula is dead off.


As long as it is farmed out to private contractors (mainly thru sweetheart deals or no-bid-contracts), you're right.
As far as supporting it at the federal level (or any greater good initiative at the federal level) that’s simply not in their genetic code.
Last edited by The_Noble_Cause on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 12492
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Postby Fact Finder » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:14 am

Deano, I will bash my own this way. W was way too much like his dad GHW. They both think/thought that they could get along with the Dems. They hopefully have learned by now, that that isn't possible. The Dems don't allow it.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12253
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:33 am

Fact Finder wrote:Deano, I will bash my own this way. W was way too much like his dad GHW. They both think/thought that they could get along with the Dems. They hopefully have learned by now, that that isn't possible. The Dems don't allow it.


Too bad on nearly every achievement of the administration (war, wiretaps etc. ), the Dems caved.
Funny things, those stubborn facts. :roll:
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 12492
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Postby Fact Finder » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:41 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Fact Finder wrote:Deano, I will bash my own this way. W was way too much like his dad GHW. They both think/thought that they could get along with the Dems. They hopefully have learned by now, that that isn't possible. The Dems don't allow it.


Too bad on nearly every achievement of the administration (war, wiretaps etc. ), the Dems caved.
Funny things, those stubborn facts. :roll:


That's my point TNC. The Dems didn't cave, (see all the quotes leadng up to the war) they took a 75% approval rating down to 10% because of power. Sick.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12253
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:00 am

Looks like todays news is not good for the One. Maureen Dowd :shock: gives a bit of a kicking to O, and Victor Davis Hanson slams him out of the park. The Wall Street Journal tears the stimulus a new asshole.

Let's start with Ms. Dowds piece from the New York Times shall we?

Well, That Certainly Didn’t Take Long

By MAUREEN DOWD
Published: February 3, 2009

On 9/11, President Bush learned of disaster while reading “The Pet Goat” to grade-school kids. On Tuesday, President Obama escaped from disaster by reading “The Moon Over Star” to grade-school kids.

“We were just tired of being in the White House,” the two-week-old president, with Michelle at his side, explained to students at a public charter school near the White House.

Even as he told the children his favorite superheroes were Batman and Spider-Man, his own dream of being the superhero who swoops in to swiftly save America was going SPLAT!

It just ain’t that easy.

Unlike W. and Dick Cheney, who heroically resisted acknowledging their historically boneheaded mistakes, President Obama summoned a conga line of Anderson, Katie, Brian, Chris and Charlie to the Oval Office to do penance, over and over.

“I think I messed up. I screwed up,” he confessed to Couric.

He told the anchors that the man who helped make him president, Tom Daschle, had made “a serious mistake” by not paying taxes on a car and driver. (It should have been a harbinger of doom when Daschle began sporting those determined-to-be-hip round red glasses.)

Mr. Obama admitted that “ultimately it’s important for this administration to send a message that there aren’t two sets of rules. You know, one for prominent people and one for ordinary folks who have to pay their taxes.”

It took Daschle’s resignation to shake the president out of his arrogant attitude that his charmed circle doesn’t have to abide by the lofty standards he lectured the rest of us about for two years.

Before he recanted, his hand forced by a cascade of appointees who “forgot” to pay taxes, his reasoning was creeping perilously close to that of the outgoing leaders he denounced in his Inaugural Address: that elitist mentality of “we know best,” we know we’re doing the “right” thing for the country, so we can twist the rules.

Mr. Obama’s errors on the helter-skelter stimulus package were also self-induced. He should put down those Lincoln books and order “Dave” from Netflix.

When Kevin Kline becomes an accidental president, he summons his personal accountant, Murray Blum, to the White House to cut millions in silly programs out of the federal budget so he can give money to the homeless.

“Who does these books?” Blum says with disgust, red-penciling an ad campaign to boost consumers’ confidence in cars they’d already bought. “If I ran my office this way, I’d be out of business.”

Mr. Obama should have taken a red pencil to the $819 billion stimulus bill and slashed all the provisions that looked like caricatures of Democratic drunken-sailor spending.

As Senator Kit Bond, a Republican, put it, there were so many good targets that he felt “like a mosquito in a nudist colony.” He was especially worried about the provision requiring the steel and iron for infrastructure construction to be American-made, and by the time the chastened president talked to Chris Wallace on Fox Tuesday, he agreed that “we can’t send a protectionist message.”

Mr. Obama protested to Brian Williams that the programs denounced as “wasteful” by Republicans “amount to less than 1 percent of the entire package.” All the more reason to cut them and create a lean, clean bill tailored to creating jobs.

The Democratic president has been spending so much time trying — and failing — to win over Republicans that he may not have noticed the disillusionment in his own ranks.

Betrayed by their bankers and leaders, Americans were desperate to trust someone when they made Barack Obama president. His debut has left them skeptical about his willingness to smack down those who would flout his high standards or waste our money.

Companies that have gotten bailouts continue to make a mockery of taxpayers.

Until it came to light Tuesday, Wells Fargo, which received $25 billion in federal funds, was blithely planning a series of “employee recognition outings” to Las Vegas luxury hotels this month.

As ABC reported, Bank of America took its $45 billion in bailout funds and sponsored a five-day carnival outside the Super Bowl stadium, and Morgan Stanley took its $10 billion in bailout money and held a three-day conference at the Breakers in Palm Beach. (Morgan Stanley had also still planned to send top employees to Monte Carlo and the Bahamas, events just canceled.)

The New York Post revealed that Sandy Weill, former chief executive of Citigroup, took a company jet to fly his family for a Christmas holiday to a $12,000-a-night luxury resort in San José del Cabo, Mexico. No matter that the company just got a $50 billion federal bailout and laid off 53,000 worldwide.

The interior of the 18-seat jet, as described by The Post, is posh, with a full bar, fine-wine selection, $13,000 carpets, Baccarat crystal glasses, Cristofle sterling silver flatware and — my personal favorite — pillows made from Hermès scarves.

Aux barricades!

Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12253
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:02 am

Victor Davis Hanson writes in National Reviews "The Corner"

Wednesday, February 04, 2009



The Impending Obama Meltdown [Victor Davis Hanson]


Some of us have been warning that it was not healthy for the U.S. media to have deified rather than questioned Obama, especially given that they tore apart Bush, ridiculed Palin, and caricatured Hillary. And now we can see the results of their two years of advocacy rather than scrutiny.

We are quite literally after two weeks teetering on an Obama implosion—and with no Dick Morris to bail him out—brought on by messianic delusions of grandeur, hubris, and a strange naivete that soaring rhetoric and a multiracial profile can add requisite cover to good old-fashioned Chicago politicking.

First, there were the sermons on ethics, belied by the appointments of tax dodgers, crass lobbyists, and wheeler-dealers like Richardson—with the relish of the Blago tapes still to come. (And why does Richardson/Daschle go, but not Geithner?).

Second, was the "stimulus" (the euphemism for "borrow/print money") that was simply a way to go into debt for a generation to shower Democratic constituencies with cash.

Then third, there were the inflated lectures on historic foreign policy to be made by the clumsy political novice who trashed his own country and his predecessor in the most ungracious manner overseas to a censured Saudi-run press organ (e.g., Bush is dictatorial, the Saudi king is courageous; Obama can mend bridges that America broke to aggrieved Muslims—apparently Tehran hostages, Rushdie, serial attacks in the 1990s, 9/11, Madrid, London never apparently occurred; and neither did feeding Somalis, saving Kuwait, protesting Chechnya, Bosnia/Kosovo, billions to Egypt, Jordan, the Palestinians, help in two Afghan wars, and on and on).

Fourth, there was the campaign rhetoric of Bush shredding the Constitution—FISA, Guantánamo, the Patriot Act, Iraq, renditions, etc.—followed by "all that for now stays the same" inasmuch as we haven't ben hit in over seven years and can't risk another attack.

Fifth, Gibbs as press secretary is a Scott McClellan nightmare that won't go away, given his long McClellan-like relationship with Obama (McClellan should have been fired on day hour one on the job). Blaming Fox News for Obama's calamities is McClellan to the core and doesn't work. He already reminds me of Reverend Wright's undoing at the National Press Club—and he will get worse.

Six, Biden is being Biden. Already, he's ridiculed the chief justice, trashed the former VP, bragged on himself ad nauseam in Bidenesque weird ways, and it's only been two weeks.

And the result of all this?

At home, Obama is becoming laughable and laying the groundwork for the greatest conservative populist reaction since the Reagan Revolution.

Abroad, some really creepy people are lining up to test Obama's world view of "Bush did it/but I am the world": The North Koreans are readying their missiles; the Iranians are calling us passive, bragging on nukes and satellites; Russia is declaring missile defense is over and the Euros in real need of iffy Russian gas; Pakistanis say no more drone attacks (and then our friends the Indians say "shut up" about Kashmir and the Euros order no more "buy American").

This is quite serious. I can't recall a similarly disastrous start in a half-century (far worse than Bill Clinton's initial slips). Obama immediately must lower the hope-and-change rhetoric, ignore Reid/Pelosi, drop the therapy, and accept the tragic view that the world abroad is not misunderstood but quite dangerous. And he must listen on foreign policy to his National Security Advisor, Billary, and the Secretary of Defense. If he doesn't quit the messianic style and perpetual campaign mode, and begin humbly governing, then he will devolve into Carterism—angry that the once-fawning press betrayed him while we the people, due to our American malaise, are to blame.


02/04 07:15 AM
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12253
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:06 am

The WSJ on the stimulus bill...

Stimulus Brings Out City Wish Lists: Neon for Vegas, Harleys for Shreveport

Most Ask for Roads, Sewers, but Some Want the Kitchen Sink -- and a Frisbee Golf Course

By JENNIFER LEVITZ and PHILIP SHISHKIN
Las Vegas, which by some accounts already glitters, wants $2 million for neon signs.

Boynton Beach, Fla., is looking for $4.5 million for an "eco park" featuring butterfly gardens and gopher tortoises.

And Chula Vista, Calif., would like $500,000 to create a place for dogs to run off the leash.

These are among 18,750 projects listed in "Ready to Go," the U.S. Conference of Mayors' wish list for funding from the stimulus bill moving through Congress. The group asked cities and towns to suggest "shovel ready" projects for the report, which it gave to Congress and the Obama administration.

Although the bulk of proposals are roads, sewers and similar projects, some wouldn't require a shovel at all. The mayors group sees a potential 1.6 million new jobs from the projects, though a few of them wouldn't create any.

Some localities are using a kitchen-sink strategy. "Our approach has been to list everything, because we don't know what the final guidelines will be or what the final dollar amount will be," says Greg MacLean, public-works director in Lincoln, Neb.

Among entries on Lincoln's list is a $3 million environmentally friendly clubhouse for a municipal golf course. "From a public-perception standpoint, I see how it could be an issue," Mr. MacLean says. But, he says, construction would create 54 jobs.

The debate about what is appropriate stimulative spending, now raging in Washington, echoes differences over the Works Progress Administration during the Depression. It built 651,000 miles of roads and 24,300 miles of sewer lines, but was sometimes lambasted because it also paid for murals and battlefield monuments. "That's when the word 'boondoggle' first came into use" in its modern sense, says William Creech, of the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration.

The mayors' $149 billion project list is just one of many circulating in Washington and state capitals. Massachusetts -- which, like other states, will have a say in distributing the money -- has 4,000 project submissions from 51 towns competing for stimulus money. The San Diego Association of Governments came up with 1,043 possible projects in its region.

With their needs acute, some localities are abandoning boosterism, promoting their community as being more run-down than the next town. In central Maine, Pittsfield Mayor Tim Nichols says the roof on a town-owned theater is rickety, potholes are a "pain in the hiney," and underground pipes are so decrepit "you got sewers backing up in cellars and in lawns." Pittsfield would like about $6 million from Washington.

In Randolph, Vt., Town Manager Gary Champy says federal money to fix "old and pockmarked" roads in his town would lift the mood of residents, because "they'd feel like the government was working for them." He adds: "This money isn't going to banks."

Shreveport, La., has $2.3 billion in projects ready to go. Mayor Cedric Glover's priority is repairing roads, but he's also asking $6 million for three aquatic centers with water slides, which he says would improve quality of life and create construction jobs.

And he would like the U.S. to buy Shreveport eight new Harley-Davidson motorcycles for its cops. This item would produce little local hiring, he acknowledges, but "Harley-Davidson is a great American company. Orders coming from municipalities like ours to a company like that certainly would be stimulative."

The Conference of Mayors report has about a dozen golf-course-related projects. A lot of cities want to use funds to upgrade parks, such as Chula Vista, with its plans for a dog park that would include shading and fountains. San Bernadino, Calif., wants $1.1 million for park improvements, including a skateboard ramp and two "splash-park installations." City officials in the communities say these aren't their top priorities, but defend the projects as worthwhile.

Austin, Texas, could use $886,000 to build a 36-hole "disc golf" course, for frisbee tossing. It would be "environmentally and financially sustainable." John Hrncir, government-relations officer, says the project list "was put together on very short notice," and "we are not going to submit anything that is questionable when we seek actual funding."

Heather Boushey, a senior economist with Center for American Progress, a liberal think tank in Washington, D.C., says parks and golf courses shouldn't be deemed frivolous if they create jobs and are seen as long-term investments by their cities. She says the flood of proposals underscores a need for transparency in stimulus spending, which officials have promised.

The stimulus bill the House approved last week provides an array of tax cuts and a heavy dose of spending for new roads and bridges, public safety, expanded jobless benefits, food aid, wider broadband service and renovations for schools and public housing. Congress has said funds will be distributed to local governments through existing federal programs, either directly or through the states. Though the House approved an $819 billion bill, the final cost will depend on the Senate's vote and on compromises the House and Senate make.

The House bill envisions a board and inspectors general to review the overall spending. It says governors, mayors or others who make funding decisions will have to post details of each project, such as its purpose and cost, on a special Web site, and certify that it's a good use of taxpayer money.

Las Vegas, in seeking stimulus money for neon, says there's a shortage of glitz off its beaten path. "When people think of Las Vegas, they think of the Strip, of Caesar's Palace," says city spokesman Jace Radke, but he says this project would help revitalize a blighted neighborhood.

As for the eco-park envisioned by Boynton Beach, its parks superintendent, Jody Rivers, says the $4.5 million project would generate jobs, teach residents about environmentally friendly living and highlight nature, such as the "unique gopher tortoises on the site."

Dave Hansen, deputy city manager in Virginia Beach, Va., says localities are seeking funding for "some stuff that's just a Santa Claus wish list." He compiled $1 billion worth of local projects for inclusion in the mayors' report. He calls that a "Holy Grail" list that town officials have now ranked by priority.

A former colonel in the Army Corps of Engineers, Mr. Hansen says the town's top priorities are replacing a 50-year-old bridge ($90 million) and building a pumping station to alleviate flooding ($20 million). Lower on Virginia Beach's list are items like "urban tree canopy protection" for the city ($3.75 million).

Also, $1.8 million to build municipal tennis courts. "Is it a bona fide need? Absolutely," Mr. Hansen says. "Do you want to compare it to replacing a 52-year-old school? Well, probably not."

Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12253
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:48 am

Things aren't looking good in the House...

Democratic Rep. Jim Cooper (Tenn.) vented to Air America about the way Speaker Nancy Pelosi was treating members who wanted to do things like read the bills being voted on.

It wasn't pretty.

Cooper, one of the 11 Democrats to vote against the House version of the stimulus bill, said he landed in hot water with Pelosi because he cared what was in the bill.

"I got in terrible trouble with our leadership because they don’t care what’s in the bill, they just want it pass and they want it to be unanimous," he said. "They don’t mind the partisan fighting cause that’s what they are used to. In fact, they’re really good at it. And they’re a little bit worried about what a post-partisan future might look like. If members actually had to read the bills and figure out whether they are any good or not. We’re just told how to vote. We’re treated like mushrooms most of the time."

The interview is compelling. The good folks at Eyeblast.tv snipped it and posted it. Here it is below.



http://townhall.com/blog/g/0942a241-8c6f-4736-9567-5e21487c75d2
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12253
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:55 am

From Erick Erickson over at RedState comes this short and sweet on the way Democrats in Washington have been making decisions. No wonder they’ve driven the approval rating into single digits!

Well, everyone has been saying she’s gotten on her high horse. In Washington, people have been referring to her as President Pelosi.

Obama seemingly has decided to smack her down.

But he probably did not expect Congressman Jim Cooper (D-TN) to admit it on the radio.

Well, I probably shouldn’t tell you this, but I actually got some quiet encouragement from the Obama folks for what I’m doing,” said Cooper, one of about 55 House Democrats to sign a letter criticizing Speaker Nancy Pelosi for suspending normal debate and committee rules on the $819 billion package.






Seems Nancy just wants to ram his bill down our throats as a Dem payback to supporters. Some of the Blue Dog Dems are fighting her on it. Dems eating their own. I love it!
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12253
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby conversationpc » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:15 am

Fact Finder wrote:
From Erick Erickson over at RedState comes this short and sweet on the way Democrats in Washington have been making decisions. No wonder they’ve driven the approval rating into single digits!

Well, everyone has been saying she’s gotten on her high horse. In Washington, people have been referring to her as President Pelosi.

Obama seemingly has decided to smack her down.

But he probably did not expect Congressman Jim Cooper (D-TN) to admit it on the radio.

Well, I probably shouldn’t tell you this, but I actually got some quiet encouragement from the Obama folks for what I’m doing,” said Cooper, one of about 55 House Democrats to sign a letter criticizing Speaker Nancy Pelosi for suspending normal debate and committee rules on the $819 billion package.






Seems Nancy just wants to ram his bill down our throats as a Dem payback to supporters. Some of the Blue Dog Dems are fighting her on it. Dems eating their own. I love it!


Not only that but it seems the bill has now ballooned to over $900 billion in the Senate. :roll:
My blog = Dave's Dominion

Image
User avatar
conversationpc
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 17812
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:53 am
Location: Slightly south of sanity...

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:29 am

I appreciate your fight FF, but you are truly trying to make this really bigger than it is. All these early 1st quarter ffumbles are nothing but blips on the radar. But I gotta hand it to you, you are a fighter.

As for Pelosi, she is terrible. I wish she would get the fuck out of the House.

I like Obama is handling this. He is running to the middle and not making the far left feel like they can have his ass for smorgasbord rape hour. Obama is smarter than all the far lefties, that's why he is in the White House. Presidents get two things done while governing in the middle:

1) They get things passed and signed and enacted.

2) They get re elected.

PS- as bad as some of the lefties are, the republicans are still slime, bottom feeding carps.
User avatar
Rockindeano
Forever Deano
 
Posts: 25864
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:52 am
Location: At Peace

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:52 am

Rockindeano wrote:I appreciate your fight FF, but you are truly trying to make this really bigger than it is. All these early 1st quarter ffumbles are nothing but blips on the radar. But I gotta hand it to you, you are a fighter.

As for Pelosi, she is terrible. I wish she would get the fuck out of the House.

I like Obama is handling this. He is running to the middle and not making the far left feel like they can have his ass for smorgasbord rape hour. Obama is smarter than all the far lefties, that's why he is in the White House. Presidents get two things done while governing in the middle:

1) They get things passed and signed and enacted.

2) They get re elected.

PS- as bad as some of the lefties are, the republicans are still slime, bottom feeding carps.



I won't have much fighting to do Deano, your guys will do it for me and I'll just point out the hypocracy....Like this..





$500K spent on Dem caucus retreats

By Susan Crabtree

Posted: 02/03/09 07:10 PM [ET]

The House Democratic Caucus spent more than $500,000 in taxpayer money over the past five years for its annual retreats at resorts in Pennsylvania and Virginia.


On Thursday, Democrats will head to the Kingsmill Resort and Spa in historic Williamsburg, Va., for the three-day planning powwow. The resort boasts multiple championship golf courses, a full-service spa and six restaurants.

Individual lawmakers pay for most of the expenses related to retreat lodging through their campaign committees, but the Democratic Caucus subsidizes some of the costs for what aides consider “official business” — to the tune of nearly $100,000 each year, according to a Democratic aide involved in retreat planning.


For instance, the caucus picks up the hefty transportation tab, as well as the thousands of dollars in expenses each year for guest speakers, food and entertainment, according to financial disbursement records.


Democratic leadership sources were reluctant to talk about any aspect of the trip, but they defended it as an important planning session for the entire country.


“This retreat is strategic planning for the country,” said Democratic Caucus spokeswoman Emily Barocas. “The president, vice president and three Cabinet secretaries will be meeting with the caucus to plan the direction we are taking the country in.”


The topic is particularly sensitive this year after several Democratic lawmakers slammed American International Group (AIG) executives for spending more than $440,000 at a company retreat in Monarch Beach, Calif., just days after the federal government bailed the company out with $85 billion in taxpayer funds.


Several Democratic lawmakers also excoriated banking and financial companies for flying in corporate jets to Washington to testify before several committees about their need for billions more in bailout money.


Williamsburg hardly compares to a balmy beach destination, but in the past five years, some of the retreat expenses jump off the page.


In 2004, for instance, the caucus paid more than $27,000 to Executive Jet Management for a chartered flight for Bill Clinton, who addressed the issues conference. A Democratic aide said costs soared for Clinton’s travel because there was a “horrible blizzard” that caused his plane to become stuck two days longer than expected and the caucus had to spend extra money for de-icing and storing the plane.


In 2005, the caucus cut a $1,100 check to retired Gen. Wesley Clark’s consulting firm for a speaking fee. Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright’s firm received $864 in 2003 for her retreat address.


Besides Obama, Biden and three other Cabinet secretaries, Democrats this year are hosting Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, who will talk about stimulating the economy through technology and innovation.


In the past, the caucus has also paid for food and after-hours entertainment. In 2003, for example, the Caucus spent $11,200 on food and $6,900 on entertainment. Costs for renting conference rooms at the resorts also make up a large chunk of the total. In 2004, the caucus spent at least $15,000 on space rental.


Democrats spend the most money, however, on transportation.


Since 2005, the caucus has chartered an Amtrak train to ferry members to the Kingsmill resort. It costs roughly $70,000 each year for the Amtrak charter. Democratic aides argue it’s necessary so that members can spend time together and not end up taking separate cars and arriving at staggered times. Traveling by train also helps ensure the safety of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who is second in the line of succession to the presidency and requires constant security detail. In this case, the source said, security helicopters fly above the train.


In 2003 and 2004, the caucus used chartered flights and rented cars and buses to transport members to the Nemacolin resort in Woodlands, Pa. The chartered flight cost more than $10,000 and the buses were $6,500, but the hassles weren’t worth it: One year, a Democratic aide recalls, the buses broke down and closed down an entire highway.


Democrats and Republicans have criticized each other for the way each party pays for its annual retreat. Republicans huddled at the Homestead Resort in Hot Springs, Va., last week. The Congressional Institute, a nonprofit that pays for activities at least in part through dues from lobbyists, subsidizes the GOP retreat. Republicans also allow members of the institute’s private sector advisory board, many of whom are lobbyists, to travel to the resort each year for a dinner with the members.


Democrats don’t allow lobbyists at the retreat, but Republicans criticize the use of taxpayer dollars for expenses for retreats at resorts, especially during the economic downturn.


Meredith McGehee, policy director at the Campaign Legal Center, said she believes it’s useful for members to gather in a setting away from Capitol Hill once a year. Still, she said, when the economy is suffering and people are losing their jobs, members must be mindful to scale back and not use taxpayer dollars for luxury items.


“I actually think there is utility in meeting together once a year to concentrate on getting everyone to row their oars in the same direction,” she said. “But how much money is spent this year and the scope of it and how many frills there are is important. It sends a message on how seriously members are taking the economic problems when people are being laid off left and right. Unlike Michael Phelps, [lawmakers] are indeed role models.”


Common Cause’s Sarah Dufendach said she would rather have taxpayer money than special-interest money funding retreats. But she said this year, both Republicans and Democrats would have been better served by having their retreat locally at a place such as the Library of Congress.


“It would have been really good PR for both sides to stay home and bring a box lunch,” she said.




Keep harping on Wells Fargo and the like, while doing the same things right behind your back. They could at least kiss ya first Deano. :lol:
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12253
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:55 am


Obama campaign manager getting 7-figure book deal

Feb 4 12:01 AM US/Eastern
By HILLEL ITALIE
AP National Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - Obama campaign manager David Plouffe has agreed to a seven-figure deal to write a book about last year's presidential election
.
"The Audacity to Win: The Inside Story and Lessons of Barack Obama's Historic Victory" will be published by Viking next fall.

According to a statement issued Wednesday by Viking, the book will offer a unique, high-level account, including "the deliberations about whether to run against long odds, the epic primary battle with Hillary Clinton, the drama of the general election campaign against John McCain and the strategic roads taken—and not taken ... The book will also detail the business lessons to be learned from the formation and the functioning of an unprecedented $1 billion start-up—use of technology, crisis management, grass roots, and personnel management."


Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12253
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:27 am

All you do is post right winged publication articles. How convincing. :roll:


And the book deal? So what? it's history. I see no problem with that. People want to know the intracacies of the campaign that changed the country and the world.
User avatar
Rockindeano
Forever Deano
 
Posts: 25864
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:52 am
Location: At Peace

Postby RobbieG » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:34 am

Rockindeano wrote:I appreciate your fight FF, but you are truly trying to make this really bigger than it is. All these early 1st quarter ffumbles are nothing but blips on the radar. But I gotta hand it to you, you are a fighter.

As for Pelosi, she is terrible. I wish she would get the fuck out of the House.

I like Obama is handling this. He is running to the middle and not making the far left feel like they can have his ass for smorgasbord rape hour. Obama is smarter than all the far lefties, that's why he is in the White House. Presidents get two things done while governing in the middle:

1) They get things passed and signed and enacted.

2) They get re elected.

PS- as bad as some of the lefties are, the republicans are still slime, bottom feeding carps.



Both are bad and you know that. :lol:
User avatar
RobbieG
LP
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:04 am

Postby RobbieG » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:37 am

Rockindeano wrote:All you do is post right winged publication articles. How convincing. :roll:


And the book deal? So what? it's history. I see no problem with that. People want to know the intracacies of the campaign that changed the country and the world.



CNN poll this morning shows the American people do not want this stimulus package 43% not in favor compared to last week when it was the reverse. Seems the people are looking at the whole package and noticing the pork.
User avatar
RobbieG
LP
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:04 am

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:49 am

Rockindeano wrote:All you do is post right winged publication articles. How convincing. :roll:


And the book deal? So what? it's history. I see no problem with that. People want to know the intracacies of the campaign that changed the country and the world.


Dude, Maureen Dowd/NYT and the AP are hardly right wing, and the WSJ is borderline. These are all legit news outlets, or so you all said when they attacked W.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12253
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:54 am

Any smokers on here?

Today Congress passed and Obama is going to sign the new SCHIP bill. Childrens Health Insurance.

Cigarettes will be going up .62 cents a pack, soon. That's change I can believe in. Lots of poor and minorities smoke, so they will be hit hardest.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12253
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby Gin and Tonic Sky » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:58 am

Fact Finder wrote:Any smokers on here?

Today Congress passed and Obama is going to sign the new SCHIP bill. Childrens Health Insurance.

Cigarettes will be going up .62 cents a pack, soon. That's change I can believe in. Lots of poor and minorities smoke, so they will be hit hardest.



Of course Obama smokes a few when Michelles not looking. (fucking stupid given the fact he goes to the gym but thats beside the point) Wonder if he pays for em....
Matt
User avatar
Gin and Tonic Sky
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1926
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:46 am
Location: in a purple and gold haze

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:58 am

Fact Finder wrote:Cigarettes will be going up .62 cents a pack, soon.


States need that tax revenue.
While we're at it, how about taxing and regulating pot and whores, too.
I think right-of-center libertarians like Stu would be on board with that, as well.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 12492
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:58 am

Check this shit out..

The reauthorization of the State Children's Health Insurance Program includes massive tax increases on cigarettes, cigars and other tobacco products. Similar bills were vetoed twice by President George W. Bush in part because of the tax increases. Democrats in the House and Senate have voted overwhelmingly for the tax increases each time the bill was proposed and were joined by a handful of Republicans.

The bill Obama will sign today raises the federal tax on a pack of cigarettes by 62 cents (or $6.20 per carton) bringing the federal tax to $1.01 per pack.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) was quoted by the AP as saying of the bill signing, ""It's going to be a happy day for America."

A Heritage Foundation analysis of the bill reported that even with the massive tax increases, 22 million new smokers will be needed to pay for the expansion of SCHIP.

Obama is scheduled to hold a public signing ceremony at 4:30 P.M. today.





We fucking need 22 million new smokers to pay for this....you can't make this shit up! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12253
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby conversationpc » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:01 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Fact Finder wrote:Cigarettes will be going up .62 cents a pack, soon.


States need that tax revenue.
While we're at it, how about taxing and regulating pot and whores, too.
I think right-of-center libertarians like Stu would be on board with that, as well.


I say legalize it and tax the hell out of it.
My blog = Dave's Dominion

Image
User avatar
conversationpc
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 17812
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:53 am
Location: Slightly south of sanity...

Postby bluejeangirl76 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:04 am

The bill Obama will sign today raises the federal tax on a pack of cigarettes by 62 cents (or $6.20 per carton) bringing the federal tax to $1.01 per pack.


I know a smoker who is going to slap the shit out of me just for voting for Obama once they read that. :lol:
User avatar
bluejeangirl76
MP3
 
Posts: 13336
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:36 am

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:04 am

Whatever... another $6.20 down the drain every so often. I almost feel like anymore I'm still buying them just to spite the man.
Quick everybody, we need 22 million of you to join us! :lol:

...Smoker's Rights are becoming the new Gun Rights. Nobody can just leave well enough alone anymore. Everybody's gotta meddle with free will, especially Uncle Sammy.
Rhiannon
MP3
 
Posts: 10866
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 9:09 am

Postby NealIsGod » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:08 am

Mrs. NIGGY is using this:

http://www.smokeanywhere.com/

It's amazing. The least it will do for you is drastically reduce the number of cigarettes you smoke. It delivers nicotine with no cancer causing agents. You inhale it like a cigatette but it's just vapor and nicotine. And there are different flavors.
Last edited by NealIsGod on Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
NealIsGod
MP3
 
Posts: 12526
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:20 am
Location: Back in Black

Postby S2M » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:08 am

Here's a solution: QUIT. :lol: :lol:
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
User avatar
S2M
MP3
 
Posts: 11889
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:43 am
Location: In a bevy of whimsy

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:11 am

NealIsGod wrote:Mrs. NIGGY is using this:

http://www.smokeanywhere.com/

It's amazing. The least it will do for you is drastically reduce the number of cigarettes you smoke. It delivers nicotine with no cancer causing agents. You inhale it like a cigatette but it's just vapor and nicotine. And there are different flavors.


I'm intrigued... hmm... thanks for sharing that Nig.
Rhiannon
MP3
 
Posts: 10866
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 9:09 am

PreviousNext

Return to Death By Stereo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests