President Barack Obama - Term 1 and 2 Thread

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Fact Finder » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:06 am

I don't pay money for political discourse from entertainers I like, I pay for entertainment, period. If these so called stars want to go all Dixie Chicks let them ruin their careers for all I care. If pissing off 50% of your potential audience makes them feel good so be it. When Mellenhead went all in on W. Bush he went from the arenas and sheds to 2500 seat theatres and we frankly haven't heard much lately from his big mouth, same for the Chicks. Johnny Cougar forgot where he was born raised and lives. Stars don't put bread on my table, I put bread on theirs, they need to shut up and sing and respect my opinions. Then I might respect theirs. Time and place comes to mind. Oscars, no. Golden Globes, no. Concert stage, no. People mag, fine. Interview on Tv or print, fine.
Mom always told me “ you are what you eat”, so I avoid fruitcake.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 13306
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Memorex » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:31 am

UncleKG wrote:Let's analyze what you're upset at her for saying.

1. People in power shouldn't use their position to belittle others
2. We need a strong, free American press
3. Be empathetic to others
4. She doesn't like football and MMA.

Wow, what an evil witch, huh? :lol: :lol: :lol:


I can sum it up for you. She's dishonest. Much of the media is dishonest. They are dramatic for effect.

Let's say on the scale of 1 to crazy, Drumpf is a 5. Just for argument's sake. She is acting as if he is a ten. The media acts as if he is a ten. It's dishonest. Drumpf has many faults - Lord knows. But when you go to those lengths and you say these massively dishonest things, well, you not only turn off people on the other side, you are turning off people on your side. This is how he won and people didn't seem to get the memo.

People like her, the media, and many others have also tied their feelings toward Drumpf to his supporters. As if somehow the guy in Michigan trying to put food on the table and wants a job is an evil racist bastard because he voted for Drumpf. I'll tell you what, of all the things that occurred, that Basket of Deplorables comment is what sunk Hillary. Well celebrities have taken it ten-fold farther than that.

I cringe at these stupid videos of all these stars, many of whom I like a great deal, begging the American people, the electors, the congress, etc. to stop Drumpf. As if they know better to thwart the will of the people. As if somehow electing Drumpf is going to be the end of all times. It's not. This government has checks and balances. It can only do so much in 4 years before people can decide again. And this time, you won't have the media covering for every single thing. So people ought to calm down, do the best they can, hope for better days (as we always should) and stop demonizing everyone.

That's what reeks about what Streep did. People are sick of being called names. Not the politicians. The people.
User avatar
Memorex
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3212
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:30 pm

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:35 am

Fact Finder wrote:I don't pay money for political discourse from entertainers I like, I pay for entertainment, period. If these so called stars want to go all Dixie Chicks let them ruin their careers for all I care. If pissing off 50% of your potential audience makes them feel good so be it. When Mellenhead went all in on W. Bush he went from the arenas and sheds to 2500 seat theatres and we frankly haven't heard much lately from his big mouth, same for the Chicks. Johnny Cougar forgot where he was born raised and lives. Stars don't put bread on my table, I put bread on theirs, they need to shut up and sing and respect my opinions. Then I might respect theirs. Time and place comes to mind. Oscars, no. Golden Globes, no. Concert stage, no. People mag, fine. Interview on Tv or print, fine.


You pay for the entertainment. As long as they sing the songs, they've fulfilled their end of the deal and they can also use the stage to say whatever they want. The Dixie Chicks played amphitheaters and arenas on their tour this summer. Mellencamp went to theaters because he hates the larger venues and doesn't need to do it for the money any longer. Respecting your opinions doesn't preclude them from sharing theirs. Their stage, their platform. You can vote with your wallet not to support it, of course, but they have every right to say it whenever and wherever they want. "Ain't that America?"
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:40 am

Memorex wrote:
UncleKG wrote:Let's analyze what you're upset at her for saying.

1. People in power shouldn't use their position to belittle others
2. We need a strong, free American press
3. Be empathetic to others
4. She doesn't like football and MMA.

Wow, what an evil witch, huh? :lol: :lol: :lol:


I can sum it up for you. She's dishonest. Much of the media is dishonest. They are dramatic for effect.

Let's say on the scale of 1 to crazy, Drumpf is a 5. Just for argument's sake. She is acting as if he is a ten. The media acts as if he is a ten. It's dishonest. Drumpf has many faults - Lord knows. But when you go to those lengths and you say these massively dishonest things, well, you not only turn off people on the other side, you are turning off people on your side. This is how he won and people didn't seem to get the memo.

People like her, the media, and many others have also tied their feelings toward Drumpf to his supporters. As if somehow the guy in Michigan trying to put food on the table and wants a job is an evil racist bastard because he voted for Drumpf. I'll tell you what, of all the things that occurred, that Basket of Deplorables comment is what sunk Hillary. Well celebrities have taken it ten-fold farther than that.

I cringe at these stupid videos of all these stars, many of whom I like a great deal, begging the American people, the electors, the congress, etc. to stop Drumpf. As if they know better to thwart the will of the people. As if somehow electing Drumpf is going to be the end of all times. It's not. This government has checks and balances. It can only do so much in 4 years before people can decide again. And this time, you won't have the media covering for every single thing. So people ought to calm down, do the best they can, hope for better days (as we always should) and stop demonizing everyone.

That's what reeks about what Streep did. People are sick of being called names. Not the politicians. The people.


What did she say that makes her dishonest?
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Fact Finder » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:07 am

Do you really believe that Mellencamp wouldn't rather have 16,000 in USBank Arena or 18,000 At Riverbend Shed that he is going to the Aranoff with 2,000 seats because he wants to. Do you need a bridge or ocean front property? Was a day Mellencamp would sell out our big Cincy venues just by showing up,he could have done multiple nights here, after his shenanigans during Iraq that all stopped dude, believe it. He pissed off most of the mid-west and it showed, if he was honest he'd admit it, but he won't. I am not paying for politics at at a Mellencamp show, if I want that I will go to a Drumpf rally or watch Fox News. Concerts are for entertainment, a night out, away from the every day world problems for a few hours, he ruined those nights for thousands of his most ardent fans, me included. Saw the dude 9 times and traveled to nearby cities for his shows, Ft. Wayne, Dayton,Oh and Lexington, Ky. I got pulled onstage one night at Riverbend for Johns "R.O.C.K. In the U.S.A" encore and he gave me the mic to sing the ending chorus right in front of my wife and two kids and 18,000 others. What a treat that was in 1994. Once in a lifetime experience. Then he ruined it all. Haven't seen him nor bought another album or concert ticket since and I won't. Even if free I won't patronize a man who thinks, "my opinion means nothing."

And by the way, it's not his stage in my opinion. He didn't pay for it, fans did. Enjoy life Johnny.
Mom always told me “ you are what you eat”, so I avoid fruitcake.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 13306
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:15 am

UncleKG wrote:Let's analyze what you're upset at her for saying.

1. People in power shouldn't use their position to belittle others
2. We need a strong, free American press
3. Be empathetic to others
4. She doesn't like football and MMA.

Wow, what an evil witch, huh? :lol: :lol: :lol:


Nice cherry picking. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:19 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:20 am

Fact Finder wrote:I don't pay money for political discourse from entertainers I like, I pay for entertainment, period. If these so called stars want to go all Dixie Chicks let them ruin their careers for all I care. If pissing off 50% of your potential audience makes them feel good so be it. When Mellenhead went all in on W. Bush he went from the arenas and sheds to 2500 seat theatres and we frankly haven't heard much lately from his big mouth, same for the Chicks. Johnny Cougar forgot where he was born raised and lives. Stars don't put bread on my table, I put bread on theirs, they need to shut up and sing and respect my opinions. Then I might respect theirs. Time and place comes to mind. Oscars, no. Golden Globes, no. Concert stage, no. People mag, fine. Interview on Tv or print, fine.


I've posted on several forums that I'm on dailey that this year I won't spend one penny on movies, going too, or DVD's,ect, music, or anything else until "Hollywood" shuts up and just simply does their job. Surprisingly, it's been a popular move. What I'm mostly going to enjoy is, California right now has a 400 billion dollar debt in their retirement funds. They insist on middle fingering Drumpf and Drumpf has stated that he will cut off Federal Funding. I can't wait to see the tourches and pitchforks going up to the Hollywood Hills after the money dries up.
K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:19 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:22 am

Fact Finder wrote:Do you really believe that Mellencamp wouldn't rather have 16,000 in USBank Arena or 18,000 At Riverbend Shed that he is going to the Aranoff with 2,000 seats because he wants to. Do you need a bridge or ocean front property? Was a day Mellencamp would sell out our big Cincy venues just by showing up,he could have done multiple nights here, after his shenanigans during Iraq that all stopped dude, believe it.


Yeah? http://www.csmonitor.com/1997/0407/040797.feat.music.1.html

http://www.macombdaily.com/article/MD/20150608/ENTERTAINMENT/150609671

Guaranteed that if he chose to, he could easily do the sheds and arenas. Maybe on a package bill like Heart, Journey, or even KISS does these days, but there's no doubt in my mind he could still put at least 8 to 10K in the seats per night if he chose to. Feel free to discuss the Dixie Chicks in regards to this, by the way.

http://www.startribune.com/do-the-dixie-chicks-sold-out-state-fair-concerts-mean-the-end-of-controversy/391304201/

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7534343/dixie-chicks-comeback-tour-winds-down
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:24 am

UncleKG wrote:
Fact Finder wrote:“Dear Hollywood celebrities,

You exist for my entertainment. Some of you are great eye candy. Some of you can deliver a line with such conviction that you bring tears to my eyes. Some of you can scare the crap out of me. Others make me laugh. But you all have one thing in common, you only have a place in my world to entertain me. That’s it.

You make your living pretending to be someone else. Playing dress up like a 6 year old. You live in a make believe world in front of a camera. And often when you are away from one too.
Your entire existence depends on my patronage.

I’ll crank the organ; you dance.

I don’t really care where you stand on issues. Honestly, your stance matters far less to me than that of my neighbor. You see, you aren’t real. I turn off my TV or shut down my computer and you cease to exist in my world. Once I am done with you, I can put you back in your little box until I want you to entertain me again.

I don’t care that you think the BP executives deserve the death penalty. But I bet you looked cute saying it.

And you? Really? I’m supposed to care what the director of fluffy tripe made for gullible people thinks about global warming or gun control? Get back into your bubble. I’ll let you know when I’m in the mood for something blue and shiny.

Make me laugh, or cry. Scare me. But realize that the only words of yours that matter are scripted. I might agree with some of you from time to time, but it doesn’t matter. In my world, you exist solely for my entertainment

So, shut your pie hole and dance!”



--stolen--


Let me paraphrase: Because you are a celebrity, you are less of a person and you are not entitled to an opinion, unlike every other American. That whole "all men are created equal" thing doesn't apply to you because of your chosen profession. Does that about sum it up?


They have freedom of speech. They also are liable for their actions. There is a time and place for everything. Insulting your income is not a smart thing to do. Unlike you, I don't put much stock into what people think that can't even keep a simple family together without it self destructing or turning into a freak show for a buck.
K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:19 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:26 am

UncleKG wrote:
Fact Finder wrote:I don't pay money for political discourse from entertainers I like, I pay for entertainment, period. If these so called stars want to go all Dixie Chicks let them ruin their careers for all I care. If pissing off 50% of your potential audience makes them feel good so be it. When Mellenhead went all in on W. Bush he went from the arenas and sheds to 2500 seat theatres and we frankly haven't heard much lately from his big mouth, same for the Chicks. Johnny Cougar forgot where he was born raised and lives. Stars don't put bread on my table, I put bread on theirs, they need to shut up and sing and respect my opinions. Then I might respect theirs. Time and place comes to mind. Oscars, no. Golden Globes, no. Concert stage, no. People mag, fine. Interview on Tv or print, fine.


You pay for the entertainment. As long as they sing the songs, they've fulfilled their end of the deal and they can also use the stage to say whatever they want. The Dixie Chicks played amphitheaters and arenas on their tour this summer. Mellencamp went to theaters because he hates the larger venues and doesn't need to do it for the money any longer. Respecting your opinions doesn't preclude them from sharing theirs. Their stage, their platform. You can vote with your wallet not to support it, of course, but they have every right to say it whenever and wherever they want. "Ain't that America?"


Hulk hogan uttered the "N" word and destroyed his career. Didn't he have free speech rights?
K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:19 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:28 am

K.C.Journey Fan wrote:I've posted on several forums that I'm on dailey that this year I won't spend one penny on movies, going too, or DVD's,ect, music, or anything else until "Hollywood" shuts up and just simply does their job. Surprisingly, it's been a popular move.


Given the likely political leanings of many of the forums you're on daily, how would one expect to find it's "surprisingly" a popular move? I assume you'll be cutting off the cable/DirecTV/antenna, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, radio, Spotify, Pandora, IHeartRadio app, etc. as well?
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:34 am

K.C.Journey Fan wrote:
Hulk hogan uttered the "N" word and destroyed his career. Didn't he have free speech rights?


Absolutely he has the right to say it, and he did say it. No one jailed him or prevented him from doing so. He just then suffered the repercussions for being caught doing so. Free speech rights doesn't include freedom from repercussions.

Just like that lady that spoke negatively about Michelle Obama on her Facebook page. No one stopped her or jailed her for saying it. She just got fired for doing so, which is her employer's right.

It's not like Streep expects everyone to agree with her opinion, but she's (apparently) willing to deal with the repercussions for sharing it. Those repercussions are happening now, and we'll see what becomes of it and whether or not she ultimately finds it was "worth it" in her mind.
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Memorex » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:36 am

UncleKG wrote:What did she say that makes her dishonest?


I have to run so I can't go through her whole speech at the moment. But let's start with the very first point.

Ryan Gosling, like all of the nicest people, is Canadian, and Dev Patel was born in Kenya, raised in London, and is here playing an Indian raised in Tasmania. So Hollywood is crawling with outsiders and foreigners. And if we kick them all out you’ll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts.


Preceding this she was talking about a bunch of other Hollywood stars from different parts of the country and people born to American parents in foreign countries.

Now tell me, name me one single person in the Drumpf camp, including Drumpf, or the 62 million people that voted for him, that has said one word about kicking out legal immigrants? In fact, I can find you many quotes of him saying "We love our immigrants, don't we folks?".

So this is my point. If she wants to rant, rant on facts. Rant about open borders VS a wall - that's is at least an honest rant.

Not to mention she insulted Football and MMA fans.

Anyway, that was the second paragraph of her speech. I can go through the rest later if my point is not made for you yet.
User avatar
Memorex
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3212
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:30 pm

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:39 am

K.C.Journey Fan wrote:
UncleKG wrote:Let's analyze what you're upset at her for saying.

1. People in power shouldn't use their position to belittle others
2. We need a strong, free American press
3. Be empathetic to others
4. She doesn't like football and MMA.

Wow, what an evil witch, huh? :lol: :lol: :lol:


Nice cherry picking. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:


What else did she say? Enlighten me. Here, I'll even provide a transcript. http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/film-tv/news/a19828/meryl-street-golden-globes-speech-transcript/
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:42 am

Yep, just like this.

http://ijr.com/wildfire/2016/11/739898- ... nt-to-see/

Again, I'm not giving any money to the "Entertainment Industry" this year until they stick to their jobs and keep their private opinions on proper sources like forums, Twitter, Facebookect. Using public Televised Venues for surprise attacks is wrong. And people are getting sick of it. Right Collin K.?
K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:19 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:45 am

K.C.Journey Fan wrote:Yep, just like this.

http://ijr.com/wildfire/2016/11/739898- ... nt-to-see/

Again, I'm not giving any money to the "Entertainment Industry" this year until they stick to their jobs and keep their private opinions on proper sources like forums, Twitter, Facebookect. Using public Televised Venues for surprise attacks is wrong. And people are getting sick of it. Right Collin K.?


You're referring to the hottest ticket on Broadway that's sold out until the fall of this year. The same one that's now also opened in Chicago and is also about to send out a touring company nationwide. It's estimated the show will play on Broadway for at least the next decade.
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:55 am

Memorex wrote:
UncleKG wrote:What did she say that makes her dishonest?


I have to run so I can't go through her whole speech at the moment. But let's start with the very first point.

Ryan Gosling, like all of the nicest people, is Canadian, and Dev Patel was born in Kenya, raised in London, and is here playing an Indian raised in Tasmania. So Hollywood is crawling with outsiders and foreigners. And if we kick them all out you’ll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts.


Preceding this she was talking about a bunch of other Hollywood stars from different parts of the country and people born to American parents in foreign countries.

Now tell me, name me one single person in the Drumpf camp, including Drumpf, or the 62 million people that voted for him, that has said one word about kicking out legal immigrants? In fact, I can find you many quotes of him saying "We love our immigrants, don't we folks?".

So this is my point. If she wants to rant, rant on facts. Rant about open borders VS a wall - that's is at least an honest rant.

Not to mention she insulted Football and MMA fans.

Anyway, that was the second paragraph of her speech. I can go through the rest later if my point is not made for you yet.


I'll give you the point about legal immigrants. I believe she's ranting on the fact that Drumpf's rhetoric has helped to embolden a few white Americans to attack and persecute people of color (and there have been dozens of valid complaints of that, as well as a few where those of color have falsely accused others). I'm pretty sure they're not stopping to ask, "are you legal or illegal?" before doing so. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/man-rips-off-muslim-woman-hijab_us_5736214fe4b060aa781a48b9

Having said that, is it not a fact that violence begets violence, and disrespect begets disrespect? Is it not a fact that a free and strong press is essential to our country (our founding fathers certainly thought so)?

She "insulted" football and MMA fans because she feels it's not an "art?" What football or MMA fan honestly gives a crap? I love college football, but I have a lot of friends who could care less about it. Good for them! Sounds like some football and MMA fans are as thin-skinned as our soon-to-be president apparently is, since he chooses to focus his Twitter posts mostly on any perceived slight (or "Celebrity Apprentice" TV ratings) instead of using it to tell us his plans to improve the country.
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Fact Finder » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:20 am

Your first Mellencamp article was from 5 or 6 years before his Iraq stance, and your second is full of his bullshit about not wanting to play bigger arenas because he isn't 25 anymore, I call bull shit on John. As for the Chicks, they played to tons of empty seats on this last tour..

Tinley Park holds 28,059, tickets sold 21,516 = 6,543 empty seat
Holmdel holds 15,883, tickets sold 8,210 = 7,673 empty seats
Burgettstown holds 21,731, tickets sold 11,262 = 10,469 empty seats
Saratoga Springs holds 24,599, tickets sold 15,943 = 8,656 empty seats
NYC Madison Sq, Garden holds 14,521, tickets sold 10,366 = 4,155 empty seats
Mansfield holds 19,422, tickets sold 10,503 = 8,919 empty seats
Hartford holds 23,089, tickets sold 10,291 = 12,798 empty seats = over half empty
Camden holds 23,429, tickets sold = 9,573 = 13,856 empty seats = over half empty

I could go on, but yes some markets they did good, even had a few sell outs, but over all, and without going through 60 or so shows I see a lot of empty seats..probably averaged between 60% to 75% of tickets sold in most markets.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DCX_MMXVI_World_Tour
Mom always told me “ you are what you eat”, so I avoid fruitcake.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 13306
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:45 am

UncleKG wrote:
And which of the things listed do you think are positives for America? The not tracking costs for repealing the ACA? Asking taxpayers to pay for the wall instead of Mexico (a key campaign message)? Confirmation hearings for nominees who have yet to complete their Ethics reviews?


Several of them. But of course true to form they are presented with a liberal slant. As far as the ACA goes, we know enough now that it was a scam on the American public. The "you can keep your doctor", "you can keep your plan", "ACA will save family households $2500 a year in healthcare premiums" are just a few examples. You know it's funny when people balked at Obama's spending that increased the national debt the response was "well it's going to take money to fix our nation's problems". So if that is good enough for one party then it should be good enough for the other, right? With regards to the wall on our southern border, Drumpf hasn't changed the plan. In interviews prior to the election Drumpf stated that most likely Mexico paying for the wall would not be done upfront. That there could be several ways in which we get them to do that. Which could include using the trade deficit we have with Mexico as leverage. Again this is just smoke and mirrors talking points from the left to make it appear that Drumpf has changed his position on things. The reality is that liberals are not going to like anything that comes out of the Drumpf administration. They have made that clear. But sorry to say, the teeth of the liberals, progressives and the establishment in general were pulled out in this last election. At least when comes to power in Washington. Get used to it. The other side has dealt with the same for the last eight years.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 7091
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:53 am

UncleKG wrote:Let's analyze what you're upset at her for saying.

1. People in power shouldn't use their position to belittle others
2. We need a strong, free American press
3. Be empathetic to others
4. She doesn't like football and MMA.

Wow, what an evil witch, huh? :lol: :lol: :lol:


The main point is this was an awards show to honor actors\actresses and for the recipients to graciously accept their awards and spend a moment or two making remarks related to the award. It was not a political event for people to express their political views. It just shows how much these people lack class and tact. Maybe she chose to do it then because the media wouldn't have given her the attention on the matter at any other time.
Last edited by Boomchild on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 7091
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby JBlake » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:56 am

Fact Finder wrote:I don't pay money for political discourse from entertainers I like, I pay for entertainment, period. If these so called stars want to go all Dixie Chicks let them ruin their careers for all I care. If pissing off 50% of your potential audience makes them feel good so be it. When Mellenhead went all in on W. Bush he went from the arenas and sheds to 2500 seat theatres and we frankly haven't heard much lately from his big mouth, same for the Chicks. Johnny Cougar forgot where he was born raised and lives. Stars don't put bread on my table, I put bread on theirs, they need to shut up and sing and respect my opinions. Then I might respect theirs. Time and place comes to mind. Oscars, no. Golden Globes, no. Concert stage, no. People mag, fine. Interview on Tv or print, fine.


Yeah, and not only that, but Streep also gave a standing ovation to Roman Polanski, the guy who raped a 13 year old girl decades ago and then fled the US from prosecution.
God better be wearing his titanium cup when I arrive to be judged, cause the very first thing I'm going to do is break my foot off in his balls. Liberals and Dems are proof that Satan has, to some extent, a sense of humor.
JBlake
8 Track
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:04 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:59 am

"Absolutely he has the right to say it, and he did say it. No one jailed him or prevented him from doing so. He just then suffered the repercussions for being caught doing so. Free speech rights doesn't include freedom from repercussions. "

Yet you whine at us for excersising ours. By the way, he was fired the next day by WWE after signing a ten year contract. THEY didn't want to suffer for HIS words.
K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:19 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Fact Finder » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:05 am

UncleKG does not the realize this reality about free speech..

"Yes, you have the right to free speech, however, you have no right to be heard or listened to".

Ponder that Uncle. :wink:
Mom always told me “ you are what you eat”, so I avoid fruitcake.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 13306
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby verslibre » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:35 am

Who the fuck wants to pay to see John Mellencamp? The same people who still think Journey's the greatest band ever? :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6052
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby Memorex » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:26 pm

UncleKG wrote:I'll give you the point about legal immigrants. I believe she's ranting on the fact that Drumpf's rhetoric has helped to embolden a few white Americans to attack and persecute people of color (and there have been dozens of valid complaints of that, as well as a few where those of color have falsely accused others). I'm pretty sure they're not stopping to ask, "are you legal or illegal?" before doing so. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/man-rips-off-muslim-woman-hijab_us_5736214fe4b060aa781a48b9


Confirmed Hate Hoaxes

the Texas family whose car and motorcycle were burned, and whose garage was spray-painted with "n----r lover", only to have the wife later reveal that her husband had hoaxed the community by doing it himself: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/20 ... fe-saysthe black, "white supremacist" arrested for the infamous burned-down black church which had "Vote Drumpf" written on it: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/fire ... n-44341228

South Philly graffiti -- "Black Bitch", "Drumpf Rules" -- arrest made, turns out to be black "white supremacist": http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/real ... ?mobi=true

young lady who was arrested for fabricating a story about an attack by racists on a NYC subway while yelling "Donald Drumpf": http://ijr.com/2016/12/757186-muslim-te ... unishment/

the young lady from Ann Arbor who fabricated a terrifying tale of a Drumpf supporter threatening that he'd burn the hijab off of her if she didn't take it off: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/ann- ... -not-occur

the University of Louisiana at Lafayette student who now admits she fabricated her claim that men wearing Drumpf hats attacked her, knocked her down, and stole her headscarf: http://klfy.com/2016/11/10/lafayette-pd ... len-hijab/

the brown "white supremacist" arrested for writing KKK and swastikas at Nassau community college: http://patch.com/new-york/gardencity/ma ... ted-police

the Bowling Green student who was arrested after falsely claiming she was attacked and taunted with racial slurs by MAGA-gear wearing Drumpf supporters: http://www.wtol.com/story/33736486/bgsu ... ke-assault

another student at BGSU who fabricated a story about a robbery and derogatory slur : http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-Fire/ ... e-too.html
a black man in Malden (Boston area) who claimed he was forced to run for his life after being threatened with lynching, chased, and told that "It's Drumpf country now", but then admitted he fabricated the story: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_ ... _in_malden

the man who hung a nazi flag in SF (incidentally, across the street from his neighbors whose family members were Holocaust victims), only to later explain he was making an anti-Trump political statement: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/San- ... 605083.php

the "courageous" throat-punching, racist-stomping woman who claimed to have bashed the fash only to be inexplicably handcuffed for her trouble, but who police say fabricated the incident: http://www.mndaily.com/article/2016/11/ ... ty-student

Williams College students who admitted they wrote KKK graffiti and dumped fake blood in a church to "bring attention to the effects of the presidential election": http://williamsrecord.com/2016/11/16/tw ... -saturday/

bisexual North Park University student whose school says fabricated hateful pro-Trump messages: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/no ... 56366.html

an Elon University hate message that received national attention "Bye bye latinos hasta la vista" but was later revealed to be written by a Latino student who was upset about the results of the election and wrote the message as a "satirical commentary": http://www.elonnewsnetwork.com/article/ ... ye-latinos

these Wellesley college kids, accused of screaming racist and homophobic slurs, but were cleared of charges when it was determined they were only yelling "Make America Great Again": http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/1 ... story.html

the woman who was supposedly threatened at a gas station with a gun by Drumpf supporters, but who never contacted police and has now deleted her accusation: http://www.phillyvoice.com/police-no-of ... s-station/

the Pittsburg, CA black, "white supremacist" whose sign reading "You can hang a n----r from a tree, equal rights he'€™ll never see" went viral, only to be later revealed that he was protesting his mistreatment in probate court.: http://kron4.com/2016/11/13/only-on-kro ... ghborhood/
User avatar
Memorex
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3212
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:30 pm

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby slucero » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:58 pm

Image

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.


~Albert Einstein
User avatar
slucero
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5434
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:17 pm

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:11 am

I believe I said there have been incidents where folks have been falsely accused, did I not?

Then there's this, of course. http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/14/us/fbi-hate-crime-report-muslims/
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:13 am

K.C.Journey Fan wrote:"Absolutely he has the right to say it, and he did say it. No one jailed him or prevented him from doing so. He just then suffered the repercussions for being caught doing so. Free speech rights doesn't include freedom from repercussions. "

Yet you whine at us for excersising ours. By the way, he was fired the next day by WWE after signing a ten year contract. THEY didn't want to suffer for HIS words.


You're whining about Streep exercising hers. I'm pointing out she has a right to share her opinions. So, if I'm "whining," which are you in this discussion: pot or kettle?
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:17 am

Fact Finder wrote:UncleKG does not the realize this reality about free speech..

"Yes, you have the right to free speech, however, you have no right to be heard or listened to".

Ponder that Uncle. :wink:


I completely agree with this. But since you're responding, it appears I'm being "heard." :wink:
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

Re: President Barack Obama - Term 2 Thread

Postby UncleKG » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:28 am

Fact Finder wrote:Your first Mellencamp article was from 5 or 6 years before his Iraq stance, and your second is full of his bullshit about not wanting to play bigger arenas because he isn't 25 anymore, I call bull shit on John. As for the Chicks, they played to tons of empty seats on this last tour..

Tinley Park holds 28,059, tickets sold 21,516 = 6,543 empty seat
Holmdel holds 15,883, tickets sold 8,210 = 7,673 empty seats
Burgettstown holds 21,731, tickets sold 11,262 = 10,469 empty seats
Saratoga Springs holds 24,599, tickets sold 15,943 = 8,656 empty seats
NYC Madison Sq, Garden holds 14,521, tickets sold 10,366 = 4,155 empty seats
Mansfield holds 19,422, tickets sold 10,503 = 8,919 empty seats
Hartford holds 23,089, tickets sold 10,291 = 12,798 empty seats = over half empty
Camden holds 23,429, tickets sold = 9,573 = 13,856 empty seats = over half empty

I could go on, but yes some markets they did good, even had a few sell outs, but over all, and without going through 60 or so shows I see a lot of empty seats..probably averaged between 60% to 75% of tickets sold in most markets.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DCX_MMXVI_World_Tour


Are they or are they not playing arenas and amphitheaters, averaging (based on the stats listed above) around 12,200 per concert? Pretty respectable numbers.

As I said about Mellencamp, to suggest he "has" to play theaters (especially because of what he said) is asinine, especially given how acts of a similar popularity and longevity are still able to play arenas and amphitheaters, albeit maybe as part of a package tour. Whatever he said, it certainly never caused the stink the Dixie Chicks comments did, so I find it very difficult to believe it had the same effect on his career as it did theirs.
User avatar
UncleKG
LP
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am

PreviousNext

Return to Earmuffs For The Blind

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests