I Admit The Sandusky Situation Is A Bad Look.

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:08 am

A chronological look at the case against former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, based on a grand jury report in Pennsylvania state court. Some key dates in Penn State football history are included. Sandusky has been charged with 40 criminal counts, accusing him of serial sex abuse of minors.

---

1969: Jerry Sandusky starts his coaching career at Penn State University as a defensive line coach.

1977: Jerry Sandusky founds The Second Mile. It begins as a group foster home dedicated to helping troubled boys and grows into a charity dedicated to helping children with absent or dysfunctional families.

January 1983: Associated Press voters select Penn State as college football's national champion for the 1982 season.

January 1987: Associated Press voters select Penn State as college football's national champion for the 1986 season.

1994: Boy known as Victim 7 in the report meets Sandusky through The Second Mile program at about the age of 10.

1994-95: Boy known as Victim 6 meets Sandusky at a Second Mile picnic at Spring Creek Park when he is 7 or 8 years old.

1995-96: Boy known as Victim 5, meets Sandusky through The Second Mile when he is 7 or 8, in second or third grade.

1996-97: Boy known as Victim 4, at the age of 12 or 13, meets Sandusky while he is in his second year participating in The Second Mile program.

1996-98: Victim 5 is taken to the locker rooms and showers at Penn State by Sandusky when he is 8 to 10 years old.

Jan. 1, 1998: Victim 4 is listed, along with Sandusky's wife, as a member of Sandusky's family party for the 1998 Outback Bowl.

1998: Victim 6 is taken into the locker rooms and showers when he is 11 years old. When Victim 6 is dropped off at home, his hair is wet from showering with Sandusky. His mother reports the incident to the university police, who investigate.

Detective Ronald Schreffler testifies that he and State College Police Department Detective Ralph Ralston, with the consent of the mother of Victim 6, eavesdrop on two conversations the mother of Victim 6 has with Sandusky. Sandusky says he has showered with other boys and Victim 6's mother tries to make Sandusky promise never to shower with a boy again but he will not. At the end of the second conversation, after Sandusky is told he cannot see Victim 6 anymore, Schreffler testifies Sandusky says, ''I understand. I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won't get it from you. I wish I were dead.''

Jerry Lauro, an investigator with the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, testifies he and Schreffler interviewed Sandusky, and that Sandusky admits showering naked with Victim 6, admits to hugging Victim 6 while in the shower and admits that it was wrong.

The case is closed after then-Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar decides there will be no criminal charge.

June 1999: Sandusky retires from Penn State but still holds emeritus status.

Dec. 28, 1999: Victim 4 is listed, along with Sandusky's wife, as a member of Sandusky's family party for the 1999 Alamo Bowl.

Summer 2000: Boy known as Victim 3 meets Sandusky through The Second Mile when he is between seventh and eighth grade.

Fall 2000: A janitor named James Calhoun observes Sandusky in the showers of the Lasch Football Building with a young boy, known as Victim 8, pinned up against the wall, performing oral sex on the boy. He tells other janitorial staff immediately. Fellow Office of Physical Plant employee Ronald Petrosky cleans the showers at Lasch and sees Sandusky and the boy, who he describes as being between the ages of 11 and 13.

Calhoun tells other physical plant employees what he saw, including Jay Witherite, his immediate supervisor. Witherite tells him to whom he should report the incident. Calhoun was a temporary employee and never makes a report. Victim 8's identity is unknown.

March 1, 2002: A Penn State graduate assistant enters the locker room at the Lasch Football Building. In the showers, he sees a naked boy, known as Victim 2, whose age he estimates to be 10 years old, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky. The graduate assistant tells his father immediately.

March 2, 2002: In the morning, the graduate assistant calls Coach Joe Paterno and goes to Paterno's home, where he reports what he has seen.

March 3, 2002: Paterno calls Tim Curley, Penn State Athletic Director to his home the next day and reports a version of what the grad assistant had said.

March 2002: Later in the month the graduate assistant is called to a meeting with Curley and Senior Vice President for Finance and Business Gary Schultz. The grad assistant reports what he has seen and Curley and Schultz say they will look into it.

March 27, 2002 (approximate): The graduate assistant hears from Curley. He is told that Sandusky's locker room keys are taken away and that the incident has been reported to The Second Mile. The graduate assistant is never questioned by university police and no other entity conducts an investigation until the graduate assistant testifies in Grand Jury in December 2010.

2005-2006: Boy known as Victim 1 says that meets Sandusky through The Second Mile at age 11 or 12.

Spring 2007: During the 2007 track season, Sandusky begins spending time with Victim 1 weekly, having him stay overnight at his residence in College Township, Pa.

Spring 2008: Termination of contact with Victim 1 occurs when he is a freshman in a Clinton County high school. After the boy's mother calls the school to report sexual assault, Sandusky is barred from the school district attended by Victim 1 from that day forward and the matter is reported to authorities as mandated by law.

Early 2009: An investigation by the Pennsylvania attorney general begins when a Clinton County, Pa. teen boy tells authorities that Sandusky has inappropriately touched him several times over a four-year period.

September 2010: Sandusky retires from day-to-day involvement with The Second Mile, saying he wants to spend more time with family and handle personal matters.

Nov. 5, 2011: Sandusky is arrested and released on $100,000 bail after being arraigned on 40 criminal counts.

Nov. 7, 2011: Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly says Paterno is not a target of the investigation into how the school handled the accusations. But she refuses to say the same for university President Graham Spanier. Curley and Schultz, who have stepped down from their positions, surrender on charges that they failed to alert police to complaints against Sandusky.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Michigan Girl » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:37 am

Fact Finder wrote:AP source: #PennSt football coach Joe Paterno has decided to retire at end of the season -rr
10 minutes ago
This was going to be sad to me regardless of when,
but this is like death!!
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby jestor92 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:46 am

Michigan Girl wrote:
Fact Finder wrote:AP source: #PennSt football coach Joe Paterno has decided to retire at end of the season -rr
10 minutes ago
but this is like death!!

He fucking deserves it. He knew he assistant was doing that disgusting shit and yet even though me "mentioned" it to someone he still kept the dirt bag around and he allowed the fucking dude back on campus as late as last week. Fuck JoePa.
jestor92
8 Track

Postby Ehwmatt » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:58 am

Anyone who wants to read more about Ray Gricar, the DA who mysteriously disappeared a while ago and has since been declared legally dead (even though his body has never been found), should check this out: http://jamesrenner.wordpress.com/tag/ray-gricar/

It seems he was investigating Sandusky in the 90s and 00s. This could get REALLY eerie and even more sinister than it already was if this scandal has anything to do with this man's disappearance.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Michigan Girl » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:19 am

jestor92 wrote:
Michigan Girl wrote:
10 minutes ago
but this is like death!!

He fucking deserves it. He knew he assistant was doing that disgusting shit and yet even though me "mentioned" it to someone he still kept the dirt bag around and he allowed the fucking dude back on campus as late as last week. Fuck JoePa.

I'm not convinced of Joepa's guilt in anything, at the moment ...and
just as DA Gricar did not have enough evidence to prosecute
Sandusky in 1998 despite an alleged confession, testimony by two law
enforcement officers and an extensive investigation, because, and I quote ...
"If you're going to target someone, you really work very hard to be sure
you have a case because if you don't, you could end up ruining someone's
reputation and livelihood
"

...you'll pardon me if I give Joepa the same respect Sandusky has received
for the past decade or so.
Last edited by Michigan Girl on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby hoagiepete » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:21 am

Wow. Nothing and no one is ever what they seem. How depressing.

First Tiger had me hoodwinked and now JoePa.

Very sad, disturbing and unbelievable.

I can't believe they didn't turn this guy in. Why didn't the parents go to the authorities? Weird. I'd call the cops immediately!
hoagiepete
Cassette Tape

Postby Ehwmatt » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:23 am

hoagiepete wrote:Wow. Nothing and no one is ever what they seem. How depressing.

First Tiger had me hoodwinked and now JoePa.

Very sad, disturbing and unbelievable.

I can't believe they didn't turn this guy in. Why didn't the parents go to the authorities? Weird. I'd call the cops immediately!

Something tells me we haven't heard 1/100th of what was going on here. Lots of things don't compute in the least. Why did Welfare Services brush off the complaint? What happened in 98 when the mom confronted Sandusky and he admitted things? Why did Gricar disappear? (maybe not related, but who knows at this point). Why did NOONE call authorities?

I know abuse often goes unreported. But something tells me there were more sinister things at work here. And I think these sinister workings might go beyond a few selfish school administrators/personnel trying to keep the gravy train football program rolling.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:40 am

hoagiepete wrote:Why didn't the parents go to the authorities?

Best question I have heard throughout all of this. They're as responsible as Paterno if NOT moreso!
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby LtVanish » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:01 am

Anyone see the book that Sandusky wrote back in 2001? I wish I was making this up. http://www.amazon.com/Touched-Jerry-San ... 1582613575
Wig Wam is the greatest band since bread was sliced.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby LtVanish » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:07 am

Check out this article on the Former Centre County DA Ray Gricar's reasons for not pursuing case against Jerry Sandusky in 1998, he dissapears and is assumed dead now! I wonder if this case will be reopened now. http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... ray_g.html
Wig Wam is the greatest band since bread was sliced.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:19 am

ancedotal from 2008....

Obama considering ex-UNL chancellor for secretary of education, reports say

By Evan Cotten

Published: Thursday, December 11, 2008

As President-elect Barack Obama selects his cabinet, a former Cornhusker has found his way into consideration.

Graham Spanier, chancellor of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln from 1991 to 1995, has been named one of five leading prospects for secretary of education, according to an Atlantic Magazine political blog.

"Right now it's pure speculation," said Lisa Powers, director of public information at Pennsylvania State University, where Spanier has been president since he left UNL. "Obviously it's quite a flattering honor to have (Spanier) mentioned for this position."

-snip-

"His ability to provide leadership to large bureaucratic organizations is very strong," said Griesen, who has worked under four permanent and two interim chancellors at UNL. "He was able to stand up and liberalize (UNL)."

A "liberal in a conservative state," Spanier was once publicly challenged for his stance on gays' rights to participate in ROTC, Griesen said, adding Spanier "served UNL well."

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/news/obam ... -1.1098443

Hate to bring politics into this mess, but Spanier is apparently a big time liberal who championed gay rights, so it doesn't surprise me how this mess might have metastisized.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:24 am

Great point, FF.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:27 am

Oh I see now. What bullshit.

I am a Liberal, and support gay rights, so I must love to rape little boys in my shower when Lula is at work, eh?

This is why I no longer have a need for this fucking place. Carry on.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Don » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:49 am

By finishing out the season instead of resigning immediately, Paterno will secure the record for most Division I games coached in history. I wonder if that factored into his departure date.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:54 am

Rene Portland resigns, lesbian athletes rejoice

By Pat Griffin

Rene Portland, the Penn State women’s basketball coach, turned in her letter of resignation yesterday evening. Advocates for social justice in sport and women’s basketball fans everywhere are celebrating a huge victory in on-going efforts to assure that lesbians and gay men can participate in sport without fear of harassment or discrimination.

First, a little background, Portland coached the Lady Lions for 27 years. For most of that time, rumors and innuendo have swirled around her “no lesbians on my team” policy. She was quoted in a 1986 Chicago Sun-Times article saying of lesbianism, “I will not have it on my team.” In 1991, references to her policy surfaced again in a Philadelphia Inquirer article. Portland was never formally challenged on these alleged policies until 2005 when Jen Harris, a former Lady Lion, filed a lawsuit claiming that Portland harassed and discriminated against her because Portland perceived Harris to be a lesbian.

Penn State conducted an internal investigation in response to the lawsuit finding that Portland had created a “hostile, offensive and intimidating” climate on her team in apparent violation of Penn State’s own non-discrimination policy. Unfortunately, the university merely gave her a small fine and required her to attend diversity training. Last month Penn State and the National Center for Lesbian Rights announced that a confidential settlement had been agreed to. It appeared at that time that Portland would continue to coach the Lady Lions.

Portland’s resignation coming so soon after the settlement announcement and just as the basketball season is winding down is the best news I could imagine to finally end this sad saga. The allegations against Portland would have tainted Penn State women’s basketball as long as she was on the bench. This way Penn State has the opportunity to make a fresh start with a new coach, along with some education about the consequences of tolerating discrimination and harassment in the athletic department.

The fall-out from the lawsuit and Portland’s resignation sends a huge message to other schools about the consequences of ignoring, condoning or perpetrating anti-lesbian and gay discrimination. Penn State has endured two years of bad publicity over the allegations against Portland. Other former athletes and athletic staff have also stepped forward to support Harris’ accusations, making Portland’s denials less and less credible and Penn State’s support for her more of a challenge. The combined effects of this bad publicity and the financial costs of defending itself against Harris’ charges, in addition to the presumed financial settlement to Harris, have sullied the good name of a major university.

I have always hoped that, regardless of the outcome of the lawsuit, other universities would learn from Penn State’s experience that it is no longer tolerable to condone or plead ignorance of discrimination against lesbian and gay people in athletics. Now that Portland has resigned, the message to other coaches is equally powerful: Discriminate at the risk of losing your job.

To lesbian and gay athletes and coaches in the future who are targeted by homophobia, the message is clear: This is a new day in athletics. What once was accepted, is no longer. Finally, for all of the lesbian athletes who have played at Penn State under the reign of Rene Portland, for all those women who have suffered and endured discrimination in silence, for all those women who lost the opportunity to play the sport they love because of a coach’s prejudice, justice might be delayed, but it is served. Woo hoo!

http://www.outsports.com/campus/2007/0322griffin.htm
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby fightingilliniJRNY » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:04 am

Fact Finder wrote:Rene Portland resigns, lesbian athletes rejoice

By Pat Griffin

Rene Portland, the Penn State women’s basketball coach, turned in her letter of resignation yesterday evening.

If yesterday evening was March 22, 2007.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-bas ... 07aaa.html
fightingilliniJRNY
Cassette Tape

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:05 am

FOX news is saying that others, including Spainer, had information about what was going on, that there could be other victims coming forward and other people who knew of the abuse being held accountable.

:shock:
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:06 am

fightingilliniJRNY wrote:
Fact Finder wrote:Rene Portland resigns, lesbian athletes rejoice

By Pat Griffin

Rene Portland, the Penn State women’s basketball coach, turned in her letter of resignation yesterday evening.

If yesterday evening was March 22, 2007.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-bas ... 07aaa.html

Sorry, I didn't date that, my bad...yes it's from 2007.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:11 am

uh-oh....elevator is going to the top.... :shock:

BreakingNews

Penn State president to either resign or be voted out by board, source says - The Express Times via @lehighvalley http://bit.ly/tvzSI7

11 minutes ago
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:26 am

From Wikipedia:

“Spanier graduated from Highland Park High School (Highland Park, Illinois), and earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Iowa State University where he was honored with the Distinguished Achievement Citation by the ISU Alumni Association in 2004.[2] He earned his Ph.D.. in sociology from Northwestern University where he was a Woodrow Wilson Fellow. While a researcher, he contributed to the publication of ten books and over 100 scholarly journal articles. As a family sociologist, demographer, and marriage and family therapist, he was the founding editor of the Journal of Family Issues.[3] Spanier was also an author of a study in the Archives of Sexual Behavior concerning the practice of mate swapping, or “swinging”.[4]”

also, The AG will NOT say that Spanier is NOT a target. She has said that Paterno is not a target.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:26 am

Holy shit! This is becoming fucking Reservoir Dogs :shock: :( :cry:
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:38 am

Red13JoePa wrote:Holy shit! This is becoming fucking Reservoir Dogs :shock: :( :cry:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/g18580h5t244324u/
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby S2M » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:40 am

Red13JoePa wrote:Holy shit! This is becoming fucking Reservoir Dogs :shock: :( :cry:

Although, Sandusky believes in giving a tip....(just a joke people, don't lynch me).
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby Ehwmatt » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:46 am

Two things driving me nuts about this whole thing:

#1. The Convenience of JoePa as a Target: JoePa, like Tressel(and remember I'm not an Ohio State fan at all), is a HUGE media target for 1 million reasons. His actions here have been the focal point of this whole thing. Meanwhile, the monster himself, Sandusky, has been relegated to the role of a mere background character. That's preposterous. And that's to say nothing of the poor victims here.

#2. The Ignorance of the Public Regarding the Criminal Law: All these armchair legal analysts calling into radio stations (and radio hosts themselves) don't know shit. Paterno may have been wrong, and indeed maybe even civilly negligent (although probably not based on his mere reporting it one time to comply with the reporting statute). But he committed no crime. Neither did McQueen. At least not on the facts we have so far. All these people demanding they be "charged" are fucking idiots. You can't commit a crime unless you violate a criminal statute. That apparently didn't happen here, at least not with JoePa and McQueen.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:50 am

Matt I had one asshole on FB (who sadly has a radio show in Philly) scream to CHANGE THE LAWS JUST TO PROSECUTE JOE.

And he was dead serious, these people are out for BLOOD man.
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby conversationpc » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:51 am

Red13JoePa wrote:Matt I had one asshole on FB (who sadly has a radio show in Philly) scream to CHANGE THE LAWS JUST TO PROSECUTE JOE.

And he was dead serious, these people are out for BLOOD man.[/quote]

Asshole is an understatement.
My blog = Dave's Dominion

conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:05 am

Dave it's "Sean Brace" I been brawling with him for days, you can see the posts.
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby RedWingFan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:11 am

Reservoir Dogs wasn't my first thought.

Didn't know there was Pulp Fiction stuff happening on campus. Instead of calling it "Happy Valley", they need to start calling it "Zed's"
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:17 am

I can understand being out for Paternos blood. He apparently was told point blank about the anal rape and he passed it up the chain of command. Then the AD and VP lied to the GJ about it, which is why they were charged but not Joe, most people including the State Patrol (whose quote was posted here earlier), feel that JoePa had a broader sense of civic duty to make sure this scumbag never did these acts again, he failed. End of story. Yes Joe did the absolute minimum as I said yesterday, legally that kept him off the legal hook so to speak, but morally he failed. He failed numerous children who would not have endured an attack had he acted further and followed up on what he knew Sandusky was capable of.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:18 am

Fact Finder wrote:I can understand being out for Paternos blood. He apparently was told point blank about the anal rape

Not according to Joe, though.
Red13JoePa
MP3

PreviousNext

Return to Death By Stereo