OFFICIAL 2013-2014 NFL Thread

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: OFFICIAL 2013-2014 NFL Thread

Postby No Surprize » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:08 am

I wholeheartedly agree John about Andy Dalton. He's in the same group of qb's like Tannehill, Shaub, etc. No consistent play from game to game. They turn a good defensive team into a train wreck from being on the field constantly.
"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNY » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:18 am

Lmao, am I the ONLY one not surprised? Cincy might of been everybody elses lock of the week while SD was my first initial lock for me out any of this weekend games. Im telling you, if a 6th seeded team were to win, Cincy is their best shot. Come on, its only the fucking Bungles. 3 straight playoff seasons and they still dont impress me.
YoungJRNY
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNY » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:26 am

It's okay, dude. I mean, would it of hurt worse if it was the Black and Gold kicking that ass because it should have been :lol: Seriously though, I feel for yah. 8-0 this season at home and only the Bungles can fuck up the wrong times to lose at the most important junctures of the season.
YoungJRNY
Compact Disc

Postby Enigma869 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:26 am

If Marvin Lewis manages to not get fired once again, there needs to be a special investigation to ascertain who the hell he has pictures of. This dude is an ass clown. Only in a place like Cincinnati can a coach as awful as Lewis is manage to keep his job for this long.
John from Boston
Enigma869
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Enigma869 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:30 am

Today's results couldn't have been worse for the Patriots. I LOVED the Patriots over this overrated Bengals team (and yes, I thought they were VERY overrated, long before their pathetic display today). Against the Colts, I'm not so sure. I would take Andrew Luck over Russell Wilson, Kaepernick, Cam Newton, Nick Foles, or any other young QB in the NFL. This kid is the real deal. Superb young player, with the absolute right temperament to play the position. Not to mention, in spite of what Travis believes, I still think San Diego sucks, and will get smoked by Denver!
John from Boston
Enigma869
Digital Audio Tape

Postby YoungJRNY » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:45 am

Not to mention, in spite of what Travis believes, I still think San Diego sucks, and will get smoked by Denver!

In spite of what I believe? You mean picking S.D against the Bengals? :lol: Here was my EXACT response and reply to you after you couldn't believe I could possibly take San Diego this weekend:

A 6th seeded team barely squeaking in the playoffs is a hot upset special that won't last long, but has the huge formula for playing spoiler. I like the Bolts for that reason and I'm sure Rivers is going to be fired up since he's the black sheep of his draft class.

I took S.D not because I think they're all that good, but I took them because a 6th seeded team in the wildcard round is good for early spoils and probably won't make it past that. If the upset were to occur, it would definitely be versus Cincinnati. I like Denver HUGE next week.
YoungJRNY
Compact Disc

Postby Enigma869 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:05 am

Fact Finder wrote:
I think the Bungs believed everyone like John and overlooked SD.

I didn't overlook San Diego, at all. As it turns out, I VASTLY overrated the Bengals. I still think San Diego sucks, and share Travis' sentiment that they'll lose big next week, in Denver. I just really didn't believe the Bengals could come out and gag another one away. It's still shocking to me as a fan of the NFL how teams with loads of talent (Cincinnati, Dallas, and Detroit, just to name a few) continue to find new ways to lose!
John from Boston
Enigma869
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Enigma869 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:45 am

Fact Finder wrote:Any bets on Kapernick putting on sleeves at halftime? :D

The more I watch Kaepernick, the more I don't like the guy. I truly hope that San Francisco doesn't advance. They're a painful team to watch. Their defense is superb, but I don't like anything else about their team. Kaepernick is just another (in long line) of gimmick QB's who want to run first. The dude has OUTSTANDING speed and is very effective when running. That said, I've always hated QB's who look to run the ball first. It simply does NOT work at the NFL level, and never has. Ask Mike Vick how successful that act is. Give me Andrew Luck 100 out of 100 times! San Francisco's defense is playing really well, so they may hang on to win here. If so, next week will be an absolute nightmare for me, as I'll have two gimmick QB's going head to head, with SF versus Carolina.
John from Boston
Enigma869
Digital Audio Tape

Postby YoungJRNY » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:48 am

Jesus that came a shaved pubic hair from being blocked. Way to contain Kap, GB. Hes only shredded you with his legs over and over again :shock:
YoungJRNY
Compact Disc

Postby slucero » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:48 am

Not a fan of this team or the asshole, back stabbing coach.. but I got give em credit for taking the game...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Memorex » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:28 am

slucero wrote:Not a fan of this team or the asshole, back stabbing coach.. but I got give em credit for taking the game...

I really like their coach. Done wonders for team. And they get wins and they advance. NFC Championship 2 years ago. Super Bowl last year. Advancing this year. What else is there? I think he's a solid guy. The players speak highly of him, so....

Anyway - too close for comfort, but we walked away with the win and currently own Green Bay's number. Kap was great on the ground. I'll take his 98 yards rushing any day of the week. He'll get better in the pocket over time, hopefully. And there is no one on earth that can say he's a run first QB this year. I've been very frustrated with the lack of running out of him all season.

As far as Cam, I couldn't agree more. The dude is the real deal and he scares the shit out of me. I root for him on most Sundays - but certainly not next Sunday. It's going to be a tough one.

If this were next year, I'd be pulling for Seattle all the way because I relish the thought of going up their for the win. But this year I'd love to see one more NFC Championship game at the stick. So go SF and go NO!

Cincinnati - you broke my heart. But I like SD, so I'll be ok.

Best thing about all of this, these past several years - is enjoying all this with my 16 year year old son who has been a lifetime fan and didn't know their earlier success. The whole family is into it, but him and I have that father-son thing going on with it and it's wonderful. I actually teared up hugging him after the win tonight - which I never do. Not really about the game, but for the fun we've had the past year.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNY » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:50 am

Wildcard Weekend Pick'em results:

Memorex: 2-2
YoungJRNY: 2-2

----
Jonny B: 1-3
mikemarrs: 1-3

----

Fact Finder: 0-4
John From Boston: 0-4
YoungJRNY
Compact Disc

Postby Memorex » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:57 am

NE, DEN, and SEA seem like easy bets for Sunday to me. I'm going with SF over CAR of course, but it may not be a popular pick. So:

NE
DEN
SEA
SF
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby slucero » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:58 am

Memorex wrote:
slucero wrote:Not a fan of this team or the asshole, back stabbing coach.. but I got give em credit for taking the game...

I really like their coach. Done wonders for team. And they get wins and they advance. NFC Championship 2 years ago. Super Bowl last year. Advancing this year. What else is there? I think he's a solid guy. The players speak highly of him, so....

Anyway - too close for comfort, but we walked away with the win and currently own Green Bay's number. Kap was great on the ground. I'll take his 98 yards rushing any day of the week. He'll get better in the pocket over time, hopefully. And there is no one on earth that can say he's a run first QB this year. I've been very frustrated with the lack of running out of him all season.

As far as Cam, I couldn't agree more. The dude is the real deal and he scares the shit out of me. I root for him on most Sundays - but certainly not next Sunday. It's going to be a tough one.

If this were next year, I'd be pulling for Seattle all the way because I relish the thought of going up their for the win. But this year I'd love to see one more NFC Championship game at the stick. So go SF and go NO!

Cincinnati - you broke my heart. But I like SD, so I'll be ok.

Best thing about all of this, these past several years - is enjoying all this with my 16 year year old son who has been a lifetime fan and didn't know their earlier success. The whole family is into it, but him and I have that father-son thing going on with it and it's wonderful. I actually teared up hugging him after the win tonight - which I never do. Not really about the game, but for the fun we've had the past year.

of course the players speak highly of him... they're winning.. Harbaugh is a fine coach... but a shitty person.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Enigma869 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:11 pm

Bring on Saturday!
LuckvsSkill.jpg
LuckvsSkill.jpg (33.02 KiB) Viewed 6576 times
John from Boston
Enigma869
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Memorex » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:12 pm

slucero wrote:of course the players speak highly of him... they're winning.. Harbaugh is a fine coach... but a shitty person.

I'll admit I'm a team fan and don't really follow a lot of "other" news, but can you tell me why he's a shitty person? Serious question. I do hear people complain about him, but I don't know specifically. I don't follow college ball, so not sure if it stems from there.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Enigma869 wrote:Bring on Saturday!
LuckvsSkill.jpg

Clever.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNY » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:25 pm

LuckvsSkill.jpg

Not going to lie, this is going to be a fucking AWESOME matchup. Actually one of my favorite playoff matchups within' the last few years. Hell, this is way more intriguing, to me, than Den/N.E in the Title game if that's what it will be. Can't wait for this. Two teams that have a will to fight.
YoungJRNY
Compact Disc

Postby Enigma869 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:27 pm

Memorex wrote:
And there is no one on earth that can say he's a run first QB this year. I've been very frustrated with the lack of running out of him all season.

You do realize that he was ranked 4th in the NFL this year in rushing yards for QB's, right? Also, in spite of there being 3 guys ahead of Kaepernick in the rushing department, he was only 60 yards behind the number one position, so your theory simply isn't based on reality! By the way, in terms of rushing attempts, Cam Newton was number one with 111 attempts, Russell Wilson was second with 96, and Kaeperick was only one attempt behind Wilson with 95 rushes! That's more rushes than Dan Marino had in his career :shock: :shock: :shock: To say he doesn't run the ball enough is just flat out ridiculous! The guy runs every opportunity that he has. Listen...good on San Francisco for winning. I applaud them for winning that game in ridiculously cold weather conditions. I just personally hate watching QB's who are always looking to run the football. I always have and always will. It's a gimmick. It's always been a gimmick. It always will be a gimmick. Guys who play like Kaepernick plays simply don't have long-term success in the NFL. That said, I still think I'm leaning toward San Francisco beating Carolina. At least in this game, it will be two QB's who want to run as much as they can and two defenses that are really stout. This game will probably end in a 9-6 score.
John from Boston
Enigma869
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Enigma869 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:35 pm

YoungJRNY wrote:
LuckvsSkill.jpg

Not going to lie, this is going to be a fucking AWESOME matchup. Actually one of my favorite playoff matchups within' the last few years. Hell, this is way more intriguing, to me, than Den/N.E in the Title game if that's what it will be. Can't wait for this. Two teams that have a will to fight.

I actually like Luck a whole lot. There are only a handful of QB's in the NFL I would take over him, and there isn't single guy under the age of 30 who I would take over him. It's so refreshing to see a real NFL QB come into the league. All of this nonsense, college option BS makes me cringe! I fucking HATE IT! Truth be told, I liked the matchup against the Bengals for the Patriots a whole lot more than I do the matchup against Luck and the Colts. The Bengals have just always had a propensity for gagging shit away, and it was almost guaranteed to happen for them on the road in Foxboro. The Colts have the one important element that it takes to be good and dangerous in the NFL...a stud QB! Running backs are irrelevant in the NFL, and if I were an NFL GM, I wouldn't even waste draft picks on RB's. I'd pick up free agent guys and slot them in, as they're all interchangeable! I like the Patriots by a FG in this game. This is probably the least talented Patriots team during the Brady era (especially when factoring in all the guys on IR for the season), so I think they're going to struggle to beat anyone. I see the Patriots advancing and losing to Denver. I just feel like Peyton is getting a ring this season. If he pukes on his cleats again, I will NEVER predict him to win a big game again in his career!
John from Boston
Enigma869
Digital Audio Tape

Postby slucero » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:17 pm

Memorex wrote:
slucero wrote:of course the players speak highly of him... they're winning.. Harbaugh is a fine coach... but a shitty person.

I'll admit I'm a team fan and don't really follow a lot of "other" news, but can you tell me why he's a shitty person? Serious question. I do hear people complain about him, but I don't know specifically. I don't follow college ball, so not sure if it stems from there.

Nope.. it's just my opinion of the man, which I'm entitled to.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNY » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:51 pm

Enigma869 wrote:
YoungJRNY wrote:
LuckvsSkill.jpg

I actually like Luck a whole lot. There are only a handful of QB's in the NFL I would take over him, and there isn't single guy under the age of 30 who I would take over him. It's so refreshing to see a real NFL QB come into the league. All of this nonsense, college option BS makes me cringe! I fucking HATE IT! Truth be told, I liked the matchup against the Bengals for the Patriots a whole lot more than I do the matchup against Luck and the Colts. The Bengals have just always had a propensity for gagging shit away, and it was almost guaranteed to happen for them on the road in Foxboro. The Colts have the one important element that it takes to be good and dangerous in the NFL...a stud QB! Running backs are irrelevant in the NFL, and if I were an NFL GM, I wouldn't even waste draft picks on RB's. I'd pick up free agent guys and slot them in, as they're all interchangeable! I like the Patriots by a FG in this game. This is probably the least talented Patriots team during the Brady era (especially when factoring in all the guys on IR for the season), so I think they're going to struggle to beat anyone. I see the Patriots advancing and losing to Denver. I just feel like Peyton is getting a ring this season. If he pukes on his cleats again, I will NEVER predict him to win a big game again in his career!

I know one thing, Luck and the Colts won't get away with what they got away with VS Kansas City as they would New England so they better be careful. I didn't get to watch the game Saturday but watching the highlights, I was shocked to see Andrew Luck turn the ball over time and time again, throwing 3 picks, which could of been demoralizing to a team and will be demoralizing against a team like New England who won't make the mistakes K.C did, especially Andy Reid's habit of choking. Luck is everything you said he is, but he still threw 3 INT's and was outplayed by Alex Smith in the turnover department. Brady and Bellichick would of made sure to score 50+ on Indy if they were in K.C's situation. Hard to go against Brady, but out of every team in the AFC, I think N.E can handle anybody, including Denver if it comes to it, but I think Indy will give them the most problems in every matchup around the field. Going to be a GOOD one.
YoungJRNY
Compact Disc

Postby Enigma869 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:26 pm

YoungJRNY wrote:
I know one thing, Luck and the Colts won't get away with what they got away with VS Kansas City as they would New England so they better be careful. I didn't get to watch the game Saturday but watching the highlights, I was shocked to see Andrew Luck turn the ball over time and time again, throwing 3 picks, which could of been demoralizing to a team and will be demoralizing against a team like New England who won't make the mistakes K.C did, especially Andy Reid's habit of choking. Luck is everything you said he is, but he still threw 3 INT's and was outplayed by Alex Smith in the turnover department. Brady and Bellichick would of made sure to score 50+ on Indy if they were in K.C's situation. Hard to go against Brady, but out of every team in the AFC, I think N.E can handle anybody, including Denver if it comes to it, but I think Indy will give them the most problems in every matchup around the field. Going to be a GOOD one.

I don't disagree with any of what you said. This is a tough game. I suspect that it will come down to the final possession. Andrew Luck is going to light up this Patriots defense. That said, the Colts defense gave up almost 400 yards passing and 4 TD's to Alex Freakin' Smith....Alex Smith! I like the Patriots in a close one. Early on, it doesn't look like weather will be much of a factor (temperatures in the 40's during the day, so probably low 30's by game time), so we'll see how things shake out.
John from Boston
Enigma869
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Enigma869 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:06 am

Just in case you need more ammunition for why the Bengals suck so much. Seriously...what owner gives an interview and states on the record that he didn't want the QB his team ended up drafting? What a jackass!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... kaepernick

Bengals owner Mike Brown: I wanted to draft Colin KaepernickBy John Breech | CBSSports.com
January 5, 2014 12:55 pm ET

Colin Kaepernick was almost a Cincinnati Bengal. (USATSI)
Colin Kaepernick will be the 49ers starting quarterback in Green Bay on Sunday, but he wouldn't be if Bengals owner Mike Brown would have had his way during the 2011 NFL Draft.

Brown, who also serves as the team's general manager, admitted during an interview with the Cincinnati Enquirer this week that he wanted to draft Kaepernick with the 35th overall pick and not Andy Dalton. "I like [Kaepernick]. He has unusual mobility," Brown said of his thoughts at the time.

However, the Bengals didn't take Kaepernick though because offensive coordinator Jay Gruden was able to talk Brown out of it. Gruden felt that Dalton fit his offense better than Kaepernick did.

The Bengals ended up selecting Dalton at no. 35 and Kaepernick didn't last much longer. The 49ers selected the former Nevada quarterback with the very next pick. Neither team can really complain with the results so far. Dalton has taken the Bengals to the postseason three straight times. Before Dalton's arrival, the Bengals had never made the postseason three straight times at any point in franchise history.

As for Kaepernick, he took over as the 49ers starter after Alex Smith went down in 2012 and ended up leading San Francisco to the Super Bowl. The 26-year-old led the 49ers to a 12-4 record and a wild-card berth this season.

Kaepernick and Dalton aren't just linked through the draft, they're also linked in age. The two quarterbacks were born five days apart in 1987 with Dalton born on Oct. 29 and Kaepernick born on Nov. 3

Stories like this pop up all the time -- where a general manager says he was going to draft a certain player -- so it's hard to separate fact from fiction. For instance, it was reported in September that the Eagles were going to trade the 49ers for Kaepernick, but they didn't because they wanted to focus on drafting Russell Wilson.

Brown's story seems to make sense though, the Bengals took A.J. Green with the fourth overall pick and the team didn't try to hide their intentions of taking a quarterback at No. 35. That quarterback just ended up being Andy Dalton instead of Colin Kaepernick.
John from Boston
Enigma869
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Jonny B » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:42 am

My picks for next weekend.

Patriots over Colts (If the Colts have another one of their famous slow starts, this game could be over before halftime. That Pats' D will not allow a comeback like the one the Chiefs coughed up.)

Broncos over Chargers (If Manning can't win a playoff game with Wes Welker AND going up against the 29th ranked Pass Defense, then he should consider retirement...but then, the Broncos' D isn't that much better....Not factoring in the weather, this one has shootout written all over it.)

Seahawks over Saints (I hope the Saints enjoyed their first ever road playoff win. Brees now faces the best Pass Defense at one of the toughest home fields in the league.)

Panthers over 49ers (Both QBs could be very ineffective and may have to rely on their legs to score anything in a match-up stacked with defense.)
"I once had an understanding that everything would go my way. But now we’ve come too far along for me to hold on to my own beliefs" -- Delain
Jonny B
8 Track

Postby Enigma869 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:51 am

Patriots LB Brandon Spikes done for the season after an injury he sustained in the final game of the season, and in the beyond bizarre file...The Colts just signed former Patriots WR, Deion Branch, who hasn't played football this season.
John from Boston
Enigma869
Digital Audio Tape

Postby No Surprize » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:10 pm

What an awesome National Championship game to watch. Blow after blow from both sides, playing thru exhaustion, big plays all around. Congrats to Florida State University, 2014 BCS National Champions. Next year, playoff format takes effect. All four teams should be from the south. :P
"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby Enigma869 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:38 am

Quite the interesting article on Peyton Manning.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... oul/28030/
John from Boston
Enigma869
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Ehwmatt » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:59 am

No Surprize wrote:What an awesome National Championship game to watch. Blow after blow from both sides, playing thru exhaustion, big plays all around. Congrats to Florida State University, 2014 BCS National Champions. Next year, playoff format takes effect. All four teams should be from the south. :P

Mason's 37-yard TD run was unbelievable and should've gone down as one of the greatest plays in college history. Reminded me of Marshawn Lynch's famous "beast mode" run against New Orleans. But I knew that it left FSU with too much time to drive and win. And FSU did just that. I also had a feeling that Auburn's missed 33-yard field goal in the first half would be huge (even though Auburn was winning big against a doe-eyed FSU team at that point).

Also, I was completely unimpressed with Winston's display on the big stage. I didn't realize how slow and how much of a clod he is. I admittedly have barely watched him this year, but if that's the kind of player he is, we'll soon be adding him to the long list of quickly forgotten Heisman-winning QBs.

The biggest winner for me: Guz Malzahn. His preparation, calculated risk-taking, and guts impressed the hell out of me. He clearly took advantage of every minute of the last month to devise a perfect game plan for FSU. But for the special teams gaffes (missed FG, falling for the fake punt, and allowing the kick return TD), he would've led his team to one of the biggest upsets in recent history. I really can't criticize any of his decision making (well, maybe I would've run a screen to Mason on the penultimate play of the game in hopes that he'd break one instead of taking a shot downfield with the noodle-armed QB). On the other hand, Jimbo Fisher is to be lauded for his calm when it looked like FSU was about to suffer an embarrassing defeat and his balls on the fake punt that turned the game, but not much else as far as coaching goes.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby YoungJRNY » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:18 pm

Good post, Matt. I'll admit, I was always one who never really latched on to the college football scene no matter how hard I tried but this 'Bowl season was different. I had a blast watching virtually every 'Bowl game this year and I'm glad I took the time to sit down and enjoy them. Compared to years prior, last nights National Championship was possibly one of the best played back and forth, evenly matched championship games I've ever watched at that level and damn was it a good one.

In most instances, Auburn, from the naked eye, seemed to outplay FSU virtually in every aspect and was shocked to see them come out on the losing end of things. FSU was resilient and I tip my cap to them but they were far from the best team on that field last night. Auburn seemed faster, stronger, bigger and really brought a smothering defense to the table in a game where they were predicted to be blown out. The difference proved to be special teams.

In the first half, Auburn had their way with FSU because it ALL started with a brilliant punt that pinned FSU on their one yard line and FSU never seemed to recover in the first 30 minutes of play. However, Auburn's special teams wanted to blow it ALL night, almost losing the ball on 3 straight punt returns at one point (recovering them all) and missing an early FG in a game where any points would have mattered. They completely botched a kick return for a T.D for FSU in the final minutes as 2 Auburn players immediately eliminated themselves out of the play and right into FSU's blocking scheme to set up the runback.

One guy foolishly left his lane and the other seemed to blow out his hamstring, leaving that side of the field perfectly blocked in FSU's favor. In the end, it was special teams that came back to bite Auburn in the ass because all night their units were flirting with disaster and it finally bit them. All FSU did on that final drive was let their playmakers do the talking. If you let a team like FSU hang around, especially in the final minutes in a game on the biggest stage, they will breakthrough and it's exactly what they did, even in a night to where they didn't play their best football.

Great game. Loved every second of it, ontop of others during the last few weeks and even in a losing effort, Auburn should hold their heads high. They competed like true ballers that truly wanted it very badly.
YoungJRNY
Compact Disc

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara