Eclpse - Journey (Review)

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Eclpse - Journey (Review)

Postby STARFIRE » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:29 am

Journey
ECL1PS3 (2011)
Frontiers Records
Produced by: Kevin Shirley

For the Genre: ***** (5/5)
Compared to the Era: ***** (5/5)

Summary: With a fresh, accessible sound, ECLIPSE is an epic sonic journey.

By now, everyone should know that Journey can bring the goods. A veteran group with its original founding band leader, primary guitarist and composer Neal Schon still at the helm, writing and recording in San Francisco since before the poser days of the late 80s MTV scene on Sunset Boulevard, he’s still doing it the right way in the California bay area. Masterfully recorded with the great Kevin Shirley in Berkeley, California and in Nashville—the Live Session Recording Capital of the World—this disc is like owning a museum masterpiece in your own home. Disregard Frontiers’ el cheapo “Digipak” cardboard packaging and awkward slip-disc center packaging; between the outstanding artwork and delightful photography, this record is still worth purchasing physically. This isn’t hyperbole; I’m purchasing this one on Vinyl! Why not? There is NO filler on this album!

Ordinarily, an album—especially by our favorite classic rock artists—kick off the set with a great lead off track, like Night Ranger’s “Somewhere in California,” only for each subsequent song more anemic than the last before eventually petering out; perhaps there is a nice hard hitting track somewhere near the end, but by then, you’re wishing you just streamed it over Spotify instead. Not Eclipse. Right after “City of Hope”—which is a freaking epic song with its huge vocal sound throughout, heavy guitar work and solid percussion work—come even more hook-healthy, groove-centric songs like “Chain of Love” or the intensely urgent “Edge of the Moment.” Then, there has never been a more Journey-sounding songs than the hard hitting “Ritual,” or “Tantra,” a dramatic, sweeping orchestral-backed piano ballad intro to the majestic rock supporting Arnel Pineda, who—in my opinion—should have been the end of the you- know-who should re-unite with the band “debate.” It’s over. It’s dead. It’s done. Arnel Pineda is the voice of Journey, and that is one of the songs that cements this reality into existence permanently.

I call Eclipse an epic sonic journey for a reason; a song like “She’s A Mystery” makes this record anything but a nostalgic throwback release from a classic rock band; that track could have been released by any new, great band. It’s modern, but not annoyingly so. Schon’s layers and layers of acoustic and electric guitar work forms a handcrafted tapestry of sound fit for a long drive along the coast of California. This along with “Venus,” the great reprise of the end of “To Whom It May Concern,” a wonderful gift to the listener, and the avid fan of Album Oriented Rock.
Best regards,
~ Dairenn
STARFIRE
Keyboardist/Guitarist/Vocalist
StarFireMusic.com
STARFIRE
Radio Waves

Re: Eclpse - Journey (Review)

Postby slucero » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:42 am

2 years later??

That sold a little over 100k??

seriously?
MyRA: Where US taxpayers loan their retirement savings to the federal government in exchange for Treasury Bonds, which are currently returning a rate less than inflation.

Big win for the government, big loser for the suckers who loan their retirement.
slucero
Stereo LP

Postby Liam » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:45 am

Who gives a fuck? This ain't the Journey forum.
Liam

"It ain't how hard you can hit. It's how hard you can get it, and keep goin'." - Rocky
Liam
MP3

Postby slucero » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:47 am

hahah true..
MyRA: Where US taxpayers loan their retirement savings to the federal government in exchange for Treasury Bonds, which are currently returning a rate less than inflation.

Big win for the government, big loser for the suckers who loan their retirement.
slucero
Stereo LP

Postby Liam » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:48 am

Just a glaring truth. LOL
Liam

"It ain't how hard you can hit. It's how hard you can get it, and keep goin'." - Rocky
Liam
MP3

Postby STARFIRE » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:58 am

slucero wrote:That sold a little over 100k??

I don't get it. Who's selling more than 100,000 copies of anything anymore?
Best regards,
~ Dairenn
STARFIRE
Keyboardist/Guitarist/Vocalist
StarFireMusic.com
STARFIRE
Radio Waves

Postby Liam » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:19 pm

What I don't get is why is a 2 year old review of this album still not in the Journey forum?
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby Don » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:19 pm

STARFIRE wrote:

Journey, for one. Their Greatest Hits album sold over 500,000 copies that same year, part of the 690,000 Journey albums sold in 2011 under the Sony label.
Journey fans are STILL buying albums, they just ain't buying Eclipse.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby jestor92 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:55 pm

Don wrote:
STARFIRE wrote:

Journey, for one. Their Greatest Hits album sold over 500,000 copies that same year, part of the 690,000 Journey albums sold in 2011 under the Sony label.
Journey fans are STILL buying albums, they just ain't buying Eclipse.

I don't blame them. It like the new music from Revelation sucks.
jestor92
8 Track

Postby Andrew » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:29 pm

STARFIRE wrote:

Exactly. Great album!
Andrew
Administrator

Postby scarab » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:38 pm

While Eclipse is a good album, these 100%, 10/10 and even a 5/5 reviews are silly.
Eclipse has great material, but very uneven. City of Hope killed any chance of the album selling. Its a boring song with a boring chorus, and never understood why Journey tried to force it down our throats as the lead single.

Now Resonate, Anything is Possible, and Someone are the some of the best songs of the post-Perry era.

Shes a mystery would be a great sleep aid. I can see why Schon added the "rock" at the end. Venus is just a jam session.

An objective Melodicrock fan would maybe give this a 85%, or 8/10, or 4/5.

Good stuff but not a classic of all time (100%).

Im a Journey nut, and even Frontiers (which is my fav) Id give 95%, for the silly Perry vocals on Backtalk.
scarab
8 Track

Postby Pelata » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:14 am

scarab wrote:While Eclipse is a good album, these 100%, 10/10 and even a 5/5 reviews are silly.
Eclipse has great material, but very uneven.

Yeah, I agree. I can't say it's a "bad" album, just overly bogged down with unnecessarily long arrangements and solos. I wish Neal would leave that side of himself to his solo albums...it's too late to crowbar that into Journey.
Pelata
Cassette Tape

Postby Gideon » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:56 am

Eclipse is a great album, IMHO. But I've never heard a 10/10 album from any artist, ever. A perfect album to me is one that I can listen to from start to finish without wanting to hit the skip button. Journey's never had that. Frontiers might have been the one had they ditched Backtalk and the titular track for OTY and ATL.

As for Eclipse, my opinions on it changed. City of Hope grew on me; Edge of the Moment faded fast. 'Resonate' is the only track that hasn't lost my interest for a moment. Though I always skip the first minute of scratches, synth, and Gregorian chants.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby yulog » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Worst hazing i have ever seen , Starfire you got off easy :lol:
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby Everett » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:50 am

Never heard of eclpse. I thought it was called eclIpse 8)
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc

Return to Death By Stereo