OFFICIAL NFL 2014-2015 Thread

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: OFFICIAL NFL 2014-2015 Thread

Postby Jonny B » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:01 am

DavidWT wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:Kudos to the Jets for showing up and responding. Though they lost, that was an exceptional performance. First time ever I've seen Gino Smith feeling it all night long. He made some tough throws and kept his feet alive. I know there are no moral victories in football, but if there was ever one, the Jets definitely had a moral victory in this one. The Jets offense kind of reminded me of the Steelers in the redzone. Redzone penalties crushed them. Pittsburgh has that same problem. Great game. Finally, a Thursday Nighter worth watching.

True. As agonizing as it was for me to watch, I'm still glad that they put up a good fight.
It's just soooo frustrating at this point. They keep letting games slip away from them. When the played the Packers, they dominated throughout most of the first half, and then fell asleep. When they played the Broncos, I expected them to be destroyed, but they were only down by a touchdown in the 4th quarter, until Geno's desperate throw in the final seconds, which was intercepted and returned for a Broncos' TD, making the final score look more one-sided than the game really was. And now against the Pats, they had their best chance yet to finally come away with an upset, and they STILL couldn't do it.

Their schedule gets a bit easier now, I think, but it's probably too late to have any hopes of reaching the playoffs, even if they miraculously win out the rest of the season (which won't happen.)

As a Jets fan, I get very used to saying this: "Maybe next year...."

All is not lost. We just got Percy Harvin from Seattle.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_ ... -york-jets

He probably won't help much. But maybe he'll give us Jets fans a reason to watch through another agonizing season.
"I once had an understanding that everything would go my way. But now we’ve come too far along for me to hold on to my own beliefs" -- Delain
Jonny B
8 Track

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:03 am

Totally forgot about the early Pick'EM Lions/Falcons game. Liked the Falcons.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby DavidWT » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:24 am

I'm now at the point where I think the Jets might as well just lose every game for the rest of the season. There's no way they're going to the playoffs, or even have a semi-respectable record, so they might as well go for getting the top draft pick.

Besides, winning only 1 game in the entire season is at least kind of funny and memorable, whereas winning 3 or 4 games is just forgettable (I mean, I still remember the Rich Kotite years, but I have have forgotten a lot of the mediocre years since then.)
DavidWT
LP

Postby Memorex » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:34 am

DavidWT wrote:I'm now at the point where I think the Jets might as well just lose every game for the rest of the season. There's no way they're going to the playoffs, or even have a semi-respectable record, so they might as well go for getting the top draft pick.

Besides, winning only 1 game in the entire season is at least kind of funny and memorable, whereas winning 3 or 4 games is just forgettable (I mean, I still remember the Rich Kotite years, but I have have forgotten a lot of the mediocre years since then.)

The Raiders have a lock on the number one pick. :)
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Jonny B » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:34 am

DavidWT wrote:I'm now at the point where I think the Jets might as well just lose every game for the rest of the season. There's no way they're going to the playoffs, or even have a semi-respectable record, so they might as well go for getting the top draft pick.

Tell you honestly, I thought the Jets were going to have this kind of year, last year.

The difference has been the defense. The Jets have always struggled to score points, and the turnovers certainly never helps any defense when they have to defend a short field....But Rex Ryan's defensive playbook relies on a shutdown corner to take away part of the field, and because Dee Milliner isn't cutting it as a suitable replacement for Cromartie nor Revis, the Jets are on pace for giving up a touchdown a game more than last year. Those few extra points have been the difference between winning and losing. I don't think it would matter, even if the offense wasn't turning the ball over. The Jets just aren't good this year.
"I once had an understanding that everything would go my way. But now we’ve come too far along for me to hold on to my own beliefs" -- Delain
Jonny B
8 Track

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:38 am

Still not sure why I went with the Giants last night? Had the Colts my poll. Working 7 days is mind fucking me lmao.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Jonny B » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:40 am

I'm a little shocked that after the season I'm having that I came out as the high man last week. I guess I'm allowed to be lucky once in awhile. 8) Gonna need at least 4 or 5 more like that to catch up with you guys.
Jonny B
8 Track

Postby Jonny B » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:43 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Still not sure why I went with the Giants last night? Had the Colts my poll. Working 7 days is mind fucking me lmao.

After the way the Colts got lambasted by Pittsburgh, I certainly didn't expect the Colts to bounce back the way they did.

Speaking of....The Steelers are looking like the favorite now, aren't they? Rothlisburger is on a tare. Back-to-back 6 TD performances? Insane.
Jonny B
8 Track

Postby Memorex » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:15 am

I'm just glad the NFL season is finally over this year and I can focus on Thanksgiving and Christmas. :roll:
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:37 am

Jonny B wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:Still not sure why I went with the Giants last night? Had the Colts my poll. Working 7 days is mind fucking me lmao.

After the way the Colts got lambasted by Pittsburgh, I certainly didn't expect the Colts to bounce back the way they did.

Speaking of....The Steelers are looking like the favorite now, aren't they? Rothlisburger is on a tare. Back-to-back 6 TD performances? Insane.

The season is actually playing out the way most Steelers fans thought it would. We knew it was going to take atleast half-season for the defense to start to come together judging by the changes and turnover-rate at high profile positions. We have dealt with some key injuries the last few weeks but the defense is starting to gel. They aren't dominant by any means, but they are starting to force more turnovers and get pressure on QB's. They have been playing with attitude lately so hopefully they continue to get better.

It's the Steelers offense we are seeing now that I expected to see out the gates and we just didn't get it from the first half of the season. We knew they needed to carry the team so the defense can get their feet under them and from the start, the offense had all the potential to do so. They started slow at first, but the offense is finally performing the way we envisioned. Now, with the offense coming alive and the defense getting better and better, the team is starting to play very well at the right times. We'll see if they ride this momentum.

It seems like my response to your 4-12 Steelers prediction is playing itself out:

Steelers at 4-12? :shock: Good God. Not only is Haley's system coming around, but he's doing what big bad Bruce Arians NEVER did for his best friend at quarterback and that's give Big Ben keys to the no huddle attack (something Ben has pleaded and pleaded for since his 3rd year in the NFL) which the Steelers will use practically as one of their base offense's.

They installed the no huddle only within' the second half of the 2013 season and the Steelers, as a team, started piling up wins, yards and points, tying the AFC's best second half record at 6-2.

The defense is in full transition and the entire team upgraded with youth and speed practically all over the place. The defense may need time to come around but the Steelers as an offense has a chance to be tops in the league and score with anybody.

I have the Steelers at 9-7 but remain skeptical in how they come out of the gates this season. 4-12 is insane to me. With the talent they have and with Roethlisberger still playing at a high level, the Steelers are good for 8 wins at their worst. Bell and Blount may not get suspended from the NFL, but I know Tomlin probably will enforce one and it will probably be only a game apiece. No big deal.

You're giving Brian Hoyer and a bunch of nobodies (no Josh Gordon; No Nate Burleson) 3 more wins over a potent Roethlisberger/Antonio Brown connection, which could be a top 3 quarterback/receiver tandem in not only the AFC North, but the NFL as well.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:55 am

This thread is fucking DEAD!

LeVeon Bell is a special runner. I mark out every time Bell uses that jab-step and he uses it ALOT in his holster of moves. He's so fun to watch. It's almost like the space continuum slows down for a split second and Bell's Spidey-sense clicks in for that split moment, picks his holes and accelerates at a different speed that throws off the defense's timing.

'Dat jab-step d'ough! Freaking beautiful.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby slucero » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:04 pm

dayum..

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Jonny B » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:03 am

I haven't been around much other than to pick games. This year's been a wash. I'm so far behind now that I would need a string of perfect weeks just to even have a shot at catching up with the rest of you.

How about them NFC South? Pretty sad. 6 wins might win that division. :lol:
Jonny B
8 Track

Postby Memorex » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:29 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:This board is fucking DEAD!

Fixed it for you.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:51 am

Punk:

YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby conversationpc » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:27 am

conversationpc wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:
slucero wrote:If the Pats can continue playing with the fire they did against the Bengals... they look pretty tough..

The go to Buffalo, then have 3 games at home against the Jets, Bears & Broncos..

could be a good 4 games for them.

The only good thing for the Pats is that they can play like dogshit for a good portion of the season and still win that division anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7. That AFC East continues to suck major fucking balls.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they finished 10-6 or even as good as 11-5.

OK...14-2? LOL :lol:
My blog = Dave's Dominion
conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby conversationpc » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:30 am

Fact Finder wrote:Check your pickems guys, apparently the Bills/Jets game needs re-picked since it was postponed and moved to Detroit. I got an email heads up and sure enough it had become un-picked.

Nice of them to let us know...I can't change my pick now since the game's already started. :evil:
My blog = Dave's Dominion
conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby Jonny B » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:43 am

Fact Finder wrote:Check your pickems guys, apparently the Bills/Jets game needs re-picked since it was postponed and moved to Detroit. I got an email heads up and sure enough it had become un-picked.

Didn't matter, I got it wrong a second time anyway....My Jets can't even beat a team that was snowed in and could barely practice at all.
Jonny B
8 Track

Postby slucero » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:32 pm

Time to stick a fork in the 9ers... they're done.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:54 am

Fact Finder wrote:A huge thank you to San Diego, New Orleans and Buffalo today. Perfect! :D

Bengals just happen to be the best of the worst. Still play the Steelers twice. AFC NORTH will come down to the last game of season.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:42 am

2014 Football is dead to me!
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Jonny B » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:38 am

I was hoping for a 6 - 10 Division champion, only because it would have been ludicrous and mind-numbing. That all but ended with the Falcons and Saints both winning on Sunday.

Now for that to even become a possibility, both teams would have to lose the rest of their games while beating the other in their second match-up against one another. While there is an outside chance, the Saints still have 3 Division games left and I don't see them losing to both the Panthers & Bucs. With that kind of schedule, even a 7 - 9 division champ is very unlikely. The team to win the Saints and Falcons will win the division and likely finish 8 - 8 or 9 - 7.
Jonny B
8 Track

Postby AR » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:11 am

Fact Finder wrote:This could be big in AFC North race...

Baltimore Ravens defensive tackle Haloti Ngata suspended by the NFL next 4 games for violating performance enhancing substances policy - @Ravens

:shock:

Ravens weren't going anywhere anyway. Not with that awful secondary.

On a happier note, I took the family to meet Steve Smith Sr. last night. It was a benefit for the "There Goes My Hero" leukemia foundation that my wife volunteers for trying to get people to be bone marrow donors. My first time out since my "little" medical problem.

AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:44 am

Out of all the other 31 teams in the NFL, the Bengals are that ONE team that I'm just never, ever afraid of. EVER. It'll be a dogfight. Week 17 is key for all teams in the AFC NORTH.

Fucking Bell is a horse.

Le'Veon Bell became the second RB in history to have three consecutive games with over 200 yards from scrimmage. The other is Walter Payton.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:09 pm

Memorex.....step away from the ledge. It's not worth it.We can TALK about this :lol:
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:32 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Memorex.....step away from the ledge. It's not worth it.We can TALK about this :lol:

So I hear there are other professional sports besides the NFL. Any ideas?

Niners look like utter shit.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby ebake02 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:57 am

Memorex wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:Memorex.....step away from the ledge. It's not worth it.We can TALK about this :lol:

Hockey is the only sport you need.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:04 am

ebake02 wrote:
Memorex wrote:

And they score more points than the Niners lately. :)
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby slucero » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:09 am

Memorex wrote:

No the Raiders look like shit... and after yesterday, the 9ers look way worse... :wink:

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Jonny B » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:03 am

My pick-em's are pretty much a fail now. Based on my average score, the rest of you would have to quit the last 3 weeks just so that I can catch up.

But, there's always the playoffs. 20 - 2 over the last 2 years. :mrgreen:

ebake02 wrote:

I'll drink to that. 8)
Jonny B
8 Track

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara