R.I.P. AC/DC

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

R.I.P. AC/DC

Postby slucero » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:19 am

wow.... they got me through high school... what a great fucking band.

http://theorstrahyun.blogspot.com.au/20 ... 4.html?m=1

Tuesday, April 15, 2014
RIP AC/DC: 1973 - 2014

By Darryl Mason

AC/DC are ending their 41 year career on a terribly sad note.

Plans were underway for a new studio album, their first since 2008's monumental Black Ice, and a '40th Anniversary' world tour, 40 huge shows across the globe.

About 3 weeks ago, founding member, rhythm guitarist, co-producer and co-songwriter Malcolm Young had a stroke, which left a blood clot on his brain.

When AC/DC reunited at the start of April to begin a month of rehearsals, in the lead-up to new album recording sessions, Malcolm discovered he couldn't play. At least, he couldn't play like he used to play.

Nothing has been officially confirmed, as of this writing, but friends and family members have been discussing what happened to Malcolm for the past couple of weeks. The blood clot, resulting from the stroke, is believed to be why Malcolm couldn't keep working.

Although friends have described Malcolm's condition as serious, it doesn't mean he won't recover. People do get better after strokes, and people do recover lost skills.

But friends and family of band members believe the decision was made last week to call it quits.

Media in Australia have gone ballistic today on rumours of The End Of AC/DC, and it appears the news got out ahead of a planned official announcement from the band and management.

Right now, that announcement is expected Tuesday, April 16, and a press conference has been scheduled.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Re: R.I.P. AC/DC

Postby verslibre » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:23 am

Wow. No Malcolm, no band. Those guys had a pact. They had a good run. RIP.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby conversationpc » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:56 am

verslibre wrote:Wow. No Malcolm, no band. Those guys had a pact. They had a good run. RIP.

If they really are calling it quits because of this then more power to them if they stick to it. If Malcolm improves and they decide to give it a go, then more power to them for that also.
My blog = Dave's Dominion

conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby ebake02 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:31 am

I call bullshit on this until AC/DC addresses it themselves.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby Fact Finder » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:58 am

ebake02 wrote:I call bullshit on this until AC/DC addresses it themselves.

No..the rumor has been out there a while that someone in the band was having issues. Brian addressed it in a interview a while back. It seems that the issue has gotten worse as the DailyTelegraph.AU has a full page story on it today. And now this story of a recent stroke all start to add up. The only question was which member was it that was sick. If it is Malcolm, I wish him the best. Strokes suck donkey balls. :cry:
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Fact Finder » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:08 am

Before AC/DC there was a third Young brother who made a splash on the music scene.

Let's hear a little bit of Angus and Malcolm's older Brother George Young. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iW2_Ec3uEU
Last edited by Fact Finder on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Fact Finder » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:11 am

verslibre wrote:Wow. No Malcolm, no band. Those guys had a pact. They had a good run. RIP.

$440 Million Gross on the last tour alone.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby verslibre » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:27 am

Fact Finder wrote:

Pocket change! :lol:
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby Fact Finder » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:13 am

verslibre wrote:
Fact Finder wrote:

Pocket change! :lol:

After all expenses and taxes you are probably right. :lol:
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:00 pm

One of the best rock bands, ever. Top 10 in my book. I love bands like AC/DC, where, when you hear the first strum of the guitar, you know who you're listening to. A very rocky story this band has lived through, but they lived through it and kept going. I have a ton of respect for those guys. Check out the "Behind the Music" on these guys on Youtube. I've missed a lot of sleep watching episodes of BTM, but theirs is top notch.
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby steveo777 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:58 pm

Don't be too fast to write these guys off. Time and faith may bring em back. You can't discount it. Look at the lows Clapton was in and look where he went.
steveo777
MP3

Postby No Surprize » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:51 pm

Stevei Young, Malcom's nephew, filled in for him when he was "drying out" back in the day. So if they want they could continue which they probably will to support the 40th, then retire. I've ran into Brian Johnson many times since he lives in Sarasota which isn't to far from me. Just a down to earth dude with no hangups about being a rock and roll star. I've always loved me some AC/DC. You know what your getting every time they release an album. Straight ahead 3 chord power rock, their distinctive sound, and NO fucking ballads.
"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:15 am

AC/DC

3 mins

After forty years of life dedicated to AC/DC, guitarist and founding member Malcolm Young is taking a break from the band due to ill health. Malcolm would like to thank the group’s diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support.
In light of this news, AC/DC asks that Malcolm and his family’s privacy be respected during this time. The band will continue to make music.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby verslibre » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:47 am

Responding to the speculation in an interview with The Telegraph, frontman Johnson also said: “We are definitely getting together in May in Vancouver. We're going to pick up some guitars, have a plonk, and see if anybody has got any tunes or ideas. If anything happens, we'll record it.”

“I wouldn't like to say anything either way about the future. I'm not ruling anything out,” he added.

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/146819/Were-Definitely-Getting-Together-In-May-ACDC-Frontman-Brian-Johnson-Denies-Band-Are-Splitting-Up
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby No Surprize » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:12 am

People who think Malcolm is "just a rhythm guitarist" don't get how critical his role really is. As a guitarist for decades myself, if I could create brilliant propulsion like that all the time I'd be overjoyed...
"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:23 am

Technically, AC/DC is Malcolm's band. If they tour without him (again), it'll likely be somebody very close to the band (like a relative, as before), and only with Malc's blessing.
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby slucero » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:18 pm

Malcom is the chief songwriter...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby conversationpc » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:46 pm

No Surprize wrote:People who think Malcolm is "just a rhythm guitarist" don't get how critical his role really is. As a guitarist for decades myself, if I could create brilliant propulsion like that all the time I'd be overjoyed...

Agreed...People think AC/DC songs are easy to play and, technically, they are correct but whenever I hear an AC/DC cover, it always seems like there's something missing and it's usually something in the rhythm. Angus is a great bluesy soloist but I think Malcolm's rhythm playing is more important.

conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby ebake02 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:36 am

conversationpc wrote:
No Surprize wrote:People who think Malcolm is "just a rhythm guitarist" don't get how critical his role really is. As a guitarist for decades myself, if I could create brilliant propulsion like that all the time I'd be overjoyed...

Agreed...People think AC/DC songs are easy to play and, technically, they are correct but whenever I hear an AC/DC cover, it always seems like there's something missing and it's usually something in the rhythm. Angus is a great bluesy soloist but I think Malcolm's rhythm playing is more important.

Listening to AC/DC you can tell that Angus' solos were written around Malcom's rhythm.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby Fact Finder » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:02 am

Sydney, New South Wales, AU 

1h

AC/DC's Malcolm Young reportedly suffering from dementia and has moved to a Sydney nursing home - @smh

Read more on smh.com.au
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Ehwmatt » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:46 am

Fact Finder wrote:Sydney, New South Wales, AU 

1h

AC/DC's Malcolm Young reportedly suffering from dementia and has moved to a Sydney nursing home - @smh

Read more on smh.com.au

Dementia? Damn. He's only 61.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby tater1977 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:49 am

Play Ball - AC/DC's MLB on TBS Postseason TV Ad

Published on Sep 24, 2014

http://youtu.be/KG-RntPs-MA

MLB on TBS Postseason ad featuring AC/DC's "Play Ball" off their new album "Rock or Bust"
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby FormerDJMike » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:20 am

I heard the Play Ball clip. Sounds like AC/DC to me! I read an article about Malcolm and it said he is having trouble recognizing people he's known for ages. Sad, very sad. Brian confirmed he is permanantly out of the band. Mal wrote some of the best riffs. Hells Bells, You Shook Me & The guitar lick for Back In Black so he had a HUGE role over the years.
Last edited by FormerDJMike on Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby slucero » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:20 pm

..not just "some"... pretty much ALL of them... he was the chief songwriter...

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Fact Finder » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:00 am

Malcolm Young's Family Confirms AC/DC Guitarist's Dementia

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... a-20140930

:cry:
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby conversationpc » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:08 am

Fact Finder wrote:Malcolm Young's Family Confirms AC/DC Guitarist's Dementia

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... a-20140930

:cry:

Yeah, that's gotta be a tough one...They are saying that if you were in the room with him, walked out, and then come back in, he doesn't remember you. I went through watching my grandfather with Alzheimer's. Hands down, the worst experience of my life.

conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby Boomchild » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:50 am

This is some sad news. I can feel for the band members as well as his family. I had similar experiences with my grandmother who had Dementia and now my father is in the early stages of Alzheimer's and is slowly staring to slip away.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Return to Death By Stereo