Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice THREAD

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:14 am

NO matter what he did he was going to end up with a bad movie....but what he did do made a bad movie even worse.

So wait, you DID see the movie, then?

I think you are over estimating this reaction. I bet just as many people walked out before Wonder Woman showed up as the number who cheered.

Doubt it.

No he didn't. That is just not true. Most of that shit was inexplicable, unless you already knew what he was going for. So, Batman has taken to torturing and branding people so they are murdered in prison...that is more disturbing and "WTF" worthy then showing Batman is a tortured sole himself. In fact, I say it is shock drama, ala breaking Zod's neck, and lazy writing.

What are your sources?

PHENOMENAL? Come down to reality.

Yet, you're the one living in somebody else's reality. You read well. Or did you see the film and are afraid to admit to seeing it because it goes against your word of not having any interest? Your interest is obviously like a pressure cooker judging by your outburst of posts. And it's okay :lol: But you must protect your role. I understand.

When it comes to Tony Stark - it makes sense. In fact, any film that has Tony Stark in it is going to have some one-liners, because that is how his character rolls.

Not really. It's how RDJR rolls. The "character" of Iron Man wasn't created cira 2008 like most of you think.

The only future DC film it hit for was Wonder Woman...and MAYBE Justice League, because it cameoed so many of the characters.

No shit? That was the point. Now you're just hedging and backpeddling :lol:
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:19 am

verslibre wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:Batman v Superman Isn't Like Other Superhero Films, And That's Why It's Great
http://kotaku.com/batman-v-superman-isn ... 1768676827

Perhaps the single best article I've seen on the film. In lieu of reiterating, it's better to just read it.

Everything the author outlines, I absolutely agreed with. By far the best article written that gets right down to the point and breaks things down well without getting into flaming.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:22 am

YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:38 am

Monker wrote:Poor Batman is old and grumpy :(.

Maaaaaan, you don't know jack about Batman! :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:39 am

Momoa & Fisher in the house!!!

Amazons, anyone?

verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:43 am

verslibre wrote:

...it was at this moment where Monker frantically scanned over Wikipedia to reach expert level in order to tell you how wrong you are. :lol:
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:43 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
verslibre wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:Batman v Superman Isn't Like Other Superhero Films, And That's Why It's Great
http://kotaku.com/batman-v-superman-isn ... 1768676827

Perhaps the single best article I've seen on the film. In lieu of reiterating, it's better to just read it.

Everything the author outlines, I absolutely agreed with. By far the best article written that gets right down to the point and breaks things down well without getting into flaming.

It's nice to see not everyone has slurped the Kool-Aid. Exhibit A:

BvS, much like Snyder’s Man of Steel, takes itself very seriously. It attempts to balance a wide cast of characters with an engaging spring blockbuster story, and there have been many gleeful attacks that assert that Snyder just wasn’t able to hit the mark when it comes to constructing a story that people might actually enjoy. I believe that a lot of those bad feelings are coming from a mismeasure of fans expectations of superhero films versus the kind of story that Zack Snyder is interested in telling.

Earlier in the article, we got:

The first phase of Marvel films all follow the exact same format. Each are replications of the plot points of Spider-Man with the same hybrid of action and comedy. The entire draw of Iron Man was in the comical line delivery of Robert Downey Jr. The Incredible Hulk repeatedly goes to the well of The Hulk’s goofiness, wasting no opportunity to talk about purple pants and the embarrassment of Hulk’s size. The entire first half of Captain America is a comedy about a guy who is too weak for Tommy Lee Jones that gets supplanted by a comedy about a guy who has to punch Hitler every night. Thor is maybe the most egregious of that first wave. It is scene after scene of fish-out-of-water comedy whose sole action conflict is a giant robot that blurps a laser out of its face.

I like all the movies mentioned in that paragraph, but he's not lying!
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:49 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
verslibre wrote:

...it was at this moment where Monker frantically scanned over Wikipedia to reach expert level in order to tell you how wrong you are. :lol:

I've dealt with his kind before.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:51 am

YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby RedWingFan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:47 pm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/ ... ckdown.htm
BvS is going to finish behind all of these. It's a sharp decline in sales compared to the others. Everyone wanted to see the spectacle, including myself, but for most once was more than enough.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:04 pm

verslibre wrote:Momoa & Fisher in the house!!!

Amazons, anyone?

Kinda looks like the new Xena: Warrior Princess reboot coming to NBC! Let me say this - even tho BvsS was a mess, James Wan is a GREAT director and I have high hopes for Aquaman. James Wan has gone from a student filmmaker (Saw 1) to an important Hollywood player. I've enjoyed pretty much every film he's made (Wan's underrated Death Sentence is a better Punisher movie than the actual one).
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:06 pm

Here's a question, if Affleck chooses not to direct his solo Batman film, who is everybody's choice to step behind the camera? I would love to see Del Toro or Raimi do a Batman film.

Also the new animated Batman: Killing Joke looks very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKOh4NvA_VU
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:54 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:James Wan is a GREAT director and I have high hopes for Aquaman. James Wan has gone from a student filmmaker (Saw 1) to an important Hollywood player. I've enjoyed pretty much every film he's made (Wan's underrated Death Sentence is a better Punisher movie than the actual one).

I'm going to have to check that out. Some good actors in that one.
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:58 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Here's a question, if Affleck chooses not to direct his solo Batman film, who is everybody's choice to step behind the camera?

Matt Reeves (Dawn of/War for the Planet of the Apes) would be cool, but he's probably too busy.
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:19 am

Good call, TNC and it's the reason why I couldn't be more optimistic. The DCEU and its slate got some killer talent. Regardless of what people think about Snyder, he's not the only one taking the reigns here. That's important because Snyder obviously is a director not designed for everybody to take to. He's at his best as a visual director and I appreciate him for that.

Another good call on Matt Reeves, v. Though, I brought him up for the next solo Supes film! JLP2 is going to be interesting as far as director goes. Depending on how JLP1 is recieved, it will probably be between Snyder or Miller. Miller would be a nice choice for Green Lantern Corpse as well. I'll say:

Batman: Affleck
JLP2: Snyder
Superman: Miller
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:35 am

Director James Wan says ‘Aquaman’ will be fun and badass
.."and I think Aquaman is a character that a lot of people have made fun of over the years, and I just think it’s fun to show a really different, cool, badass side to this character. But at the same time, let’s not forget to have fun with it.”

http://batman-news.com/2016/03/28/aquam ... james-wan/
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:41 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Another good call on Matt Reeves, v. Though, I brought him up for the next solo Supes film!

He could do both! :lol: Seriously, he's moved from up-and-comer to dude-who-can-bring-it.

Ben should direct The Batman, but not if it means he has to tone down the action. I want another warehouse fight, just 12 times as long. :lol: :lol: :lol:
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:15 am

The Flash Cameo Explained - Batman v Superman (it gets good at 3:18)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKryvj0aBsw
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:30 am

Is that connected to the Screen Rant article posted today?

http://screenrant.com/batman-v-superman-knightmare-not-dream/

Oliva doesn’t defend the director from that side of the conversation, but implies that complaints of the sequence “not making sense” or not belonging in the movie are out of line. He stops short of predicting who that character being teased has to be – leaving Darkseid or one of his colleagues as the most likely fan-suggested answer – leaving Zack Snyder to decide what’s being hinted at, and how these scenes will be worked into those films yet to be made.

We already knew it wasn't a "dream," but nice to see it confirmed.
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:59 am

Superhero Fandom is Ruining the Golden Age of Comic Book Movies

http://screenrant.com/comic-book-movie- ... ce=SR-FB-P
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:39 pm

Hey look, YoungJRNYfan...as a chick. This is the category where I fall:

Thank You Batman v Superman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNR5GoaHka0
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby Abitaman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:17 am

Warner brothers has bumped Wonder Woman to the first week of June, and added 2 new films to their list of releases. One in 2018 and one 2019. Names of movies not released yet. Yep, looks like they are hurting. :shock:
Maybe one of the new films is a Batman solo while the other is a Superman solo. Would be cool.
Last edited by Abitaman on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Monker » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:27 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Superhero Fandom is Ruining the Golden Age of Comic Book Movies

The bottom line is BvS is not a good movie and the response reflects that. It has nothing to do with competition with Marvel. It has nothing to do with people expecting to see a "Marvelesque" movie. It has nothing to do with Marvel fans beating up DC.

It is the simple truth that the first 2/3 of the movie was screwed up. It is boring. It is preachy. Worst of all, it is full of boring politics in the middle one of the craziest real life political years ever. Then add on top of it a miscast Lex who is annoying that you just don't care to watch or hear, and you have a screwed up movie, every bit as messed up as the movies DC fans critique. In fact, I would say it is even more screwed up because the writing itself is just horrid. It's not "dark" to have some guy climb a statue to graffiti it with "False God"....it's just dumb and an attempt at "shock drama" that FAILED. This type of thing happens over and over again in BVS. Then to top it all off, there is barely any action within that time. So, it's BORING, and what it did try to do in replace of the action DOESN'T WORK.

IMO, you guys are trying to make this into a "Marvel fans" issue because you want so badly to "catch up" to what Marvel has accomplished. You wanted to do it in ONE FILM, which is impossible. You don't want to admit that this is a worse movie than Green Lantern, because to do so would mean admitting DC failed to do what they wanted to do with BvS, catch up to Marvel.

Bad writing and storytelling is where BvS failed. It's not a failure of the audience to "get it" or the Marvel fans being overly critical. It's simply a bad movie...CBM or not.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:58 am

Monker wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:Superhero Fandom is Ruining the Golden Age of Comic Book Movies

It has nothing to do with competition with Marvel. IMO, you guys are trying to make this into a "Marvel fans" issue because you want so badly to "catch up" to what Marvel has accomplished.

Please. I can care less about the fan-rage "competition" with Marvel so..

YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:08 am

Abitaman wrote:Warner brothers has bumped Wonder Woman to the first week of June, and added 2 new films to their list of releases. One in 2018 and one 2019. Names of movies not released yet. Yep, looks like they are hurting. :shock:
Maybe one of the new films is a Batman solo while the other is a Superman solo. Would be cool.

Just might be. Lots of speculating that one of those IS The Batman.
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:11 am

If one of those films ISN'T The Batman then I will suck dick for coke; Bob Sagget/Half Baked-style. I'll do eet!
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:27 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:47 am

Monker wrote:You don't want to admit that this is a worse movie than Green Lantern, because to do so would mean admitting DC failed to do what they wanted to do with BvS, catch up to Marvel.

Green Lantern, to me, was a pretty straight-forward hero origin movie. I enjoyed it, tho I realize most people hate it with a passion. BvS feels like there was 'too many cooks in the kitchen' and it tries to be too many things and isn't particularly good at any of them.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:21 pm

The tastes in this thread is the most interesting. Fascinating, really. Personally, I gut-wrenched and belly-ached my entire way through Green Lantern. Spider-Man 3 was the ONLY movie that currently holds the title for me as a walk-out champion. Green Lantern was damn close. I would have if it wasn't for the fact that my wife and I were still having the pre-Martial "date nights" at the time so it was worth having the typical weekend as an excuse to take her out.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:06 pm

Updated DC Extended Universe Movie slate:

Man of Steel - June 14th, 2013 [x]

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice - March 25th, 2016 [x]

Suicide Squad - August 5, 2016

Wonder Woman - June 2, 2017

Justice League: Part One - November 17, 2017

The Flash - March 16, 2018

Aquaman - July 27, 2018