Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice THREAD

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice THREAD

Postby Monker » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:48 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote:You don't want to admit that this is a worse movie than Green Lantern, because to do so would mean admitting DC failed to do what they wanted to do with BvS, catch up to Marvel.

Green Lantern, to me, was a pretty straight-forward hero origin movie. I enjoyed it, tho I realize most people hate it with a passion. BvS feels like there was 'too many cooks in the kitchen' and it tries to be too many things and isn't particularly good at any of them.

I agree about Green Lantern. To me, it's no better or worse than the first Thor movie.

BvS feels that way because Snyder had too much he had to do prior to Doomsday showing up. He had to:
Explain why Batman is all grumpy towards Superman, and show him as being tormented.
Paint Superman as a "false God"....and somehow show him being tormented.
Introduce Lex.
Introduce Wonder Woman
And, somehow add "action" into all of this.

He somewhat succeeded with Batman.

He failed with Superman. The political crap could be removed and it really would not have changed the story...Holly Hunter could be cut from the movie and her character would not have been missed. Being tormented by Batman would have been enough...but since he didn't concentrate on it, it failed, too.

Lex is a complete failure of a character. Give him a big painted smile and he would have been a better Joker. All of his menacing insanity came across as a nerd with Alzheimer's. He is simply an annoying and unbelievable character.

The ONLY success was introducing Wonder Woman.
There was barely any real action prior to Batman confronting Superman...and that didn't last long enough.

So, he gave us a bunch of scenes that fail and feel very cut up and slammed together with no meaning behind them. Since you didn't buy into any of it, it was frustrating, or boring, or confusing, and all of these other descriptions from fans. It was a simple failure in the story telling. It failed because there was too much story to tell in the first two acts and not enough time to truly do it justice...and what he did do, he didn't do a good job with.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Abitaman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:06 pm

Read also, that Warner brothers is cutting back on some of it's other films to concentrate on the DC universe, Lego, Harry Potter and something else that slips my mind at the moment. They said although they were disappointed in the reviews of BVS, they are happy with the earnings and stand behind the DCEU and the people running it.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:54 pm

Monker has talked more about the DCEU in 2 posts than he has Marvel in 5 pages of the Marvel thread :lol: He clearly feels the urge to beat BvS into the dirt and remind us of how bad the movie is to counteract how right we were all along in where BvS needed to succeed the most, one to where it came through. BvS is a platform movie, so to give the studio confidence to franchise's like Wonder Woman was probably the biggest win they can manage. Batman will always sell. Superman will always sell. Wonder Woman was the test. I'm sorry you're disappointed it's all working out Monker :lol: But you're just going to have to deal, son.

They said although they were disappointed in the reviews of BVS, they are happy with the earnings and stand behind the DCEU and the people running it.

Yep. Check out the titles of each article, though. Smear campaigns have really savaged BvS since the beginning. This movie has had no positive momentum since it was announced but it's great for the studio to recognize that and trust in their plan (to much of the haters despair. :lol: ) Though the smear campaign continues, the inside content of the articles itself acknowledge WB's plan and the potential of George Miller coming onboard as a producer (we've known this awhile ago, but of course the author's make it seem it's because of the backlash from BvS. It's been in place forever now.)

It's really all white noise and hot water once JLP1 shoots Monday. The worst to happen is shuffling around the slate. That'ts it. You can't show a more higher token of confidence than moving the Wonder Woman franchise UP. That's such an enormous win right there for the studio and was one of the keys to the DCEU's engine.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby Abitaman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:54 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
Yep. Check out the titles of each article, though. Smear campaigns have really savaged BvS since the beginning. This movie has had no positive momentum since it was announced but it's great for the studio to recognize that and trust in their plan (to much of the haters despair. :lol: ) Though the smear campaign continues, the inside content of the articles itself acknowledge WB's plan and the potential of George Miller coming onboard as a producer (we've known this awhile ago, but of course the author's make it seem it's because of the backlash from BvS. It's been in place forever now.)

I know, they all act like Warner is trying to save the franchise with Miller. Miller was connected with the JLA for over 10 years now. I have no idea if the reporters are too lazy to look up the facts, or just don't care and write something false to get people to read it.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:59 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
It's really all white noise and hot water once JLP1 shoots Monday. The worst to happen is shuffling around the slate. That'ts it. You can't show a more higher token of confidence than moving the Wonder Woman franchise UP. That's such an enormous win right there for the studio and was one of the keys to the DCEU's engine.

Zach maybe a comic nerd, and knows what is going on, but the studio is NOT riding everything on him, like most people think. The have trusted him to get things started, which he has done (and done a good job, IMO) DC has a lot of things set in motion with different people. Each movie will have a different feel to it, just like the Marvel movies. I just hope they don't fall into the Marvel mode of action comedy, or let the villain be your opposite. The last one there has really made Marvel movies boring.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:38 am

A few posts that popped up on my Face Book newsfeed this morning that's telling:

This post was from a dude on one of my Private Sports Pages:

Monker, PM me and I'll give you this guy's information so you can contact him and remind him how wrong he is and how much he was really supposed to be bored with it and hate it. Blasphemy he could have been into the whole movie.

Here's another:

BaaaaAAAahhh...BaaaAAAaahhhh :lol: Cha-ching for the DVD sales, though.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:59 am

Hot DAMN this is insane. The attention to detail Snyder lives by with his craft. Every inch of screen time was very well thought out:

Just look at this beauty: a comparison of how the scenes of man of steel and batman v superman fit perfectly
www.facebook.com/MexiComicOficial/video ... 9/?fref=nf
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:35 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Hot DAMN this is insane. The attention to detail Snyder lives by with his craft. Every inch of screen time was very well thought out:

Just look at this beauty: a comparison of how the scenes of man of steel and batman v superman fit perfectly
http://www.facebook.com/MexiComicOficia ... 9/?fref=nf

Superb. Probably the only two movies I've ever seen that do this and line up perfectly.

The more I see things like this, the more I want to tell Zack "Don't worry, it's not you, it's them. They'll come around. Eventually."

:lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:38 am

Abitaman wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:

Zach maybe a comic nerd, and knows what is going on, but the studio is NOT riding everything on him, like most people think. The have trusted him to get things started, which he has done (and done a good job, IMO) DC has a lot of things set in motion with different people. Each movie will have a different feel to it, just like the Marvel movies. I just hope they don't fall into the Marvel mode of action comedy, or let the villain be your opposite. The last one there has really made Marvel movies boring.

You should've seen the one guy who theorized that Disney would end up owning WB in 10 years because of BvS.

Shit. Some people really need to stop sniffing the PVC glue. :lol:
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:09 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Image

WTF!! He liked BvS better than AoU?? THE NERVE!! I'll have words with him!
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:03 am

Monker wrote:BvS feels that way because Snyder had too much he had to do prior to Doomsday showing up. He had to:
Explain why Batman is all grumpy towards Superman, and show him as being tormented.

Opening scene which aligns itself with the finale of MoS. Done. No muss, no fuss.

Monker wrote:Paint Superman as a "false God"....and somehow show him being tormented.

It's not that complicated. Lex was doing a lot of shit behind the scenes that the movie didn't feel like spelling out for you in exhaustive detail because it's not directed by Joss. It wasn't necessary.

Monker wrote:Introduce Lex.

Done. Didn't that long to get the gist he wasn't a good guy, either. (Duh.)

Monker wrote:Introduce Wonder Woman

Easiest part of the movie.

Monker wrote:And, somehow add "action" into all of this.

The action was awesome, yep!

Monker wrote:He somewhat succeeded with Batman.

What's not to get about Batman? In case you were studying your popcorn ("Didn't I tell her light butter?"), there was a year-and-a-half (per the text on the screen) between Black Zero and the events of BvS as depicted.

Monker wrote:He failed with Superman. The political crap could be removed and it really would not have changed the story...Holly Hunter could be cut from the movie and her character would not have been missed. Being tormented by Batman would have been enough...but since he didn't concentrate on it, it failed, too.

How could you cut her character when her arc culminated in one of the biggest F.U. moments ever? (Hint: peach tea.) Lex's assistant Mercy (whom he mercilessly allowed to die in a massive explosion for kicks) was even looking for him, because he hadn't filled his seat. Superman wasn't even allowed to speak for himself. The lead lining of the case below the seat concealed the explosives. Superman stood there in a firestorm, realizing he was powerless in spite of having godlike powers. And you think he wasn't tormented?

Monker wrote:Lex is a complete failure of a character. Give him a big painted smile and he would have been a better Joker. All of his menacing insanity came across as a nerd with Alzheimer's. He is simply an annoying and unbelievable character.

So at no time did you think he was devious, sinister, two-faced, self-absorbed, narcissistic...or just straight-up evil?

Wait...did you actually go see this movie? :lol:

Monker wrote:The ONLY success was introducing Wonder Woman.

Well, glad you like her.

Monker wrote:There was barely any real action prior to Batman confronting Superman...and that didn't last long enough.

Action in the beginning with the reprisal of BZ from the viewpoint of Bruce Wayne. First encounter with Batman rescuing girls from a trafficker. The first big chase where we see the new Batmobile in action.

Did you need that much more? I knew the payoff would be huge, which it was: three major consecutive action sequences. Boom. Boom. Boom. Single best Batman fight ever. Some of the best Super-action ever (and many of Superman's moves were direct responses to complaints about MoS). Wonder Woman. 'Nuff said. It was off the chain. It was like caffeine in an IV drip.

Monker wrote:>:)So, he gave us a bunch of scenes that fail and feel very cut up and slammed together with no meaning behind them. Since you didn't buy into any of it, it was frustrating, or boring, or confusing, and all of these other descriptions from fans. It was a simple failure in the story telling. It failed because there was too much story to tell in the first two acts and not enough time to truly do it justice...and what he did do, he didn't do a good job with.

I disagree. In his review, John Scalzi states while the story jumps back and forth, he had no problem following it. Everyone I saw it with, and who I've spoken with had no problems, either. It seems the "critics" are the ones who set that pot to boil and simply let it get hot to the point the lid blew off. After two weekends of nonstop negative commentary on the film, I can't help but wonder if certain people had an agenda from the very beginning.

FWIW, the theatrical cut was originally to be 3HRS long. Maybe you'll like it better. It'll be on the DVD release.
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:05 am

verslibre wrote:
Wait...did you actually go see this movie? :lol:

HA!
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:23 am

Monker wrote:All of his menacing insanity came across as a nerd with Alzheimer's. He is simply an annoying and unbelievable character.

Hilariously accurate. :lol:
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:26 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Though the smear campaign continues, the inside content of the articles itself acknowledge WB's plan and the potential of George Miller coming onboard as a producer (we've known this awhile ago, but of course the author's make it seem it's because of the backlash from BvS. It's been in place forever now.)

In hindsight, maybe WB should've just went with Miller's original version of JL. From what I've read, Miller gets a producing credit on the new JL movie regardless if he is actively involved. Hopefully, WB/DC convinces him to do something from the DC staple.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:44 am

That would be veddy kewl if George helmed one of the movies. Who knows, maybe he'll end up doing Justice League Part 2.
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:47 am

Miller is about as automatic as it comes with helming a DC film. It just depends on what he wants to do and when he wants to do it. The perfect fits would be Justice League Part 2, Green Lantern Corps and Superman. Those, I would bet, would be his 3 top choices he would want to do. Maybe throw Justice League Dark in there if it comes out of development hell.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:11 pm

5 dumbest and most frustrating complaints about Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice
Ever since Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was released, think pieces have been popping up everywhere moaning about perceived plot holes and mistakes. These are the five most infuriating examples.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs ... -v-a132841
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:08 pm

JASON MOMOA TALKS BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN BACKLASH; COMPARES AQUAMAN TO IRON MAN

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/j ... n-iron-man
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby Abitaman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:51 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:5 dumbest and most frustrating complaints about Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice
Ever since Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was released, think pieces have been popping up everywhere moaning about perceived plot holes and mistakes. These are the five most infuriating examples.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs ... -v-a132841

Weird, everyone of those scenes made since to me in the movie, even though I found the Martha scene funny (which it was not suppose to be) I got it. I got it all.
People need to think things through, it is getting where everything has to be spelled out, people do not want to think anymore.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:53 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:JASON MOMOA TALKS BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN BACKLASH; COMPARES AQUAMAN TO IRON MAN

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/j ... n-iron-man

He has has know about this for almost 4 years and had to keep his mouth shut. After 4 minutes I would have been shouting it out!
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:54 pm

By the way, I am finally glad there is something to talk about on this board again, Styx and Journey board has been boring for way to long.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:06 pm

Abitaman wrote:By the way, I am finally glad there is something to talk about on this board again, Styx and Journey board has been boring for way to long.

Exactly. Man, there were times where a little bit of sadness and despair took over once this board died (once Deano passed, so did the heart of these boards. RIP Deano!) MR was always my go-to for 10 years. Hell, the NFL thread even died an agonizing death.

Movies are subjective and we got some passionate nerds in here that I highly respect (okay, except Monker. Just kidding buddy! :lol: Maybe :wink: ) and the Man of Steel thread/BvS thread has been one of the most active when it comes to entertainment and healthy banter back and forth. It's a healthy topic full of different viewpoints, tastes and opinions. I've had a blast these past few years. It's sad the rest of the board died, but atleast we got this. I'll take 1;2 threads over 0! There's a great handful of personalities in this thread. We have good chemistry.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:07 am

KEVIN SMITH Says GEOFF JOHNS Told Him BEN AFFLECK Solo BATMAN Movie is Real
http://www.newsarama.com/28745-batman-movie-by-affleck-johns-confirmed-by-kevin-smith.html
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby Abitaman » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:21 am

A very good read about the DC universe. #2 kind of hits it on the head and could explain a lot to people about Superman.

http://www.newsarama.com/24132-the-10-b ... verse.html

Gives a lot to look forward too.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:02 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:KEVIN SMITH Says GEOFF JOHNS Told Him BEN AFFLECK Solo BATMAN Movie is Real
http://www.newsarama.com/28745-batman-movie-by-affleck-johns-confirmed-by-kevin-smith.html

When they make it official, I'm making a deposit in the spank bank!
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:09 am

v, it's not going to be titled "The Batman" though.

I think I read that they are going to call it "The Batman: Warehouse Fighting"

Instant billion; opening night :lol:
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:17 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:I think I read that they are going to call it "The Batman: Warehouse Fighting"

Don't you even tease! You know I'll watch 2 hrs of that! :lol:

It'll be like Game of Death, only Batman will ascend 6 levels, one at a time, fighting deadlier opponents!

And why won't he just drop through the skylight or nail 'em with the Batwing? Because he's BATMAN!! :lol: :lol:
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:33 am

verslibre wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:I think I read that they are going to call it "The Batman: Warehouse Fighting"

Don't you even tease! You know I'll watch 2 hrs of that! :lol:

It'll be like Game of Death, only Batman will ascend 6 levels, one at a time, fighting deadlier opponents!

And why won't he just drop through the skylight or nail 'em with the Batwing? Because he's SHARTMAN!! :lol: :lol:

Fixed. :lol:
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:48 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:07 am

Just got back from seeing again for the third time, and noticed something else that I overlooked the other times. The ping ping sound Luther is making at the end of the movie is actually the sound of the mother box, never noticed it before, it gets better each time I see it.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

PreviousNext

Return to Death By Stereo