Steve Walsh to leave Kansas...

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Steve Walsh to leave Kansas...

Postby johnroxx » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:03 am

It'll be interesting to see if this re-opens the door for Jon Elefante...

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/steve-walsh-kansas/

;^)
johnroxx
8 Track

Re: Steve Walsh to leave Kansas...

Postby trekman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:13 pm

No reason as to why? :(
trekman
45 RPM

Postby TageRyche » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:06 pm

trekman wrote:No reason as to why? :(

There was nothing given as to why he was leaving in the initial release.
TageRyche
LP

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:09 am

Walsh has had drug issues in the past, so I'm hoping it's not a relapse. It's been a few years since I've seen Kansas in concert. I think the last time I saw them was somewhere around 2003 or 04 maybe? It seemed to be that Steve was sounding the best he has in years, though I haven't seen Kansas live in awhile.

I would LOVE to see John Elefante and Kerry Livgrin back in Kansas. I don't know if Elefante would want to tour with a secular band since he's a Christian artist, but who knows? Same with Livgrin, although he did help write a lot of their tunes on the last album they released (gosh that's been 12 years ago now!)
“Do or do not... there is no try.”
Yoda
8 Track

Postby scarab » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:32 am

I am sure they could go on with Greer singing, he actually sings better than Walsh these days.
Its a bummer though, one of the few classic rock bands to have their original singer.

Wish he would have given more notice, and they could have done a night with Kansas farewell tour.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby TageRyche » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:19 pm

The statement Steve Walsh put out that was in the MR newsfeed was about as uninformative as humanly possible.
TageRyche
LP

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:43 am

TageRyche wrote:The statement Steve Walsh put out that was in the MR newsfeed was about as uninformative as humanly possible.

LOL! Tell me about it! I think fans would have accepted something like, "I just feel I've accomplished everything I have set out to do as a singer and musician in one of the greatest rock bands to ever be assembled. Now, I just want to sit back and enjoy a slower paced life with my friends and family." I think we all could accept that. Granted, I understand if it's none of our business, but why even make a statement about misinformation and then not say anything to clear it up? Might as well just left it as it was.

Now, we're left thinking, has he relapsed? Has he blown his voice out? Was there some inner band turmoil? Does this mean a new singer (other than Billy Greer), and possibly new album? Does this mean the existing band continues touring behind the classics and nothing more?

I love Billy's voice. He can hit all those high notes that Walsh couldn't hit anymore. I love the Seventh Key stuff he's done with members of Kansas. But, I just can't picture him being the front man. If they are to continue, I think they need somebody else being lead vocalist.

So the question is, does Kansas go the route as Foreigner and Journey and hire someone who sounds just like Walsh, or just let Greer handle the vocals?
Yoda
8 Track

Postby JohnH » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:15 pm

Checked out their schedule, they are playing three hours north of here Friday, in Santa Maria at the fair. The show is actually free with fair admission. I'm getting off work early to go up there, it's been ten years since my last Kansas show. I think Steve's drug issues are well in the past, he still sounds good, and wouldn't if he was high. Probably just burnt out and sick of the road. Robbie burned out too and had to stop.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:49 pm

JohnH wrote:Checked out their schedule, they are playing three hours north of here Friday, in Santa Maria at the fair. The show is actually free with fair admission. I'm getting off work early to go up there, it's been ten years since my last Kansas show. I think Steve's drug issues are well in the past, he still sounds good, and wouldn't if he was high. Probably just burnt out and sick of the road. Robbie burned out too and had to stop.

Robbie had also gotten sick, although I can't say that his sickness was the cause of him leaving the band. Seems like I remember an announcement that he was in the hospital for something. Can you give us an update after Friday? I'd love to hear your take on Walsh's voice. Seems like I saw a You Tube video of a recent concert - Carry on Wayward Son. Can't always look at You Tube to paint you an accurate picture, but Walsh sounded pretty tired and just didn't sound very good on the vocals.
Yoda
8 Track

Postby Starrider » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:24 am

It has been posted on the official Kansas Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/KansasBand?fref=nf) that the new singer/keyboard player will be Ronnie Platt.

For those of you who don't know the name, he was the lead vocalist of Shooting Star after Kevin Chalfant left them. Ronnie has been singing in a Chicagoland-area cover band called ARRA for a few years.

Here he is singing Point of Know Return with ARRA. Crappy mix/YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FeKVQGAPa4
Starrider
45 RPM

Postby scarab » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:48 pm

oh great, another kareoke singer fronting a classic rock band. :roll:
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:44 am

He sounds pretty good to me.
Yoda
8 Track

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:32 am

This guy can really sing. I've seen him many times around The Chicago Area.
STYX new Album coming in 2017
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby JohnH » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:29 pm

Show on Friday was great, and I think for 63 years old Steve Walsh sounds fantastic. He hit that high note on Carry On at the end of the show and it sounded good. Definitely leaving too soon and isn't making a fool of himself. Finally got to see them with Ragsdale on violin who has great chops and stage presence. Phil on drums is 64 years old but looks about 40, he has a snare drum mounted to his left he sometimes hits at the same time as his other snare, never have seen that before. Still hasn't lost a beat as a drummer, one of the best. Rich Williams is so underrated and is a great guitarist, now using Fractal Audio Axe FX and no amps onstage! Billy Greer as always is great on bass and vocals. The mix and sound were perfect, and I got to walk right up to the front of the stage! The clock is winding down to Steve's last show in Iowa August 16. t's been ten years since my last Kansas show, wish I'd gone to more. The new singer seems good, but I'm really disappointed Elefante isn't coming back, probably doesn't want to. It was worth it driving 400 miles round trip for this show.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:03 am

JohnH wrote:Show on Friday was great, and I think for 63 years old Steve Walsh sounds fantastic. He hit that high note on Carry On at the end of the show and it sounded good. Definitely leaving too soon and isn't making a fool of himself. Finally got to see them with Ragsdale on violin who has great chops and stage presence. Phil on drums is 64 years old but looks about 40, he has a snare drum mounted to his left he sometimes hits at the same time as his other snare, never have seen that before. Still hasn't lost a beat as a drummer, one of the best. Rich Williams is so underrated and is a great guitarist, now using Fractal Audio Axe FX and no amps onstage! Billy Greer as always is great on bass and vocals. The mix and sound were perfect, and I got to walk right up to the front of the stage! The clock is winding down to Steve's last show in Iowa August 16. t's been ten years since my last Kansas show, wish I'd gone to more. The new singer seems good, but I'm really disappointed Elefante isn't coming back, probably doesn't want to. It was worth it driving 400 miles round trip for this show.

Glad you enjoyed the concert. The last couple of Kansas concerts I went to were not disappointments either. Kansas knows how to put on a good show, and you can tell they really enjoy playing live. Glad Walsh still sounded good live. I do remember watching a recent You Tube video of them, and it must had been an off night. Walsh didn't sound that great - but then again, it was You tube!

Have to say though, this Ronnie Pratt dude sounds great! I watched a few videos of him and his band, and he shouldn't be a disappointment at all. I think he fits the Kansas mold. As for John Elefante, I was a bit disappointed that he didn't get back in Kansas, but he was asked by the band. John turned it down. He didn't want to leave the Christian music scene. I think Kansas got the right guy. Seems like I remember reading where they talked about new music with Ronnie. Makes me wonder if part of the reason why Walsh left was that he was no longer interested in doing new music, he just wanted to tour behind the hits. Me, personally, I want to hear new Kansas music. I wouldn't mind another album that's in the vein of something from the Power album or Vinyl confessions.
Yoda
8 Track

Postby Journey Mom » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:16 am

I know Ronnie well from seeing him in ARRA for a couple of years. He's got an amazing voice and is one of the nicest guys I've ever had the pleasure to meet. I'm going to miss hearing him sing a lot. He is more than qualified to take over singing duties for Kansas. Give him a chance, and you won't be disappointed. Also, his name is Ronnie PLatt, not Pratt.
Journey Mom
Ol' 78

Postby scarab » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:53 am

while Ronnie does an okay Karaoke, I doubt he can sing the deep cut Kansas songs anywhere near a 60+ year Walsh.
His songs I have heard from Shooting Star were terrible.

They could have spent a little time to find an established singer, but they went the Journey route and picked a sound a like.

Its really sad that Elefante said no. that would have brought me back.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby conversationpc » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:20 am

scarab wrote:oh great, another kareoke singer fronting a classic rock band. :roll:

Plaitt was in Shooting Star which, while certainly not a widely known act, did have some mainstream success in the early 80s, so he's hardly a karaoke singer.
My blog = Dave's Dominion

conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby JohnH » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:32 am

Found this on Elefante, yes they asked and he said no. Major bummer !!!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/john-ele ... s-reunion/
JohnH
8 Track

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:54 am

I'll add that I had never heard of Ronnie until last night right here. After hearing the Point of Know Return link that someone posted above, I heard potential, so explored further. Dude has a great and possibly an amazing voice. When he brings it, it's aces, but he take some plays off to use a baseball terminology. That's probably because he's a full time truck driver and is just doing this on weekends and local festivals. With some focus/coaching, and doing nothing but full time singing for Kansas I think the dude can pull it off. He's got the chops and potential. Stage presence isn't an issue in Kansas so much, (and he has some), plus they say Ronnie is also going to play keys and every vid I watched on YT he was being a frontman not a keys player. So we'll see how that plays out, maybe others can attest to his key playing ability.

(The Keyboard player for his band ARRA does an awesome Boston "Foreplay/Long Time" bit everyone should check out).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTAP2NxE110
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby rsimpson » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:40 am

Wouldn't have minded seeing Elefante back in the fold, but he admitted in a interview that he is not the best of keyboard players. Had issues with singing and playing keys at the same time. Would have required hiring another keyboard player.
rsimpson
Ol' 78

Postby AR » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:10 pm

Elefante live 2012 - Point of Know Return

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUw_70yS5Mk

Sounds great
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby AR » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:20 pm

Foreigner should call Elefante if Kelly Hansen ever leaves.

Cold As Ice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDqO7nEUkQ8
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby mrsromek » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:30 pm

With the lyrics on a podium in front of him? No thanks.
mrsromek
45 RPM

Postby AR » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:07 pm

mrsromek wrote:With the lyrics on a podium in front of him? No thanks.

He's not in the band there. Hasn't been in years. He turned Kansas down anyway.

However no thanks to the new guy they did hire with the stage presence of a saltine cracker. Voice isn't bad though, just would have made things more valid had they talked Elefante into it.

AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:33 am

AR wrote:Foreigner should call Elefante if Kelly Hansen ever leaves.

Cold As Ice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDqO7nEUkQ8

Great cover. Thanks.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Yoda » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:25 am

I love Elefante's voice, and I agree, if he had accepted the invitation back, it would things a little more credibility. However, I'm willing to give this Ronnie Platt (sorry I was thinking Pratt for some reason) a chance. He does have a very good voice. I don't think stage presence is a big thing for Kansas. Back in the old days, Walsh used to do handstands on his keyboard - but I haven't seen him do that in the last 20 years.
Yoda
8 Track

Postby conversationpc » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:12 am

rsimpson wrote:Wouldn't have minded seeing Elefante back in the fold, but he admitted in a interview that he is not the best of keyboard players. Had issues with singing and playing keys at the same time. Would have required hiring another keyboard player.

Yeah, and those old Livgren keyboard parts aren't always the easiest to play, either, much less trying to sing at the same time.

conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby conversationpc » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:13 am

Yoda wrote:I love Elefante's voice, and I agree, if he had accepted the invitation back, it would things a little more credibility. However, I'm willing to give this Ronnie Platt (sorry I was thinking Pratt for some reason) a chance. He does have a very good voice. I don't think stage presence is a big thing for Kansas. Back in the old days, Walsh used to do handstands on his keyboard - but I haven't seen him do that in the last 20 years.

I think he quit doing that about the same time he got off drugs. Seriously. :D

conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby RPM » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:44 am

Heard Elefante sing last year with his brothers band at Emofest. He sounds great. Ronnie will have no trouble
With this gig, he's a great singer and back in the day was one of the few in the Chicago area that pull off
The Journey and Boston material and sound great doing it.
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
8 Track

Next

Return to Death By Stereo