RIP John Spinks

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

RIP John Spinks

Postby ebake02 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:43 am

John Spinks lost his battle with liver cancer.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/outfield ... inks-dies/
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Re: RIP John Spinks

Postby No Surprize » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:40 pm

So very sad. 60 is way to young to go. They wrote some great tunes that you sung out loud to. "Josie's on a vacation far away, come around and talk it over". "Think I might get lucky tonight, Let my hair down get a little crazy, yeah". He's finally free of the pain. RIP and thanks for the music.
"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby FormerDJMike » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:24 am

Sad news, in the 80's The Outfield was my favorite band. Their last release "Replay" was excellent.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby ztyxlynne » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:37 am

RIP John. Always loved there music. Rockeye was a good album also. My wife and I saw them maybe 10 years ago here in Milwaukee. Good who. Godspeed John.
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby Seven Wishes » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:22 pm

The Outfield was one of the most underrated bands of its era, producing a highly polished yet unique styling - all the more so because they were always a three-piece band.

I saw them at least a half dozen times over the years, and they never failed to impress. Their music has and always will be a huge part of my life. Some of their more obscure tracks were both touching and inspirational, although most of that material was never in the mainstream. "Broken Heart" and "Rainbow's End" come to mind.

Most importantly, John Spinks was a truly gentle and sensitive man - I met the band several times in the 2000's, and he and Tony Lewis and Alan Jackman went out of their way to talk to their fans, often for a couple of hours after the show. You will be missed. Thanks for the music and the memories, mate. This is devastating.
Seven Wishes
Ol' 78

Postby Majestic » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:48 pm

Sad news. The Outfield was a great band, and I really enjoyed watching them open for Journey on ROR tour. The whole band was great, and John was a very good singer, bassist, and performer, who seemed to be a very genuinely good person.
Majestic
8 Track

Postby slucero » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:34 am

Majestic wrote:Sad news. The Outfield was a great band, and I really enjoyed watching them open for Journey on ROR tour. The whole band was great, and John was a very good singer, bassist, and performer, who seemed to be a very genuinely good person.

John played guitar... Tony is the bass player..

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Seven Wishes » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:48 pm

Hard to believe it's been more than two years. Never forgotten. Brilliant band.
Seven Wishes
Ol' 78

Postby Ehwmatt » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:04 am

Seven Wishes wrote:Hard to believe it's been more than two years. Never forgotten. Brilliant band.

Indeed. John was almost like Neal Schon meets The Edge. Really great melodic player who wrote some solid riffs like Neal (in his prime, not current live shred-happy Neal), but he also had a pretty unique atmospheric guitar sound like The Edge. Love The Outfield.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Seven Wishes » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:13 am

Seven Wishes
Ol' 78

Return to Death By Stereo