My new instrumental song for you...

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

My new instrumental song for you...

Postby G.I.Jim » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:46 am

Hey everyone, long time no type! I hope you're all doing well. For those of you who still frequent the board, here's my newest song. I wrote it last night and it's the first thing I've written in well over a year. This past year has been a really rough one for me personally and I've only touched my keys probably twice in the last year. I hadn't even unpacked them from my last gig (last Labor Day) until a month or so ago.

Anyways, I felt really inspired last night and this song is what came out. I just hit the record button and started playing. I added a cello and some strings to it after I completed it. It's a pretty somber song that pretty much reflects my life over the last year. It does pick up towards the end (as my life has). I call it "Solitude". I hope you like it! Take care. :-)

https://www.hightail.com/dl?phi_action= ... 0200000000
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3

Re: My new instrumental song for you...

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:36 am

G.I.Jim wrote:Hey everyone, long time no type! I hope you're all doing well. For those of you who still frequent the board, here's my newest song. I wrote it last night and it's the first thing I've written in well over a year. This past year has been a really rough one for me personally and I've only touched my keys probably twice in the last year. I hadn't even unpacked them from my last gig (last Labor Day) until a month or so ago.

Anyways, I felt really inspired last night and this song is what came out. I just hit the record button and started playing. I added a cello and some strings to it after I completed it. It's a pretty somber song that pretty much reflects my life over the last year. It does pick up towards the end (as my life has). I call it "Solitude". I hope you like it! Take care. :-)

Listening. Very melancholy, brother. You're a great musician, Jimbo. I sure hope something comes your way where you can express your gift. What do you use to mix your music, Pro Tools?
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby G.I.Jim » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:24 pm

Rick wrote:
G.I.Jim wrote:Hey everyone, long time no type! I hope you're all doing well. For those of you who still frequent the board, here's my newest song. I wrote it last night and it's the first thing I've written in well over a year. This past year has been a really rough one for me personally and I've only touched my keys probably twice in the last year. I hadn't even unpacked them from my last gig (last Labor Day) until a month or so ago.

Listening. Very melancholy, brother. You're a great musician, Jimbo. I sure hope something comes your way where you can express your gift. What do you use to mix your music, Pro Tools?

Thank you Rick! For demos and stuff like this, I just use a big digital recorder (Korg D16XD), but for stuff like the Cold Heart album I use Logic Pro. I hope you're doing great! :D
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby G.I.Jim » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:34 am

Writing music is a funny thing. Sometimes (like with this song), I write what sounds awesome to me. I come back a day later and I'm thinking this is a pretty damn boring song. Lol!! You're ears change so much after stepping away from a song. It's the same in a recording studio. After mixing for 12 hours straight, you think you have the perfect mix. You come in the next day and think " damn this sounds like ASS!!". Lol!! Oh well.... :D
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:29 am

G.I.Jim wrote:
Rick wrote:

Thank you Rick! For demos and stuff like this, I just use a big digital recorder (Korg D16XD), but for stuff like the Cold Heart album I use Logic Pro. I hope you're doing great! :D

Doing well, thanks and thanks for the info.
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby JRNYMAN » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:06 am

Hey Jim,
Would love to listen to the sonmg but the link has expired. Can you repost it or perhaps send me a copy?

Steve
JRNYMAN
Cassette Tape

Postby G.I.Jim » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:14 am

Sure Steve! Here it is. I hope you like it! :-)

G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby JRNYMAN » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:08 pm

Damn Jim... that's really beautiful albeit somewhat somber. Is it just me or do I hear a little bit of older Elton here and there circa Goodbye Yellow Brick Road/Browndirt Cowboy.

I liked the flow and the chord progression as you stayed with diminished and minors - it's what really gives it that aire of sorrow to some extent. I kept expecting you to transition to a chorus with majors and 7ths but you stayed the course all the way through.
One can certainly feel the emotion and pain maybe? that was present when you composed it.

Again, beautiful and emotional.
And quit taking long breaks from your keyboard! You're an artist and need to let your craft flow express yourself and for you your medium is your keyboard.
My Mormon mother, ever the one to instill guilt whenever possible, used to tell me when I was a kid and didn't want to practice the piano, "God gave everyone their own special gift and yours is the ability to play the piano. He expects you to use it to share your music with the world. If you don't, he'll take it away one day".

Thanks for sharing, my brother!
JRNYMAN
Cassette Tape

Postby steveo777 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:43 pm

Sorry....off topic, but where the hell have you been Steve? Haven't even seen you on Facebook for quite awhile. Nice to hear from you and I hope all is well with you and your family!
steveo777
MP3

Postby G.I.Jim » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:57 pm

Thanks Steve! I really appreciate it. This is one of those songs that I didn't rehearse. I just sat down and hit the record button and that's what I came up with. Then i came back in and recorded the strings and cello. It's far from perfect, but is definitely telling of where I've been this year. I've been through more shit sandwiches this year than I have been the last 20 years combined. 2 surgeries (with one scheduled for next Wednesday), loss of 2 of my best friends in 1 day, job gone to hell and I start a new one on Monday, as well as dealing with depression and alcoholism. Been a shit year to say the least! :shock: :lol:

Anyways, I hope all is well with you. Great to see you on here! :wink:
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby JRNYMAN » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:48 pm

steveo777 wrote:Sorry....off topic, but where the hell have you been Steve? Haven't even seen you on Facebook for quite awhile. Nice to hear from you and I hope all is well with you and your family!

G.I.Jim wrote:Thanks Steve! I really appreciate it. This is one of those songs that I didn't rehearse. I just sat down and hit the record button and that's what I came up with. Then i came back in and recorded the strings and cello. It's far from perfect, but is definitely telling of where I've been this year. I've been through more shit sandwiches this year than I have been the last 20 years combined. 2 surgeries (with one scheduled for next Wednesday), loss of 2 of my best friends in 1 day, job gone to hell and I start a new one on Monday, as well as dealing with depression and alcoholism. Been a shit year to say the least! :shock: :lol:

Anyways, I hope all is well with you. Great to see you on here! :wink:

Awwww... thanks you guys! That's nice to hear. Sorry for the late reply. For some reason, this site refuses to send me email when people reply to threads I've posted in/subscribed to. Been that way for a couple of years.

Damn Jim, I'm so sorry to hear about the trials and trib's you've been through this past year. That's a lot to swallow no matter who and how stable you are. In times like these nothing beats a good support system which only comes from those who know and love you and from what I've learned about you over the years I've been around here, I know you have that in spades. One day at a time my brother and sometimes it's hour by hour. God speed my man!

Moving on....
Yeah, it's been quite some time since I've stopped by this old haunt. A little less than a year ago, I decided to close up my computer biz and do something I love and have done part-time for 20+ years: auto detailing. Business has been awesome right out of the gates. I put the word out to the many people who's vehicles, boats, RV's, etc., Ive serviced over the years that I had gone full time and asked them to tell their friends, which they did, backed up with raving reviews and BAM! I was booked 2 weeks out! I couldn't believe it. I keep telling myself the bubble is going to break here pretty soon and I'm sure it will now that the holidays are approaching but it's been fantastic.
As far as not being on Facebook..... yeah, I've just been too busy to do that.

You guys take care and we'll chat soon!

Steve
JRNYMAN
Cassette Tape

Return to Death By Stereo