Robin Williams Commits Suicide

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Robin Williams Commits Suicide

Postby Enigma869 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:11 am

Sad Stuff.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/08/11/robin-wil ... s-suicide/

Robin Williams has committed suicide.

The comedian killed himself in Tiburon, in Northern California.

According to the Marin County Sheriff's Office ... authorities found William's body inside his home. They say he was found unresponsive.

He was unconscious and not breathing and the coroner suspects suicide due to asphyxia.

Williams was last seen alive at his house at 10 PM Sunday night.

Williams went back to rehab last month to focus on his sobriety. We're told alcohol was an issue.

Williams struggled with cocaine and alcohol abuse in the early '80s but was sober for 20 years.

Williams was 63

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/08/11/robin-wil ... z3A805hXWD
John from Boston
Enigma869
Digital Audio Tape

Re: Robin Williams Commits Suicide

Postby Fact Finder » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:16 am

Just heard this on the news. Sad stuff.

Press representative for Robin Williams says he died this morning and 'has been battling severe depression of late' - @KilloughCNN
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby SF-Dano » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:17 am

Rest In Peace Robin. Thank you for so many smiles and laughs. Sad that such a funny man could suffer such depression.
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Postby AR » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:25 am

SF-Dano wrote:Rest In Peace Robin. Thank you for so many smiles and laughs. Sad that such a funny man could suffer such depression.

It seems that a lot of comedians suffer from depression. Part of what makes them funny is usually a very dark side.

Nanu nanu
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby slucero » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:32 am

fuck.

Depression is a killer...

Williams was one of my favorite people.. such a personable fellow... his humor came from such a childlike place...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:51 am

I heard this in the car an hour ago and did a double-take. I was like, "I did NOT just hear 'Robin Williams''...I know I misheard it."

Then came the news cascade a few moments later reiterating the report and the subsequent commentary. Damn. RIP.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:33 am

Wow..RIP Robin.
Thanks for many years of smiles and laughs.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:19 am

This one is really bothering me and I can't help it. What a brilliant talent whose humor will truly be immortal. His family must be at the highest level of grief at this time givin' the man that he was. A truly respected one gone far too soon. Depression is no laughing matter. I hope he's in peace.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby JohnH » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:44 pm

Same here, I'm deeply upset and saddened by this. It really hasn't sunk in yet. Guy was a genius.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby AR » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:27 am

Robin Williams and Brad Delp 1979

AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Fact Finder » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:08 am

Ed, that is eerie. Robin is all lit up. :(

Maybe an appropriate song is in order...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDVceKdx1UY
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Arkansas » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:18 am

Ya know, I'm often quick to say that I don't have much sympathy for suicide. I've always felt that suicide is just about the most selfish act in the world - "My life is soooo bad, screw everyone else, I'm outta here!" And although I still think that, I'm really sad about Robin Williams. I mean, I kinda grew up with this guy. From Happy Days and Mork & Mindy on TV, to so much stand-up comedy, and all the movies.

He's always been one of my faves because he was so quick witted. On the Comic Relief shows, he just ran circles around everyone else. If ever I had to choose between reruns of movies or comedy routines, I always turned to Robin Williams. If ever there was an interview on tv or radio, I'd sit there until it was done...and then I'd usually want more.

So I don't know. I've never understood depression. I mean, I think I know how it works. I had a brother who suffered with it...and I think my Dad too in his last year. And I've probably bounced thru the dark side a few times on occasion. But I've never really understood severe deep depression. And in a way, I hope I never do.

RIP, Robin Williams. I pray that you're in a better place now.

later~
Arkansas
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:39 am

Arkansas wrote:Ya know, I'm often quick to say that I don't have much sympathy for suicide. I've always felt that suicide is just about the most selfish act in the world - "My life is soooo bad, screw everyone else, I'm outta here!" And although I still think that, I'm really sad about Robin Williams. I mean, I kinda grew up with this guy. From Happy Days and Mork & Mindy on TV, to so much stand-up comedy, and all the movies.

He's always been one of my faves because he was so quick witted. On the Comic Relief shows, he just ran circles around everyone else. If ever I had to choose between reruns of movies or comedy routines, I always turned to Robin Williams. If ever there was an interview on tv or radio, I'd sit there until it was done...and then I'd usually want more.

So I don't know. I've never understood depression. I mean, I think I know how it works. I had a brother who suffered with it...and I think my Dad too in his last year. And I've probably bounced thru the dark side a few times on occasion. But I've never really understood severe deep depression. And in a way, I hope I never do.

later~

You don't have to understand something or experience something to have sympathy, you just have to know it's real. And anyone that still thinks debilitating depression is not real simply has their eyes closed.

When you are in the depths of it, there is not a single thing that can pull you out except maybe the one thing that does - which is different for everyone and unknown until it maybe happens. Taking ones life is an extremely difficult and final decision. That alone tells you that whatever forces are pushing you there, and it is a force, must be beyond overwhelming. Or suicide would not exist. In all people, even the depressed, the will to live is built into our DNA and has kept us alive for all our time. It is not the weak that choose to end their lives, it is the ones suffering from a force that becomes greater than the will to live. The "get over it" attitude of society is childish and inhumane. I am not saying you have that attitude, mind you. Just saying our society does and it's shameful.

Here's a video making the rounds today. I find it pretty on point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUHcc7ipGt0

I hate that this happened to Robin Williams and I hate that many people feel this way every day. And I always live in fear because my life has touched these boundaries several times. And when I feel that nasty wave of doom that comes over me, I fear that I will sink to depths I cannot recover from. But I am years past those depths, even if it comes to visit me every so often. Intellectually, I know that if I ever got to that point again, it would be the last time. There would be no coming back. So when a hint of it arrives, I fight like hell. I scramble my brain in every direction trying to overcome it as fast as I can. And I rely on my friends to understand. Understanding goes a long way to keeping me above the water. No one can fix it, but compassion is our greatest gift and to receive it from someone is my lifeline.

Didn't come here to write all this, but there it is. I hope Robin's family gets through this ok.

By the way, I saw Robin Williams last month riding his bike here in MN during his rehab stay. Only a brief second, but I thought a lot in that moment how it was good he was getting his sobriety tune up. I wish it had of been enough.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Lora » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:59 am

Memorex wrote:
Arkansas wrote:Ya know, I'm often quick to say that I don't have much sympathy for suicide. I've always felt that suicide is just about the most selfish act in the world - "My life is soooo bad, screw everyone else, I'm outta here!" And although I still think that, I'm really sad about Robin Williams. I mean, I kinda grew up with this guy. From Happy Days and Mork & Mindy on TV, to so much stand-up comedy, and all the movies.

later~

You don't have to understand something or experience something to have sympathy, you just have to know it's real. And anyone that still thinks debilitating depression is not real simply has their eyes closed.

When you are in the depths of it, there is not a single thing that can pull you out except maybe the one thing that does - which is different for everyone and unknown until it maybe happens. Taking ones life is an extremely difficult and final decision. That alone tells you that whatever forces are pushing you there, and it is a force, must be beyond overwhelming. Or suicide would not exist. In all people, even the depressed, the will to live is built into our DNA and has kept us alive for all our time. It is not the weak that choose to end their lives, it is the ones suffering from a force that becomes greater than the will to live. The "get over it" attitude of society is childish and inhumane. I am not saying you have that attitude, mind you. Just saying our society does and it's shameful.

Here's a video making the rounds today. I find it pretty on point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUHcc7ipGt0

I hate that this happened to Robin Williams and I hate that many people feel this way every day. And I always live in fear because my life has touched these boundaries several times. And when I feel that nasty wave of doom that comes over me, I fear that I will sink to depths I cannot recover from. But I am years past those depths, even if it comes to visit me every so often. Intellectually, I know that if I ever got to that point again, it would be the last time. There would be no coming back. So when a hint of it arrives, I fight like hell. I scramble my brain in every direction trying to overcome it as fast as I can. And I rely on my friends to understand. Understanding goes a long way to keeping me above the water. No one can fix it, but compassion is our greatest gift and to receive it from someone is my lifeline.

Didn't come here to write all this, but there it is. I hope Robin's family gets through this ok.

By the way, I saw Robin Williams last month riding his bike here in MN during his rehab stay. Only a brief second, but I thought a lot in that moment how it was good he was getting his sobriety tune up. I wish it had of been enough.

+1000. No one can really understand the depths of depression unless they have been there. That's why it's not a great idea to judge others. Robin was a Bay Area guy and everyone here is in shock, just like the rest of the world. :cry:
Lora
8 Track

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:30 am

News says he was found with a belt around his neck, and his wrists were slashed. There was a small pocket knife close by.
K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP

Postby slucero » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:56 am

Been there. Came really, really close to not being here. The routine of taking care of a little dog and asking for help saved my life. That said, I will say this.

Suicide = a selfish act, and a reaction to something, and the consequences of it are often not lost on the person contemplating/committing suicide. What ever causes their pain typically pushes our their ability to be rational.

Depression = a mental illness. PERIOD. Sometimes the consequences are fatal. Sometimes not. It is treatable as long as the person can, and does ask for help.

Suicide and Depression are two separate things.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby No Surprize » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:15 pm

"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby ebake02 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:06 am

The world loses Robin Williams and Lauren Bacall in the same week and we're still stuck with Justin Beiber and the Kardashians. What a crock of shit... :evil:
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby JBlake » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:29 am

ebake02 wrote:The world loses Robin Williams and Lauren Bacall in the same week and we're still stuck with Justin Beiber and the Kardashians. What a crock of shit... :evil:

LOL, the Kardashias are like herpes. Their both the gift that keeps on giving.
God better be wearing his titanium cup when I arrive to be judged, cause the very first thing I'm going to do is break my foot off in his balls. Liberals and Dems are proof that Satan has, to some extent, a sense of humor.
JBlake
8 Track

Postby Lora » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:34 am

Lora
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:56 am

- So true...

'Once again…
the good die young and pricks live forever'.

'May peace finally be with him'. - Lewis Black
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby AR » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:56 am

One thing - I always found him to be a much better actor than a stand up comedian. He was too manic for my tastes. I liked some of his dramatic roles a lot more.

AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Marabelle » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:07 am

It's terribly sad. all of these famous people making these kind and loving comments about their friend. it makes me sadder.
where were they when this man was suffering. suicide is part of depression, it's on the continuum, it's the grey between the white and the black'; the more depressed you get the darker the grey gets until it leads to a totally destructive and final color of black.
perhaps he could have been saved but you get paralyzed and you dwell in that dark place by yourself and no one can get in to help you. i don't know where people were months ago when he first started sliding down that hill of depression. you know he's been
there before and you knew he'd be there again and you know when this time was worse than the last time. but he wouldn't budge and you felt you couldn't push him; but there's always the power of the courts to make someone get the help they need. oh he'd been embarrassed and threaten never to talk to you again; but he'd be alive. he'd be here amongst all these sad faces making
these kind and sweet comments. he couldn't do it himself; but someone else could have done it for him. so, today i'm not mad at him for what he's done. and the act was selfish but i think sometimes we have to be our brother's keeper.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Marabelle wrote:It's terribly sad. all of these famous people making these kind and loving comments about their friend. it makes me sadder.
where were they when this man was suffering. suicide is part of depression, it's on the continuum, it's the grey between the white and the black'; the more depressed you get the darker the grey gets until it leads to a totally destructive and final color of black.
perhaps he could have been saved but you get paralyzed and you dwell in that dark place by yourself and no one can get in to help you. i don't know where people were months ago when he first started sliding down that hill of depression. you know he's been
there before and you knew he'd be there again and you know when this time was worse than the last time. but he wouldn't budge and you felt you couldn't push him; but there's always the power of the courts to make someone get the help they need. oh he'd been embarrassed and threaten never to talk to you again; but he'd be alive. he'd be here amongst all these sad faces making
these kind and sweet comments. he couldn't do it himself; but someone else could have done it for him. so, today i'm not mad at him for what he's done. and the act was selfish but i think sometimes we have to be our brother's keeper.

I think it appears as a selfish act to those left behind. It appears as considerate to the person that committed the act. When you are like that, you can see the suffering that others go through on your behalf. And much of what you think is that you don't want to put them through that anymore. In that sense, it feels like the highest form of a selfless act. In any case, it is a disease and it is often uncontrollable and we can no more blame someone that commits suicide of being selfish than someone that dies of cancer. We have to get past this notion that the person in that position always has the ability to control it. It is a pure darkness and often that darkness takes over completely.

As far as his friends - have you ever known anyone to do this or attempt this? I have and I have never met anyone that said yea, I knew he'd do it. People don't usually come equipped with the idea that people can actually go that far. It's a very foreign thought for most people. They always feel like they will hold on. You know Robin and many, many others that have done this are very much loved and looked in on. His family forced him to rehab in 2006. I'm sure it was his friends and family that encouraged him to go to rehab a month ago. But for decades he always pulled himself away from the edge and I'm sure everyone believed that was more possible than him hanging himself one night.

I just feel like those that think this type of act is selfish and that others can change it simply don't understand the disease that is chronic, deep depression. This isn't simply the blues. And maybe when we stop blaming people or labeling them, we can get a whole lot better at addressing it.

An example of this is things like school shootings. Almost to a person, every one of these shooters had mental issues and were on one prescription or another. But our country doesn't want to discuss that. We want to talk about the gun and gun control. Silly.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby AR » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:41 pm

It's a mental illness most of us not wired that way will never understand. Selfish on the surface to those of us left behind for sure. Not to those who take it to the end under that cloud.

The only thing that I have to say though is I feel more for people who have this issue that have to work 9 to 5 jobs and just can't leave their lives to go to rehab for months and get help. They don't have those kind of resources like Robin Williams did. I just feel more for them. Doesn't make this any less sad of course.

AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Memorex » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:57 pm

AR wrote:It's a mental illness most of us not wired that way will never understand. Selfish on the surface to those of us left behind for sure. Not to those who take it to the end under that cloud.

The only thing that I have to say though is I feel more for people who have this issue that have to work 9 to 5 jobs and just can't leave their lives to go to rehab for months and get help. They don't have those kind of resources like Robin Williams did. I just feel more for them. Doesn't make this any less sad of course.

I get that. You would think a man of his resources could have found a way. But that's not how it works, right? You get to a point where you can't do the work. Where every word being said to you is deflected back with a complete lack of hope. I can think of many conversations in my life where people kept offering me a hand up and it wouldn't have mattered if they were handing me 15 million dollars and a life on the beach. I could find 35 reasons why I should continue to feel hopeless for every one offer of hope they made. The only thing that ever helped me during those times is if someone could get down into the trenches mentally with me and offer understanding. The thing that pushed me farther into the abyss was people (like my mother) that would want me to snap out of it or tell me what a great life I was missing out on. Lame.

Yes - suicide is a choice. But often it feels like the ONLY choice and sometimes the brain is not equipped to be making such decisions.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Andrew » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:13 pm

Glad to see this thread discussion depression in a respectful manner. Clinical depression is a deep dark condition that changes the way a person perceives things and how they deal with life in general.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby steveo777 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:09 pm

What is so horrible about depression is that it leads those to make a permanent decision of finality to what could have been a temporary situation. Very sad! I've been depressed before and it took about 3 years out of my life. I literally couldn't take care of myself, it got so bad. Fortunately, when I made a decision to "end it" permanently, I was not alone and was able to have professionals intervene. It took time, but through help of many friends, family and professionals, I was able to break out of it. I'm grateful for the life I have and the very fact I am still here. Depressed people are not capable of rational thinking.......nothing looks right, everything is gloomy and looks like shit, not matter what those around you say, when you are in the grip of it.
steveo777
MP3

Postby Fact Finder » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:17 am

Robin Williams was suffering from early stages of Parkinson's Disease, his wife says in statement - @Variety
read more on variety.com
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby slucero » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:54 pm

"Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.”

~ Robin Williams..

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Next

Return to Death By Stereo