Nikki Sixx Criticizes Gene Simmons Comments On Depression

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Nikki Sixx Criticizes Gene Simmons Comments On Depression

Postby tater1977 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:03 pm

Nikki Sixx Criticizes Gene Simmons Over Comments On Depression

by Nick DeRiso August 14, 2014
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/nikki-si ... m=referral

Read More: Nikki Sixx Criticizes Gene Simmons Over Comments On Depression | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/nikki-si ... ck=tsmclip

Nikki Sixx has come to the defense of recovering addicts and those suffering from depression after Gene Simmons implied that they should simply kill themselves rather than continue complaining.

“To be honest with you, I like Gene,” the Motley Crue/Sixx: A.M. bassist said, during his ‘Sixx Sense‘ radio show, “but in this situation, I don’t like Gene. I don’t like Gene’s words, because … there is a 20-year-old kid out there who is a Kiss fan and reads this and goes, ‘You know what? He’s right. I should just kill myself.’”

Sixx, a recovering addict, says those suffering should instead try to see the bigger picture. “For people who are depressed, there is a way out,” he adds. “There are many, many ways out. And I don’t want people to listen to an interview from a rock star, who’s telling you the only way out is out, when I’m telling you — and I wrote it in ‘The Heroin Diaries’ — you can get out of this. One in 10 Americans are affected by depression at one point in their life, so this is another thing to think about. At one point in your life, meaning it will come and it will go … they say all bad things must pass, all bad things will pass, so keep that in the back of your mind if you’re feeling depression, and don’t listen to people who don’t know what they’re talking about.”

Simmons’ initial comments came after a question from SongFacts about his relationship with the departed original members of Kiss. “I don’t get along with anybody who’s a drug addict and has a dark cloud over the head and sees themselves as a victim,” he began, before digressing into thoughts on those with depression. “For a putz 20-year-old kid to say, ‘I’m depressed. I live in Seattle.’ F– you, then kill yourself.”

Sixx and Simmons are both on tour with their respective bands. Sixx: A.M. is also set to release a new EP called ‘Modern Vintage,’ with the song ‘Gotta Get It Right‘ serving as an advance single.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: Nikki Sixx Criticizes Gene Simmons Comments On Depressio

Postby G.I.Jim » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:46 pm

I couldn't agree more. I love Kiss and have always been a big fan, but Gene's statements were more than moronic... they could have an impact on someone out there and cause another life to be lost. What an asshole. Same thing with recovering addicts. His statements were idiotic and he clearly has no understanding of how depression or being an addict works. Unless he does some serious back peddling publicly, I may have already bought my last Kiss album. Shame on you Gene! :evil:
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby tater1977 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:18 pm

G.I.Jim wrote:I couldn't agree more. I love Kiss and have always been a big fan, but Gene's statements were more than moronic... they could have an impact on someone out there and cause another life to be lost. What an asshole. Same thing with recovering addicts. His statements were idiotic and he clearly has no understanding of how depression or being an addict works. Unless he does some serious back peddling publicly, I may have already bought my last Kiss album. Shame on you Gene! :evil:

Exactly...
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby JBlake » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:07 am

Please post up the full original article of what Simmons said.
God better be wearing his titanium cup when I arrive to be judged, cause the very first thing I'm going to do is break my foot off in his balls. Liberals and Dems are proof that Satan has, to some extent, a sense of humor.
JBlake
8 Track

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:50 am

JBlake wrote:Please post up the full original article of what Simmons said.

Google it yourself. Nobody here is at your service.
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby slucero » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:51 am

Simmons really is a moron.. his mom needs to enlighten him on just how "depressing" a concentration camp is..

SOURCE: http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interview ... s_of_kiss/

Songfacts: Do you still get along with the original guys?

Gene: No, I don't get along with anybody who's a drug addict and has a dark cloud over their head and sees themselves as a victim. Drug addicts and alcoholics are always: "The world is a harsh place." My mother was in a concentration camp in Nazi Germany. I don't want to hear fuck all about "the world as a harsh place." She gets up every day, smells the roses and loves life. And for a putz, 20-year-old kid to say, "I'm depressed, I live in Seattle." Fuck you, then kill yourself.

I never understand, because I always call them on their bluff. I'm the guy who says 'Jump!' when there's a guy on top of a building who says, "That's it, I can't take it anymore, I'm going to jump."

Are you kidding? Why are you announcing it? Shut the fuck up, have some dignity and jump! You've got the crowd.

By the way, you walk up to the same guy on a ledge who threatens to jump and put a gun to his head, "I'm going to blow your fuckin' head off!" He'll go, "Please don't!" It's true. He's not that insane.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby AR » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:00 am

Ever since Robin Williams died, based on what I read online 75% of the world is suffering from depression. :shock:

As for Simmons, who the fuck cares what he or anyone else says? I hear stupid comments like that and I don't give them a second thought. But everyone has to be sooooo offended. "Look at me and what a good person I am. How dare they say that. Fire them, boycott them." Then you get the obligatory phony apology, which he already had to put out there. Good. He just likes to hear himself talk. In his case I'm glad he's getting some grief over it. LOL

That out of the way, I don't care what some celebrity says and I'm not offended by anyones' words and I don't need their fucking apologies. I live my own life and and if I don't like what someone says I change the channel, ignore it and move on. Everybody is so worried about speech and not enough about actions in the social media age.
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby G.I.Jim » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:25 am

AR wrote:Ever since Robin Williams died, based on what I read online 75% of the world is suffering from depression. :shock:

As for Simmons, who the fuck cares what he or anyone else says? I hear stupid comments like that and I don't give them a second thought. But everyone has to be sooooo offended. "Look at me and what a good person I am. How dare they say that. Fire them, boycott them." Then you get the obligatory phony apology, which he already had to put out there. Good. He just likes to hear himself talk. In his case I'm glad he's getting some grief over it. LOL

That out of the way, I don't care what some celebrity says and I'm not offended by anyones' words and I don't need their fucking apologies. I live my own life and and if I don't like what someone says I change the channel, ignore it and move on. Everybody is so worried about speech and not enough about actions in the social media age.

Good for you Ed, I'm proud for you. You do make some good points here. I could just ignore his rant. You could also ignore mine. Sorry, but I do get upset when I read stuff like that. Does he have any affect on me or my life? No, but I see how it could affect someone who's in a dark place already. He's extremely insensitive and an ass for what he said. And while I don't know if 75% of the world is depressed, I can only speak for myself. I do suffer from it. I do take medications for it. I also suffer with addictions. I shouldn't be putting this out there for the world to see, but fuck it, it's true! I'm to the point where I don't give a damn who knows. I've been fighting my own demons, and while I don't ever see myself committing suicide... I do see how someone could find it tempting.

I guess I've taken such offense to this, because it hits pretty close to home for me. Anyway, enough about me.
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby G.I.Jim » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:33 am

After reading his "apology", he can fuck off! Here it is...

Depression is very serious and very sad when it happens to anyone, especially loved ones.
I have not commented on various allegations made in the media, but I want to make this statement for the record and to clarify.
I deeply support and am empathetic to anyone suffering from any disease, especially depression.
I have never sugarcoated my feelings regarding drug use and alcoholics.
Somewhere along the line, my intentions in speaking very directly and perhaps politically-incorrectly about drug use and alcoholics have been misconstrued as vile commentary on depression.
Unkind statements about depression was certainly never my intention.
And I do not intend to defend myself here and now by listing the myriad charities and self-help organizations I am involved with.
This is not about me. This is about clearing up misconceptions and being clear. My heart goes out to anyone suffering from depression.

Read More: Gene Simmons Says He Supports Those Suffering From Depression | http://loudwire.com/gene-simmons-i-deep ... ck=tsmclip

So the disease of depression he feels bad for, but the alcoholics and addicts in the world are nothing but a bunch of whining losers. Lol!! Nice mentality asshat. :roll: I won't spend another dime on him or his band.
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby AR » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:42 am

G.I.Jim wrote:After reading his "apology", he can fuck off! Here it is...

Depression is very serious and very sad when it happens to anyone, especially loved ones.
I have not commented on various allegations made in the media, but I want to make this statement for the record and to clarify.
I deeply support and am empathetic to anyone suffering from any disease, especially depression.
Somewhere along the line, my intentions in speaking very directly and perhaps politically-incorrectly about drug use and alcoholics have been misconstrued as vile commentary on depression.
And I do not intend to defend myself here and now by listing the myriad charities and self-help organizations I am involved with.
This is not about me. This is about clearing up misconceptions and being clear. My heart goes out to anyone suffering from depression.

Read More: Gene Simmons Says He Supports Those Suffering From Depression | http://loudwire.com/gene-simmons-i-deep ... ck=tsmclip

So the disease of depression he feels bad for, but the alcoholics and addicts in the world are nothing but a bunch of whining losers. Lol!! Nice mentality asshat. :roll: I won't spend another dime on him or his band.

He offended me by his comments on alcoholics, so I just went and got a keg for my bar. :lol:

I really don't know how I can pour this beer. Gene offended me. (Down the hatch) :wink:
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby G.I.Jim » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:44 am

AR wrote:
G.I.Jim wrote:After reading his "apology", he can fuck off! Here it is...

He offended me by his comments on alcoholics, so I just went and got a keg for my bar. :lol:

I really don't know how I can pour this beer. Gene offended me. (Down the hatch) :wink:

Fuck you Ed! :lol: Okay, thanks for making me laugh. Did you have to do it with alcohol though? I haven't drank anything since May 26. That's the longest I've gone without a drink since I was in my teens! :shock: :wink:
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby G.I.Jim » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:48 am

Rick wrote:
JBlake wrote:Please post up the full original article of what Simmons said.

Google it yourself. Nobody here is at your service.

Yeah... what RICK said!! :lol: :wink:
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:51 am

More evidence Gene shouldn't talk, give interviews or use social media while he's stacking up the bills on his desk in his shrine to himself, I mean his office.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:57 am

Radio Stations Ban Kiss Music as Gene Simmons Apologizes for Controversial Suicide Comments

by Nick DeRiso
August 15, 2014

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/kiss-ban ... m=referral

As the storm surrounding Gene Simmons‘ recent controversial comments about suicide grows to include radio station boycotts of his band’s music, the Kiss star has issued a new statement declaring that he “deeply” supports those who suffer from depression.

Triple M broadcasting, owner of five metropolitan radio stations across Australia, has banned Kiss following the explosive comments by Simmons on depression and suicide that they’ve dubbed “misguided and insensitive.” Albany, New York’s longtime WPYX DJ Uncle Vito has also vowed not to play Kiss music, labeling Simmons “an arrogant, unfeeling a—hole.”

These “are not topics he should be using to further his notoriety or sell records,” Triple M network head Mike Fitzpatrick says in a statement. “His desperation to use mental health issues to find relevancy in a modern age is sickening. I can only put it down to a brain fade on his part.”

The furor started when Simmons, in response to a question about his relationship with former Kiss bandmates, went off on a tangent concerning depressed and suicidal people. “For a putz, 20-year-old kid to say, ‘I’m depressed, I live in Seattle,’” Simmons concluded. “F– you, then kill yourself.”

An outraged Fitzpatrick, while calling Simmons a “d–head,” is now encouraging other radio programmers in Australia and North America to similarly stop playing Kiss music.

WPYX Triple M, which broadcasts in Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney, aren’t the only ones taking Simmons to task, either. Nikki Sixx took time on his radio show this week to criticize Simmons and encourage those suffering not to “listen to people who don’t know what they’re talking about.”

Simmons has responded to all this backlash on his Facebook page with the following message:

Update 8/15 9:45PM ET – Simmons has now posted a more detailed apology on the official Kiss Facebook page:

I want to make this statement about my views on depression for the record and to clarify my prior remarks.

To the extent my comments reported by the media speak of depression, I was wrong and in the spur of the moment made remarks that in hindsight were made without regard for those who truly suffer the struggles of depression. I sincerely apologize to those who were offended by my comments. I recognize that depression is very serious and very sad when it happens to anyone, especially loved ones. I deeply support and am empathetic to anyone suffering from any disease, especially depression.

I have never sugarcoated my feelings regarding drug use and alcoholics. Somewhere along the line, my intention of speaking in very directly and perhaps politically incorrectly about drug use and alcoholics has been misconstrued as vile commentary on depression. Unkind statements about depression was certainly never my intention. Fully, you will know that and I do not intend to defend myself here and now, by listing the myriad charities and self-help organizations I am involved with. Rather, I simply want to be clear that my heart goes out to anyone suffering from depression and I deeply regret any offhand remarks in the heat of an interview that might have suggested otherwise.

Read More: Kiss Has Been Banned on Australia Radio Over Gene Simmons' 'Misguided and Insensitive' Remarks | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/kiss-ban ... ck=tsmclip
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby AR » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:16 am

tater1977 wrote:[color=#FF0000]Radio Stations Ban Kiss Music as Gene Simmons Apologizes for Controversial Suicide Comments

Didn't take long for the pitchforks to come out did it? :lol:

Banning Kiss music from radio stations that don't play their music anyway will sure help talk someone down off a ledge (unless they already hate KISS of course)

"You said something I didn't like - APOLOGIZE, then we will ban you, fire you and suppress your opinions if they don't subscribe to the beliefs of the collective."

AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Marabelle » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:20 am

I sometimes think people are so misguided and so self absorbed that they forget that there is a world out here where people are suffering. I do not live in an insulated world where I am not effected by the sorrow of others. I hear their stories and it is so overwhelmingly sad, profoundly sad and to have someone offhandedly make stupid comments like this really shows the difference between those who truly care and those who like to think they live in a bubble isolated from the rest of us in this world. Depression is nothing you can be glib about; it effects everyone no matter what walk of life you live; the symptoms vary and can be devastating. We need compassion, understanding, kindness, assistance, and love for everyone no matter their status. You can't close your eyes and pretend it is not here. It is insidious and does not discriminate in its reach. Lend a hand and some time and an ear. You might make a big difference in the lives of others who live around you.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby AR » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:25 am

Marabelle wrote:I sometimes think people are so misguided and so self absorbed that they forget that there is a world out here where people are suffering. I do not live in an insulated world where I am not effected by the sorrow of others. I hear their stories and it is so overwhelmingly sad, profoundly sad and to have someone offhandedly make stupid comments like this really shows the difference between those who truly care and those who like to think they live in a bubble isolated from the rest of us in this world. Depression is nothing you can be glib about; it effects everyone no matter what walk of life you live; the symptoms vary and can be devastating. We need compassion, understanding, kindness, assistance, and love for everyone no matter their status. You can't close your eyes and pretend it is not here. It is insidious and does not discriminate in its reach. Lend a hand and some time and an ear. You might make a big difference in the lives of others who live around you.

My wife had postpartum depression. I was there for her. I didn't need some musician's music banned or get anyone fired for silly statements in order to do that.
Last edited by AR on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Deb » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:11 am

AR wrote:My wife had postpartum depression. I was there for here. I didn't need some musician's music banned or get anyone fired for silly statements in order to do that.

But not everybody reading Gene's comments is necessarily in a normal state of mind like you. (ok, normal and you, maybe not such a great correlation :lol: ). For most of us to read that, we can just shrug it off with a comment of 'What a fuckin' idiot" but for some 20 year old out there that is getting bullied and in a depressed state (not necessarily from alcohol or drugs) may be reading that and being a fan of theirs, might read more into that moronic comment and think maybe's he's right.
Image Now Playing: If That's What It Takes (Live) ~ http://youtu.be/8g2TrEdi5ZQ
Deb
MP3

Postby AR » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:26 am

Deb wrote:
AR wrote:My wife had postpartum depression. I was there for here. I didn't need some musician's music banned or get anyone fired for silly statements in order to do that.

But not everybody reading Gene's comments is necessarily in a normal state of mind like you. (ok, normal and you, maybe not such a great correlation :lol: ).

Point taken Deb. :lol:

AR
Digital Audio Tape

Return to Death By Stereo