Michael Anthony Talks Being Replaced By Eddie Van Halen’s So

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Michael Anthony Talks Being Replaced By Eddie Van Halen’s So

Postby tater1977 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:51 am

Michael Anthony Talks Being Replaced By Eddie Van Halen’s Son

Posted on 9/8/2014 by Erica Banas

http://www.wcsx.com/gmi/classicrocknews ... A-eAU0g9dh

Bands replace various members all of the time, but there were few replacements quite like when Wolfgang Van Halen, the then 15-year-old son of Eddie Van Halen, was announced as the new bassist for Van Halen back in 2006, effective replacing Michael Anthony.

When you’re in a band for over three decades, you don’t exactly expect to be replaced, much less by a child, but in an interview on The Eddie Trunk Podcast, it turns out Anthony never saw the lineup change coming:

http://podcastone.com/Eddie-Trunk-Podcast
ET- Michael Anthony
-FF to 16.30 when M.A. joins in

“Well, you know what, if I would have known that was happening, when he'd be bugging us up at the studio as a little kid, I probably would have slapped him around a little bit more,” joked Anthony. “…but I knew that at one point that he'd [Eddie] like his son to play with him in some respect, but I didn't think it was gonna be like that. And when that whole thing went down, I kind of found out with the rest of the public."

As for what could’ve caused this change, Anthony cited when he played with Sammy Hagar on a couple of shows back in the early 2000’s when Hagar toured with David Lee Roth and when Van Halen was on a break.

“I don’t think that sat too well with some people… Sammy asked me, 'Hey, you wanna come out and maybe jam a couple of Van Halen tunes?' Not do the whole tour, but just do a few shows. And I thought, 'God, that'll be great. I'll go out there, and I'll wave the VH flag high. And I'll also let people know that I'm not dead, that I'm still around. And, unfortunately, Eddie didn't see it that way.”

Geez…none of those “Real Housewives” show have anything on the saga that is Van Halen!
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: Michael Anthony Talks Being Replaced By Eddie Van Halen’

Postby Ehwmatt » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:00 am

Talk about petty. EVH must be a real cocksmoker.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby tater1977 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:05 am

Planet US didn't last long.
Soul Sirkus a lil longer..slightly diff cast.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:41 pm

I listened to the podcast last week. Eddie asked Mikey how long it had been since he'd talked to the Van Halen brothers.

The answer? 2004!

And yes, Ed's a dick.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Eddie strikes me as a very petty person that holds serious grudges. I think in Sammy and Dave's case, there is always enough coming out of their mouths that can irk a sensitive person. Never got that from Michael.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby JBlake » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:14 am

The Van Halen I like is the one with a young DLR or Michael/Sammy in it. I don't care so much for it now with the son on bass and an old DLR (grandpa munster) on lead vocals. It's too much like a comedy right now, especially with DLR doing Mr. Roboto moves on stage.
God better be wearing his titanium cup when I arrive to be judged, cause the very first thing I'm going to do is break my foot off in his balls. Liberals and Dems are proof that Satan has, to some extent, a sense of humor.
JBlake
8 Track

Postby Deb » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:43 am

tater1977 wrote:Michael Anthony Talks Being Replaced By Eddie Van Halen’s Son

Bands replace various members all of the time, but there were few replacements quite like when Wolfgang Van Halen, the then 15-year-old son of Eddie Van Halen, was announced as the new bassist for Van Halen back in 2006, effective replacing Michael Anthony.

When you’re in a band for over three decades, you don’t exactly expect to be replaced, much less by a child, but in an interview on The Eddie Trunk Podcast, it turns out Anthony never saw the lineup change coming:

ET- Michael Anthony

“Well, you know what, if I would have known that was happening, when he'd be bugging us up at the studio as a little kid, I probably would have slapped him around a little bit more,” joked Anthony. “…but I knew that at one point that he'd [Eddie] like his son to play with him in some respect, but I didn't think it was gonna be like that. And when that whole thing went down, I kind of found out with the rest of the public."

As for what could’ve caused this change, Anthony cited when he played with Sammy Hagar on a couple of shows back in the early 2000’s when Hagar toured with David Lee Roth and when Van Halen was on a break.

“I don’t think that sat too well with some people… Sammy asked me, 'Hey, you wanna come out and maybe jam a couple of Van Halen tunes?' Not do the whole tour, but just do a few shows. And I thought, 'God, that'll be great. I'll go out there, and I'll wave the VH flag high. And I'll also let people know that I'm not dead, that I'm still around. And, unfortunately, Eddie didn't see it that way.”

Geez…none of those “Real Housewives” show have anything on the saga that is Van Halen!

Hmmm sounds familiar........... :roll:
Image Now Playing: If That's What It Takes (Live) ~ http://youtu.be/8g2TrEdi5ZQ
Deb
MP3

Postby JBlake » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:36 am

Deb wrote:
tater1977 wrote:Michael Anthony Talks Being Replaced By Eddie Van Halen’s Son

ET- Michael Anthony

Hmmm sounds familiar........... :roll:

Please explain.
God better be wearing his titanium cup when I arrive to be judged, cause the very first thing I'm going to do is break my foot off in his balls. Liberals and Dems are proof that Satan has, to some extent, a sense of humor.
JBlake
8 Track

Return to Death By Stereo