The Judge (and other movie stuff)

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

The Judge (and other movie stuff)

Postby Memorex » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:16 am

Thinking of seeing this tonight or tomorrow. Anyone seen it? Any good?

I saw Gone Girl over the weekend. Enjoyed it.

At home, I watched Stretch. Very fun to watch, for me. Would not be everyone's cup of tea for sure. I really like Patrick Wilson though. So, so under-rated.

Watched the latest Tranformers on the plane. Holy shit I could not have been more bored. It was good in the sense that it ran pretty much equal to the time I was allowed to have a movie on, but I could have read the barf bag over and over and got about the same out of it.

Any other under-the-radar movies worth seeing?
Memorex
Stereo LP

Re: The Judge (and other movie stuff)

Postby Andrew » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:08 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE it....

Great movie and brilliantly acted and directed.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Memorex » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:54 pm

Andrew wrote:LOVE LOVE LOVE it....

Just got back from seeing it. Agreed. Very well-done movie. Surprising in parts. Very nice.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby rsimpson » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:08 pm

Memorex wrote:

Just got back from seeing it. Agreed. Very well-done movie. Surprising in parts. Very nice.

Girlfriend saw it. Said acting was great, but movie was depressing. I'll see it eventually.
rsimpson
Ol' 78

Postby Memorex » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:23 pm

rsimpson wrote:
Memorex wrote:

Girlfriend saw it. Said acting was great, but movie was depressing. I'll see it eventually.

Touching, emotional... I would not say depressing. Though depending on life experiences, one could probably be pretty down about it, I guess. While there are some unrealistic moments (as is always the case in legal dramas), there are many very real moments. Both Robert Downey Jr and Robert Duvall give their best performances in many years. Billy Bob Thornton is great in his role as well.

Vera Farmiga sometimes rubs me the wrong way in movies. Too harsh. Though she is brilliant - beyond brilliant - in Bates Motel. I really liked her in this movie.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:11 pm

US reviews of "The Judge" have ranged from mediocre to downright brutal. I think the days of Downey being a critical favorite are over. With Iron Man and Sherlock, Downey has followed the same trajectory of Johnny Depp, another art house darling who now sells toys and video games. "The Judge" was produced by Downey and his wife. I'm not really a fan of Oscar-baiting vanity projects, but the trailer looked good. In terms of underrated flicks...I saw the Pierce Brosnan thriller, The November Man. Very low rent spy thriller with a late night cable vibe, but I thought it was a cinematic page turner. I would like to see the Brad Pitt war movie, Fury.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby No Surprize » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Any other under-the-radar movies worth seeing?

Two Under-rated movies I've seen thru Netflix recently worth seeing in my opinion are

1. Ragamuffin-True story of Rich Mullins. I ended up buying it.

2. The Butler-Forest Whitaker is a greta, great, actor.
"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby Andrew » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:31 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:US reviews of "The Judge" have ranged from mediocre to downright brutal. I think the days of Downey being a critical favorite are over. With Iron Man and Sherlock, Downey has followed the same trajectory of Johnny Depp, another art house darling who now sells toys and video games. "The Judge" was produced by Downey and his wife. I'm not really a fan of Oscar-baiting vanity projects, but the trailer looked good. In terms of underrated flicks...I saw the Pierce Brosnan thriller, The November Man. Very low rent spy thriller with a late night cable vibe, but I thought it was a cinematic page turner. I would like to see the Brad Pitt war movie, Fury.

Depp wouldn't know how to make a normal mass-appeal film if his life depended upon it.

Downey and this film shouldn't be on the end of any brutal reviews. Awesome stuff.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Memorex » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:33 am

I saw Nightcrawler last night. First off, perfect name for the movie.

Anyway, this movie did so many things right it should be taught in film school. Great acting top to bottom. excellent writing and directing. Best movie i have seen of this kind in a very long time, if ever.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Return to Death By Stereo