Metallica had float in Giants’ parade, why did Train perform

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Metallica had float in Giants’ parade, why did Train perform

Postby MotherCitay » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:19 pm

By Des Bieler October 31 at 9:50 PM 

The Giants held their World Series victory parade Friday, and it was quite a spectacle. There were 100 floats, enough to accommodate not only the players and team staff but also some local politicians, such as Mayor Ed Lee and Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi, team sponsors and Giants legends from years past, including Willie Mays and Barry Bonds.

Oh, and there was a float for Metallica.

Apparently, the band is a big collective fan of the Giants (except for bassist Robert Trujillo, who admitted to growing up as — ewww — a Dodgers fan, but he’s not an original member, so whatevs). The Giants have held a Metallica Night promotion for the past two seasons, and after the World Series win, the band posted a congratulatory tweet.

So there was some reason for the band to be in the parade, although it did lead to a few incongruous moments, such as when James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich and Co. passed by a crowd being serenaded with decidedly non-metal music.

So after the players had made their speeches, when the whole event had built to a climactic finish, who better to rock the crowd than … Train? That had a lot of folks wondering why the much better band that was IN THE DANG PARADE wasn’t performing.

In fairness, while it seems sometimes like all Train does is perform at sporting events (even in Australia!), the band hails from San Francisco in its own right. But still, most fans in attendance clearly would have preferred the actual rock gods that were there.

On the other hand, there may have been some method to the parade organizers’ madness.

~~ Train is now performing at the Giants celebration. Is that not a sign that it should be over or what? ~~
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Re: Metallica had float in Giants’ parade, why did Train per

Postby Memorex » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:55 am

Train is a great band and are very much tied to San Francisco. So i don't understand the question. Some of us prefer train's music to that of metalica, a band i was never into, Maybe they deserve the rock Gods title more than Train, but so what. Train is working their asses off to build their fan base. it goes back to my other post about hard working they are. Not that metalica isn't.

Love the new Train Album!
Memorex
Stereo LP

Re: Metallica had float in Giants’ parade, why did Train per

Postby SF-Dano » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:52 am

Hell, they should have organized a free after concert featuring SF bands. Think of the possiblilities - - Metallica, Train, Journey, Starship, Huey Lewis & The News, Night Ranger, Santana, Doobie Bros, Hagar, Greg Kihn, etc. Kind of like the Bill Graham Tribute years ago. (Dreaming I know. 8) )
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Return to Death By Stereo