Facing mortality

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Facing mortality

Postby AR » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:49 am

Wow did I get a dose of it a few days ago.

I'm sitting at my desk at the office in the morning around 8am checking my e-mails. Next thing you know I'm standing in our lobby with everyone asking if I'm ok and my wife was there to take me home. It was after 11. WTF? I lost 3 hours of my day!

I found out later from my co-workers that I was awake the entire time walking and talking but behaving out of character. I have zero recollection of any of it.

Now if you've been following over the years I'm in my mid 40's and never see doctors. The last time I had a primary care physician it was a pediatrician. Not kidding.

So anyway my wife brings me home and I crash out on the sofa. She came home from work and I was fine. We even went to see Judas Priest and Steel Panther that night. The next morning though she lowered the boom and me and told me she had a doctor's appointment scheduled and we were going right fucking now!

It turns out I had a suspected T.I.A. (Transient Ischemic Attack) or "mini stroke". Similar symptoms, but the problem corrects itself. My blood pressure was sky high at the doctors, but it did drop 20 points when my anxiety lessened but it was still way too freaking high. The doctor immediately put me on blood pressure medication and ordered blood work and a brain MRI. My EKG was fine and he gave me stroke tests to see if I had any weakness or balance issues. Everything checked out ok.

I've been put at ease over the last several days. The blood pressure medicine is a God send, and I feel really relaxed. Had the blood work done today and the brain MRI is this Thursday. Not expecting any surprises. Mostly precautionary. Told to limit salt and my alcohol consumption but I flat out am not going near a drink for a long time if ever. Especially because my sleep pattern went to normal within two days of cutting that out and taking the lisinopril. I m totally addicted to sleep now. :)

Anyway the doctor told me to consider this a gift. He said the T.I.A. is a warning and not everyone is fortunate enough to get an early warning as these can lead to the real thing eventually. :shock:

Lesson fucking learned!
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Re: Facing mortality

Postby Memorex » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:28 am

Wow. Hope all tests turn out good for you.

Alcohol is a poison. Period. Moderation or nothing at all - that's the only healthy answer. And it's a dr's definition of moderation, not the person. :) Anything a person may have in life is only made worse with alcohol or smoking. I certainly drink from time to time, but the general rule in a given month is not to.

Good on you for getting to the Dr. I hate going as well, but I will go at the first sign of something potentially serious. There is so much they can do when things are found early VS late.

Good luck!!
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Andrew » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:35 am

Take care Ed....
Andrew
Administrator

Postby AR » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:44 am

I'm feeling fine now. Now one of the many who will be seeing a doctor regularly. :wink:

Felt like sharing the story since we've all been together now online for a long time. Any sense of invincibility I once had is now out the window. I was very lucky to have received the warning I did. Thankfully my wife has been there for me since it happened. I'm following doctor's orders to the letter. Back at work, and I even took a bike ride today.

Not screwing up my 2nd chance. Totally over my anxiety where it comes to doctors. The guy I went to was great.
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby verslibre » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:20 am

Yeah, lay off the alcohol. Drink shitload of coffee and Pepsi, like me. :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby Rick » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:52 am

Glad things turned out on a positive note, Ed. Take care of yourself bro. Your wife and daughter need you around. We kind of like you around here too. :)
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby RPM » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:57 am

Glad to hear you are doing well A.R. ! What a blessing to get a second chance , glad you are taking advantage of it!
be well..... :D
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
8 Track

Postby RedWingFan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:15 pm

verslibre wrote:Yeah, lay off the alcohol. Drink shitload of coffee and Pepsi, like me. :lol:

Um...no. You should try to avoid caffeine too Ed. Lisinopril can cause bad headaches during exercise. It did for me. It's an ACE inhibitor. I had to get switched to Norvasc which is a calcium channel blocker. If you have any side effects keep going back til you find something that works for you.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:22 pm

Good luck!

It's good that your wife got you to go to the doctor.

Do some research into Omega-3 Fatty Acids for lower blood pressure. They can work as good or better than a lot of prescription drugs for lowering blood pressure. Plus they have tons of other major health benefits. They're great for the heart, brain, eyes and many other things.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Fact Finder » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:29 pm

Well we're all gonna die from sumpthin'. (Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders) :D

How much Lisinopril did they start you at? I got 10mg to start and now at 20. I can see 30 in my future. :)

Seriously, the remedy for this is to take walks. The longer the better. No alcohol is good, but you can still do 2 a day. Take a long walk and have a glass of Red and go to bed. :wink:
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby steveo777 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:41 pm

Glad you're ok Ed. I hate that pesky doctor advice sometimes. Quitting drinking is on my NFH list.......NOT FUCKING HAPPENING! Eating right and exercise I can live with. :D :D :D
steveo777
MP3

Postby No Surprize » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:57 pm

Edward, I'm calling Paul Stanley in the middle of the night about this! Seriously man, I know this was bought one by your Oriole's getting routed by the Royal's and your co-worker's even stated that you were mumbling deep, deep, resentment toward Nelson Cruz's choke job. Ed, I'm glad to see your doing fine. Your a good dude and fellow Kiss fan so put on a classic album and count your lucky stars.
"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby AR » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:04 am

Fact Finder wrote:Well we're all gonna die from sumpthin'. (Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders) :D

How much Lisinopril did they start you at? I got 10mg to start and now at 20. I can see 30 in my future. :)

Seriously, the remedy for this is to take walks. The longer the better. No alcohol is good, but you can still do 2 a day. Take a long walk and have a glass of Red and go to bed. :wink:

They started me on the baseline 10mg with a diuretic plus baby aspirin. I'm sure it will be adjusted when I go back in 2 weeks but it's a start.

I take almost a 3 mile walk everyday on my lunch hour.

The doc told me 2 drinks would be ok. For now it's zero by my own choice. I'm just enjoying the restful sleep and don't want to upset that at any cost. :)

AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby brywool » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:08 am

is your real name Walter White??? Are you making meth?

Seriously, hope you're feeling better. Wow, scary.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby yulog » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:57 pm

AR wrote:
Fact Finder wrote:Well we're all gonna die from sumpthin'. (Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders) :D

They started me on the baseline 10mg with a diuretic plus baby aspirin. I'm sure it will be adjusted when I go back in 2 weeks but it's a start.

I take almost a 3 mile walk everyday on my lunch hour.

The doc told me 2 drinks would be ok. For now it's zero by my own choice. I'm just enjoying the restful sleep and don't want to upset that at any cost. :)

Just lost a childhood buddy, in his 40's looked like he did as a teenager, in good shape, active, looked better than most of us....but had blood pressure issues and other heart issues because he let them go untreated. Never woke up one day, his heart just quit. Nowadays, I can notice a difference when I eat crap (anything sugary or heavy) always feel like I'm in a food coma....sweating, tired , unmotivated. it takes days to recover , its almost like drinking all night(or so I'm told). be careful with your diuretic(HCTZ, Lasix?) almost always potassium depleting. baked potatoes with the skin, dried apricots, bananas all super high in K
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby MotherCitay » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:22 am

AR wrote: Now one of the many who will be seeing a doctor regularly. :wink: The guy I went to was great.

If he's part of the medical cartel, you may want to consider getting a Functional Medicine opinion. :)

http://www.sott.net/article/288480-In-a ... el-is-king

preventative_medicine.jpg
preventative_medicine.jpg (66.93 KiB) Viewed 1173 times

Body.jpg
Body.jpg (25.12 KiB) Viewed 1173 times

http://autoimmunesummit.com/

The World’s first free online summit dedicated to
Helping you Reverse and Prevent Autoimmune Disease
November 10th - 17th 2014

Wishing you the best of health.

~ MC
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby Enigma869 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:24 am

Holy Shit Ed. That's scary shit. Glad to hear that you're okay.
John from Boston
Enigma869
Digital Audio Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:05 am

Dang dude! Glad everything is checking out and I hope all of this will be permanently behind you. All the best.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby AR » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:03 am

Went to my doctor today as a matter of fact.

New blood pressure reading after 3 weeks of meds: 116/76

Brain MRI last week was all clear. Nothing looming to be worried about. Doc said to just keep doing what I'm doing.

That's a huge relief!

AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Fact Finder » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:22 am

how's the morality going :P
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby AR » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:39 pm

Fact Finder wrote:how's the morality going :P

That is still something I'll have to work on. 8)

AR
Digital Audio Tape

Return to Death By Stereo