Marvel Movie thread

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby RedWingFan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:06 am

verslibre wrote:
RedWingFan wrote:
verslibre wrote: RWF even gloated about watching Wonder Woman without paying for it while it was still in theaters.

There were 3 good reasons for that.
The dead in the water MOS, the dead in the water BvS, and the dead in the water SS.
These DC wannabe franchises have the life expectancy of a fishfly. Why would I throw good money after bad? Be like you? Pay to see a shitty movie and then bloviate about how good it is? Lol


Fishbowl fart-breathers like you are the ones who bitch about "the lack of good word of mouth" where DC films are concerned, right? Well, Wonder Woman had nothing but. So that was on you. Own it! :lol:

You may want to check your definition of "dead in the water," because those movies you quoted were anything but box office busts. Squad, especially — despised by critics, a hit with audiences. :D


No sequel= dead in the water! All 3 are dead in the water. All 3 you raved about with all your wisdom if I remember correctly.

You're 1 for 4. Own it!

Aren't you needed in the other thread to touch yourself while talking about Black Manta shooting lasers or something?
Last edited by RedWingFan on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
User avatar
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7813
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: The Peoples Republic of Michigan

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby verslibre » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:09 am

RedWingFan wrote:No sequel= dead in the water! All 3 are dead in the water.


Suicide Squad 2 is in active development. In fact, they just ordered a page one rewrite. Thanks for playing...try again.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby verslibre » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:11 am

RedWingFan wrote:You're 1 for 4. Own it!


Look, he figured out how to use the edit function. No, you mean 4 for 5. Justice League is the only movie that didn't make money and resonated in a ho-hum way with fans and audiences, due to 1) WB's meddling, and 2) Joss' shitty rewrites and reshoots. Try again.
Last edited by verslibre on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby verslibre » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:12 am

RedWingFan wrote:Aren't you needed in the other thread to touch yourself while talking about Black Manta shooting lasers or something?


Look, he's still at it. :lol: Boy, everyone's gonna be touching themselves when they experience that shit on a 20-foot screen. :lol: :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby RedWingFan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:13 am

verslibre wrote:
RedWingFan wrote:No sequel= dead in the water! All 3 are dead in the water.


Suicide Squad 2 is in active development. In fact, they just ordered a page one rewrite. Thanks for playing...try again.

Lol! How many years later? So is MOS..... Active development. That's what the shitty filmmakers at WB tell their stupid fan base to keep them pacified. Lol.
Last edited by RedWingFan on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
User avatar
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7813
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: The Peoples Republic of Michigan

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby RedWingFan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:17 am

verslibre wrote:
RedWingFan wrote:You're 1 for 4. Own it!


Look, he figured out how to use the edit function. No, you mean 4 for 5. Justice League is the only movie that didn't make money and resonated in a ho-hum way with fans and audiences, due to 1) WB's meddling, and 2) Joss' shitty rewrites and reshoots. Try again.

Thanks for reminding me of the king turd of the litter box Justice League. I blocked that from my memory it was so awful.
Justice League also no sequel. 1 for 5.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
User avatar
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7813
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: The Peoples Republic of Michigan

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby verslibre » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:18 am

First, it's pacified. :lol:

Second, Suicide Squad was a hit, dorkus. A sequel has been on the slate since 2016. Harley's already coming back in Birds of Prey (EDIT: due in 2019). People want to see more of Deadshot and the other characters (and new ones). Not that hard to figure out (except for some people, I wager).
Last edited by verslibre on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby verslibre » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:20 am

RedWingFan wrote:Thanks for reminding me of the king turd of the litter box Justice League. I blocked that from my memory it was so awful. Justice League also no sequel. 1 for 5.


Go ahead and zero in on JL, Captain Predictable. It doesn't matter. Everyone knows it's not the movie that was supposed to happen. Kind of like Fant4stic, just nowhere near as abominable.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby RedWingFan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:36 am

verslibre wrote:People want to see more of Deadshot and the other characters (and new ones). Not that hard to figure out (except for some people, I wager).

Yeah, so many people that almost 3 years later it's still in "active development". Films that are hits usually are released 3 years later. Dead in the water!
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
User avatar
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7813
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: The Peoples Republic of Michigan

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby RedWingFan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:37 am

verslibre wrote:
RedWingFan wrote:Thanks for reminding me of the king turd of the litter box Justice League. I blocked that from my memory it was so awful. Justice League also no sequel. 1 for 5.


Go ahead and zero in on JL, Captain Predictable. It doesn't matter. Everyone knows it's not the movie that was supposed to happen. Kind of like Fant4stic, just nowhere near as abominable.

Scroll up and look who brought up JL. My case is made even with that WB jewel.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
User avatar
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7813
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: The Peoples Republic of Michigan

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby verslibre » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:41 am

Sounds like you need that Preparation H action, dude. Too much playtime on the "South Beach," huh? :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby verslibre » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:44 am

RedWingFan wrote:
verslibre wrote:People want to see more of Deadshot and the other characters (and new ones). Not that hard to figure out (except for some people, I wager).

Yeah, so many people that almost 3 years later it's still in "active development". Films that are hits usually are released 3 years later. Dead in the water!


They ordered a page one rewrite. In case you didn't notice, there's a new showrunner at DC Films. For whatever reason, the film is getting a new script. Plus, there was a director attached to the sequel, who appears to be no longer. I hope that slakes your thirst for a drop of knowledge in that information desert you've dug a trench in.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby Monker » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:36 am

verslibre wrote:The simple fact is Marvel has established themselves in a way that maybe only Star Wars has.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Of course it does, in the context of the entire post I wrote. Marvel built their empire by creating entertaining films...not by people mindlessly following and buying into every move they made. Marvel was rewarded with success by EARNING their success. DC "zombies" like you and YJ excuse the stupidity of DC/WB decisions, praise the move to creating a comedy film, cookie cutter origin stories, etc...while critiquing Marvel for doing similar things. YOU are the zombies.

I didn't see Antman in the theater because it seemed like a stupid idea for a superhero to me. I remember one of you poking fun at Spiderman Homecoming's box office and my reply was basically that I didn't care because it was a teen movie and I had no interest in it. The other thread is filled with zombie-like posts by you two. Oh, sure, you'll throw in the occasional minor critique but you still excuse the inexcusable (BAD story telling in both BvS and SS, for example), praise the slapstick comedy in Shazam previews while critiquing it in Marvel films.

Marvel has EARNED their billion dollar spot in the film industry by releasing quality films that entertain. DC hasn't but you two praise DC and excuse the stupid decisions.

Monker wrote: That isn't "Marvel zonbie" talking...where everything Marvel does is fawned over and believed, good or bad, and praised.


You didn't get what I was talking about, and you still don't. Plus, it's more than obvious by now that RWF is indeed a Marvel zombie, as we called them back in the '80s, when the only text you were reading was the lyric booklet to your Street Talk cassette, the one you probed for clues on how to approach a woman who might consider showing you her bra strap if you quoted the right morsel of Perry-sap.


I didn't buy the cassette for ST, I bought the vinyl.

And, you think you were emitting some type of coolness by being a comic book nerd?

RWF even gloated about watching Wonder Woman without paying for it while it was still in theaters. His allegiance is more than apparent. That's fine, but you're taking his bait like a guy exposing his asshole to a leatherboy on Polk St. in San Francisco circa 1979.


Oh, please, I've posted stuff like this for a long time. I think you know I'm right and that is why you would rather talk about RWF and Steve Perry rather than why you can accept a comedy aimed at teens with Shazam but critique Marvel for doing the EXACT SAME THING with movies. You accept cookie cutter movies like WW, but say the EXACT SAME FORMULA is over done at Marvel. You know it's hypocritical...but will never admit it.

Monker wrote:The simple fact is Marvel had a two films gross over $3,000,000,000 combined this year.


Which has nothing to do with my post, or the one I replied to. Nice to see you're now on the "movies that make a shit-ton of $$ = good movies" train. 8)


You are taking my comment out of the context of my post where I said Marvel releases quality and entertaining films and EARNED those billion dollar films. And, yes, Black Panther and Infinity War are "good films"...much better than "good" In fact, I will say that if WW was released by Marvel it would have been a billion dollar film as well - because Marvel has EARNED a reputation of entertaining their audiences in a way that DC HAS NOT.

Monker wrote:And, they had a minor throw away film in Ant-Man and the Wasp.


Who gives a shit? Oh, and the reason that happened is because people are getting what I knew from the get-go: Rudd doesn't play a convincing superhero lead. No charisma whatsoever. They'd better make the next movie The Wasp or recast Lang.


LOL! I think Marvel gives a shit how well their movies do.

Your comments about Rudd are hilarious.

Monker wrote:Marvel knows how to tell their stories and keep them moving forward in a "big picture" goal for the Avenger movies.


Self-contained movies with mid-credits scenes to thread the continuity.


Even if I concede your point, it is still more than what DC has done.

Monker wrote:If Marvel fans were nothing but a bunch of zombies, the Ant-Man films would be bigger than they were and there would not have been such a backlash against Gunn being fired. Marvel has been rewarded by fans for making good decisions and producing good and entertaining films.


Spoken like one. Every once in a while, a movie in a mega-successful franchise isn't going to land like its brothers. Look what happened to Solo. A dud. A-M&TW still made some money. It has yet to open in China. Did you expect it to make 700 million or something? It's a lightweight standalone movie with peripheral ties to the events going on around it. In comics, we called issues that contained stories dropped in the middle of arcs for no reason "fillers." That's exactly what A-M&TW is: a space filler.


"Solo" was a bomb. It doesn't even compare with Antman. "Throw away" "space filler", call it what you want. My point is that Marvel can afford to do that. Do you really think DC can afford to put out a movie they KNOW is going to be a mediocre grossing film? I don't think so.

Monker wrote:DC fans can't even acknowledge that from Wonder Woman on DC is trying to emulate what Marvel has done.


:lol: You're a loon. Detractors spared no expense pre-release when it came to writing off Wonder Woman as some kind of imitator of The First Avenger, yet the former did something the latter did not: actually take the the audience on a legit, if brief, tour of the horrors of war.


LOL. So, you actually believe that WW was successful because it somehow shows "the horrors of war". That's complete bullshit and simply proves my point. It is a classic heroes journey from beginning to end. You'll never admit it...because you will admit being a hypocrite if you do.

It didn't matter if it wasn't Saving Private Ryan: The No Man's Land sequence is touted as one of the best CBM scenes ever. Walk your ass over to the Hype and read the DC haters praising Wonder Woman and NML because even they are unable to disavow what a fine film it is.


Of course it is a "fine" film. It is a fine film that relies heavily on telling a heroes journey...just as IM, CA, and Thor do, and probably Captain Marvel, too.

Monker wrote:The "dark" of DC is gone.


Another baseless assumption. Watch the Titans trailer.


My son saw it and told me it looks horrible.

Swamp Thing is coming. It doesn't matter if either won't be theatrical. Wan's one of the producers, and he said it's going to be horror. Joker is happening. It won't be a comedy. You think Reeves' The Batman is going to be Schumacher-esque fodder? :lol:


RIGHT NOW..."dark" doesn't exist in DC. And, for you to claim any of these FUTURE releases is going to be ANY specific way is very presumptuous....because of how random DC is acting. THAT is my point.

Monker wrote:Wonder Woman was a cookie cutter origin mythos tale.


At this point, you're going to look a lot smarter if you just stop commenting.


That is exactly what it is. A classic heroes journey type tale.

Monker wrote:The Superfriends movie was a bad parody of an Avengers movie.


Gee, I wonder why. Might have something to do with...what's his name again? Rhymes with...?


Because Snyder created films that DC/WB did not like so they replaced him and put Joss Wheedon in an impossible situation - to back off of Snyder's direction and go in the direction the execs wanted in only a few months and not go too far out of budget.

Monker wrote:DC is going to release a comedy film with Shazam which seems aimed at teens and younger.


A film WITH comedy. Not a comedy. Shazam! got an awesome trailer.


Please. It is joke after joke, subway scene, joke after joke after joke.

It's a fucking comedy...even moreso than the Marvel movies you critique for having too much comedy. When it is released, it is going to be laughed at as an accidental parody of superhero films. THAT is how bad it looks.

Monker wrote:Batman is turning its back on Batfleck and going back to a youthful Batman. You are being incredibly presumptuous if you believe it is going to be as dark of a story as the last trilogy. The state of DC is so random that you can NOT guarantee that.


I. Nowhere was it implied that every director DC hires commits to following a template set by a previous director. Because there is no template. Patty Jenkins is not Zack Snyder is not David S. Sandberg is not David Ayer is not Matt Reeves is not James Wan.

II. You don't know jack or shit where Matt Reeves' The Batman is concerned, except for what he's related, which isn't much, except that it will be a noir-styled detective vehicle. Wow, a younger Batman? Like that's some kind of revelation. In the last decade, we've seen a Batman in his early, mid and late thirties, followed by a fortysomething Batman inspired on Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. So a new director comes onboard and wants to do his own take. Wow. What a concept. What do you think is going to happen when Marvel reboots the X-peeps and the Fantastic Four-way? :lol:


"The Batman" started out as an Afleck project. Then someone else directing Afleck. Now it is axing Afleck and going younger. That history along with all of the other BS that has happened with DC over the last couple years tells me that believing with any certainty what "The Batman" is going to be like is a ridiculous concept and the act of a zombie that does not have a brain to think logically.

Monker wrote:The fact that you blindly support all of the above, and critique Marvel over making similar style films means you are at the very least being hypocritical.


More horseshit. And ffs, get a dictionary. It wouldn't make me hypocritical so much as biased. And that still isn't accurate, because I'm actually a fan of both publishers and I watch all these movies based on stories written and drawn years if not decades ago. Fools like you and RWF are the ones who like to piss in the punch, which is why you always leave the party accompanied by your right hand, citing "Better than nothing!" I have every right to critique the creeping tepidness of Marvel's slate. There's no reason it should be that way.


If there is "no reason" for Marvel to have too much comedy, release movies aimed at teens, not being "dark" enough...then tell me what the reason is that makes it OK for DC to do THE EXACT SAME THING?

And when they do change something, or give the reins to a director who doesn't give a fuck, like Taika Waititi, then things just get more silly. What does it say when Thor's arc in Infinity War outranks his entire third solo film? Is it supposed to be that way? Oh, it is? Then that's fine, I guess. :lol:


Yes, it IS fine...because Thor was set up to kill Thanos with his Thanos killing axe. When he showed up in Wakonda, he had the power to kill him..even with Thanos having all of the Infinity stones. Thor's axe hit its mark. But, because Thor was so full of himself and over confident and acting all on his own without the other Avengers reigning him in, his axe struck Thanos' chest instead of his head, enabling Thanos to perform the snap while Thor was gloating over him.

It is good story telling, ...something DC fans know little about.

Wait for Captain Marvel. You said you're into cookie sheets, right? :lol:


Correct. I expect Captain Marvel to be a well done and written heroes journey mythos tale, just like Wonder Woman.

"DC fans are jealous."


Yep...I think that is how you are acting.

"Marvel makes good movies that make lots of money."


Yep...that is a fact...not even an opinion.

"Wonder Woman 1984 won't be as successful."


Wont be as successful as what? There is not enough out there to really say much. From the small bit we have seen, I'm not that impressed. I doubt it will be as good or as successful as the the first WW movie.

Same smegma smoothie, different lunar cycle. You still sound like a shill. Take a vacay like TNC did and come back when you have something new to plate, ffs.


I post what I post when I want to post. I don't care if you read it, reply to it, or even acknowledge it exists. I write because I want to write something. To have motivation beyond that is very foolish in a forum like this one.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 9920
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:25 pm

verslibre wrote:
Not an ounce of sincerity in that remark, not after the way you repeatedly charged his taint with your hammerhead in the other thread.

Image


People can agree on some things and disagree on others.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 13521
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby verslibre » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:05 am

People normally don't get lynched over a mere disagreement. :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby verslibre » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:48 pm

Image
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:10 am

verslibre wrote:Image


Projections were recently wrong about Meg's box office performance. We will see...
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 13521
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby RedWingFan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:19 am

Sony should have asked Todd McFarlane how to improve Venom's look. Check out Todd's FB page where he draws over a photo of Venom's image. Great stuff.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
User avatar
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7813
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: The Peoples Republic of Michigan

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby verslibre » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:14 am

Monker wrote:The other thread is filled with zombie-like posts by you two. Oh, sure, you'll throw in the occasional minor critique but you still excuse the inexcusable (BAD story telling in both BvS and SS, for example), praise the slapstick comedy in Shazam previews while critiquing it in Marvel films.


Save it. You're the guy who slaps "good storytelling" stickers all over Feige's bum like band-aids after you cut him shaving. :lol:

Monker wrote:Marvel has EARNED their billion dollar spot in the film industry by releasing quality films that entertain. DC hasn't but you two praise DC and excuse the stupid decisions.


Correction: we've slammed WB plenty, I mean plenty, for their meddling. If you think otherwise, feel free to use the search function and scroll away.

Monker wrote:I didn't buy the cassette for ST, I bought the vinyl.


You bought both. Or are you so ancient the idea of using a Walkman in class was something that was never in your wheelhouse? :lol:

Monker wrote:And, you think you were emitting some type of coolness by being a comic book nerd?


I've always had an IDGAF mindset. Not to mention if you were a rocker, it didn't matter. 'Sides, DC was the publisher that almost singlehandedly elevated mainstream comics above dim-lit-back-of-the-library-only table reads with The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen. That's right, baby. But as I said, I never GAF.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:RWF even gloated about watching Wonder Woman without paying for it while it was still in theaters. His allegiance is more than apparent. That's fine, but you're taking his bait like a guy exposing his asshole to a leatherboy on Polk St. in San Francisco circa 1979.


Oh, please, I've posted stuff like this for a long time. I think you know I'm right and that is why you would rather talk about RWF and Steve Perry rather than why you can accept a comedy aimed at teens with Shazam but critique Marvel for doing the EXACT SAME THING with movies. You accept cookie cutter movies like WW, but say the EXACT SAME FORMULA is over done at Marvel. You know it's hypocritical...but will never admit it.


Yes, you think you're right. :lol: Again, a film with comedy or humor isn't automatically a flat-out comedy. A movie can be horrific without being straight-up horror. It's simple enough to me.

Speaking of flat-out hilarity, it's guffaw city to see you call Wonder Woman cookie cutter when Marvel just released two films with nearly identical plot outlines. (I've talked about this before; use the search.)

Monker wrote:You are taking my comment out of the context of my post where I said Marvel releases quality and entertaining films and EARNED those billion dollar films. And, yes, Black Panther and Infinity War are "good films"...much better than "good" In fact, I will say that if WW was released by Marvel it would have been a billion dollar film as well - because Marvel has EARNED a reputation of entertaining their audiences in a way that DC HAS NOT.


1) The brand didn't make Doctor Strange a billion dollar movie per your pseudo-prediction (use the search). Also, they released A-M&TW after Infinity War to maximize its reception. After 6-1/2 weeks in wide release, its domestic take is below Justice League's. Mojo's breakdown reveals epic weekly drops for every day of release, in the 40-60% zone. It just got knocked down to 13th place, so the rest of its money will have to come from China. Its foreign box office is lower than they anticipated, too (and the budget's still under wraps). Don't think Disney hasn't noticed.

2) Black Panther's overrated, sir. The third act is shaky and the most cookie-cuttin' third of the whole pie. The last action sequence also features some of the worst choreography and CGI in a Marvel movie. Makes you wonder why they went that way. Every other actor stole their scenes with Boseman, who inadvertently rewrote the playbook on stoicism. Almost like they wanted to make him the anti-Downey. Everyone ended up liking Killmonger.

3) OF COURSE Infinity War did gangbusters. How could it not? It only features a villain they'd been building to since 2012 and nearly every MCU character is in the movie. It promised big battles, big VFX, big death. Like The Dark Knight Rises, it's extremely ambitious yet not perfect, It's just unfortunate how they sidelined Thanos' obsession with the persona of Death, but that's neither here nor there now.

Monker wrote:LOL! I think Marvel gives a shit how well their movies do.


"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one." Yeah, they want everything to kick ass but they have to realize by now that not everything will. That's why I posted the numbers for A-M&TW above. Now imagine if that movie opened in Fall. It wouldn't have done that well. That would have pushed Rudd right off the shelf as a headliner. :lol:

Monker wrote:Your comments about Rudd are hilarious.


I'm on the moh-nay. Peyton Reed even said he thinks Wasp should headline an all-female Avengers movie. In the comics, Hawkeye led the WCA (West Coast Avengers) in their own book. I wouldn't be surprised if they modified the concept and went with all chicks, because, you know, $$$$$$. :wink:

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:Self-contained movies with mid-credits scenes to thread the continuity.


Even if I concede your point, it is still more than what DC has done.


Yep, there's the Marvel Zombie talkin'...snarling and biting. :lol:

Monker wrote:"Solo" was a bomb. It doesn't even compare with Antman. "Throw away" "space filler", call it what you want. My point is that Marvel can afford to do that. Do you really think DC can afford to put out a movie they KNOW is going to be a mediocre grossing film? I don't think so.


Wait, so now you're agreeing with me? I thought you said they care how well their films do. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Monker wrote:LOL. So, you actually believe that WW was successful because it somehow shows "the horrors of war". That's complete bullshit and simply proves my point.


For a guy who waxes high 'n mighty, your reading comprehension seems shaky. Prove to me how what I said is "complete bullshit." You can't — because it's not. That's not the sole reason it was a success; it was one component. You'll dance around it because you're on some unholy quest to stake Marvel's flag on every hilltop you drive by in your puke-green '85 Journey-stickered Yugo. :lol:

Monker wrote:It is a classic heroes journey from beginning to end. You'll never admit it...because you will admit being a hypocrite if you do.


So now it's "classic" and not "cookie cutter." Make up your mind. It's an origin film based primarily on George Pérez's 1986 reboot. That's why you see his name spaced above the other creators' in the credits. As they did with Iron Man when they retooled his Cold War origin to Viet Nam, and then Afghanistan, certain elements were retained and others kept. But the initial premise remains: Diana leaves Paradise Island/Themyscira and ends up fighting the Axis/German forces.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:It didn't matter if it wasn't Saving Private Ryan: The No Man's Land sequence is touted as one of the best CBM scenes ever. Walk your ass over to the Hype and read the DC haters praising Wonder Woman and NML because even they are unable to disavow what a fine film it is.


Of course it is a "fine" film. It is a fine film that relies heavily on telling a heroes journey...just as IM, CA, and Thor do, and probably Captain Marvel, too.


So those are cookie cutter movies? That's what you mean, right? You're the one who seems bent on analogizing the Heroes' Journey with cookie-cutter storytelling. I don't see anyone else around here doing it.

Monker wrote:My son saw [Titans] and told me it looks horrible.


Yay.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:Swamp Thing is coming. It doesn't matter if either won't be theatrical. Wan's one of the producers, and he said it's going to be horror. Joker is happening. It won't be a comedy. You think Reeves' The Batman is going to be Schumacher-esque fodder? :lol:


RIGHT NOW..."dark" doesn't exist in DC.


^Look, he can backpedal.

Monker wrote:And, for you to claim any of these FUTURE releases is going to be ANY specific way is very presumptuous ....because of how random DC is acting. THAT is my point.


DC's film roster won't be largely monochromatic like Marvel's. Prove me wrong. Oh, you can't? Bummer.

Monker wrote:That is exactly what it is. A classic heroes journey type tale.


Never seen another so effectively emulate scratched vinyl. :lol:

Monker wrote:Because Snyder created films that DC/WB did not like so they replaced him and put Joss Wheedon in an impossible situation - to back off of Snyder's direction and go in the direction the execs wanted in only a few months and not go too far out of budget.


Yes: Whedon failed. He turned the most badass Batman we ever got into a JOKE — Batfleck was rendered meme fodder. What part of that don't you get? He reshot stuff that didn't require it. The movie's production budget was 200M and by the end it was easily another 100M. Notice how Joss no longer is writing & directing Batgirl? Think there may be a reason for that? He even said (paraphrasing) "is there a sexier way to say I failed?" He made it sound like he had "no story" for Batgirl, but that makes no sense. It was the project he wanted as soon as he saw the block letters on a grid in what was originally called the "Snydercave." There's no doubt in my mind that Joss was referring to the failure of JL. He even liked a tweet from somebody who said Steppenwolf who said he was the worst CBM villain ever. If that isn't an admission, I don't know what is. :wink:

Stop impersonating an ostrich and wake up: the best parts of Justice League are Snyder's. Glaringly so, even. And the movie's edited so savagely, the scenes don't breathe (I mean all of them) except maybe one or two.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:A film WITH comedy. Not a comedy. Shazam! got an awesome trailer.


Please. It is joke after joke, subway scene, joke after joke after joke.


Just like Iron Man 3, Ant-Man, Thor: Ragnarok? Joke after joke after joke? Those films are comedies? Well, thanks for admitting it. It's a dirty job, but some Marvel fanboy's gotta do it.

Monker wrote:It's a fucking comedy...even moreso than the Marvel movies you critique for having too much comedy. When it is released, it is going to be laughed at as an accidental parody of superhero films. THAT is how bad it looks.


You're in the minority, bub. The trailer landed. It's sequenced perfectly, looks great, gives nothing major away, and had everyone talking about it when Aquaman was supposed to be the shiznit of Hall H.

Monker wrote:"The Batman" started out as an Afleck project. Then someone else directing Afleck. Now it is axing Afleck and going younger.


Who's Afleck? Somebody related to Ben Affleck? Ben still has a movie in his contract. Batfleck isn't completely done.

Monker wrote:That history along with all of the other BS that has happened with DC over the last couple years tells me that believing with any certainty what "The Batman" is going to be like is a ridiculous concept and the act of a zombie that does not have a brain to think logically.


That's what Reeves said. "Noir-driven." Is noir synonymous with comedy or lighthearted fare? What are you expecting, a sequel to Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid? You're the zombie. A zombie can't reason. A zombie can't rationzalize. You're a zombie. The only thing that sets you apart is how chafed you are from the marathon stroke-off resulting from the release of new music from Esteban Pereira. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Monker wrote:If there is "no reason" for Marvel to have too much comedy, release movies aimed at teens, not being "dark" enough...then tell me what the reason is that makes it OK for DC to do THE EXACT SAME THING?


DC's not doing it in every movie, Chief Moronus. It's character-specific. Notice how Gal Gadot didn't act like Lynda Carter? It's called being different. :roll: :lol:

Monker wrote:Yes, it IS fine...because Thor was set up to kill Thanos with his Thanos killing axe.


:lol: It's called Stormbreaker, doof. He got it in the comics, but it wasn't to use against Thanos. Read Walt Simonson's epic run. He did for Thor what Frank Miller did for Daredevil.

Monker wrote:It is good story telling, ...something DC fans know little about.


:lol: Talk about bias!

Monker wrote:Correct. I expect Captain Marvel to be a well done and written heroes journey mythos tale, just like Wonder Woman.


You mean it'll be cookie cutter. That's the lingo you sling, WingDing.

Monker wrote:
"DC fans are jealous."


Yep...I think that is how you are acting.


No, your bias is showing. That's all.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:"Marvel makes good movies that make lots of money."


Yep...that is a fact...not even an opinion.


Avatar made a lot of money. It's also overrated. I sense a theme.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:"Wonder Woman 1984 won't be as successful."


Wont be as successful as what? There is not enough out there to really say much. From the small bit we have seen, I'm not that impressed. I doubt it will be as good or as successful as the the first WW movie.


That it won't be as successful as the first film, per your previous remarks in the DC thread. Search function, bruh.

Monker wrote:I post what I post when I want to post. I don't care if you read it, reply to it, or even acknowledge it exists. I write because I want to write something. To have motivation beyond that is very foolish in a forum like this one.


Considering what a mess you make of HTML tags, yeah, I probably won't bother.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby verslibre » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 am

"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby verslibre » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:48 am

Here they are: the first official set pix from Captain Marvel. Her hair looks good. She looks the part, except the costume could be better.

OTOH, the Skrulls look kind of...average.

Image
Image
Image
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby verslibre » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:00 am

Image
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby verslibre » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:09 am

The Captain Marvel trailer could be a lot better. Brie's got the charisma of plywood.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby RedWingFan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:05 am

verslibre wrote:The Captain Marvel trailer could be a lot better. Brie's got the charisma of plywood.

Agreed on both points.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
User avatar
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7813
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: The Peoples Republic of Michigan

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:27 pm

verslibre wrote:The Captain Marvel trailer could be a lot better. Brie's got the charisma of plywood.


If Henry Cavill was wooden as Superman then Brie is fucking sawdust! Oof.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2554
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby verslibre » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:47 am

There's just no "WOW!" moment. And the shot of them flying through space was funny. There's a dude with big antennae who reminds me of the nyborg snorter from Heavy Metal. Danvers' helmet with a faux-hawk...yikes!
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby verslibre » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:12 am

We're finally getting the Dark Phoenix trailer tonight.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby verslibre » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:38 am

X-Men: Dark Phoenix trailer. I like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-Fwhb-p1sQ
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby RedWingFan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:37 am

Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
User avatar
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7813
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: The Peoples Republic of Michigan

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby verslibre » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:44 am

Venom's taken a critical beating, but audiences don't agree: It's tracking 32% ahead of Ant-Man & The Wasp. After ten days, it's grossed 378 million WW, so I'm sure Sony's happy. You can bet Spider-Man will at least cameo in the next film, even if they use an actor who isn't Holland.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Previous

Return to Earmuffs For The Blind

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests