Sammy Hagar latest battle with his former Van Halen bandmate

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Sammy Hagar latest battle with his former Van Halen bandmate

Postby tater1977 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:14 am

http://www.hennemusic.com/2015/06/sammy ... rying.html

Snapshot.jpg
Snapshot.jpg (86.54 KiB) Viewed 1941 times

THE EDDIE TRUNK PODCAST

http://podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/ep ... pid=515312

-interview starts at 14.40

ET- Sammy Hagar

On this week's exclusive interview on The Eddie Trunk Podcast, Sammy Hagar breaks the news of his latest battle with his former Van Halen bandmates. In addition to explaining his side of the feud and how these issues have escalated, The Red Rocker also talks his latest Cabo ventures, Chickenfoot, Joe Satriani, and more on this special episode!
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: Sammy Hagar latest battle with his former Van Halen band

Postby SF-Dano » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:17 am

Man Ed is just a crusty, old, POS. The man hasn't done anything musically relevant in decades.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/sammy-hagar-slams-eddie-van-halen-youre-a-liar-20150620
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Postby Moose » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:15 am

The way Ed continues to crush Mikey is classless and shameful. He is incapable of taking the high road.
Moose
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:36 am

Fuck Eddie Van Halen.

Musicians need to learn to shut the fuck and play. I hate when people say something that is such obvious bullshit. Yea, like anyone would ever believe Michael Anthony is just a simple little bass player that Eddie has to direct.

Isn't fame enough? Isn't the money enough? Somehow you have to be the end all-be all? I love Sammy's response and I would have loved it even if I wasn't a Sammy fan. Fuck you is absolutely the best and only response to Eddie's comments. If anyone buys into Eddie's comments, they are delusional and blind.

If everyone around you is an asshole, you're the asshole.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:39 am

EVH's shenanigans are the stuff of legend...only they're not, they're the dripped-down distillations of sick, twisted, ugly truths that Sam is right about keeping in the public eye. Michael Anthony has been a class act from Day One and his former friend Ed continues to spare no expense when it comes to slighting his name and reputation. Nobody falls for it.

Nowadays, VH is a brand more than a band, and Ed indirectly admits that when he says he's not that into Dave as a bandmate, but will continue to perform with him to bring in the bucks and ride the coattails of old glories.

Dave sounds like shit, while Sammy still sounds amazing. Here's what he sounded like on tour in 2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=552e032e-0000-29f6-9ec6-001a113f7798&feature=iv&src_vid=9dnFzRxD_G8&v=FOHLG2P-7_M
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:50 am

Lately, Sammy seems hard-up for cash. A string of sub-par solo albums and now he even has a cookbook coming out. That said, it's hard not to agree with him here. In addition to throwing MA under the bus, Eddie also inexplicably criticizes Gary Cherone's choice of wardrobe. Is he fucking serious? DLR was the king of leotards, spandex, and assless chaps. :roll:
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Fact Finder » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:39 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Lately, Sammy seems hard-up for cash. A string of sub-par solo albums and now he even has a cookbook coming out. That said, it's hard not to agree with him here. In addition to throwing MA under the bus, Eddie also inexplicably criticizes Gary Cherone's choice of wardrobe. Is he fucking serious? DLR was the king of leotards, spandex, and assless chaps. :roll:

Doubt Sammy is hard up for more cash...

Sammy Hagar Sold Cabo Wabo Tequila for How Much?

You’ve probably heard stories about aging rock stars who find themselves playing weddings and bar mitzvahs at the back end of their career, as the record deals dry up and fans dwindle. That most likely won’t be the story for former Van Halen rocker Sammy Hagar. After all, in 2010, Sammy Hagar sold his 20% stake in Cabo Wabo Tequila to Italy’s Gruppo Campari for $11 million dollars!

At one time, Hagar owned the entire Cabo Wabo Tequila company. But in 2008, he sold 80% of the company to Campari for $80 million, explaining that they could help with worldwide distribution since, as Hagar said, “I don’t like working that hard.” That’s $91 million for Hagar over three years, for those of you scoring at home. He’d have to play a lot of bar mitzvahs to make that kind of scratch.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby verslibre » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:38 am

Yeah, Sammy is most definitely not hard up for cash. His toilet paper rolls are threaded from $50 bills.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:39 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Eddie also inexplicably criticizes Gary Cherone's choice of wardrobe. Is he fucking serious? DLR was the king of leotards, spandex, and assless chaps. :roll:

No kidding. DLR even took it up a notch when he went solo.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Memorex » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:34 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Lately, Sammy seems hard-up for cash. A string of sub-par solo albums and now he even has a cookbook coming out. That said, it's hard not to agree with him here. In addition to throwing MA under the bus, Eddie also inexplicably criticizes Gary Cherone's choice of wardrobe. Is he fucking serious? DLR was the king of leotards, spandex, and assless chaps. :roll:

I think it's just him trying to find interesting ways to release things. I think you see that in a lot of older acts. I'm sure money isn't a factor in this. Anyone that releases an album today for financial reasons is a fool.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby birdynumnum » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:30 am

I have a Guitar World magazine that has an old EVH interview from the Fair Warning days and even back then he was saying almost the same thing about MA. Pretty fascinating. I guess he always felt, even in their glory days, that MA was taking a free ride (rightly or wrongly).
birdynumnum
Radio Waves

Postby tater1977 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:25 pm

Edward Van Halen FIRED from VAN HALEN!

Posted on June 22, 2015 by nomoredavegrohl

https://nomoredavegrohl.wordpress.com/2 ... van-halen/

Burbank, CA –

This has been one crazy week in the Van Halen camp. First guitar god Eddie Van Halen, gives a scathing interview to Billboard Magazine, about the lack of talent and work ethic of the past and current members of Van Halen.

The backlash was swift and fiery as fans of the band came to the defense of long time bassist Michael Anthony.

Anthony, known for his bong rattling bass and easy going demeanor, remained silent. But former Van Halen front man and singer, Sammy Hagar came back swinging with allegations that Eddie was a liar.

In an effort to minimize the damage to the Van Halen brand, Warner Brothers Records President Al McHumphry, released the following statement.

In light of recent events concerning the Billboard Magazine interview. We have asked the powers that be in the Van Halen Band that they release Edward Van Halen from any further obligations, now and in the future when it comes to the Van Halen Franchise.

While we will miss Edward and his contribution to the success of Van Halen. We find his attitude “piss poor” and we have verifiable evidence of “sand in his vagina.” This has made him a liability to the band.

The Van Halen will be replacing Edward with adequate blues guitarist George Thorogood. And bassist Wolfgang Van Halen will be replaced with original bassist Michael Anthony. Alex Van Halen will remain with the group, as will current singer David Lee Roth.

We hope you will understand that douche-baggery will not be tolerated. We took it for granted that Roth was lying when he was fired. When Hagar left due to similar circumstances, we assumed it was a clash of egos. Michael Anthony is relatively harmless. We have narrowed it down to Edward who is the prick. So we have let him go.

Sincerely
Al McHumphry
Cock of the walk at Warner Brothers Records.

In a statement to CNN, Roth commented on the situation. “I was telling Alex….Alex man! Do you like that song Bad to the Bone? Yeah… I do too. So I made a few calls and finally reached George on his break. I said…. GT you can quit the job at the Joan’s Wholesale Mattress Factory Outlet and come gig with the Van Halen! He’s showin’ Mikey how to play Bad to the Bone right now.

Dave Grohl is upset for not being considered for the open guitarist spot.

Roth’s reply was “Dave Grohl, The Foos were yesterday’s news! People will pay to hear THIS Van Halen play…With George Thorogood.

When asked what the new set lists will contain, Roth replied “So far just Bad to the Bone. But Van Halen is like a party favor. Everyone loves a party favor!!!! BBBB BAD!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Jeremey » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:15 am

Sammy is the Mark Cuban of Rock and Roll ...

He is one of the sharpest and most successful businessmen in rock and roll – he began his empire buying up real estate during his days in Montrose. By the time he joined Van Halen, he had started one of the world's first mountain bike companies right down the road from the Journey guys in Corte Madeira CA. He founded Cabo Wabo down in Cabo San Lucas with the guys in Van Halen. When they got sick of it, he bought them all out and built a hospitality empire. Fact Finder mentioned his $90 million tequila deal from a few years ago, and he jumped back into the business with "Sammy Hagar's Beach Bar Rum." A cookbook is the natural extension of his brand. When you see him in the news defending Mike Anthony or getting into the ring with Ed, it's not because he's hard up for attention or cash. He's a smart, genuine guy who cares about his "family." Plus he knows the value of publicity.

He's the $120 million man who happens to sing and play guitar like a motherfucker. :)
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:09 am

Jeremey wrote:When you see him in the news defending Mike Anthony or getting into the ring with Ed, it's not because he's hard up for attention or cash. He's a smart, genuine guy who cares about his "family." Plus he knows the value of publicity.

I never stated or implied that Sammy's defense of Michael Anthony was anything less than sincere. However, his recent solo output has been weak with albums like "Lite Roast" reeking of a cash grab. And now his new solo band, The Circle, already has a concert DVD. How long have they been touring? Maybe a year? At most? You say a cookbook is a natural extension of his brand. I say it has about as much creative integrity as a Gene Simmons brand tongue-shaped dental dam. Cheap, tacky, and a little desperate.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Jeremey » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:24 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:However, his recent solo output has been weak with albums like "Lite Roast" reeking of a cash grab. And now his new solo band, The Circle, already has a concert DVD. How long have they been touring? Maybe a year? At most?

And I'm not defending the quality of Hagar's recent output – Or anything since he left Van Halen, for that matter. I haven't liked any solo Sammy material since "Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy." But the guy isn't making these records for money – that's not even up for debate. He's having fun on his own dime because he already has more money than he can spend.

You say a cookbook is a natural extension of his brand. I say it has about as much creative integrity as a Gene Simmons brand tongue-shaped dental dam. Cheap, tacky, and a little desperate.

I'm not sure how you connect "creative integrity" to "natural extension of his brand" but I will say this ...

Sammy made his millions as a restauranteur and marketing private label liquor brands, so it would seem to fit his "brand" pretty well to venture into other revenue streams in that same niche (such as publishing) ... I can't imagine how anyone could argue otherwise.

Gene Simmons' fortune primarily came from music, and his brand and image, and licensing that brand and image. So of course it would also be believable that he would license a tongue shaped dental dam.

I'm sorry, man, I just don't understand how you're making an apples to apples comparison between Sammy Hagar's business enterprises and Gene Simmons'.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby birdynumnum » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:04 pm

[quote] He's a smart, genuine guy who cares about his "family." [/quote]

Not sure about that. Did you read his book Red? The things he says about his first wife, who obviously had mental health issues was pretty despicable I thought. He exposed her weaknesses to the world for sensationalism. Same thing with Eddy, although some of the stuff he wrote was fascinating to read, it was way too personal I thought and did cross a line.

EVH is at least consistent. As per my previous post, even over 30 years ago he said that MA did not contribute anything to VH, although I do think his vocals do make a difference.
birdynumnum
Radio Waves

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:37 pm

Jeremey wrote:But the guy isn't making these records for money – that's not even up for debate. He's having fun on his own dime because he already has more money than he can spend.

So I said Sammy "seems hard up for cash." Whether he's actually rolling in it or not, (don't know, don't care, and not the point really), the constant output of inferior product appears desperate. 'Lite Roast' was just the latest sorry excuse for a release. And unless you are privy to his personal finances, which I highly doubt, you just sound like an overly sensitive fanboy.

Jeremey wrote:Sammy made his millions as a restauranteur and marketing private label liquor brands, so it would seem to fit his "brand" pretty well to venture into other revenue streams in that same niche (such as publishing) ... I can't imagine how anyone could argue otherwise.

Actually, to most people who aren't Sammy sycophants, Hagar is the ex-singer of VH, who just happens to also hawk tequila and XXXL Hawaiian shirts. If I walked around midtown Manhattan and asked people to play a word association game, how many would respond "chef" after I said "Sammy Hagar"? The answer, if you are truly being honest, is zero. If you were as much a Pat Boone fan as a Sammy fan, you would probably be arguing that hawking Walk-In Bathtubs on late nite TV is a natural extension of the Boone marketing empire. Please, spare me the bullshit. When a celebrity starts cranking out ghost-written cookbooks, he or she is usually a few bounced checks away from appearing on VH1's Surreal Life/Celebrity Fat Camp/Wife Swap etc. Or maybe all three.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby steveo777 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:37 pm

Sorry TNC....as much as I love reading your posts, your ass has been owned by Jeremey. He had sense and you didn't. Your analogies were 180 out and he won. Sycophant the elephant that is in my pants! ;)
steveo777
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:03 am

steveo777 wrote:Sorry TNC....as much as I love reading your posts, your ass has been owned by Jeremey. He had sense and you didn't. Your analogies were 180 out and he won. Sycophant the elephant that is in my pants! ;)

Perhaps. Jeremy is one smart dude and I am obviously in enemy territory here. Imo you guys are too attached with the artist to face basic facts. Maybe when Sammy starts putting out more crap like "Get Your Juicebox Buzz On!: A Kid's Guide to Partying Before Bedtime" or skull-shaped tequila bottle keychains and other chachkas, you will see it my way. Right now, you guys are giving him a total pass. He is no Jimmy Buffet, and I fully expect to see his cookbook in the Barnes & Noble bargain bin, where it fucking belongs!
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:06 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:When a celebrity starts cranking out ghost-written cookbooks, he or she is usually a few bounced checks away from appearing on VH1's Surreal Life/Celebrity Fat Camp/Wife Swap etc. Or maybe all three.

I don't disagree with that, but Sammy really has indulged the "life is a party" lifestyle for decades now. He opened Cabo Wabo Cantina — which the Van Halen bros bought a stake in, and then asked for it back when it hemorrhaged money during its first three years of existence — which they alleged was deliberate on Sammy's part to own it all again, which is juvenile and petty, to say the least. I've seen two sources say Sammy's net worth is around $120 million and $220 million (more likely, considering all his ventures and the $91M sale of his tequila brand).

The Circle's live DVD seems premature, but they're going to record and original album, and I hope it's better than the Chickenfoot albums. Those were steps back in the right direction for Sammy, but too simplistic, too ordinary sounding. Bonehead rawk. Lite Roast (LOL, that title)...yeah, I won't bother. (I had Livin' It Up and ditched it.) The first few post-VH Sammy/Wabos albums — Marching to Mars, Red Voodoo, Ten 13 — are great, especially M2M.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby yulog » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:19 am

Barnes and Noble has a bargain bin?
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby JohnH » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:10 pm

Sammy is definitely rich beyond imagination. To infer he 's desperate and needs money is just absurd . The Tequila company recently sold for 80-90 million alone. I think he'd be rich just for Van Hagar alone . The business have made him filthy rich!!!
JohnH
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:10 am

JohnH wrote:To infer he 's desperate and needs money is just absurd.

When rockers start cranking up ovens instead of amps, then, yeh, it's desperate. If the Red Rocker is sooo wealthy, he should take the time to release a good solo album. What's next? Selling "Little Sammy Homemaker Easy Bake Ovens"? As for the "absurd" idea of a celebrity needing cash...two words: Nicholas Cage.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby JohnH » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:56 am

I see what you mean but Sammy is doing whatever he feels like at this point. Not for money. And the reason no original albums is because of money, since you can get it free on you tube the day it comes out and he sells 30k copies.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby JohnH » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:59 am

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articl ... o-tequila/

for over 80 years. This is how Cabo Wabo Tequila was born. By 1999 the Tequila came in four different flavors and was being distributed in the US by a Napa Valley based wine importer. Cabo Wabo Tequila was an instant hit on American liquor shelves, selling nearly 40,000 cases in its first year alone. By 2006, the company was selling 150,000 cases per year and generated $60 million in revenue. Cabo Wabo is the second best selling premium tequila in The US, behind Jose Cuervo.
While Cabo Wabo Tequila was a huge hit in The US, it was still unavailable internationally, so in 2007 Sammy began seeking a new distribution partner. In his own words at the time: "If you have a hit you need distribution. You can approach distributors in each country or you can go to Warner Bros or Universal or the other big boys so the world can hear your hit." In May of 2007, Hagar struck a deal with the Italian beverage company Gruppo Campari to sell 80% of his Cabo Wabo Tequila company for a whopping $80 million! Three years later, Campari paid Hagar a $4 million earn-out bonus and bought the remaining 20% of the company for $11 million, bringing his total take from the deal to $94 million.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby Fact Finder » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:12 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
JohnH wrote:To infer he 's desperate and needs money is just absurd.

When rockers start cranking up ovens instead of amps, then, yeh, it's desperate. If the Red Rocker is sooo wealthy, he should take the time to release a good solo album. What's next? Selling "Little Sammy Homemaker Easy Bake Ovens"? As for the "absurd" idea of a celebrity needing cash...two words: Nicholas Cage.

I guess you have a problem with these guys then... :roll:

https://joeperrysrockyourworld.com BBQ Sauce

Grace Potters KindFoods Snacks

Fiddy Cents Vitamin Water

Dan Aykroyd Crystal Head Vodka

Ludacris' Conjure Cognac

Nellys Pimpjuice

Marilyn Mansons Absinthe "Mansinthe"

Danny Devitos Lemoncello

Kardashians Fast -Shake Weight Loss Drink :lol:

Mr. T's Breakfast Cereal

Newmans Own

Linda McCartneys Vegan Meals

I hardly think that McCartney, Kardashains, Fiddy, et al needed the money. YMMV.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Memorex » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:22 am

I like when Artists are smart and make other money. Number one, it employs more people. Number two, they are telling the world, "yup, I know I won't sell forever - almost no one ever does." and they take responsibility for ensuring their wealth. Athletes do it. Do you complain when athletes do commercials?

That said, I agree with TNC in that if an artist has wealth, then they ought naught release sub-par music. Because they have the resources not to. If Sammy is going to take the time to create and actual release something to the public, he of all artists has the resources to take his time and put all the effort in. Now, I think his effort has always been to put thought and time in, but also just to jam out what feels good. And in the past, that sold very well. But after a bunch of albums, you have to evolve or stop selling. So Sammy is just doing what Sammy has always done, but the people are not turned on by it like the past.

So if albums don't sell, and you are not evolving, then just go play live and don't ask me to buy something that you haven't put all your heart and soul into.

It's kind of a slap in the face to up and coming artists that may not get a look because money is being spent on a multi-millionaire that is just pumping stuff out.

That said, I love nearly everything about Sammy. He's created a great life for himself.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:58 pm

Fact Finder wrote:

I guess you have a problem with these guys then... :roll:

https://joeperrysrockyourworld.com BBQ Sauce

Grace Potters KindFoods Snacks

Fiddy Cents Vitamin Water

Dan Aykroyd Crystal Head Vodka

Ludacris' Conjure Cognac

Nellys Pimpjuice

Marilyn Mansons Absinthe "Mansinthe"

Danny Devitos Lemoncello

Kardashians Fast -Shake Weight Loss Drink :lol:

Mr. T's Breakfast Cereal

Newmans Own

Linda McCartneys Vegan Meals

I hardly think that McCartney, Kardashains, Fiddy, et al needed the money. YMMV.

A few things....

I NEVER said that all celebrity endorsements/products are bad. Never said that.

If you're trying to stand up for Sammy, by comparing him to the porn slut Kardashian, you are really doing him no favors.

And YES, many of these items really do sound tacky and desperate. Not sure what condiments will be on your picnic table this 4th of July, but "Joe Perry's rockin BBQ sauce" won't touch mine.

I would tell you to stick to arguing politics, FF, but as we both know, you're no good at that either. :wink:
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Return to Death By Stereo