RIP Wes Craven

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

RIP Wes Craven

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:22 am

K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3440
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:19 am

Re: RIP Wes Craven

Postby verslibre » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:06 am

The movies of his I liked best: The Last House on the Left (original 1972 film) and The Serpent and the Rainbow (1987). RIP.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5013
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: RIP Wes Craven

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:08 am

One of my fellow Clevelanders, and my favorite horror film director.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3546
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: The Best Location In the Nation

Re: RIP Wes Craven

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:14 am

A true genius in the horror genre that Hollywood is terribly missing. This hole will never be filled. Craven was the creator of one of my most favorite all-time movies and characters ever to step foot in the pop culture limelight (A Nightmare on Elm Street; Freddy Krueger.) R.I.P, Wes.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2287
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: RIP Wes Craven

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:53 am

verslibre wrote:The movies of his I liked best: The Last House on the Left (original 1972 film) and The Serpent and the Rainbow (1987). RIP.



Didn't care for the original Last House. Movie is sort of all over the place with traumatic scenes of rape intercut with a bumbling comic relief Sheriff and his Deputy. I thought the Craven-produced remake was actually better. No doubt Craven left a long legacy of classics. Hills Have Eyes, Elm Street, Scream, Swamp Thing, People Under the Stairs...etc. What a filmography! Among the horror giants, John Carpenter and George Romero and Dario Argento are still with us.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 12420
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: RIP Wes Craven

Postby verslibre » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:26 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
verslibre wrote:The movies of his I liked best: The Last House on the Left (original 1972 film) and The Serpent and the Rainbow (1987). RIP.



Didn't care for the original Last House. Movie is sort of all over the place with traumatic scenes of rape intercut with a bumbling comic relief Sheriff and his Deputy. I thought the Craven-produced remake was actually better. No doubt Craven left a long legacy of classics. Hills Have Eyes, Elm Street, Scream, Swamp Thing, People Under the Stairs...etc. What a filmography! Among the horror giants, John Carpenter and George Romero and Dario Argento are still with us.


I like the rawness of the original LHotL. Like I Spit on Your Grave, there's this unsettling vibe that crescendos until you realize "we're fucked!"

Craven, Carpenter, Romero and Argento are indeed horror royalty, and while I don't rank him on the same level for lack of consistency, I give Tobe Hooper a nod for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre — another '70s horror classic very much of its time, so much so that repeated attempts to recapture its spirit and scares have failed miserably. The "grandpa scene" is something that worked once, which is why the original movie holds up today. The remake with Jessica Biel and R. Lee Ermey was awful, and they didn't even bother redoing that scene because it's not feasible.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5013
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: RIP Wes Craven

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:31 am

verslibre wrote:I like the rawness of the original LHotL. Like I Spit on Your Grave, there's this unsettling vibe that crescendos until you realize "we're fucked!"


Yea, both LHOTL and ISOYG are nihilistic and fairly bleak. The comedic elements in the original Last House took me out of the movie. Did you see the ISOYG remake? Not bad, but like most remakes, not essential either.

Another Chainsaw is coming our way soon....this one shows Leatherface's childhood. :roll:
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 12420
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: RIP Wes Craven

Postby verslibre » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:56 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Another Chainsaw is coming our way soon....this one shows Leatherface's childhood. :roll:


As if showing us Vader's childhood wasn't stupid enough!
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5013
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: RIP Wes Craven

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:43 am

I had really been hoping to see a Freddy VS Jason VS Michael movie, or a Freddy VS Michael.
I had expected that Freddy VS Jason was going to suck, but I wound up liking it quite a bit.

From what I've heard though, the Freddy VS Jason VS Michael thing will not happen.

I would have loved to have seen Craven, Carpenter and Cunningham co-write and co-direct a Freddy VS Jason VS Michael movie.
Last edited by Journey/Survivor on Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3546
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: The Best Location In the Nation

Re: RIP Wes Craven

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:51 am

verslibre wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Another Chainsaw is coming our way soon....this one shows Leatherface's childhood. :roll:


As if showing us Vader's childhood wasn't stupid enough!


One of the many things that I didn't like about the Rob Zombie remake of Halloween was how he gave us all of that background on Michael's childhood. Knowing that stuff only detracted from the movie IMO.

I also hate all of the added stuff at the beginning of Peter Jackson's version of King Kong. IMO it was boring as hell and made the film too long. I much prefer the 1933 and 1976 versions of King Kong.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3546
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: The Best Location In the Nation

Re: RIP Wes Craven

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:45 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:I had really been hoping to see a Freddy VS Jason VS Michael movie, or a Freddy VS Michael.
I had expected that Freddy VS Jason was going to suck, but I wound up liking it quite a bit.

From what I've heard though, the Freddy VS Jason VS Michael thing will not happen.

I would have loved to have seen Craven, Carpenter and Cunningham co-write and co-direct a Freddy VS Jason, VS Michael movie.


Ash from Army of Darkness would have been one helluva sequel to FvJ and the right course of action as far as story development and what character would make sense to follow FvJ.

I know that was in development for years, but never saw the light of day. A shame since Englund was ready to come back as Freddy for at least another round. Huge missed opportunity because like you say, turns out, FvJ was liked by many. I had a blast with that one.

You could always do a Jason VS Michael at anytime. Easy casting since they wear masks and jumpsuits. Freddy is still tricky and another reboot of A Nightmare on Elm Street is in the pipeline. They should have got another film out of Englund while they could as Freddy. Jackie Earl Haley didn't quite work out. His look was horrendous and laughable. Jump-scare city.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2287
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: RIP Wes Craven

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:47 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:I had really been hoping to see a Freddy VS Jason VS Michael movie, or a Freddy VS Michael.
I had expected that Freddy VS Jason was going to suck, but I wound up liking it quite a bit.

From what I've heard though, the Freddy VS Jason VS Michael thing will not happen.

I would have loved to have seen Craven, Carpenter and Cunningham co-write and co-direct a Freddy VS Jason, VS Michael movie.


Ash from Army of Darkness would have been one helluva sequel to FvJ and the right course of action as far as story development and what character would make sense to follow FvJ.

I know that was in development for years, but never saw the light of day. A shame since Englund was ready to come back as Freddy for at least another round. Huge missed opportunity because like you say, turns out, FvJ was liked by many. I had a blast with that one.

You could always do a Jason VS Michael at anytime. Easy casting since they wear masks and jumpsuits. Freddy is still tricky and another reboot of A Nightmare on Elm Street is in the pipeline. They should have got another film out of Englund while they could as Freddy. Jackie Earl Haley didn't quite work out. His look was horrendous and laughable. Jump-scare city.


Agreed, JEH sucked as Freddy by comparison to RE.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3546
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: The Best Location In the Nation

Re: RIP Wes Craven

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:00 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:I know that was in development for years, but never saw the light of day. A shame since Englund was ready to come back as Freddy for at least another round. Huge missed opportunity because like you say, turns out, FvJ was liked by many. I had a blast with that one.


I believe the treatment for Freddy vs Jason vs Ash film was turned into a comic book. The project came very close to being greenlit. I'm surprised there hasn't been a Freddy vs Jason 2 in some form. The film was a hit. It was recently reported that Elm Street is being rebooted again. Hopefully they throw bags of cash at Englund and bring him back. Money talks, and Englund has always been an under appreciated actor.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 12420
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: RIP Wes Craven

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:12 am

I'm surprised there hasn't been a Freddy vs Jason 2 in some form. The film was a hit. It was recently reported that Elm Street is being rebooted again. Hopefully they throw bags of cash at Englund and bring him back. Money talks, and Englund has always been an under appreciated actor.


I know Englund was all for reprising the role after Freddy vs Jason and pushed hard for a sequel. I remember his interviews even back then saying that he wouldn't do another Nightmare because the wear and tear on his old body was too much but he was all for sharing the screen with FvJ sequels. How old is Englund now? Pushing 70? Hell, even if they just got him in the makeup and use some slasher CGI for him would be enough for me. I'm usually not THAT guy, but Robert Englund IS Freddy Krueger.

I believe the treatment for Freddy vs Jason vs Ash film was turned into a comic book. The project came very close to being greenlit.


I did hear something about that at the time. Was the book based off what the movie concept was going to be as far as screenplay and plot? I'd be interested in picking that up.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2287
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: RIP Wes Craven

Postby verslibre » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:42 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Robert Englund IS Freddy Krueger.


Without a doubt.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5013
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: RIP Wes Craven

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:29 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:I did hear something about that at the time. Was the book based off what the movie concept was going to be as far as screenplay and plot? I'd be interested in picking that up.


Here's info on the outline, YoungJrnyFan.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/2371/ ... nt-review/

http://cdn.bloody-disgusting.com/wp-con ... nvsAsh.pdf

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/10/21/br ... nt-happen/
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 12420
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: RIP Wes Craven

Postby S2M » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:11 pm

IMHO, Clive Barker is better. But, I can even admit that Hellraiser got hokey near the end.
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
User avatar
S2M
MP3
 
Posts: 11823
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:43 am
Location: In a bevy of whimsy

Re: RIP Wes Craven

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:54 pm

S2M wrote:IMHO, Clive Barker is better. But, I can even admit that Hellraiser got hokey near the end.


Barker has directed a scant handful of films. No comparison really.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 12420
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: RIP Wes Craven

Postby verslibre » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:46 am

To me, Clive is a great writer who happened to direct some movies. His best work is in his fiction, like Weave-World, The Damnation Game, and his Books of Blood collections. Clive's problem is that the further along he went, he became far too wordy for his own good. Weave-World is roughly 600-odd pages and that's a great book, but that page count is where he should keep it, max.

Wes is a guy like Romero who made his career on film, so yes, he shouldn't be compared to Clive, and vice versa.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5013
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: RIP Wes Craven

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:31 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:I did hear something about that at the time. Was the book based off what the movie concept was going to be as far as screenplay and plot? I'd be interested in picking that up.


Here's info on the outline, YoungJrnyFan.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/2371/ ... nt-review/

http://cdn.bloody-disgusting.com/wp-con ... nvsAsh.pdf

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/10/21/br ... nt-happen/


AWESOME! Thanks man. I'll check this out. Sucks the project fell through.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2287
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm


Return to Death By Stereo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests