Gentle Storm

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Gentle Storm

Postby Monker » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:14 am

So, who here has heard of a band called "The Gentle Storm" and why isn't "The Diary" a platinum selling album in the US?
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Re: Gentle Storm

Postby S2M » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:45 am

I'm familiar with all Arjen Anthony's projects...he usually records under the 'Ayreon' moniker. This project is, I believe, with Anneke Geirsbergen.

His stuff is awesome. It's too bad this country's musical foot is lodged up its ass.
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:18 am

IMO, Arjen peaked with Universal Migrator Part 1: The Dream Sequencer (and the first Stream of Passion album, but I like that album mainly for Marcela and Lori, not Arjen). I can't listen to anything of his after 2005.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:15 pm

verslibre wrote:IMO, Arjen peaked with Universal Migrator Part 1: The Dream Sequencer (and the first Stream of Passion album, but I like that album mainly for Marcela and Lori, not Arjen). I can't listen to anything of his after 2005.

I'm not sure what you mean by "peaked", in what way...but the orchestration and musicianship is absolutely incredible on this. It's beyond genre, I think. It reminds me of the first time I listened to The Wall. The story elevates the songs, and the songs elevate the story. It's not about being Progressive Rock, or Symphonic Rock, or whatever...it's about the writing and performances bouncing off each other and elevating the final product to a place where few other albums can claim to be.

And, then you add Anneke...I have never heard such a stellar female voice singing "rock" music before. She is absolutely incredible. She takes these already incredible songs and puts them in a place that just can't be duplicated and only appreciated.

From what I have heard of Arjen and Anneke's prior work, The Gentle Storm, is a lot different. It definitely isn't Goth or Metal, or Euro-pop music. It is completely unique. They took the best they both could offer and weaved it into something new and different.

This album should win a Grammy. I know it won't - but it should.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby scarab » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:01 am

they sound great are are highly talented.
and that is not why they do well in the US.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Return to Death By Stereo