Rush’s Neil Peart says he’s retired from music

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Postby Fact Finder » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:28 am

"There comes a time to... take yourself out of the game"

by Alex Young

on December 07, 2015, 12:51pm

Over the the summer, Rush embarked on their “R40 Tour” celebrating the 40th anniversary of drummer Neil Peart’s membership in the band. At the time, bandmate Alex Lifeson said it would likely be the band’s final full-scale tour together due to his psoriatic arthritis and Peart’s chronic tendonitis. While Lifeson left the door open for future projects, including smaller tours and soundtrack work, he said the band’s ultimate fate lays in the hands of music’s greatest drummer.

If that’s the case, it appears Rush is no more. In a new interview with Drumhead Magazine (via Jambase), Peart spoke frankly about his coming to terms with retirement. “… Lately Olivia has been introducing me to new friends at school as ‘My dad– He’s a retired drummer.’ True to say–funny to hear. And it does not pain me to realize that, like all athletes, there comes a time to… take yourself out of the game. I would rather set it aside then face the predicament described in our song ‘Losing It’ (‘Sadder still to watch it die, than never to have known it’).”

Aside from aforementioned health issues, Peart previously mentioned his desire to spend more time with family. Following the tragic deaths of his daughter and first wife in the late ’90s, Peart remarried in 2000. He and his wife had a daughter, Olivia, in 2009.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Re: Rush’s Neil Peart says he’s retired from music

Postby TageRyche » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:43 am

Wow, surprised but not surprised.
TageRyche
LP

Postby verslibre » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:09 am

The end of an era. What a career. One of the greatest bands to ever grace the category of "rock."
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby Fact Finder » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:52 am

TageRyche wrote:Wow, surprised but not surprised.

Yeah, same here, I saw Geddy somewhere saying he thought this was the last real tour. Geddy was up for continuing but he felt Alex and Neil had other ideas.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Fact Finder » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:54 am

verslibre wrote:The end of an era. What a career. One of the greatest bands to ever grace the category of "rock."

That's the truth. Celebrity Net Worth puts Neil at a cool $22 Million, he and the boys have earned every penny.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:42 am

I'm not trying to take anything away from Neil Peart. He's a fantastic drummer. However, Steve smith is music's greatest drummer.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:03 am

Dude's earned the right to sit down and relax and enjoy what they have built. Geddy's voice is sounding odd on the music these days anyway. But I could watch him play bass forever. I've always like Neil's drumming, but it doesn't have the same draw as Geddy's playing for me.

Great music. Great guys. Great career.
Last edited by Memorex on Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Fact Finder » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:14 am

Memorex wrote:Dude's earned the right to sit down and relax and enjoy what they have built. Geddy's voice is sounding on the music these days anyway. But I could watch him play bass forever. I've always like Neil's drumming, but it doesn't have the same draw as Geddy's playing for me.

Great music. Great guys. Great career.

I'm sure most here have seen it but "Beyond the Lighted Stage" is one of the best rockumentarys ever made. What a life these guys have lived. Done it their own way, all the way, as Alex said, "record companies didn't want us but our fans just kept following us."
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby verslibre » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:59 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:I'm not trying to take anything away from Neil Peart. He's a fantastic drummer. However, Steve smith is music's greatest drummer.

That's a bunch of excellent drummers you're tossing off the bridge: Dennis Chambers, Mark Zonder, Lenny White, and Billy Cobham, to name but a few.
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:02 am

Fact Finder wrote:I'm sure most here have seen it but "Beyond the Lighted Stage" is one of the best rockumentarys ever made. What a life these guys have lived. Done it their own way, all the way, as Alex said, "record companies didn't want us but our fans just kept following us."

Yes, it's awesome. It's the kind of rock-doc I wanted to see done on/for them 20 years ago. They're simply one of the greatest bands ever.

I saw the Quiet Riot rock-doc on Showtime this week. Man, what a mess (the band and its goings-on, not the film itself).
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:10 am

verslibre wrote:
Fact Finder wrote:I'm sure most here have seen it but "Beyond the Lighted Stage" is one of the best rockumentarys ever made. What a life these guys have lived. Done it their own way, all the way, as Alex said, "record companies didn't want us but our fans just kept following us."

Yes, it's awesome. It's the kind of rock-doc I wanted to see done on/for them 20 years ago. They're simply one of the greatest bands ever.

I saw the Quiet Riot rock-doc on Showtime this week. Man, what a mess (the band and its goings-on, not the film itself).

I watched the Quiet Riot one recently and it was far more interesting than I thought it would be. I think that story (the current one of the aging rocker trying to keep things going) is playing out many times. These guys have families and weekend road trips and all the ups and downs of dealing with a rock and roll world. Good stuff.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Return to Death By Stereo