R.I.P. Glenn Frey of Eagles

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

R.I.P. Glenn Frey of Eagles

Postby Fact Finder » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:08 am

Glenn Frey, a founding member and guitarist of the Eagles, has died ... TMZ has learned.

Frey had been battling intestinal issues for months and had surgery in November. We're told in the last few days his condition took a turn for the worse.

Glenn co-wrote and sang most of the Eagles hits, including "Take It Easy," "Tequila Sunrise," "Lyin' Eyes," and "Heartache Tonight," to name a few. He also co-wrote "Hotel California" and "Desperado" with Don Henley and took home 6 Grammys with the band.
After the Eagles' 1980 breakup, Glenn launched a successful solo career, recording numerous hits ... most notably "The Heat Is On" and "You Belong to the City."

Glenn also got into acting, snagging a recurring role on "Miami Vice."

He reunited with the Eagles in '94 for their monster Hell Freezes Over tour and recorded music till the end, releasing what would be his fifth and final solo LP, "After Hours," in 2012.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer had been fighting intestinal issues for awhile but his condition relapsed before the holidays, forcing the Eagles to pull out of their Kennedy Center Honors appearance in December. At the time, the band said he needed major surgery that would require a lengthy recovery.

Glenn was 67. RIP.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2016/01/18/glenn-fre ... z3xdVf9SUK
Last edited by Fact Finder on Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Re: Holy Crap! R.I.P. Glenn Frey of Eagles

Postby Fact Finder » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:25 am

GLENN FREY DIES
4m
More: Eagles founder Glenn Frey died of complications from rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia - Eagles
read more on eagles.com
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby RPM » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:39 am

Shocking. had no idea he was that sick. Extremely talented man.
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
8 Track

Postby Memorex » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:42 am

Very sad to hear. One of the few bands I promised myself I would see and never did. And now I never will.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Fact Finder » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:50 am

Memorex wrote:Very sad to hear. One of the few bands I promised myself I would see and never did. And now I never will.

Took the wife to their "Farewell I Tour" a few years back, ranks right near the top for my all time favorite concerts. Great concert video as well, I recommend you grab it if you don't have it.

Man this is sad. :cry:
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby scarab » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:17 am

Very Sad.
One of the few ICONIC band I own everything they did.
Loved his solo stuff as well.

Thanks for all the great music Glenn, RIP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmV9vk2950o

WAY too young.

Never saw Eagles or Glenn. Now I kick myself as much to never seeing DIO.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Fact Finder » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:26 am

Don Henley

34 mins ·

“He was like a brother to me; we were family, and like most families, there was some dysfunction. But, the bond we forged 45 years ago was never broken, even during the 14 years that the Eagles were dissolved. We were two young men who made the pilgrimage to Los Angeles with the same dream: to make our mark in the music industry — and with perseverance, a deep love of music, our alliance with other great musicians and our manager, Irving Azoff, we built something that has lasted longer than anyone could have dreamed. But, Glenn was the one who started it all. He was the spark plug, the man with the plan. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of popular music and a work ethic that wouldn’t quit. He was funny, bullheaded, mercurial, generous, deeply talented and driven. He loved his wife and kids more than anything. We are all in a state of shock, disbelief and profound sorrow. We brought our two-year “History of the Eagles Tour” to a triumphant close at the end of July and now he is gone. I’m not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some.”

-Don Henley
Fact Finder
MP3

Re: R.I.P. Glenn Frey of Eagles

Postby slucero » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:37 pm

man.. all our musical heroes are dying..

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:34 am

Fact Finder wrote:Don Henley

34 mins ·

“He was like a brother to me; we were family, and like most families, there was some dysfunction. But, the bond we forged 45 years ago was never broken, even during the 14 years that the Eagles were dissolved. We were two young men who made the pilgrimage to Los Angeles with the same dream: to make our mark in the music industry — and with perseverance, a deep love of music, our alliance with other great musicians and our manager, Irving Azoff, we built something that has lasted longer than anyone could have dreamed. But, Glenn was the one who started it all. He was the spark plug, the man with the plan. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of popular music and a work ethic that wouldn’t quit. He was funny, bullheaded, mercurial, generous, deeply talented and driven. He loved his wife and kids more than anything. We are all in a state of shock, disbelief and profound sorrow. We brought our two-year “History of the Eagles Tour” to a triumphant close at the end of July and now he is gone. I’m not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some.”

-Don Henley

You know FF, I read that yesterday and it really surprised me. I always read they hated each other and only got together to rehearse and perform. It made me happy to read this.
K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP

Postby SusieP » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:23 am

I was too young to see them first time around but when their Hell Freezes Over Tour came to the UK, I was there like a flash.

I was horrified to see audience members walking about, going to get drinks etc while the Band were on stage.
Why weren't they sitting there transfixed in awe and the majesty of this sublime Band???

I'm glad I got to see them perform.

Sorry Mr Frey has checked out so young.

http://www.smoothduo.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/SuzeFromSmoothDuo/
Twitter - @smoothduo

Rest In Peace Deano.
SusieP
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:22 am

Glenn Frey’s Medication Contributed to His Death, Manager Says (Exclusive)

By Tim Kenneally and Sharon Waxman on January 18, 2016

http://www.thewrap.com/glenn-freys-medi ... ager-says/

Irving Azoff says Eagles founding member had rheumatoid arthritis for more than 15 years

The death of Eagles cofounder Glenn Frey on Monday at age 67 can be blamed in part on the medications he was taking, Eagles manager Irving Azoff told TheWrap.

Frey died from rheumatoid arthritis, colitis and pneumonia, according to the band’s website. Azoff said the latter two were caused by medications that he was taking for the inflammatory disorder.

“The colitis and pneumonia were side effects from all the meds,” he told TheWrap. “He died from complications of ulcer and colitis after being treated with drugs for his rheumatoid arthritis which he had for over 15 years.”

Azoff declined to specify the drug in question, saying that he had been counseled by an attorney not to do so.

The manager also detailed the day-to-day physical difficulties that the musician endured.

“One day his knees would hurt, his hands hurt,” Azoff said, adding that the illness “moves from joint to joint.”

“Glenn fought a courageous battle for the past several weeks but, sadly, succumbed to complications from Rheumatoid Arthritis, Acute Ulcerative Colitis and Pneumonia,” the group said in an update on the Eagles’ official website on Monday.

Azoff said that a big memorial and party are in the works to honor the musician in Los Angeles.

Azoff said he was deeply in shock from the loss of his friend. “I wouldn’t have been the success that I’ve been without Glenn Frey teaching me, leading me and supporting me for over 40 years … He was a passionate family man, a great father, a great humanitarian, and he’s gone way too soon.”

Frey’s bandmate Don Henley said of Frey, who co-wrote classic songs including “Hotel California” and “Take It Easy,” “He was like a brother to me; we were family, and like most families, there was some dysfunction. But, the bond we forged 45 years ago was never broken, even during the 14 years that the Eagles were dissolved.”
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:36 am

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/

Hi Bob-

Thought I'd check in -

First, Thanks to everyone who has posted on your Glenn thread. Very comforting in a very awkward and sad time.

I haven't done any media- period. It's not that I can't find the words, it's that there are no words. I've tried and all I have is a blank page. That's how I feel. That's how we all feel, Maybe later, I'll have something, but not right now.

So, Thank You for your kind and intelligent overview, and Thanks to everybody who also checked in.

I keep coming back to one of Glenn's favorite ways to sum things up:

"Ladies and Gentlemen........
Elvis has left the building"

Joe Walsh
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Fact Finder » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:55 am

Fact Finder
MP3

Return to Death By Stereo