Henry Lee Summer (Not a RIP)

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Henry Lee Summer (Not a RIP)

Postby Memorex » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:33 pm

Any title with an artist's name who's over 60 and people might auto-think RIP. :)

I went and saw Henry Lee the other night. Was a rough week and felt odd about going, but decided I kinda needed it. I knew it was not going to be the show I really wanted, and I was ok with that. I was just hoping for a few moments of what I like most about him.

Andrew had posted a story on here a few years back about his run in with the law. He had a pretty bad meth addiction and it’s taken much of his brain with it. But he is clean and sober, looked happy, and played guitar better than I ever heard on his songs. I was really happy that he’s doing his thing and seems to have a lot of things together.

I can’t really point to why, but Henry Lee’s music is just something I completely identify with. It’s one of those soul-gripping things to me. And a few times during the night it really just spoke to me. Even though it was a three-piece band, a backup singer, and in the corner of a loud restaurant.

He did a cover of Bob Seger’s Night Moves that was amazing.

I spoke to him after and told him how important his music was to me. He was the single most humble and appreciative artist I’ve ever met. It's the first time I ever felt like it wasn't a rehearsed canned response.

Anyway, just updating the info on ol’ Henry.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Re: Henry Lee Summer (Not a RIP)

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:57 am

As soon as I opened the Death By Stereo forum I saw the name Johnny Gioeli, and I immediately thought "Oh man, don't tell me he died." Happily, I then saw that it's that he has a new album coming out.

I then scan down the page with my eyes, and I see your thread about HLS, and I see RIP in the title of the thread., and assumed he died, until I took a closer look.

There have been so many Rock star deaths these days, that whenever I see someones name listed in the DBS forum, my first thought is that they must have died.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:12 pm

Like Paul Kantner at 74.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby JohnH » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:31 pm

Yes posting just the guy's name is now code for RIP. Thanks for putting the extra info.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby Deb » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:26 pm

Glad to hear he is still out there performing. I totally get the identifying with.......I loved his voice! Right from the first time I heard 'Wish I had a girl'. Hands on the radio and Darlin Danielle don't are two other favorites. http://youtu.be/te3Ug5jKXAg

That's one thing I love about this site. I would have never heard or gotten into more deeper cuts of HLS' or Andy Taylor's music if it it wasn't for other members here sharing music/knowledge. Love both their stuff, but there is just something about HLS soulfulness that grabs me. :D
Image Now Playing: If That's What It Takes (Live) ~ http://youtu.be/8g2TrEdi5ZQ
Deb
MP3

Postby Andrew » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:34 am

Love Henry and his tunes. Wonderful soulful rock n roll.
Andrew
Administrator

Return to Death By Stereo