Well folks...

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Well folks...

Postby Andrew » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:36 am

I haven't had time to be here much or read anything, but no one seems to have missed me. haha.

The forums overall - are they still being used enough? Doesn't anyone care? Facebook seems to have ruined most message board communities online, in fact Facebook have fucked up most of the internet's browsing habits.

Anyway....keep or can?
Andrew
Administrator

Re: Well folks...

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:00 pm

Dude....you can't be serious. :shock: Even if it is just for the priceless Obama hate-a-thon thread, I vote keep. This is one of the few forums I routinely utilize. The rest of the internet has seemingly switched to using Disqus for their commenting system, which is riddled with bugs and blows. What would MR be without the forums? An empty husk without a soul. I would be in favor of eliminating some of the more dormant forums (Glam? LA Rocks? Kenny Loggins? Outta here). But this one is a keeper and so is the Journey board.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby scarab » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:04 pm

I am old dog that doesnt do "new tricks" well.
This board has become my #1 source on the bands I love, Journey (and Steve Perry), Foreigner and Lou Gramm, Survivor, Halen, Night Ranger, and yes even Styx :lol: .

Thanks Andrew for keeping Melodic Rock alive!
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby TageRyche » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:38 pm

Keep them.
TageRyche
LP

Postby AR » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:44 am

Keep it around. You are right about message forums being blown up by social media though.

Now off to see Jeff Scott Soto tonight.
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby tater1977 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:15 pm

TageRyche wrote:Keep them.

+ 1
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby DrFU » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:56 pm

It will blow up again when Perry's album comes out.
DrFU
Stereo LP

Postby ebake02 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:39 pm

KEEP!!!!!
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:24 am

Maybe combine this Death by Stereo general forum with The Noticeboard? That way, MR.com has one big central forum. All of the sub-forums (Styx, Van Halen etc) could be deleted.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby steveo777 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:26 am

Keep it. Tours are just around the corner. We have new SP (supposedly) coming, as well as Santana IV.
steveo777
MP3

Postby yulog » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:37 pm

Tough call, its been dead for a long time..........Can
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby Fact Finder » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:41 am

You've got to keep at least one forum open Andrew, I'm in favor of just one big catch all forum. Threads will sink or swim on their own. Frankly the only sub forums I look at are Journey, Styx and Rush and now Rush is done. I wouldn't mind seeing different band threads here all on one board. I can skip over a thread I don't have interest in.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Majestic » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:42 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Maybe combine this Death by Stereo general forum with The Noticeboard? That way, MR.com has one big central forum. All of the sub-forums (Styx, Van Halen etc) could be deleted.

This seems like a pretty good suggestion, considering the usage and volume these days.

I wouldn't like it if MR had no forum and think that would be really unfortunate. Perhaps its true that social media and all of that is taking over, but why not just bring that in if it helps? Forums may be old school, I don't know. Personally, I do not use much social media and I don't even have Facebook or want to. I am a bit old school, then. The music I listen to is also old school now, and Melodic Rock is an old school music. Is it bad to have an old school forum for old schoolers and their music? I hope not.
Majestic
8 Track

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:32 pm

I'd really hate to see the Survivor and Journey forums go away.

The hell with Facebook.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:32 am

I've never really understood why there is both the Noticeboard and the forums. I agree that these should be combined together. I would say adding the noticeboard to the forums is probably the way to go.

I would say you should get rid of the clutter and if a forum hasn't had a new post in six months or so then it should be deleted. You have the "off topic" area, maybe there should be a generic music forum where topics can be started for the various bands that do not have their own major forum.

Also, there is nothing stopping you from creating Facebook forums and directing the conversation there. Well, except you may be jumping back into the hole of what the Journey forum used to be and wanting to get moderators if they get too crazy.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:37 am

Though this place has been a ghost town and a fetus of its former self, MR is still one of my go-to sites I frequent every day with my lists of bookmarks. You can't can it even if it's for nostalgia reasons or for the members who still post here.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby slucero » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:40 pm

Merge it with the noticeboard... there's more talk of melodic rock there than here..

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby RPM » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:24 am

Dont do Facebook. I think the Death Stereo & Journey Boards have earned their keep, Good Folks here
even Monker...:)
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
8 Track

Postby Andrew » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:09 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Maybe combine this Death by Stereo general forum with The Noticeboard? That way, MR.com has one big central forum. All of the sub-forums (Styx, Van Halen etc) could be deleted.

No, Noticeboard still going strong.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Andrew » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:10 pm

I'm NOT merging this forum with the vibrant and active Noticeboard, no way.

But I will keep these running, no problem. Will tidy up/edit a bit.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby FamilyMan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:55 pm

Not much can be done, I'm afraid, about the real problem this quiet board is a byproduct of. No real news. It's a shame there aren't more bands of the melodic rock era doing more interesting things. At least Steven Tyler - God love him - experimented with a country tune this winter. But overall…no risks… no real reunions… just a lot of so-called farewell shows that turn out to be gimmicks. Even Eddie Trunk's show got shelved. It's a sad state of affairs.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby Everett » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:10 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Maybe combine this Death by Stereo general forum with The Noticeboard? That way, MR.com has one big central forum. All of the sub-forums (journey, Van Halen etc) could be deleted.

There you go bud. Fixed it for you :wink:
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:44 pm

Everett wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Maybe combine this Death by Stereo general forum with The Noticeboard? That way, MR.com has one big central forum. All of the sub-forums (journey, Van Halen etc) could be deleted.

Dude, Cyclorama came out in 2003. The band has given up. Over the years, Journey has been the most active band forum on MR.com.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Monker » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:23 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Everett wrote:

Dude, Cyclorama came out in 2003. The band has given up. Over the years, Journey has been the most active band forum on MR.com.

Styx is the third most active music forum here....behind Journey and Perry. So, if Styx is deleted, he may as well delete them all. I don't see the point in making this only a place for Journey fans.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Monker » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:30 pm

Oh, and one more thing, until the news of a Perry album, Styx and Journey were about the same as far as activity on the forums.

And, talk about giving up....all Journey wants to record is rerecording Augeri era songs...that's the only serious talk of new recording I have read the past few years. If that is all it takes to not give up then Styx has them beat several times with their rerecorded hits and the "Pieces of Eight/Grand Illusion" DVD.

I one of them deserves a forum, they both do. Axe all the forums that have not had a post in six months. Those are the forums that do not earn their place here.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Majestic » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:45 am

Monker wrote:Oh, and one more thing, until the news of a Perry album, Styx and Journey were about the same as far as activity on the forums.

And, talk about giving up....all Journey wants to record is rerecording Augeri era songs...that's the only serious talk of new recording I have read the past few years. If that is all it takes to not give up then Styx has them beat several times with their rerecorded hits and the "Pieces of Eight/Grand Illusion" DVD.

I one of them deserves a forum, they both do. Axe all the forums that have not had a post in six months. Those are the forums that do not earn their place here.

Not a bad idea, but if he did that, why not just merge the remaining two or three forums and call it the music forum as opposed to this one (the non-music forum?) That way fans of canceled forums or of whatever bands or music related to the genre, have a place to share and contribute if they want to and that in no way would interfere with talk of Journey or Perry.
Majestic
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:13 am

Monker wrote:And, talk about giving up....all Journey wants to record is rerecording Augeri era songs...that's the only serious talk of new recording I have read the past few years. If that is all it takes to not give up then Styx has them beat several times with their rerecorded hits and the "Pieces of Eight/Grand Illusion" DVD.

Bullshit. Since replacing Perry, Journey has done 4 albums and an EP of original material. Since replacing DeYoung, Styx has put out one album of original material. ONE. No comparison.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Monker » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:34 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote:And, talk about giving up....all Journey wants to record is rerecording Augeri era songs...that's the only serious talk of new recording I have read the past few years. If that is all it takes to not give up then Styx has them beat several times with their rerecorded hits and the "Pieces of Eight/Grand Illusion" DVD.

Bullshit. Since replacing Perry, Journey has done 4 albums and an EP of original material. Since replacing DeYoung, Styx has put out one album of original material. ONE. No comparison.

And, NOWADAYS, Journey wants to rerecord Arrival. Neal wants his thing, and Jonathan isn't interested unless they return to pop music. Journey is stuck in the mud.

Also, Styx is talking about releasing a new album this year. Of course, that is about as likely as Steve Perry releasing an album this year...but it's more than what Journey is doing.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby No Surprize » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:19 pm

Fuck it, I really don't give a shit one way or the other. Other than the ongoing political thread, Versible & Youngjourney sucking dick over batman & superman, this place is dead.
"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:00 am

..other than the ongoing political thread, Versible & Youngjourney sucking dick over batman & superman, this place is dead.

YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Next

Return to Death By Stereo