DC Extended Universe THREAD

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby Monker » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:58 am

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:29 am
Call me sexist, but I can't seem to get excited to see WW. Is Batman in it somewhere?

NO other Superfriend is in the movie. It takes place during WW1 so Bruce Wayne wasn't alive, and Superman was on Krypton...or maybe not born yet, I don't know. I spose Aquaman could have had an appearence, but he doesn't. The Wonder Twins do not show up. Not even Gleeck.

This is a movie completely about Diana. It is about her discovering who she is and her place in the world. It is also about her discovering what humanity is and its relationship to her gods and her place in that triangle.

It genuinely is most comparable to CA:TFA...because his journey is simular...except the "god" is Hydra. IE: finding his place in the military after becoming a super soldier. Wondering why the generals won't do what is obviously the "right" thing...and taking it on himself. They both even recruit their own squad.

Wonder Woman differs in that she has a predefined set of beliefs about her gods and humanity set by things she has read and been taught. She has to come to an understanding that is from her own experiences...she has to evolve, change, her beliefs to understand this new world around her and how the movie ends.

That is why I say WW is slightly better than CA:TFA. CA has a stringent set of moral beliefs. But, they never evolve...even through CA:CW, he refuses to change. He views the world a certain way and it never changes. That creates its own drama in a different way, "Sometimes I want to punch that perfect face..." But, IMO, it is always better when a character is forced to change than when a character can fight against it and not have to.

There is a bit of "feminist stuff" in there, which I thought was slightly annoying. It's not a constant thing and if you want to/try to, you can ignore it.
Monker
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:58 am

Monker wrote: Saying, "WW is the worst CBM ever made." Is not hyperbole.

Stating "xx-xx is the worst thing ever made" is typically an exaggeration, claim or overstatements stemming from opinions and expression. That's hyperbole.

Dude. YOU put up a pic of a quote of somebody who said it was "perfect".

As usual, you're missing the context of the conversation. You said how you weren't surprised that things are exaggerated "in here" about how certain posters are claiming it's the best superhero movie they've seen. All I said was that reaction isn't exaggerated because social media is buzzing and using those exact words (as seen with the example I've provided.) People may be exaggerating those claims to get their point across how much they like the film, but the idea of people saying those things aren't exaggerated. It's being said and not just in here.

As you say, "Opnion".

NOW you're getting it Image.

And, I am tired of CBM's over all.

Oh, please, when GL was released, it's first weekend could also be described as "a massive hit".

Yeaaaa, NO. Here was the Box Office Report for Green Lantern:

Box office report: 'Green Lantern' wins the weekend with a dim $52.7 million.
It wasn’t quite the brightest day or the blackest night for Green Lantern, which took in an estimated $52.7 million in its opening weekend. That’s good enough for a first-place finish, but it’s still a disappointing showing — the franchise-baiting film has a $200 million budget, and came equipped with an expensive marketing campaign.

Words like "dim" and "disappointment" are not described as "massive." Sorry.

When you come down to Earth you will realize that EVERY DC movie was more of a hit than WW.

Since we're on the subject of comparisons to Green Lantern (lol) Wonder Woman's OPENING WEEKEND (dom; int) surpassed Green Lantern's entire GLOBAL RUN. Nice try.

You listen too much to critics and you are way too caught up in bandwagon to be taken seriously.

You're right. That must be the reason why I dislike more than half of Marvel films that are rated high by critics and absolutely love two DCEU films that are certified rotten on Rotten Tomatoes. After all this time, you don't know what you're talking about if you call me a bandwagoner, lmao.

Find the quote where I did.

Don't care. Sorry, M-man! :lol:

So, why even take them seriously? I don't....espeiclaly political pundits.

That's the point. v and I said a hero like Wonder Woman is ready to have her time to shine and is a pop culture icon, regardless. The critics said it couldn't be done. We never did. We always believed. Now? It's a reality and the CBM genre will be better for it.

You , V, and the people you guys quote on the forum.

So, since reality doesn't agree with you, you are canceling it and substituing your own Typical.

The only "reality" in liking films is your own reality. Movies are forms of art and all art is subjective. There's no way to categorize any of it and it basically comes down to the individual. In other words, the entire population can despise Batman v Superman but that still translates to no fucks givin' because reality is, I like the movie and that's all that matters. It's all individual subjectivity. I don't need other people to like things for me to like things or vice versa.

I didn't.
I never said that.
I never said that, either.
I never said anything that related the two movies..
I never directly related the two movies.

Bro, I was generalizing this entire thread. Who said what or what you said doesn't matter in the point I was making.

But, if WW failed, I would say that the entire DCEU would be in trouble.

Common sense and v and I have said the same over and over.

Well, first of all, WW hasn't done 'gangbusters'...that is silly exaggeration.

Holy fucking beating a dead horse, Batman!

DC needed WW to turn things around to be taken seriously again. If that didn't happen the DCEU would be in the shits with JL coming up.

Common knowledge and something that was discussed as such.

..and enormous pressure on JL to over perform....a thing DC movies DO NOT DO.

With Wonder Woman doing as well as it's doing, the pressure is loosened off of Justice League. JL needs to perform and perform well (again, all obvious statements that doesn't need to be said outloud) but Wonder Woman provides a certain level of health for the DCEU that it didn't have before (to which they still cranked out the films slated anyhow, which means DC/WB is serious about the DCEU and are willing to adjust accordingly if need be. All great signs.)

I really don't care about Aquaman. Seriously.

And people didn't care about a talking Racoon, either.

IMO, if you went to some middle class neighborhood and knocked on doors and asked who Harley Quinn was, most have no clue. It is NOT a household name.

Considering the LARGE amounts of trick or treaters going from house to house, door to door last October then yes, I DO consider Harley Quinn a household name. I love Harley (boinginging) but even I was sick of seeing her costume ( which depended on the costume wearer) :lol:

You just don't know until it happens.

In order for things to "happen" things need to get made. WB is making it a point with their DC characters to do just that.

Maybe Marvel will just tire of all of this and kill off her character.

Cowards. :lol:

So, you are admitting that Marvel did a better job at a hero vs. hero movie than DC did? Because that is exactly what happened.

Again..bad with context while also putting unnecessary words in my mouth. You said "Marvel is doing what Marvel does regardless of what DC does" which isn't the case because The Russo Brothers AND Kevin Feige himself said they scrapped the solo Captain America 3 film for Civil War in response to Batman v Superman. Their words, not mine, which means Marvel does in fact pay attention to what DC does. You should know better by now that you've moved the goalposts way too much in the past to fool us into conversing in a conversation about who did things better when that was never the intention, so it won't be needed.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:26 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
Monker wrote: Saying, "WW is the worst CBM ever made." Is not hyperbole.

Stating "xx-xx is the worst thing ever made" is typically an exaggeration, claim or overstatements stemming from opinions and expression. That's hyperbole.

Hyperbole is not just exaggeration. It is exaggeration beyond belief. Gal Gadot met Neal DeGrasse Type. She is now so fat that he thought he discovered a ninth planet to make up for his downgrading of Pluto. When James Gunn heard this he immediately got the idea to use Ego "The Living Planet" as Peter Quill's father. So, I guess that mean that Wonder Woman is Star-Lord's real mother.

THAT is hyperbole.

Dude. YOU put up a pic of a quote of somebody who said it was "perfect".

As usual, you're missing the context of the conversation. You said how you weren't surprised that things are exaggerated "in here" about how certain posters are claiming it's the best superhero movie they've seen. All I said was that reaction isn't exaggerated because social media is buzzing and using those exact words (as seen with the example I've provided.) People may be exaggerating those claims to get their point across how much they like the film, but the idea of people saying those things aren't exaggerated. It's being said and not just in here.[/quote]

So what? I replied DIRECTLY TO YOUR QUOTE and said it was exaggerated bullshit, blah, blah, blah and it isn't PERFECT. YOU assumed I was speaking about something said here. My post is very clear. You may be pointing to outside comments...but, they are still bullshit exaggerations.

And, I am tired of CBM's over all.

>pic deleted for space<

I think many people are getting tired of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD1e0BNNifk

When you come down to Earth you will realize that EVERY DC movie was more of a hit than WW.

Since we're on the subject of comparisons to Green Lantern (lol) Wonder Woman's OPENING WEEKEND (dom; int) surpassed Green Lantern's entire GLOBAL RUN. Nice try.

Ok, maybe so.

You listen too much to critics and you are way too caught up in bandwagon to be taken seriously.

You're right. That must be the reason why I dislike more than half of Marvel films that are rated high by critics and absolutely love two DCEU films that are certified rotten on Rotten Tomatoes. After all this time, you don't know what you're talking about if you call me a bandwagoner, lmao.

In this case, jumping on a bandwagon of DC fans who are over-hyping WW is exactly what you are doing.

\
So, why even take them seriously? I don't....espeiclaly political pundits.

That's the point. v and I said a hero like Wonder Woman is ready to have her time to shine and is a pop culture icon, regardless. The critics said it couldn't be done. We never did. We always believed. Now? It's a reality and the CBM genre will be better for it.

Have I ever disagreed with that?

However, saying WW is the best CBM ever and "blah, blah, blah" is overkill and does not really help anything.

You , V, and the people you guys quote on the forum.

So, since reality doesn't agree with you, you are canceling it and substituing your own Typical.

The only "reality" in liking films is your own reality. Movies are forms of art and all art is subjective. There's no way to categorize any of it and it basically comes down to the individual. In other words, the entire population can despise Batman v Superman but that still translates to no fucks givin' because reality is, I like the movie and that's all that matters. It's all individual subjectivity. I don't need other people to like things for me to like things or vice versa.[/quote]

Maybe so but when you are pointing to something as the best ever you are doing to other exactly what you do not like being done to you. It's not hyperbole. It's exaggerating trying to sway other people to feel more like you.

I didn't.
I never said that.
I never said that, either.
I never said anything that related the two movies..
I never directly related the two movies.

Bro, I was generalizing this entire thread. Who said what or what you said doesn't matter in the point I was making.

And, my point is that when you generalize and group me in with that generalization, well, you miscategorized me and my opinion.

k
Well, first of all, WW hasn't done 'gangbusters'...that is silly exaggeration.

Holy fucking beating a dead horse, Batman!

LOL...what do you expect by now? Me not to be me? It's only had one weekend. It's performed well, but keep things realistic. Just for comparison only, GothG2 took down a couple big films. I think it could be said to have performed like gangbusters by its second or third week. Let's see how WW does against the Mummy and whatever else is coming up. If it busts some gangs, then go ahead and label it.

With Wonder Woman doing as well as it's doing, the pressure is loosened off of Justice League. JL needs to perform and perform well (again, all obvious statements that doesn't need to be said outloud) but Wonder Woman provides a certain level of health for the DCEU that it didn't have before (to which they still cranked out the films slated anyhow, which means DC/WB is serious about the DCEU and are willing to adjust accordingly if need be. All great signs.)

There, I would agree with that. WW isn't DC's Jesus. It's more like DC's John the Babtist...you know, pointing the way to where it needs to go to really be saved.

I really don't care about Aquaman. Seriously.

And people didn't care about a talking Racoon, either.

That's not what I'm getting at. I'm getting tired of these movies in general and they just don't excite me much.

IMO, if you went to some middle class neighborhood and knocked on doors and asked who Harley Quinn was, most have no clue. It is NOT a household name.

Considering the LARGE amounts of trick or treaters going from house to house, door to door last October then yes, I DO consider Harley Quinn a household name. I love Harley (boinginging) but even I was sick of seeing her costume ( which depended on the costume wearer) :lol:

So, you DO believe that the 12yr old vote is what matters...despite what you say about GotG being a kids movie. That is who DC is REALLY aiming at.

You just don't know until it happens.

Maybe Marvel will just tire of all of this and kill off her character.

Cowards. :lol:

I don't think so...I would like to see it happen. Maybe bring in Daisey from Agents of SHIELD to replace her.

So, you are admitting that Marvel did a better job at a hero vs. hero movie than DC did? Because that is exactly what happened.

Again..bad with context while also putting unnecessary words in my mouth. You said "Marvel is doing what Marvel does regardless of what DC does" which isn't the case because The Russo Brothers AND Kevin Feige himself said they scrapped the solo Captain America 3 film for Civil War in response to Batman v Superman. Their words, not mine, which means Marvel does in fact pay attention to what DC does. You should know better by now that you've moved the goalposts way too much in the past to fool us into conversing in a conversation about who did things better when that was never the intention, so it won't be needed.
[/quote]

It's also an old argument that I don't want to get into again. What I remember is Feige saying BvS caused him to remember Civil War so he talked to the Russo's about it. They said something like, "If we do this, we'll need Robert Downey Jr." because it upped the budget so much. But, what I never believed is Feige made a decision to mimic DC note for note...more that DC sparked an idea. But, whatever.
Monker
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:17 pm

Wonder Woman's Monday did amazing numbers! Only expected to drop -50% for the second weekend and top Cruise's 'The Mummy. ' A great start to the weekday. Word of mouth is strong with WW. We'll see what the weekend brings.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:32 pm

Took the wife to see last nigh. Got there 45 early, our show at 6:15 sold out, the 6:45 sold out, 7:15 sold out, had to go to 3D at 7:45, and it had only 20 seats left.
Even better the second time around. Wife loved it.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby S2M » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:36 pm

Seems NONE of you know what HYPERBOLE is...

THIS is an example of Hyperbole:

Dude 1: Oh, you're back. How was Walmart?

Dude 2: Busy as a motherfuck. EVERYONE IN THE CITY WAS THERE.
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:26 pm

Monker wrote:
Call me sexist, but I can't seem to get excited to see WW. Is Batman in it somewhere?

NO other Superfriend is in the movie. It takes place during WW1 so Bruce Wayne wasn't alive, and Superman was on Krypton...or maybe not born yet, I don't know. I spose Aquaman could have had an appearence, but he doesn't. The Wonder Twins do not show up. Not even Gleeck.

This is a movie completely about Diana. It is about her discovering who she is and her place in the world. It is also about her discovering what humanity is and its relationship to her gods and her place in that triangle.

It genuinely is most comparable to CA:TFA...because his journey is simular...except the "god" is Hydra. IE: finding his place in the military after becoming a super soldier. Wondering why the generals won't do what is obviously the "right" thing...and taking it on himself. They both even recruit their own squad.

Wonder Woman differs in that she has a predefined set of beliefs about her gods and humanity set by things she has read and been taught. She has to come to an understanding that is from her own experiences...she has to evolve, change, her beliefs to understand this new world around her and how the movie ends.

That is why I say WW is slightly better than CA:TFA. CA has a stringent set of moral beliefs. But, they never evolve...even through CA:CW, he refuses to change. He views the world a certain way and it never changes. That creates its own drama in a different way, "Sometimes I want to punch that perfect face..." But, IMO, it is always better when a character is forced to change than when a character can fight against it and not have to.

There is a bit of "feminist stuff" in there, which I thought was slightly annoying. It's not a constant thing and if you want to/try to, you can ignore it.

Thanks for the review. It's gotta be better than Suicide Squad.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:54 pm

WW is really good, TNC. If there are nitpicks, they are few. I enjoyed SSQUAD for what it was for the most part. The film was saved by character elements that clicked and seeing Ayer nail fan favorites for the first time on screen. Enchantress's third act whatever-the-hell-that-was was cat piss so good thing Viola Davis's Amanda Waller made up for it. Squad suffered from studio meddling and a lack of comfortability in what it wanted to be but as a fan, I got just enough out of it to enjoy the characters and their interaction. I expect good things from Squad2. If not then shame on them.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:10 am

S2M wrote:Seems MONKER doesn't know what HYPERBOLE is...

Fixed.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:12 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Wonder Woman's Monday did amazing numbers! Only expected to drop -50% for the second weekend and top Cruise's 'The Mummy. ' A great start to the weekday. Word of mouth is strong with WW. We'll see what the weekend brings.

Already got 40 big ones in China, too.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:33 am

Warner Bros./DC’s Wonder Woman continues to show muscle in her fifth day of release, earning $14.4M, which is the second best Tuesday in June for a live-action feature after Jurassic World ($24.3M).

http://deadline.com/2017/06/wonder-woman-tuesday-box-office-second-june-record-1202108817/
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:36 am

verslibre wrote:
S2M wrote:Seems MONKER doesn't know what HYPERBOLE is...

Fixed.

Exaggerating beyond believability. "Best/worst CBM ever." is believable. "The entire city was there" isn't.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:49 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote:

Thanks for the review. It's gotta be better than Suicide Squad.

It is the exact opposite of SS in every way imaginable....good writing, good casting, good directing, good fighting, good villain,...and it made sense without having to read the comics.
Monker
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:40 am

It is the exact opposite of SS in every way imaginable....good writing, good casting, good directing, good fighting, good villain,...and it made sense without having to read the comics.

Suicide Squad had good characters muddled in a story and script that fell off the seams pretty fast. The team dynamic was just enough to push the film in a category where it leaves the audience wanting to see more from the characters that the film pushed and pursued. SSQUAD is the weakest DCEU film of the bunch as far as effort is concerned but it still made characters like Harley and Deadshot safe for future installments. People loved them and it even setup up some juicy potential showdowns like Smith's Deadshot and Affleck's Batman. Ayer admitted his fault by dropping the ball on not making Joker the main central villain. No matter, though. It was strong at the BO and we are getting a Harley led Gotham City Sirens film and SSQUAD2 will film next year sometime. Gibson may not bite, but at least the studio knows the faults.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby S2M » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:59 am

BvS was pretty forgettable from the factory scene backward...I admit to being no expert on Bat canon, or Supes canon, but the story just dragged.

IMHO, and I know Anime, and Manga are a bit different than strict comic books - Ghost in the Shell puts BvS to shame. Haven't seen WW yet. Can't comment on it. And sorry, JL looks lame-o. Still waiting for a Legion of Doom sighting.

Maybe they can coax Deidre Hall, and Judy Strangis out of retirement, and film a senior version of Electra Woman & Dyna Girl.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

It's getting ridiculous with all these CBMs...especially the origin stories.
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby verslibre » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:13 am

S2M wrote:Ghost in the Shell puts BvS to shame.

Yeah? I heard it wasn't all that. You didn't do your job, S2M. You didn't get the word out. It BOMBED. It cost 110 million to make and it grossed 40M domestic. (The LEGO Batman Movie grossed twice as much worldwide as GITS.)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=ghostintheshell2017.htm

This article explains why GITS stood to lose 60 million right out of the gate.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/ghost-in-the-shell-scarlett-johansson-box-office-flop-whitewash-1202061479/

GITS didn't review very well, either.

Median score on IMDb: 6.7/10. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219827/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt

Tomatometer: 45%. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghost_in_the_shell_2017

Average Rating: 5.6/10
Reviews Counted: 221
Fresh: 99
Rotten: 122

Since everyone loves to quote RT so much. :wink:

BvS still made a lot of money. GITS didn't make shit. I guess nobody was interested. I know I wasn't. I knew it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as the anime that spawned it.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:04 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:45 pm

Big second for Wonder Woman ahead. The wife and I will be adding to it. My third; her second. I'm expecting around $50-55 mil for WW which is a GREAT hold but if it can snag $60 mil that would be amazing. $300+ domestic; $700 mil is on the table. 'Sic 'em, Gal! 'Sic em...

It unfortunately looks like the domestic fate of Universal’s The Mummy, the first title in the studio’s monster Dark Universe, is sealed: Warner Bros./DC’s Wonder Woman is expected to give the Tom Cruise movie a lesson in manhood at the box office in a respective runoff that’s $60M to $35M-$42M.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:39 am

Saw the 3D of it. Amazing!!! Now seen on normal scrern, 3D and Imax. I'm thinking the 3D was the best 3D movie I have seen....which may not say much, since I am not a 3D fan. Had to see it that way, a lot of people at my work saw it that way and said it was kind blowing. It was things stook out crisp and clear with out being distracting. The no man's land battle was a sight to behold.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:25 am

Was the 3D on IMAX or a standard screen?
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Abitaman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:54 am

verslibre wrote:Was the 3D on IMAX or a standard screen?

The 3D was on a standard screen.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:58 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:28 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:47 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby RedWingFan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:39 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:People started rolling in late and before you knew it, I'd say my theater was 80% full on a 3:30pm Sunday showing, which is rare so word of mouth kicked into overdrive from Friday to Sunday for sure.

Wait. So now "word of mouth" matters when it's positive? But negative word of mouth didn't help cause MOS and BvS massive nosedive?

What did the biased anti-DC critics at Rotten Tomatoes have to say about this movie? I'm sure it's hovering around 35% like BvS, right?
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:33 am

Hope you like Wonder Woman on your Kindle Fire. :D
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:10 am

RedWingFan wrote:What did the biased anti-DC critics at Rotten Tomatoes have to say about this movie? I'm sure it's hovering around 35% like BvS, right?

:lol: See for yourself, wise guy.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wonder_woman_2017/
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:23 am

DC Films president teases the best Superman movie moments are coming
http://batman-news.com/2017/06/09/dc-fi ... re-coming/

FUCK YESSSS.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:57 am

:( RIP Adam West.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/adam-west-dead-batman-star-832264

Adam West, the ardent actor who managed to keep his tongue in cheek while wearing the iconic cowl of the Caped Crusader on the classic 1960s series Batman, has died. He was 88.

West, who was at the pinnacle of pop culture after Batman debuted in January 1966, only to see his career fall victim to typecasting after the ABC show flamed out, died Friday night in Los Angeles after a short battle with leukemia, a family spokesperson said.

West died peacefully surrounded by his family and is survived by his wife Marcelle, six children, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

“Our dad always saw himself as The Bright Knight and aspired to make a positive impact on his fans' lives. He was and always will be our hero,” his family said in a statement.

After struggling for years without a steady job, the good-natured actor reached a new level of fame when he accepted an offer to voice the mayor of Quahog — named Adam West; how’s that for a coincidence! — on Seth MacFarlane’s long-running Fox animated hit Family Guy.

On the big screen, West played a wealthy Main Line husband who meets an early end in Paul Newman’s The Young Philadelphians (1959), was one of the first two humans on the Red Planet in Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964) and contributed his velvety voice to the animated Redux Riding Hood (1997), which received an Oscar nomination for best short film.

Raised on a ranch outside Walla Walla, Wash., West caught the attention of Batman producer William Dozier when he played Captain Quik, a James Bond-type character with a sailor’s cap, in commercials for Nestle’s Quik.

West, who had appeared in many Warner Bros. television series as a studio contract player, was filming the spaghetti Western The Relentless Four (1965) in Europe at the time. He returned to the States to meet with Dozier, “read the pilot script and knew after 20 pages that it was the kind of comedy I wanted to do,” he said in a 2006 interview with the Archive of American Television.

He signed a contract on the spot, only asking that he be given the chance to approve who would play his sidekick, Robin the Boy Wonder. (He would OK the casting of Burt Ward, who had a brown belt in karate but zero acting experience).

“The tone of our first show, by Lorenzo Semple Jr., was one of absurdity and tongue in cheek to the point that I found it irresistible,” West said. “I think they recognized that in me from what they’d seen me do before. I understood the material and brought something to it.

“You can’t play Batman in a serious, square-jawed, straight-ahead way without giving the audience the sense that there’s something behind that mask waiting to get out, that he’s a little crazed, he’s strange.”

The hunky Lyle Waggoner (later of The Carol Burnett Show) and Peter Deyell also tested to play the Gotham City crime fighters, but West and Ward clearly were superior, and Batman debuted at 7:30 p.m. on Jan. 12, 1966, a Wednesday.

The cliffhanger episode would be resolved the very next night — Same Bat-time! Same Bat-channel! The show was originally intended to last an hour, but ABC split it up when it had two time slots available on its primetime schedule.

West said that he played Batman “for laughs, but in order to do [that], one had to never think it was funny. You just had to pull on that cowl and believe that no one would recognize you.”

The series, filmed in eye-popping bright colors in an era of black-and-white and featuring a revolving set of villains like the Riddler (Frank Gorshin), Joker (Cesar Romero), Penguin (Burgess Meredith) and Catwoman (Julie Newmar), was an immediate hit; the Thursday installment was No. 5 in the Nielsen ratings for the 1965-66 season, and the Wednesday edition was No. 10.

Batman was nominated for the Emmy Award for outstanding comedy series in its first year, losing out to CBS’ The Dick Van Dyke Show. A 20th Century Fox movie was rushed into production and played in theaters in the summer before season two kicked off in September 1966.

However, the popularity of the show soon plummeted, and Batman — despite the addition of Yvonne Craig as Batgirl — was canceled in March 1968 after its third season.

West quickly struggled to find work, forced to make appearances in his cape and cowl at car shows and carnivals and in such obscure films as The Marriage of a Young Stockbroker (1971), written by Semple, and The Happy Hooker Goes Hollywood (1980). He and his family downsized, leaving their home in the tony Pacific Palisades for Ketchum, Idaho.

“The people who were hiring, the people who were running the studios, running the shows, were dinosaurs,” the actor said in the 2013 documentary Starring Adam West. “They thought Batman was a big accident, that there was no real creative thought, expertise or art behind it. They were wrong.”

He returned to voice his iconic character in such cartoons as The New Adventures of Batman, Legends of the Superheroes, SuperFriends: The Legendary Super Powers Show and The Simpsons, and Warner Bros.’ long-awaited DVD release of ABC’s Batman in 2014 brought him back into the Bat Signal’s spotlight.

He was born William West Anderson in Seattle on Sept. 19, 1928, the second of two sons. His father, Otto, was a wheat farmer; his mother, Audrey, was a pianist and opera singer.

West attended an all-boys high school, then graduated with a major in English literature from Whitman College. During his senior year, he worked for a local radio station, doing everything from Sunday morning religion shows to the news.

He also starred in a couple of plays at the local theater. “I found that I could move an audience and I was appreciated,” he said.

In the Army, West served as an announcer on American Forces Network television, then worked as the station manager at Stanford while he was a graduate student.

He got a job at a McClatchy station in Sacramento, Calif., then moved to Hawaii, where he hosted a two-hour weekday show in the late 1950s with a diaper-wearing chimp named Peaches. (West said he once interviewed William Holden as the actor was passing through.)

West got a contract at Warner Bros. at $150 a week and was placed in one of the studio’s TV series — Colt .45, Maverick, Hawaiian Eye, 77 Sunset Strip, Cheyenne, etc. — pretty much every week.

He got his first regular TV role when he played Det. Sgt. Steve Nelson under the command of Robert Taylor on the 1959-62 ABC/NBC series The Detectives, coming aboard when that show expanded to one hour in color.

After he split with Warner Bros., West showed up in such forgettable films as Geronimo (1962) starring Chuck Connors, Tammy and the Doctor (1963) with Sandra Dee and in The Three Stooges film The Outlaws Is Coming (1965) before Batman changed his life forever.

He later starred in a rejected 1991 NBC pilot episode called Lookwell — written by Conan O’Brien and Robert Smigel — in which he portrayed a once-famous TV detective who thinks he can solve crimes in real life.

Then came the gig on MacFarlane’s Family Guy.

“I had done a pilot with Seth that he had written for me. It turned out we had the same kind of comic sensibilities and got along well,” he said in a 2012 interview. “When Family Guy came around and Seth became brilliantly successful, he decided to call me and see what I was doing. He asked if I would like to come aboard as the mayor, and I thought it would be neat to do something sort of absurd and fun.”

The documentary Starring Adam West culminates with him receiving a star on The Hollywood Hall of Fame in 2012.

He married Marcelle in 1970; they met when she was the wife of the Lear Jet founder and they posed for a publicity photo at Santa Monica Airport, with him in his Batman costume. (They each had two children from their previous marriages, then added a couple of their own.)

When Batman was canceled, “The only thing I thought is that it would be the end of me, and it was for a bit,” he told an audience at Comic-Con in 2014. “But then I realized that what we created in the show … we created this zany, lovable world.

“I look around and I see the adults — I see you grew up with me, and you believe in the adventure. I never believed this would happen, that I would be up here with illustrious people like yourselves. I’m so grateful! I’m the luckiest actor in the world, folks, to have you still hanging around.”
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:16 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara