DC Extended Universe THREAD

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:53 pm

verslibre wrote:
S2M wrote:Btw, I couldn't name ONE person who thinks IM is shit.

Neither will anyone here. What's that got to do with anything? :lol:

Goalposts bro! Goalposts. So bent a caveman can do it :lol:

Trolls running into the DCEU all like:

Last edited by YoungJRNYfan on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:04 pm

EDIT
Last edited by YoungJRNYfan on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:28 pm

And slotting a movie high on a list merely because it came first( and believe me...when folks say 'Classic', that's exactly what they mean), is suspect.

Bro, it's my personal list, not some kind of professional; irrevelant ranking that most think they possess the power of nowadays when in reality, it's all in good fun regarding personal taste. Of course ego's and trolls make the most simplest of things about right or wrong, though. :roll:

Admittedly, I have yet to see WW...so, again, I can't comment.

"I can't comment.." then proceeds to comment :lol:

They (the DC CBM community) is taking a four star movie and making it into a perfect five stars

Only Monker can make me facepalm and laugh at the same time.

WW is lucky in that it really has had no real competition....NONE. With it being this perfect CBM, it should be doing even better than it has been.

YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:44 am

dude, you have combined posts from both S2M and myself and attributed all to me. Split up the posts and your comments, please.

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
And slotting a movie high on a list merely because it came first( and believe me...when folks say 'Classic', that's exactly what they mean), is suspect.

Bro, it's my personal list, not some kind of professional; irrevelant ranking that most think they possess the power of nowadays when in reality, it's all in good fun regarding personal taste. Of course ego's and trolls make the most simplest of things about right or wrong, though. :roll:

Admittedly, I have yet to see WW...so, again, I can't comment.

"I can't comment.." then proceeds to comment :lol:

They (the DC CBM community) is taking a four star movie and making it into a perfect five stars

Only Monker can make me facepalm and laugh at the same time.

WW is lucky in that it really has had no real competition....NONE. With it being this perfect CBM, it should be doing even better than it has been.

Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby verslibre » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:11 am

A couple other movies that had NO competition: Guardians of the Galaxy and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

The Mummy had a chance to make a bigger dent than Alien: Covenant.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:45 am

verslibre wrote:A couple other movies that had NO competition: Guardians of the Galaxy and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

Correct, GotG was a late summer movie which had low expectations and it WAY over- achieved to 770million worldwide.
GotG2 smoked everything on it's way to over 835million worldwide.

If WW is such a bombastic splash, it should also be headed to somewhere close to 800million. As it is, it will be lucky to get 700.

The Mummy had a chance to make a bigger dent than Alien: Covenant.[/quote]

Both had the same problem. Both are reboots or prequels. Alien had the benefit of at least being led by Ridley Scott. The Mummy, IMO, was a reboot that did not need to happen. Both Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz are still active. They could have easily tied them into this shared monster universe, if they wanted to be part of it. As it is, it seems to be rebooting something that doesn't need to be rebooted in a time when people are getting tired of reboots....and they did it in a way that totally ignores everything that made the Mummy series popular. I love the Mummy series and had zero interest in this version. I would have seen Alien until everybody I knew said it sucked.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby verslibre » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:24 am

Monker wrote:If WW is such a bombastic splash, it should also be headed to somewhere close to 800million. As it is, it will be lucky to get 700.

You make it sound like it's such a horrible goal to aim for. When all is said in done, the cumulative gross of the DCEU will be far ahead of the MCU's first four movies. Wonder Woman didn't cost $250 million to make, either.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:The Mummy had a chance to make a bigger dent than Alien: Covenant.

Both had the same problem. Both are reboots or prequels. Alien had the benefit of at least being led by Ridley Scott.

I hate to break this to you, but more ticketbuyers will name Patty Jenkins, Joss Whedon, Christopher Nolan, Denis Villenueve and Alejandro Iñarritu right now, as far as directors go. He's not really a "draw" now. Which is too bad, because he IS a great director. Ridley's almost at the "Ridley who?" point. He'll get a boost from having his name on Blade Runner 2049 as an executive producer.

Monker wrote:The Mummy, IMO, was a reboot that did not need to happen.

In total agreement with this, especially while Creature idles in limbo.

Monker wrote:Both Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz are still active. They could have easily tied them into this shared monster universe, if they wanted to be part of it.

Fraser hasn't had leading man status for an age. No way would they ask him back. Tom's hits are erratic, but he still gets 'em. Top Gun: Maverick is totally uncalled for, but the stupid thing will probably mint money.

Monker wrote:As it is, it seems to be rebooting something that doesn't need to be rebooted in a time when people are getting tired of reboots....and they did it in a way that totally ignores everything that made the Mummy series popular. I love the Mummy series and had zero interest in this version.

It's too soon. And it's not horror. It's a cross between M:I and superheroes with a mummy villain. It's an action movie.
Last edited by verslibre on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:39 am

Monker wrote:You're right. So much of this is exaggerated. It's partially because it is the first female CBM to do well. It's also the fact that DC NEEDED WW to do well. So, combine those together and you get WW is great CBM ever made type comments.

So you're suggesting all the hot talk is influencing the Marvel actors (Evans, Ruffalo, D'Onofrio, Dawson) and other actors/directors who have tweeted Patty, Gal, Chris and WB their congratulations? That's nonsense.

Monker wrote:Also, for whatever reason, Forbes seems to be very DC biased. Don't know why.

You may want to pay more attention to the text copy and the bylines. Scott Mendelson is not biased in favor of the DCEU. He crunches numbers harder than Mark Hughes, who is a DCEU fan. But Mark doesn't automatically give everything an "A" rating, either.

Monker wrote:They (the DC CBM community) is taking a four star movie and making it into a perfect five stars.

There's no mind control at work. Sorry.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:49 am

Monker wrote:
So, WW did NOT "bury the Mummy" or whatever. The Mummy simply did not interest the ticket buying public. Ww did not steal much from the Mummy because there was nothing there to really steal. Where WW is at is is where it would be regardless of what movies were released.

Ah see yer workin' overtime there to undermine Diana's appeal, pardner. :wink: :lol:

Monker wrote:BTW, foreign sales actually beat WW's debut weekend sales. So, it is selling over-seas.

Not what Universal wants to hear. I told S2M, and I'll say it again: studios collect far less from overseas grosses than domestic. Studios WANT MORE tickets sold HERE. They also prefer their movies FRONT-loaded. "Legs" are nice, but they're prefer the thing to make a lot of money it's first two or three weeks, before other movies come in.

WW is already ahead of MoS' 21-day total. It needs only 70 million more to match MoS' domestic cume. WW has been out for 12 days. It's going to play all summer and continue to sell tickets. Cars 3 may emerge as the new #1 this weekend because it's an all ages animated movie, but I don't think it'll leave WW in its dust, either.

I just looked, and Wonder Woman also sold more tickets on the first and second "Discount" Tuesdays after opening than MoS, BvS, and SS.

Monker wrote:WW is lucky in that it really has had no real competition....NONE. With it being this perfect CBM, it should be doing even better than it has been.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:25 am

verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:If WW is such a bombastic splash, it should also be headed to somewhere close to 800million. As it is, it will be lucky to get 700.

You make it sound like it's such a horrible goal to aim for.

No, it's not a horrible goal to aim for. It's a good goal for a four star movie.

Both had the same problem. Both are reboots or prequels. Alien had the benefit of at least being led by Ridley Scott.

I hate to break this to you, but more ticketbuyers will name Patty Jenkins, Joss Whedon, Christopher Nolan, Denis Villenueve and Alejandro Iñarritu right now, as far as directors go.

When it comes to Alien, there are only two that matte: Ridley Scott and James Cameron. Anybody else sucks.

Having one of those to lead the project draws a lot more attention than anybody else you can name. This is Alien, not some CBM.

Monker wrote:The Mummy, IMO, was a reboot that did not need to happen.

In total agreement with his, especially while Creature idles in limbo.

Monker wrote:Both Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz are still active. They could have easily tied them into this shared monster universe, if they wanted to be part of it.

Fraser hasn't had leading man status for an age. No way would they ask him back. Tom's hits are erratic, but he still gets 'em. Top Gun; Maverick is totally uncalled for, but the stupid thing will probably mint money.

Fraser had the "Journey" movies, but nothing since, as far as I know. Still, he and Weisz are perfect together. A special combination that you just can't forcefully recreate. Mummy 3 proves that.

I can't see a Top Gun sequel going anywhere. Things have moved on from that style and I don't see it selling today.

Monker wrote:As it is, it seems to be rebooting something that doesn't need to be rebooted in a time when people are getting tired of reboots....and they did it in a way that totally ignores everything that made the Mummy series popular. I love the Mummy series and had zero interest in this version.

It's too soon. And it's not horror. It's a cross between M:I and superheroes with a mummy villain. It's an action movie.

For me, the original Mummy series was a take off on Indiana Jones/Tombraider meets the old Sinbad movies. They were not about "horror" per se. It was more Action/Adventure. But, so are things like Van Helsing. Bram Stoker's Dracula was also as much of a love story as it was a 'horror' movie.

I guess it doesn't matter much. I think a shared "monster universe" is an interesting idea but I don't see it working.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:54 pm

YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:01 pm

Star Wars Episode IX Director On How 'Wonder Woman' Affected His Movie
http://comicbook.com/starwars/2017/06/1 ... der-woman/
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:01 am

Monker wrote:When it comes to Alien, there are only two that matte: Ridley Scott and James Cameron. Anybody else sucks.

Cameron's overrated. Scott's the better filmmaker, but Cameron's films have made more money. (Avatar sucks. Go figure.)

Monker wrote:Having one of those to lead the project draws a lot more attention than anybody else you can name. This is Alien, not some CBM.

Meaning what? The Alien franchise does alright, but they're not runaway moneymakers. The first movie is still the best one.

Monker wrote:Fraser had the "Journey" movies, but nothing since, as far as I know. Still, he and Weisz are perfect together. A special combination that you just can't forcefully recreate. Mummy 3 proves that.

Sommers' Mummy movies made money, but come on, they suck. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:55 pm

verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:When it comes to Alien, there are only two that matte: Ridley Scott and James Cameron. Anybody else sucks.

Cameron's overrated. Scott's the better filmmaker, but Cameron's films have made more money. (Avatar sucks. Go figure.)

Monker wrote:Having one of those to lead the project draws a lot more attention than anybody else you can name. This is Alien, not some CBM.

Meaning what? The Alien franchise does alright, but they're not runaway moneymakers. The first movie is still the best one.

Meaning, the first two Alien movies put the rest to shame. They are classics. The rest are just money grabbing.

Ridley Scott trying to revive the Alien franchise was a good thing. Prometheus was OK and something to build from but if this latest is as bad as everyone says...not sure it's going to go anywhere now.

Monker wrote:Fraser had the "Journey" movies, but nothing since, as far as I know. Still, he and Weisz are perfect together. A special combination that you just can't forcefully recreate. Mummy 3 proves that.

Sommers' Mummy movies made money, but come on, they suck. :lol:[/quote]

Don't care...for that style of movie, they are some of the best. At that time, Indy was history and Lara Croft had not hit the movies. So, they filled a gap and did it well. IMO, people were ready for that Indiana Jones style of movie...and The Mummy movies filled that gap...and so did Tomb Raider.

Actually, a good action/adventure story hasn't hit the movies in a long time so people may be ready for it again. Not sure about a new Indy...or a new Lara Croft. Something new could really break out.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby S2M » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:45 pm

My bet is on 'Uncharted' being the next action game made into a movie. I don't have PS4, nor have played the game, but it's been all the rave for years.
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:34 pm

Wonder Woman Wasn't Influenced By DCEU Criticisms
“In our case we were incredibly fortunate, DC didn’t ever give me a mandate of tone. And I pitched to Warner Bros. and DC ten years ago, ‘I want to make the origin movie, a la the first Superman with Christopher Reeve. I want to go back and try to do a grand piece of cinema for her.’ So I had been very strong about being excited about that idea, and they really supported it from the start,” Jenkins explained. “We were already just different. It’s hard to apply anything about one movie to another. So luckily, no. We just carried on. We were like, far away in England making this movie… we just trudged on.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/06/15/wond ... criticism/

Good to hear DC is sticking the course. Good things will happen. This coincides with Snyder's "sandbox" theory. Though the DC Cinematic Universe is connected, it's called the "DC Extended Universe" where director's and creative helming the project will get to tell their version of a character and put their own spin on their movie to make it their own. As long as it connects in some way, the DCEU will allow their universe to be much looser with different styles instead of being formulaic across the board and make the same film over and over again. The thought of Wan's Aquaman is going to be BOSS.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:42 pm

Aquaman #25 sets the stage for a new arc and a new look to the character. Looks familiar. Can't put a finger on it. Any takers? :lol:

YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:50 pm

MoS/BvS debates and discussion still raging on. So damn good:

Zack Snyder Confirms Batman V Superman Fan Theory
http://screenrant.com/batman-v-superman ... ck-snyder/
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:50 am

I hear Elfman is now doing the JL score. This would be exciting 30 years ago. Elfman just pumps out generic garbage these days. The '89 Batman theme is distinctive. Does anyone remember his Spiderman theme? I don't.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:57 am

Despite the bad reviews, Mummy looks like a fun popcorn movie to me. I liked Stephen Summers Van Helsing monster-mash and this looks very similar. Cruise is playing a Van Helsing-type monster hunter and Russel Crowe is Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde. Plus Fulci-style underwater zombies! Sign me up!
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:16 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:I hear Elfman is now doing the JL score. This would be exciting 30 years ago. Elfman just pumps out generic garbage these days. The '89 Batman theme is distinctive. Does anyone remember his Spiderman theme? I don't.

Believe me, I am pissed. I think this is Joss' doing. I was looking forward to Junkie XL's score.

Listen to this. This is awesome. This is the kind of music I wanted for Justice League.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xllG3fSUAOw

(That's my fave track from that score, set to my favorite scene in the movie. I was bowled over in the theater, to say the least.)

Elfman is just...so freakin' Elfman. Everything he does sounds like he's scoring to another quirky Burton film. Fuck that!

There are SO many composers they could go with. Now, I don't know why Tom aka Junkie really got let go. I think Joss just wanted Elfman. Maybe they blow each other under the Hollywood sign. But they could have gotten Desplat or Beltrami. I'd even settle for Giacchino.
Last edited by verslibre on Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:23 am

verslibre wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:I hear Elfman is now doing the JL score. This would be exciting 30 years ago. Elfman just pumps out generic garbage these days. The '89 Batman theme is distinctive. Does anyone remember his Spiderman theme? I don't.

Believe me, I am pissed. I think this is Joss' doing. I was looking forward to Junkie XL's score.

Listen to this. This is awesome. This is the kind of music I wanted for Justice League.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xllG3fSUAOw

(That's my fave track from that score, set to my favorite scene in the movie. I was bowled over in the theater, to say the least.)

Elfman is just...so freakin' Elfman. Everything he does sounds like he's scoring to another quirky Burton film. Fuck that!

There are SO many composers they could go with. Now, I don't know why Tom aka Junkie really got let go. I think Joss just wanted Elfman. Maybe they blow each other under the Hollywood sign. But they could have gotten Desplat or Beltrami. I'd even settle for Giacchino.

Forgot about Junkie's involvement with Fury Road...what a movie btw. As big as Fury was, it should have been bigger. Best action flick in easily 10 years or more. Whedon's Ultron pretty much sucked. His film-making style is very TVish. He should stick to writing Buffy Angel erotic.
Last edited by The_Noble_Cause on Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:23 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Despite the bad reviews, Mummy looks like a fun popcorn movie to me. I liked Stephen Summers Van Helsing monster-mash and this looks very similar. Cruise is playing a Van Helsing-type monster hunter and Russel Crowe is Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde. Plus Fulci-style underwater zombies! Sign me up!

That movie disappointed me, as did his Mummy flicks (though Patricia Velasquez was hot as hell in Returns). It felt like he was able to realize his schoolyard daydreaming with that one. I thought Hugh looked cool in it, though. But the final product wasn't to my liking. The vampire babes were hot, of course (and one of them is Elena Anaya, who plays Dr. Poison in Wonder Woman).

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:25 am

verslibre wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Despite the bad reviews, Mummy looks like a fun popcorn movie to me. I liked Stephen Summers Van Helsing monster-mash and this looks very similar. Cruise is playing a Van Helsing-type monster hunter and Russel Crowe is Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde. Plus Fulci-style underwater zombies! Sign me up!

That movie disappointed me, as did his Mummy flicks (though Patricia Velasquez was hot as hell in Returns). It felt like he was able to realize his schoolyard daydreaming with that one. I thought Hugh looked cool in it, though. But the final product wasn't to my liking. The vampire babes were hot, of course (and one of them is Elena Anaya, who plays Dr. Poison in Wonder Woman).

I grew up on Monster Squad and all the Karloff/Lugosi stuff. Sommer's Van Helsing tickled my inner child (not in a Sandusky way). I know it's schlock.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:35 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Forgot about Junkie's involvement with Fury Road...what a movie btw. As big as Fury was, it should have been bigger. Best action flick in easily 10 years or more.

Whedon's Ultron pretty much sucked. His film-making style is very TVish. He should stick to writing Buffy Angel erotic.

That's why I don't want him overhauling Justice League. They said he was shooting additional scenes, but now my collar's getting stuffy. Love him or hate him, Zack's shooting style is very cinematic. Grandiose. Epic. Whedon looks like he's making TV.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:38 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:I grew up on Monster Squad and all the Karloff/Lugosi stuff.

Same here. Vincent Price. Christopher Lee. Hammer films. Couldn't get enough!
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:43 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Aquaman #25 sets the stage for a new arc and a new look to the character. Looks familiar. Can't put a finger on it. Any takers? :lol:

Somebody at DC's a Ross fan! :lol:

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:53 am

Monker wrote:Ridley Scott trying to revive the Alien franchise was a good thing. Prometheus was OK and something to build from but if this latest is as bad as everyone says...not sure it's going to go anywhere now.

Calling it now: David will become the Space Jockey from the 1979 film.

Monker wrote:Don't care...for that style of movie, they are some of the best. At that time, Indy was history and Lara Croft had not hit the movies. So, they filled a gap and did it well. IMO, people were ready for that Indiana Jones style of movie...and The Mummy movies filled that gap...and so did Tomb Raider.

Actually, a good action/adventure story hasn't hit the movies in a long time so people may be ready for it again. Not sure about a new Indy...or a new Lara Croft. Something new could really break out.

Don't fret. This franchise was revived last year!

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:53 am

verslibre wrote:
Calling it now: David will become the Space Jockey from the 1979 film.

That seemed to be the plan. The failure of Covenant has hopefully stopped Ridley from doing more damage. Prometheus was a dumb movie asking big questions. It didn't have any answers, but I appreciated the effort. Covenant is like a bad Friday the 13th sequel. It's vapid. In between the usual carnage, we have robots making-out while reciting interminable passages of James Joyce (or whatever). Such scenes do not make a movie thought provoking. It's the equivalent of a college freshman padding a term paper with charts and graphs. Shit movie!
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:56 am

I'm 40/60 on Elfman. This is for sure Joss's doing. Elfman is his go-to and Joss brought him in late on other films before. Junkies rendition of Zimmers bombastic drums and hardcover beats for the DCEU stuck out and had a whole lot going for it. The scores added to the mythical world the DCEU is creating. Elfman will probably handle the JL score as a group but hopefully he'll include what has already been done from Hans and Junkie because that shit was EPIC. It may be more triumph but there's density lacking in Elfman scores. His Batman '89 is legendary though.

As for the Snyder/ Whedon collaboration, I think fans are really exaggerating the issue. I still think JL is Zack's film and Joss will obey the structure but it's almost inevitable that Joss will have power with certain things so it'll be interesting. Geoff Johns poked fun at all that hoopla so hopefully Zack's work will be commended and hand Joss a smooth transition.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Death By Stereo