DC Extended Universe THREAD

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby S2M » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:28 am

CBMs will be tumbleweed junction in 5 years.
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby verslibre » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:36 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
verslibre wrote:Aquaman is done. Wonder Woman 2 and Shazam! go into production in 2018. Same film universe.

The current state of the DC cinematic universe is still very much in doubt. Aquaman director, James Wan, has been openly distancing himself from creative choices in Justice League. Wonder Woman 2, like Suicide Squad 2, was inevitable because it made $$$. DC Films has completely restructured following Justice League. Matt Reeves seemingly wants nothing to do with Affleck. Originally proposed films like Cyborg, JL2, and MOS 2 will never see the light of day. The entire focus has shifted from a connected universe ala Marvel to standalone films. This has been documented all over.

Yes, the movies that make money get sequels. Wonder Woman outgrossed all the other Marvel and DC origin films. All of them. Not doing Wonder Woman 2 would be a very bad move.

Wan has not "distanced himself" from Justice League. He even tweeted that he liked it.

What Wan did recently is shut down some clickbait that Aquaman has "too many" villains.
Last edited by verslibre on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:37 am

S2M wrote:CBMs will be tumbleweed junction in 5 years.

As in 2022? Don't bet money on that. You'll lose. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby S2M » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:41 am

verslibre wrote:

Golan/Globus ain't walking through that door! And if you get THAT reference WITHOUT looking it up I'll be impressed. :lol: :lol:
S2M
MP3

Postby verslibre » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:48 am

S2M wrote:
verslibre wrote:

Golan/Globus ain't walking through that door! And if you get THAT reference WITHOUT looking it up I'll be impressed. :lol: :lol:

Bwahahahahahaha! Come on, we're all 40somethings (maybe 50 in your case!) and I also watched all those G/G Chuck Norris flicks in the '80s! :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:49 am

verslibre wrote:Yes, the movies that make money get sequels.

Suicide Squad and WW made bank. But that's not a universe. Justice League was supposed to be the central linchpin of the extended DC universe. It misfired. There's nothing holding the universe together right now except Wonder Woman. And maybe Suicide Squad, which was a mess.

verslibre wrote:Those movies outgrossed stuff like Doctor Strange and Ant-Man, but they'll still get sequels.

Those DC films also cost ALOT more. Strange and Antman came after the Marvel universe had been concretely built. Marvel could afford to take some risks.

verslibre wrote:Not doing Wonder Woman 2 would be a very bad move.

Never said WW2 wasn't happening. Wonder Woman is the only DC movie that was well-received AND profitable.

verslibre wrote:Wan has not "distanced himself" from Justice League. He even tweeted that he liked it.

Not looking to argue. You are simply uninformed.

Regarding the laugh-inducing air bubbles in Justice League, Wan tweeted "Fret not, no air bubbles for dialogue in my underwater world."

He also said Aquaman is "going to look very different, it will feel very different — aesthetically, tonally, story-wise — it’s my own take. It’s a much more a traditional action-adventure quest movie."
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:24 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
verslibre wrote:Those movies outgrossed stuff like Doctor Strange and Ant-Man, but they'll still get sequels.

Those DC films also cost ALOT more. Strange and Antman came after the Marvel universe had been concretely built. Marvel could afford to take some risks.

Actually, Wonder Woman ($149 million) cost less than Doctor Strange ($165 million), and the latter barely finished with more than Man of Steel (which looks a lot better), even with the combo of Benedict and the Marvel brand.

Suicide Squad was $175 million.

Ant-Man was a much cheaper movie, but they cooked the numbers on it because that project dragged on for years before Edgar Wright finally said he'd had enough.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Not looking to argue. You are simply uninformed.

Regarding the laugh-inducing air bubbles in Justice League, Wan tweeted "Fret not, no air bubbles for dialogue in my underwater world."

:lol: Same here. / That just means they figured out a way to make the dialogue sound better in an underwater environment. That's not a wholesale condemnation of the convo between Aquaman and Mera, which sounded fine, and which I believe we'll get a reprise of. Of course, "air bubbles" is a direct reference to the comics...

The_Noble_Cause wrote:He also said Aquaman is "going to look very different, it will feel very different — aesthetically, tonally, story-wise — it’s my own take. It’s a much more a traditional action-adventure quest movie."

You're definitely overthinking it. His rhetoric doesn't isn't a dismissal of JL. He's effectively saying "this is something new, different — don't expect what my predecessors have done." Wan is a successful director in his own right. He doesn't need to emulate the styles of others.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby S2M » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:35 am

Maybe they should get an ACTUAL talented director to handle the next movie....

YUEN WOO-PING. NO ONE does action better than he...not even Bay.
S2M
MP3

Postby verslibre » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:39 am

WTF! Bay sucks. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:44 am

verslibre wrote:Actually, Wonder Woman ($149 million) cost less than Doctor Strange ($165 million),

Wonder Woman surpassed industry expectations. When I talk about DC burning money, I am referring to BvS and JL.

verslibre wrote: and the latter barely finished with more than Man of Steel (which looks a lot better), even with the combo of Benedict and the Marvel brand.

That's really an indictment of DC and MOS - not Strange. Superman is the most well-known superhero. Outside of comic-reading circles, Dr. Strange is fairly obscure.

verslibre wrote:Ant-Man was a much cheaper movie, but they cooked the numbers on it because that project dragged on for years before Edgar Wright finally said he'd had enough.

D-list heroes like Ant-Man should not even be muttered in the same breath as Batman and Superman. DC had a license to print money and really blew it.

verslibre wrote::lol: Same here. / That just means they figured out a way to make the dialogue sound better in an underwater environment. That's not a wholesale condemnation of the convo between Aquaman and Mera, which sounded fine, and which I believe we'll get a reprise of. Of course, "air bubbles" is a direct reference to the comics...

If there was nothing to be embarrassed about, Wan wouldn't have felt the need to respond.

verslibre wrote:You're definitely overthinking it. His rhetoric doesn't isn't a dismissal of JL. He's effectively saying "this is something new, different — don't expect what my predecessors have done." Wan is a successful director in his own right. He doesn't need to emulate the styles of others.

That's one interpretation. I fully expect Wan and Momoa to further distance themselves from JL in the months ahead. Watch this space.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:50 am

I look forward to the Marvel movies which will yield comparable imagery and choreography.

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:51 am

verslibre wrote:I look forward to the Marvel movies which will yield comparable imagery and choreography.

Snyder has left the building, dude.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:57 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
verslibre wrote:Actually, Wonder Woman ($149 million) cost less than Doctor Strange ($165 million),

Wonder Woman surpassed industry expectations. When I talk about DC burning money, I am referring to BvS and JL.

Last I checked, BvS made a lot of money. Not a billion, but even Patrick Wilson of The Conjuring (and Orm, in Aquaman) said he didn't understand why it wasn't regarded as successful after having made nearly 900 million.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:That's really an indictment of DC and MOS - not Strange. Superman is the most well-known superhero. Outside of comic-reading circles, Dr. Strange is fairly obscure.

Not necessarily. Even Monker said he thought Strange had a good chance of hitting a billion. He never followed up on that comment.

MoS' budget owed in part to the prepro done while Singer was still attached to direct a sequel to Superman Returns.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
verslibre wrote:Ant-Man was a much cheaper movie, but they cooked the numbers on it because that project dragged on for years before Edgar Wright finally said he'd had enough.

D-list heroes like Ant-Man should not even be muttered in the same breath as Batman and Superman. DC had a license to print money and really blew it.

We all hope they've learned from the tragedy that is Justice League.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
verslibre wrote::lol: Same here. / That just means they figured out a way to make the dialogue sound better in an underwater environment. That's not a wholesale condemnation of the convo between Aquaman and Mera, which sounded fine, and which I believe we'll get a reprise of. Of course, "air bubbles" is a direct reference to the comics...

If there was nothing to be embarrassed about, Wan wouldn't have felt the need to respond.

Oh, he probably heard somebody gargling Dr. Pepper and saying "Aquaaaamaaaannnn!!!" :lol:

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
verslibre wrote:You're definitely overthinking it. His rhetoric doesn't isn't a dismissal of JL. He's effectively saying "this is something new, different — don't expect what my predecessors have done." Wan is a successful director in his own right. He doesn't need to emulate the styles of others.

That's one interpretation. I fully expect Wan and Momoa to further distance themselves from JL in the months ahead. Watch this space.

No need to watch and wait. The cast is fully supportive of their time with Zack. Haven't heard them remark as much about that Joss guy.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:58 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
verslibre wrote:I look forward to the Marvel movies which will yield comparable imagery and choreography.

Snyder has left the building, dude.

Reeves' Apes movies look great. I expect some good shit from that guy.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:58 am

S2M wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:
verslibre wrote:
Nope, Wonder Woman 2 is filming in '18. Already written, cast and crew are set up. There were rumors of a movie with Shazam/Superman/Black Adam, but with the Black Adam movie off the slate, that's probably not happening, either. Yet. Shazam! starts filming in February, too.

The existence of Wonder Woman 2 doesn't prevent her being teamed up with Superman in the future. If the DC cinematic universe even goes forward (a BIG *if*) I imagine most of the films will involve her predominantly. DC added Batman into the mix because a solo Superman film did not connect with audiences. It would be a huge gamble for them to try that again.

The problem with ANY story is that plot doesn't matter as much as folks think. Yes, plot helps drive the story...in the background, and yes a hokey plot can ruin a movie, and to an equal extent: Casting. But interesting characters, DIALOGUE, and intelligent INTERACTIONS between those interesting characters are what determines a bad movie from a good movie, and a good movie from a great movie.

How in the MOTHER FUCK can you say something like this and then in the next breath say that Joss Whedon gets a pass?! Did you see Justice League? That dude is a fucking imbecile. His reshoots with Aquaman and Mera are laughable at best. The unnecessary dialogue in that scene is cringe-worthy. He then went on to add insufferable bullshit like talking about brunch and being itchy and smelling good. Those are Clark's first reactions from a Whedon penned script after coming back from the dead in an intimate moment with Lois. Feeling itchy. The "Yep, definitely bleeding" was stuff amateurs would write and it comes at the hands of Batman? Embarrassing. I've written better fan fic. Whedon doesn't get a pass.Though he did do some good technical things (like opening Batman scene and the Superman/Flash race) he gets a big fuck you from me with DIALOGUE and INTERACTIONS.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby S2M » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:36 pm

I NEVER said he gets a pass. I said he's basically risen to fanboy heights because of Serenity, and Firefly...and he's just living off past reputation now. I mentioned getting 'a pass' from his lame-ass fanbase.
S2M
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:39 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Suicide Squad and WW made bank. But that's not a universe. Justice League was supposed to be the central linchpin of the extended DC universe. It misfired. There's nothing holding the universe together right now except Wonder Woman. And maybe Suicide Squad, which was a mess.

Justice League misfired but just like how BvS misfired, the concept of the DCEU was to work in reverse of the Marvel model. The intention was always going to set up a shared universe in team-up films and work their way out from there to introduce the standalone films. Though BvS didn't meet expectations, Wonder Woman's role in that film was meant to set-up her solo feature. It worked. Aquaman is finished and was the next movie slated after JL. The same method is in place. Justice League was meant to spawn a new direction and get audience ready for solo adventures. That's what the DC Films universe is going to be held together by. Solo films. Superman returned in JL and there's high demand for a Superman film right now. He's 1/3 of the Trinity. With Wonder Woman 2 slated and Batman ushering out its current actor, the iron is hot to have Henry and Gal regroup and lead this thing into the next saga.

That's really an indictment of DC and MOS - not Strange. Superman is the most well-known superhero. Outside of comic-reading circles, Dr. Strange is fairly obscure.

Superman may be the most well-known, but there's been so many iterations that being the most well-known doesn't necessarily equal out to all things positive with the character's exposure in pop culture. Superman is still in a state of flux of what he should be to a mass audience while characters like Doctor Strange benefit from the Marvel Cinematic Brand. Doctor Strange may be obscure, but the MCU isn't. Being attached to that technical aspect helps those obscure matters.

If they do anything, they will do another team up movie. Maybe Cavill's Supes with Wonder Woman. They won't bet the farm on another MOS solo movie. Losing proposition.

I bet they do. Soft-booting this DC Films Universe already happened with JL. Time and time again the rebranding of the DC films moniker was about rebuilding characters that inspired hope, optimism, heroism, fun and adventure. There's no other heavyweight in the DC library that represents those definitions more than Superman. They have a chance to wrong the right by re-visiting the character that should of been a beacon to begin with. It would be a poetic start-over by going back to the one who started things to reinvent the DCEU wheel. Wonder Woman is a warrior. Batman is dark. Superman is the light. Focus on that. If they play the cards right in their rebrand, there's no better winning proposition than to have Superman carry that "hope" and "optimism" torch. They can pick that ball back up and run with it.

I'm also not ruling out Superman appearing in Wonder Woman 2. Patty Jenkins is a massive Superman fan and would want nothing more than to play with his universe. Amy Adams mentioned in an interview how she "can't wait to work with Patty." I bet at the very least, Amy appears in Wonder Woman 2. Maybe doing a piece from the Daily Planet on this Amazonian Warrior who also has ties to seeing her beloved pass away in front of her. Lois and Diana have a lot in common and Patty can make one helluva scene evolve around two of the most powerful (and influential) women in the DC Universe in their own ways.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:55 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Suicide Squad and WW made bank. But that's not a universe. Justice League was supposed to be the central linchpin of the extended DC universe. It misfired. There's nothing holding the universe together right now except Wonder Woman. And maybe Suicide Squad, which was a mess.

Justice League misfired but just like how BvS misfired, the concept of the DCEU was to work in reverse of the Marvel model. The intention was always going to set up a shared universe in team-up films and work their way out from there to introduce the standalone films. Though BvS didn't meet expectations, Wonder Woman's role in that film was meant to set-up her solo feature. It worked. Aquaman is finished and was the next movie slated after JL. The same method is in place. Justice League was meant to spawn a new direction and get audience ready for solo adventures. That's what the DC Films universe is going to be held together by. Solo films. Superman returned in JL and there's high demand for a Superman film right now. He's 1/3 of the Trinity. With Wonder Woman 2 slated and Batman ushering out its current actor, the iron is hot to have Henry and Gal regroup and lead this thing into the next saga.

Superman may be the most well-known, but there's been so many iterations that being the most well-known doesn't necessarily equal out to all things positive with the character's exposure in pop culture. Superman is still in a state of flux of what he should be to a mass audience while characters like Doctor Strange benefit from the Marvel Cinematic Brand. Doctor Strange may be obscure, but the MCU isn't. Being attached to that technical aspect helps those obscure matters.

If they do anything, they will do another team up movie. Maybe Cavill's Supes with Wonder Woman. They won't bet the farm on another MOS solo movie. Losing proposition.

I bet they do. Soft-booting this DC Films Universe already happened with JL. Time and time again the rebranding of the DC films moniker was about rebuilding characters that inspired hope, optimism, heroism, fun and adventure. There's no other heavyweight in the DC library that represents those definitions more than Superman. They have a chance to wrong the right by re-visiting the character that should of been a beacon to begin with. It would be a poetic start-over by going back to the one who started things to reinvent the DCEU wheel. Wonder Woman is a warrior. Batman is dark. Superman is the light. Focus on that. If they play the cards right in their rebrand, there's no better winning proposition than to have Superman carry that "hope" and "optimism" torch. They can pick that ball back up and run with it.

I'm also not ruling out Superman appearing in Wonder Woman 2. Patty Jenkins is a massive Superman fan and would want nothing more than to play with his universe. Amy Adams mentioned in an interview how she "can't wait to work with Patty." I bet at the very least, Amy appears in Wonder Woman 2. Maybe doing a piece from the Daily Planet on this Amazonian Warrior who also has ties to seeing her beloved pass away in front of her. Lois and Diana have a lot in common and Patty can make one helluva scene evolve around two of the most powerful (and influential) women in the DC Universe in their own ways.

Yes, solo movies for Aquaman, Cyborg, and Flash were always planned, but the extended inter-connected DC universe was also supposed to be ongoing. That is now being minimized. It's clear they don't know what the hell they're doing. As for MOS 2, I feel like we have been debating this now for almost a decade. If the studio believed in the Cavill brand, they would not have shoehorned Batman into the follow-up in the first place. Nobody is going to pony up the cash to finance MOS 2.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:09 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Yes, solo movies for Aquaman, Cyborg, and Flash were always planned, but the extended inter-connected DC universe was also supposed to be ongoing. That is now being minimized. It's clear they don't know what the hell they're doing.

Man of Steel was self contained. So was Wonder Woman and Aquaman/Reeves Batman films will be too and they will connect to the DCEU, as will Shazam. They just won't be constant setup films like how Marvel shared their universe where they have to play on the prior's rules. Snyder and Charles Roven talked about the "sandbox" approach forever, even before BvS. Director's will be allowed to contain their stories into their own as long as they keep the sand in the box. It was always the plan. I think it's safe to assume that the general audience can really give a shit about continuity any more. Hearing what Matthew Vaughn is saying, it's no coincidence WB is turning to a guy that single handily turned a struggling X-Men franchise upside down and onto its head. The DCEU is going to get X-versed. It's getting softbooted while keeping the elements that worked.

As for MOS 2, I feel like we have been debating this now for almost a decade. If the studio believed in the Cavill brand, they would not have shoehorned Batman into the follow-up in the first place. Nobody is going to pony up the cash to finance MOS 2.

It's really not been that long. The intention after MoS was always going to be setting up the shared universe. WB is struggling with that aspect. It's their Achilles's heel. Ironically, shoe-horning Batman into all of this has backfired the most immensely. There's nothing but drama on the Batman front and the biggest complaints in the DCEU and from fans is how they still need to get Superman right. Shoe-horning Batman is even more proof that Superman needs to be a top priority in all of this. Not going with a proper Man of Steel 2 first has always been the common consensus of this mis-fire. Think about it.

It won't take much for the powers that be to gain instant confidence in a Superman movie if a big name director ala Matthew Vaughn or J.A Bayona (who expressed interest in MoS2) signs on. Those are huge boosters and it's known Vaughn has had talks about Superman that are still ongoing at this moment. Superman doesn't need a big budget. Keep it Wonder Woman levels. A good, character driven and adventurous Superman story can be had without an overflated budget, no doubt.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:25 pm

verslibre wrote:WTF! Bay sucks. :lol:

100% agree
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:13 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Man of Steel was self contained.

Correct. Imo that's partially why BvsS felt so forced. MOS was never intended to kick-start an entire inter-connected universe (a blink-and-miss-it Wayne Easter egg notwithstanding).

YoungJRNYfan wrote:So was Wonder Woman and Aquaman/Reeves Batman films will be too and they will connect to the DCEU, as will Shazam.

I wouldn't lump Reeves's Batman film with these other films. The original plans for The Batman was to have him face off against Deathstroke, who was to be set-up in JL. The Deathstroke scenes in JL were left on the cutting room floor. Reeves's decided to start fresh on Batman and discard Affleck's script. There is no master plan here. It changes day by day. Reeves is being given carte blanche to do as he sees fit.

YoungJRNYfan wrote: Hearing what Matthew Vaughn is saying, it's no coincidence WB is turning to a guy that single handily turned a struggling X-Men franchise upside down and onto its head. The DCEU is going to get X-versed. It's getting softbooted while keeping the elements that worked.

X-Men wasn't really struggling. At the time, X3 was the highest grossing film in the franchise. Admittedly, it was shitty. Vaughn's First Class (which I love) actually made less.

YoungJRNYfan wrote:It's really not been that long. The intention after MoS was always going to be setting up the shared universe.

No, it wasn't. They are making it up as they go along. If MOS had been massively successful, they would have done more Superman films.

YoungJRNYfan wrote:It won't take much for the powers that be to gain instant confidence in a Superman movie if a big name director ala Matthew Vaughn or J.A Bayona (who expressed interest in MoS2) signs on. Those are huge boosters and it's known Vaughn has had talks about Superman that are still ongoing at this moment. Superman doesn't need a big budget. Keep it Wonder Woman levels. A good, character driven and adventurous Superman story can be had without an overflated budget, no doubt.

Doubling down on Cavill's Superman after a tepid response to 3 films is unheard of in Hollywood. I'll believe it when I see it.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:27 am

RedWingFan wrote:
Abitaman wrote:I know Star Wars is really a Disney Marvel movie, but has anyone seen it? I saw it last night it was pretty good. Won't give any details because of spoilers, but one of the better. I've seen a lot of complaints online about what happened in the movie, but there's still another movie to go to explain things. So I think people are getting upset for nothing. The one drawback for me a lot of the humor seemed forced

It was entertaining. Time flew by while watching it. Didn't care with where they went with characters and how they are changing what the force is and what it can do.
The Leia scene and the BB8 scene taking out the guards were stupid

Also stupid:

Snoke being a really cheesy caricature of a villain.
That entire episode with Finn and Rose on the planet with the casino. That was some baaad writing.
Those fuckin' Porgs. (Worst-ever name for an alien species, too.)
Hux ...for a guy who is such an uncompromising villain, he's a buffoon.
The "bomber bay" sequence...zero gravity, anyone? Hahahahaha!

And since some people think the negative reviews of The Last Jedi are fake:

https://twitter.com/GeekVibesNation/status/943536892867379202
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:33 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:I wouldn't lump Reeves's Batman film with these other films. The original plans for The Batman was to have him face off against Deathstroke, who was to be set-up in JL. The Deathstroke scenes in JL were left on the cutting room floor. Reeves's decided to start fresh on Batman and discard Affleck's script. There is no master plan here. It changes day by day. Reeves is being given carte blanche to do as he sees fit.

The Deathstroke script was the one Ben was going to direct. Ben no longer wanted to direct. Matt obviously has other ideas, as directors like Edgar Wright, Gareth Edwards and Rian Johnson often do.

YoungJRNYfan wrote:X-Men wasn't really struggling. At the time, X3 was the highest grossing film in the franchise. Admittedly, it was shitty. Vaughn's First Class (which I love) actually made less.

There was a five-year gap, and First Class (a great movie) performed well below expectations. As did X-Men: Apocalypse.

Days of Future Past grossed a good amount but it made very little in the way of profit, if any. But thanks to Deadpool and Logan, Fox scored two legitimate moneymakers and critical hits.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:05 am

verslibre wrote:The Deathstroke script was the one Ben was going to direct. Ben no longer wanted to direct. Matt obviously has other ideas, as directors like Edgar Wright, Gareth Edwards and Rian Johnson often do.

I know all this already. My point is...if the plan was for the movies to be "self-contained", as Young claims, why did The Batman script so heavily involve Deathstroke? Batman was obviously going to build off Deathstroke's appearance in JL (before it cut to ribbons).

verslibre wrote:There was a five-year gap, and First Class (a great movie) performed well below expectations. As did X-Men: Apocalypse.

So what?
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:40 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
verslibre wrote:The Deathstroke script was the one Ben was going to direct. Ben no longer wanted to direct. Matt obviously has other ideas, as directors like Edgar Wright, Gareth Edwards and Rian Johnson often do.

I know all this already. My point is...if the plan was for the movies to be "self-contained", as Young claims, why did The Batman script so heavily involve Deathstroke? Batman was obviously going to build off Deathstroke's appearance in JL (before it cut to ribbons).

The Batman under Ben's direction was firmly a DCEU movie. A standalone movie can still be part of the universe. The only part Deathstroke played in Justice League was breaking Lex out of prison. We got to see the aftermath.

With Reeves, we don't know if we're getting older Batman or younger Batman. If he goes younger Bruce, then obviously it will be a prequel. Ben's movie wouldn't have been another origin movie. Not sure if Matt's will be.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
verslibre wrote:There was a five-year gap, and First Class (a great movie) performed well below expectations. As did X-Men: Apocalypse.

So what?

The "what" is the X-team movies aren't always a sure thing. And they can be expensive, too. Fox "revised" the budget for Apocalypse just before they released it. I thought that was funny.

I like what I read about Dark Phoenix, though. It's supposed to literally be the darkest X-Men movie yet.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:49 am

I thought they broke fresh ground with "First Class." DOFP, while very enjoyable, was a step backwards to more Wolvie-centric films. Apocalypse had a great opening sequence inside the pyramid....then I fell asleep.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:57 am

First Class is good shit. Future Past was anticlimactic. Fassbender is a way better Magneto than Gandalf.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:22 am

verslibre wrote:First Class is good shit. Future Past was anticlimactic. Fassbender is a way better Magneto than Gandalf.

Hahah Ian was always too old imo. Even in the first one.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:44 am

ANCIENT!
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:54 am

verslibre