DC Extended Universe THREAD

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:25 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:I know all this already. My point is...if the plan was for the movies to be "self-contained", as Young claims, why did The Batman script so heavily involve Deathstroke? Batman was obviously going to build off Deathstroke's appearance in JL (before it cut to ribbons)

I already touched upon this earlier. DC's plan was to set up characters in their team-up films ala BvS and JL to get them ready for their solo adventures. Instead of building their universe with solo films that led up to their teamups, DC wanted to work in reverse and set up their solo features from their teamups. The Marvel brand is the Avengers universe. Their solo films just add to that continuity. DC was to build their solo; self-contained stories through the Justice League and use Justice League to set up their DC characters. DC is not going to be a Justice League universe ala the Avengers. They are going to be an array of self contained characters from all ranges (including villains) that fit into loose continuity. That was always going to be the plan. Snyder referenced this as a "sandbox" approach.

Affleck's script did involve Deathstroke (and JL was supposed to set up Deathstroke in The Batman), but there's no evidence to support that Reeves WON'T be using Deathstroke for his Bat-universe. Sure he threw away Affleck's script, but that doesn't mean Deathstroke will be thrown out completely (I'm sure we'll be finding out more down the road.) Reeves could just easily work DS into his vision.

Reeves already said that his Batman is apart of the DCEU, it's just going to be a standalone film where it doesn't have to worry about what Superman or even Wonder Woman are doing to set up the next film franchise. Wonder Woman even did this. It was loose with continuity and only referenced a thing here or there to BvS, but that was it. Everything else was standalone territory.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:38 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Affleck's script did involve Deathstroke (and JL was supposed to set up Deathstroke in The Batman), but there's no evidence to support that Reeves WON'T be using Deathstroke for his Bat-universe. Sure he threw away Affleck's script, but that doesn't mean Deathstroke will be thrown out completely (I'm sure we'll be finding out more down the road.) Reeves could just easily work DS into his vision.

Reeves already said that his Batman is apart of the DCEU, it's just going to be a standalone film where it doesn't have to worry about what Superman or even Wonder Woman are doing to set up the next film franchise. Wonder Woman even did this. It was loose with continuity and only referenced a thing here or there to BvS, but that was it. Everything else was standalone territory.

That's right. Standalone just means self-contained.

And guess what I just read? Deathstroke is again off-limits for Arrow to use. Which obviously means they have plans to use him on the big screen. So Manu Bennett's return last season will be the last time Arrow viewers see that iteration of Slade Wilson...for now.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby S2M » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:43 am

verslibre wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:Affleck's script did involve Deathstroke (and JL was supposed to set up Deathstroke in The Batman), but there's no evidence to support that Reeves WON'T be using Deathstroke for his Bat-universe. Sure he threw away Affleck's script, but that doesn't mean Deathstroke will be thrown out completely (I'm sure we'll be finding out more down the road.) Reeves could just easily work DS into his vision.

And guess what I just read? Deathstroke is again off-limits for Arrow to use. Which obviously means they have plans to use him on the big screen. So Manu Bennett's return last season will be the last time Arrow viewers see that iteration of Slade Wilson...for now.

Which leaves him plenty of time to slag on Shannara. That god awful Brooks adaption.
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby verslibre » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:51 am

S2M wrote:
verslibre wrote:

Which leaves him plenty of time to slag on Shannara. That god awful Brooks adaption.

A paycheck's a paycheck. Ask Laura Dern. She has the biggest throwaway role ever in The Last Jedi.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Abitaman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:03 am

Just saw on superherohype.com where Ben was talking staying with Batman if WB can get some good stories going. He likes his version of the bat, but things need to get moving right along with the right people. Makes sense.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:09 am

Ben knows he doesn't have to worry about that shit with Reeves. I'm getting tired of his bullshit. Either shit or get off the pot, Ben..Christ.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:15 pm

'Mah man..

YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:02 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:I already touched upon this earlier. DC's plan was to set up characters in their team-up films ala BvS and JL to get them ready for their solo adventures. Instead of building their universe with solo films that led up to their teamups, DC wanted to work in reverse and set up their solo features from their teamups. The Marvel brand is the Avengers universe. Their solo films just add to that continuity. DC was to build their solo; self-contained stories through the Justice League and use Justice League to set up their DC characters. DC is not going to be a Justice League universe ala the Avengers. They are going to be an array of self contained characters from all ranges (including villains) that fit into loose continuity. That was always going to be the plan. Snyder referenced this as a "sandbox" approach.

With all due respect, DC Films is in shambles. Berg just got demoted. They are playing it by ear. There is no master plan.

Reeves won't be using Deathstroke. Count on it. Reeves is saying he wants to do something noir-ish and Hitchcockian.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Abitaman » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:08 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Ben knows he doesn't have to worry about that shit with Reeves. I'm getting tired of his bullshit. Either shit or get off the pot, Ben..Christ.

Have to say I agree with you....but Ben may see the crap that DC is going through, and doesn't want to commit to something like JL again. I would be pissed to have to go back and reshot a lot of my parts to make it funny. I seem to remember Ben liked Zach's take on stuff.
Even though Reeves is a good director, he may not like where it is going story wise. Then again he may not want the hassle of training and tired of the fanboy crap..who knows.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:06 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:I already touched upon this earlier. DC's plan was to set up characters in their team-up films ala BvS and JL to get them ready for their solo adventures. Instead of building their universe with solo films that led up to their teamups, DC wanted to work in reverse and set up their solo features from their teamups. The Marvel brand is the Avengers universe. Their solo films just add to that continuity. DC was to build their solo; self-contained stories through the Justice League and use Justice League to set up their DC characters. DC is not going to be a Justice League universe ala the Avengers. They are going to be an array of self contained characters from all ranges (including villains) that fit into loose continuity. That was always going to be the plan. Snyder referenced this as a "sandbox" approach.

With all due respect, DC Films is in shambles. Berg just got demoted. They are playing it by ear. There is no master plan.

Berg was not demoted. He's moving into the producer role he's wanted since many months ago. Berg joined WB via New Line.

Reeves won't be using Deathstroke. Count on it. Reeves is saying he wants to do something noir-ish and Hitchcockian.

Deathstroke will likely show up elsewhere. When they say Arrow can't use him any longer, it means they have plans for him.

So what do ya think of the Pacific Rim: Uprising trailer? :D
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:18 am

verslibre wrote:Berg was not demoted. He's moving into the producer role he's wanted since many months ago. Berg joined WB via New Line.

C'mon dude! Berg is "moving" the same way "Augeri's doctor will monitor his condition to determine when he may be able to rejoin the tour."
Every major trade paper in Hollywood said the guy got sacked.

verslibre wrote:So what do ya think of the Pacific Rim: Uprising trailer? :D

Looks Transformer-y and overly commercialized. Could still be good even without Del Toro. Rim is one of these interesting films that cleaned up overseas to warrant a sequel. Did just OK stateside.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:27 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Every major trade paper in Hollywood said the guy got sacked.

That's not the rhetoric The Wrap and Deadline used. They reported "Berg will segue into the producer role," adding Emmerich said "[Jon] approached me about this six months ago."

He's not being demoted, fired, or anything like that.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Looks Transformer-y and overly commercialized. Could still be good even without Del Toro. Rim is one of these interesting films that cleaned up overseas to warrant a sequel. Did just OK stateside.

Shit, who cares. I loved Mobile Suit Gundam and Macross back in the '80s. Just awesome to even get another movie like that. FWIW, I don't like the Transformers franchise one bit. The Rim-bots are way cooler.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:29 am

verslibre wrote:That's not the rhetoric The Wrap and Deadline used. They reported "Berg will segue into the producer role,"

The Deadline article states: "Variety first reported the news."
So they are just piggybacking off Variety's reporting, which said "DC Shake-Up in the Works After Justice League Stumbles (EXCLUSIVE)"

verslibre wrote:...adding Emmerich said "[Jon] approached me about this six months ago."

Yes, that is the publicity spin statement WB released to ALL press outlets.

verslibre wrote:He's not being demoted, fired, or anything like that.

This is exactly what happened. I guess you also believe that Snyder stepped aside strictly for personal/family reasons too? Wake up and smell the trainwreck.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:39 am

"Shake-up" is a clickbait keyword. :D

The_Noble_Cause wrote:I guess you also believe that Snyder stepped aside strictly for personal/family reasons too? Wake up and smell the trainwreck.

Snyder isn't Ayer. Ayer doesn't care what comes out of his mouth. The truth about WB's suits and their prioritizing their bonuses has since come to light. Nobody's saying Berg fucked up so he's gotta go. Berg himself said he wants to be a producer. Are we supposed to say nah, you're a liar! Admit you're getting shoved into the basement with George Costanza? :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:24 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:With all due respect, DC Films is in shambles.

That's fair. I don't think DC Films are in the type of shambles to the degree that the most cynical think. The entire BvS fallout came with its repercussions and most of the drama came from the Snyder films. There's plenty of time to lay a new foundation brick by brick and never look back. They're not playing it by ear as much as they are just trying to set their footing. I welcome any new changes at this point. All they need is a few string of films to be made well and it's go time. The iron is still hot, but they got to start hitting pronto. I'm confident in Wan's Aquaman for sure.

Berg just got demoted.

Yeah but I don't think his role was really all that significant to begin with behind the scenes as much as it was all a PR stunt after BvS to make it look like changes were made. PR for the DCEU is iffy at best but just like Geoff Johns, I don't think Berg was all that secure in his role to begin with as they acted as place-holders until the new regime and near year will ring. I would like WB to give their fans an honest writeup on exactly what the plan is moving forward. I'm tired of it. They need to speak up.

There is no master plan.

That sounds complicated, which is the last thing the DCEU needs right now. Master plan or not, they just need to focus on making good films and trusting their "director friendly" motives.

It's tough to say where and when Deathstroke will be used (if he is going to be used with Reeves AT ALL) but one thing is for certain: he will be used in some capacity or another.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:31 pm

Abitaman wrote:Even though Reeves is a good director, he may not like where it is going story wise. Then again he may not want the hassle of training and tired of the fanboy crap..who knows.

I agree with the bolded red statement I highlighted and I think the training and overall onslaught of responsibility that comes with the Batman role has takin' its toll on Ben. There's a new rumor suggesting that Ben is not only going anywhere, but he is taking FULL REIGNS of the DCEU (I don't believe it.) But yeah, I think givin' Ben's personal life, even if things were going the best they ever could, it would have still been a bad time in his life to be handcuffed to such a high profile role that takes nothing but focus and dedication. I mean, I hope he stays. If he doesn't want to be The Batman anymore, that's cool. Pass it along, but that doesn't mean he has to be killed off or walk away completely. He could still show up and serve as a mentor and have small roles in the films for however he sees fit as Bruce Wayne. That's not so much to ask if he doesn't necessarily want to abandon everything.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby Abitaman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:26 am

I have read on other pages that when Ben gives up the Batman role, they want DC to give up on Batman and go in the Batman Beyond direction. I am NOT for that. Batman is like James Bond or Jack Ryan (put whatever character that has been played by different actors here) more than one person can play them. Most actors have brought something different to the Bat, except for Clooney. So someone else playing Batman is not a bad thing, but I do hope it is Ben for a few more films.

Dc really needs to take charge over their movies and tell WB to step back. I liked the Zach movies, sure they had some weak points, but they were different (breath of fresh air to Marvel's joke a minute approach) visually stunning and made you think and talk about what you saw. But for the normal movie goer it was too different, and that was a shame. With the exception of WW and the most of the the Dark Knights, Zach movies where the best. JL suffered because he was unable to finish/removed/quit/whatever. If he could had finished his vision, DC would look better for it.

As far as Zach and the reason behind him leaving JL. I think it is a combination of things. Never seen it come out and said anywhere, just kind of me reading between the lines. 1) WB did not like his cut, too long, not funny enough, still too dark, whatever. 2) Joss was brought in to help with rewrites 3) Death of his daughter. I think it all added up too with his daughter's death and WB wanting so much changed from his vision, and not liking the rewrites, that Zach said screw it. There is more important things like family, than working with a bunch ungrateful, wishy-washy, money hungry suits. Zach had a plan for the movie and WB knew it. WB started getting colf feet, so that start changing all this stuff after the film was finished. Instead of redoing everything he walked.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:33 am

You should post more, Abitman. You are basically right on the money. Good write-up.

Everyone always points to the reception and aftermath of BvS, but WB's cold feet and panic started to set in the middle of BvS's post production. The studio execs were reported to give BvS: The Ultimate Cut, a standing ovation at their screening. But weeks later the reports started coming out that they were worried about the film being too dark and in comes the Jimmy Kimmel Live trailer #2 that showed Doomsday and the Trinity fighting together ( stupid ass's!) which was them saying "Hey! Umm, we know this is Superman and Batman's fight but don't worry! They'll come together!" So they fucked that up. Then the final trailer came which was Batman centric so to even out the worry about the film being too dark, this is where they banked on Batman to make up for it because it's Batman. This was a bad move because they slashed the film so much, especially Superman's motives (like Clark Kent investigating Batman in Gotham) that it did them no good in the end. So with WB yet again being a runaway bride with their descision making to cut BvS down, they also started the same BS with Ayers SSquad. WB is the DC's main villain. I wish DC could tell WB to step back and check their punkass's at the door but the thing is....WB is DC. DC is WB. Warner owns the rights. It's going to have to be a director to negotiate their terms. That's the only thing that's good about this fallout at the moment. DC Films are a little rocky so this bodes well for the ball to be in the directors court to negotiate their vision because WB sure as hell fucked this all up.

As for Justice League..just...

...just.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby Abitaman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:40 am

....just......what?!?!
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:22 am

Abitaman wrote:I have read on other pages that when Ben gives up the Batman role, they want DC to give up on Batman and go in the Batman Beyond direction. I am NOT for that. Batman is like James Bond or Jack Ryan (put whatever character that has been played by different actors here) more than one person can play them. Most actors have brought something different to the Bat, except for Clooney. So someone else playing Batman is not a bad thing, but I do hope it is Ben for a few more films.

I've not seen that. That's essentially cyberpunk Batman (with a lot of Akira-isms) and I don't think the time for that is now. Reeves will likely head in a direction that fuses every Batman we've seen since '89, minus Schumacher's (5-10% Burton at best). I could see him looking more to Denny O'Neill, Doug Moench and Grant Morrison as an influence than Frank Miller and Geoff Johns this time around.

Abitaman wrote:Dc really needs to take charge over their movies and tell WB to step back. I liked the Zach movies, sure they had some weak points, but they were different (breath of fresh air to Marvel's joke a minute approach) visually stunning and made you think and talk about what you saw. But for the normal movie goer it was too different, and that was a shame. With the exception of WW and the most of the the Dark Knights, Zach movies where the best. JL suffered because he was unable to finish/removed/quit/whatever. If he could had finished his vision, DC would look better for it.

That's the weird thing we'll never really be able to pinpoint. Everyone I know who doesn't have an online presence liked BvS. Only on the Interwebs did I note negative feedback for the movie. There's all this stock in RT, but most of the people who made it climb to 873 million probably don't know what RT is and don't care. They may catch a review on the local news or in the local paper, but their main impetus was "Batman, Superman AND Wonder Woman! Gotta see it!"

Why exactly did JL open under 100 million? There are a number of educated guesses but it's still odd considering it's an event film that had the momentum of Wonder Woman working for it.

In the end, WB watered it down too much.

Abitaman wrote:As far as Zach and the reason behind him leaving JL. I think it is a combination of things. Never seen it come out and said anywhere, just kind of me reading between the lines. 1) WB did not like his cut, too long, not funny enough, still too dark, whatever. 2) Joss was brought in to help with rewrites 3) Death of his daughter. I think it all added up too with his daughter's death and WB wanting so much changed from his vision, and not liking the rewrites, that Zach said screw it. There is more important things like family, than working with a bunch ungrateful, wishy-washy, money hungry suits. Zach had a plan for the movie and WB knew it. WB started getting cold feet, so that start changing all this stuff after the film was finished. Instead of redoing everything he walked.

That's pretty much what it boils down to. He hasn't washed his hands of WB completely, though. Zack and Deb are producers on Wonder Woman 2. And for what it's worth, Zack DID cast Gal, he DID contribute to Wonder Woman, and has a cameo in it!
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:50 pm

:lol:

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:12 am

verslibre wrote:That's pretty much what it boils down to. He hasn't washed his hands of WB completely, though.

Uh, no. By all accounts, WB washed their hands of Zack.

https://www.thewrap.com/justice-league- ... der-woman/

verslibre wrote:Zack and Deb are producers on Wonder Woman 2.

Obligatory name-only producing credits happens all the time.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby RedWingFan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:39 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:

The iron is still hot, but they got to start hitting pronto.

If the iron was still hot, JL wouldn't have had the worst opening of the 5. People have come to expect mediocre to below average movies from DC. They've crippled the brand. I'm afraid the iron is quite cold. The only question is how many more of these will they make until they try to reboot.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:43 am

RedWingFan wrote:If the iron was still hot, JL wouldn't have had the worst opening of the 5. People have come to expect mediocre to below average movies from DC. They've crippled the brand. I'm afraid the iron is quite cold. The only question is how many more of these will they make until they try to reboot.

I'm afraid I mostly agree. Wonder Woman comes out of this unscathed. Everything else is a waste. DC should let Reeves do his Batman movie and then proceed from there.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:18 pm

DC IS rebranding. Months before JL even released, they announced a DC Films banner that would have films act on their own plane where their movies would be multiple things under different directors. If Wonder Woman is unscathed, then the iron is still hot. Shazam is basically underway. Wan's Aquaman has every chance at being a hit. Wonder Woman 2 is a go and Reeves' Batman has a direction. The DCEU will softboot and tell individual stories where directors can be more creative in what their films may include. DC wants to have romances, horror's, drama's and comedies ranging from all over the spectrum. The JL Snyderverse is no more but that doesn't mean talented directors won't turn things around. The audience's forgive fast. Make one hyped up movie with buzz around it and that's all that's needed.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:39 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Uh, no. By all accounts, WB washed their hands of Zack.

If/when Zack gets The Last Photograph made, it will be under the banner of WB.

In fact, in that article, some of the suits at WB concede that not pushing Justice League back was a mistake, but the reason it was not was (drum roll) due to a certain bunch wanting their year-end bonuses.

More accurately, Zack's not directing any more CBMs for WB.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Obligatory name-only producing credits happens all the time.

If they have nothing to do with it, their names will be dropped. As of right now, there are no other producers' names connected to Wonder Woman 2.
Last edited by verslibre on Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:40 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:If Wonder Woman is unscathed, then the iron is still hot.

That's the gist of it!
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:45 pm

RedWingFan wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:

The iron is still hot, but they got to start hitting pronto.

If the iron was still hot, JL wouldn't have had the worst opening of the 5. People have come to expect mediocre to below average movies from DC. They've crippled the brand. I'm afraid the iron is quite cold. The only question is how many more of these will they make until they try to reboot.

Shazam! will be a crowd-pleaser.

The Batman will be money in the bank.

Needless to say, Wonder Woman 2 will also bank it, and be a critical win.

The right thing for WB to do is add a Superman movie to the slate, and get on with Suicide Squad 2, because critical hit or no, those characters were a win with the GA.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:07 am

verslibre wrote:If/when Zack gets The Last Photograph made, it will be under the banner of WB.

Specifically, I mean DC movies. They banked everything on Snyder and it did not pay off. They prolly wish they had chosen Joss from the very start.

verslibre wrote:More accurately, Zack's not directing any more CBMs for WB.

Yes, that's what I mean.

verslibre wrote:If they have nothing to do with it, their names will be dropped. As of right now, there are no other producers' names connected to Wonder Woman 2.

Nolan had a producing credit on BvsS and really had minimal to no involvement. This happens all the time.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:07 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Nolan had a producing credit on BvsS and really had minimal to no involvement. This happens all the time.

I understand, but Wonder Woman 2 is nowhere near actual production. Either way, it's not really worth mincing words over.
verslibre
Compact Disc

PreviousNext

Return to Presidump David Dennison